Speculation: 2019 NHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Is Brink a "soul skater", though?

I just want the Pens to draft him for the reference at this point.

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
Never trade down always trade up.
Quality over quantity. I do not understand this fascination that people have with trading back, especially in NHL drafts where you are dealing with 18 year olds.
The Penguins have historically have always drafted horribly in the 2nd round. At least with some of their 1st round busts they have been able to trade them off with some value.

I know judging future 2nd round picks by past performance seems silly but ill let the record speak for itself. Its a fact that the Pittsburgh Penguins 3rd round picks are on average better NHL players than our 2nds. Check for yourselves.
Pittsburgh Penguins Draft History at hockeydb.com

Reactions: The Old Master

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
Actually I will modify that stance..... if you want to trade back then trade back out of the 2nd into the 3rd. We might add some NHL talent then. Otherwise trade up from 2nd to 1st

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Never trade down always trade up.
Quality over quantity. I do not understand this fascination that people have with trading back, especially in NHL drafts where you are dealing with 18 year olds.
The Penguins have historically have always drafted horribly in the 2nd round. At least with some of their 1st round busts they have been able to trade them off with some value.

I know judging future 2nd round picks by past performance seems silly but ill let the record speak for itself. Its a fact that the Pittsburgh Penguins 3rd round picks are on average better NHL players than our 2nds. Check for yourselves.
Pittsburgh Penguins Draft History at hockeydb.com
I would agree. Don't give ourselves even more room for error by moving back. Keep that first, and if possible, move up.

Reactions: Sam Adams and Jacob

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Craig Button has us picking Lavoie at pick #21.

Yeah, no..I hope not...if not one of the top five or six D men, then we should trade the pick ...hopefully for Kapanen, Johnsson or Meyer from the cash strapped Sharks or Leafs...

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yeah, no..I hope not...if not one of the top five or six D men, then we should trade the pick ...hopefully for Kapanen, Johnsson or Meyer from the cash strapped Sharks or Leafs...
hard to think there won't be a better pick out there. I would take a chance on doro before I would lavoie.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pronman's updated mock draft has us Bjornfot just before Brink/Tomasino/Suzuki go.

edit: And there's a completely unverified rumour from a guy on Pensburgh that the team's talked about Matthew Robertson a lot.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Pronman's updated mock draft has us Bjornfot just before Brink/Tomasino/Suzuki go.

edit: And there's a completely unverified rumour from a guy on Pensburgh that the team's talked about Matthew Robertson a lot.

@Jesse mentioned Bjornfot in his article today too

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If the Penguins are interested in Robertson, that's a guy I could see them trading down to pick. He's pretty consistently ranked below where they pick is at.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am not sure why everybody has soured on Lavoie. Dude has a huge frame, skates well and can shoot. Would I rather have Cole Caufield, Matthew Boldy or Trevor Zegras? Sure, but if Lavoie falls to us I would gladly take him.

Besides, the QMJHL has been very very good to this organization. There is good karma here.

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm a little surprised that Bjornfot seems to be rising so much given the upside/offence concerns, but he does read like a very safe useful pick who could be something big.

I think the discussions about his upside are so weird considering how good of a skater he is. The guy just takes the game by the scruff and single handedly impacts 5v5 production with his breakouts. He's a driver of offence.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I am not sure why everybody has soured on Lavoie. Dude has a huge frame, skates well and can shoot. Would I rather have Cole Caufield, Matthew Boldy or Trevor Zegras? Sure, but if Lavoie falls to us I would gladly take him.

Besides, the QMJHL has been very very good to this organization. There is good karma here.
I can only speak for myself. with his size he should look good simply over powering younger smaller players.
(and he wont be able to in the nhl.) and if he had skill to go with it , he would/should of put up far more points than he did.imo so he might not be a bad player, but drafting at 21 in this draft. we need to be picking someone with far more upside than him.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I can only speak for myself. with his size he should look good simply over powering younger smaller players.
(and he wont be able to in the nhl.) and if he had skill to go with it , he would/should of put up far more points than he did.imo so he might not be a bad player, but drafting at 21 in this draft. we need to be picking someone with far more upside than him.

So, you fear his upside is limited? Because he isn't even 200 pounds yet on a 6-4 frame. Scored 30 goals the year before his draft year. The numbers this past year did not balloon like a lot of guys in their draft year in the CHL, I suppose, but his playoffs were dominant.

What if he is simply one of those guys whose breakout comes the year after he gets drafted? Happens all the time. I tend to think bigger guys take a little longer.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't take too much stock in the Pens' past poor performance with regards to second round picks. You're pretty much relying entirely on superstition if you say they should give up on the second round and move down into the third round.

Here are the second round picks by the Pens under Rutherford:
2014: No 2nd.
2015: Sprong
2016: Gustavsson, Bjorkqvist
2017: Lauzon
2018: Addison, Hallander

Lauzon's really the only one we can say for certain wasn't good. It's still early for most of the others, but they all at least have promise (albeit Gustavsson with another organization now).

Incidentally, here are Rutherford's third round picks:
2014: No 3rd
2015: No 3rd
2016: Connor Hall
2017: Clayton Phillips
2018: No 3rd.

Read into that however you like.

When it comes to trading down, though, it depends on a bunch of factors, some of which are outside the Pens' control. If nobody wants to move up, you're out of luck, no matter what you want to do. But if another team wants to move up, and the Pens have a group of guys they like equally, then taking a chance at being able to pick more than one out of that group is something you should do every single time.

Reactions: Peat

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If we go Scandinavian I’ll probably convince myself it was a good pick (even if I don’t like it) since Allvin should know the area so well in theory.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
If we go Scandinavian I’ll probably convince myself it was a good pick (even if I don’t like it) since Allvin should know the area so well in theory.

I think we should look towards that region with our later picks. There's a lot of talent to be had in Sweden in particular and Allvin should have great knowledge.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Key word is theory - think he lives in Detroit or Chicago now, one of the two. Although I guess these would still be kids he's been tracking for a while.

Sam Adams

Jun 19, 2019
I wouldn't take too much stock in the Pens' past poor performance with regards to second round picks. You're pretty much relying entirely on superstition if you say they should give up on the second round and move down into the third round.

Here are the second round picks by the Pens under Rutherford:
2014: No 2nd.
2015: Sprong
2016: Gustavsson, Bjorkqvist
2017: Lauzon
2018: Addison, Hallander

Lauzon's really the only one we can say for certain wasn't good. It's still early for most of the others, but they all at least have promise (albeit Gustavsson with another organization now).

Incidentally, here are Rutherford's third round picks:
2014: No 3rd
2015: No 3rd
2016: Connor Hall
2017: Clayton Phillips
2018: No 3rd.

Read into that however you like.

When it comes to trading down, though, it depends on a bunch of factors, some of which are outside the Pens' control. If nobody wants to move up, you're out of luck, no matter what you want to do. But if another team wants to move up, and the Pens have a group of guys they like equally, then taking a chance at being able to pick more than one out of that group is something you should do every single time.

Hall was promising but the injuries.
Phillips remains to be seen. Dman at U of Minn, no idea how he is looking as he just finished his soph year. Same with the 2nd rounders. I was speaking of the team historically, in generalities, multiple gms, since say 1990. But fair enough in regards to JR.
Maybe we should examine Carolinas picks under him. Or maybe not lol

Carolina Hurricanes Draft History at hockeydb.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad