Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
I know we're all dreaming of Hughes, but the high-end talent in this draft is great. We're getting a good player.

Cozens and Dach are very intriguing, if we miss out on Hughes, I'd take one of them. Does Kakko project as a center? If so, I'd add him to the mix.

Reactions: Larkin1578

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I know we're all dreaming of Hughes, but the high-end talent in this draft is great. We're getting a good player.

Cozens and Dach are very intriguing, if we miss out on Hughes, I'd take one of them. Does Kakko project as a center? If so, I'd add him to the mix.
I think he's in the mix anyway, but this plot twist about playing center is exciting.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Even he is not ,we have plenty wingers to trade for prospects

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In terms of winger conversion I like Podkolzin's chance at playing center in the NHL better than Kakko, though I am not sure either guy is really a NHL center. Both guys have a lot less chance of playing in the middle than Hughes for me, and some people are questioning if he is a center.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I hope things stay just like this. Hughes and Kakko can stay as the 1-2, odds are we won’t get those picks.

Having Dach and Cozens in the 3-6 range would be unreal. I don’t think there have been center prospects this good in that range of picks the last few drafts.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Kirby Dach is crazy talented for such a big guy, and he's fast, too. If you can walk away with either Cozens or Dach, you just got a huge, quick, highly skilled power center.

I really like everything about Dach. Lafreniere in that video, though....wow.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I just worry Dach could end up being another Mantha. Rather get a smaller, quicker forward than another big guy. Also most of Dach's goals seem to be tip ins.

Hoping for Hughes, Cozens or Kappo.

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I just worry Dach could end up being another Mantha. Rather get a smaller, quicker forward than another big guy. Also most of Dach's goals seem to be tip ins.

I think Suzuki, Newhook, and Turcotte are the smaller, quicker guys to keep an eye on. The top of the draft looks great, it's going to be fun to keep tabs on while the wings play .125 hockey.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I still think there’s a huge chance management ignores the top forwards and goes straight for the top D available.

That said, they have stated recently that their new philosophy is taking the best player available and not focusing on team gaps. Hopefully they stick by that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

They're different types of players entirely. They're both tall.

Kirby Dach is a playmaker first and foremost, and a much better prospect.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
In terms of winger conversion I like Podkolzin's chance at playing center in the NHL better than Kakko, though I am not sure either guy is really a NHL center. Both guys have a lot less chance of playing in the middle than Hughes for me, and some people are questioning if he is a center.

Has Podzkolin ever played center? Kakko is actually a center whose just on a stacked team in Finland with 2 very good centers ahead of him so hes playing wing because its better than third line mins. Hes a center and he played there last game.

Why not a quicker bigger forward? Small doesnt mean quick and big doesnt mean slow, when youre picking where the wings are, you can have both. Dach is not slow. Also Cozens is 6'4 so why would you not want Dach because hes big but want Cozens?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why not a quicker bigger forward? Small doesnt mean quick and big doesnt mean slow, when youre picking where the wings are, you can have both. Dach is not slow. Also Cozens is 6'4 so why would you not want Dach because hes big but want Cozens?

I don’t follow the logic either, but the case for Cozens would be he has the best shot in this draft class IMO. Lavoie is a close 2nd.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Has Podzkolin ever played center? Kakko is actually a center whose just on a stacked team in Finland with 2 very good centers ahead of him so hes playing wing because its better than third line mins. Hes a center and he played there last game.

Most of our last "big guy" draft picks have been duds.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I hope things stay just like this. Hughes and Kakko can stay as the 1-2, odds are we won’t get those picks.

Having Dach and Cozens in the 3-6 range would be unreal. I don’t think there have been center prospects this good in that range of picks the last few drafts.

I agree that this is a strong draft for centers, and not just at the top of the first. If the draft were today, I would have a really hard time passing on Kakko and Hughes in the first two spots. Both of those guys are huge talents regardless of position.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Most of our last "big guy" draft picks have been duds.

Who is that exactly though? Mantha picked at 20 coming off a 24 goal season in his firs full year with the team? Thats a pretty good pick. Rasmussen is still junior eligible but is already getting an NHL look so we'll see what happens but even he was a 9th overall, not a top 3 or 4. Who else are duds that were big guys? I'm not really going to consider guys like Marc McNulty who were late round picks as duds, they were 6th round picks.

A lot of the wings small guy picks have been duds too, the size isnt the relevant part. Its the fact that most draft picks bust or dont live up to expectations. Picking in the top 3 or 4 reduces that chance greatly and all things considered equal, a bigger player is going to be better than a small one

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I'm hoping that if we do pick first that someone has clearly established themselves as the #1 by the time the draft rolls around. Right now it seems like Hughes is favored but guys like Dach, Kakko, etc. could make an argument of it. I'd really like to see someone kill that argument by the time the draft rolls around. If we're not picking first, I'm thrilled with the depth that should give us someone really good to plug into our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad