GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think I'd actually advocate for Beauvillier on L3 and O'Connor on L1 at this point. I think Beauvillier is very much a Tyler Kennedy type of player and Kennedy was always better on a 3rd line than while playing with either Crosby or Malkin. I think Beauvillier-Eller-Puustinen is a really nice mix for a line, where Puustinen's playmaking can actually be useful with Beauvillier on his line. That being said, I'm skeptical they'll be running with that line.

My expectation for their lines at this point is:

O'Connor-Crosby-Rust
Bunting-Malkin-Rakell
Beauvillier-Eller-Puljujarvi
Lizotte-Hayes-Acciari
Glass-Puustinen

I know they brought in Lizotte to be a center, but I feel like they've been using Lizotte at LW and Hayes at center more so far. I also think Hayes has looked much better at center than on the wing too.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You lose me there. Lizotte skates better than ZAR could in his dreams and plays C.

They wear same number I guess? Don’t see it.

No interest going in circles with you about it though, so sure.

He's a similar player that people rate because of analytics.

He's fine, but I'd much rather see what Glass can pan out as especially given what he's shown in the pre-season.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be fine with McG starting in the NHL in the top-9. I'd also be fine if they did the Guentzel route with him where he got time in the AHL to build confidence and get used to the pro game for half a season before being called up permanently.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think McG is comparable to Beau and Glass at this point…I don’t think any of them have great hands and will score much…Beau and Glass have better speed but McG has much better offensive IQ and is a better playmaker …that’s how I see them…not really feeling Glass or Beau tbh…I’d love to find someone who can score goals and put them in the lineup! Lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think McG is comparable to Beau and Glass at this point…I don’t think any of them have great hands and will score much…Beau and Glass have better speed but McG has much better offensive IQ and is a better playmaker …that’s how I see them…not really feeling Glass or Beau tbh…I’d love to find someone who can score goals and put them in the lineup! Lol

Haven't really liked Beau at all. I'd rather use that roster spot on a young player.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You guys will be very unsurprised to know that I don't see much in Beau and Lizotte on this roster and can't help but feel that they will just get in the way sooner rather than later. I guess at least Glass is sorta interesting because of pedigree and some intriguing flashes. But he's likely waiver fodder in the end, too.

Reactions: Andy99

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
You lose me there. Lizotte skates better than ZAR could in his dreams and plays C.

They wear same number I guess? Don’t see it.

No interest going in circles with you about it though, so sure.
I don’t know. Edge has Lizotte as bottom 50 percentile.

Was 66 the year before and 82 before that. Appears he’s slowing down but I haven’t really followed his career

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
You guys will be very unsurprised to know that I don't see much in Beau and Lizotte on this roster and can't help but feel that they will just get in the way sooner rather than later. I guess at least Glass is sorta interesting because of pedigree and some intriguing flashes. But he's likely waiver fodder in the end, too.
Lizotte and especially Beau have had some nice years but our bottom 6 is where production goes to die so 7 pts in like 62 games feels in the cards :laugh:

I don’t know. Edge has Lizotte as bottom 50 percentile.

Was 66 the year before and 82 before that. Appears he’s slowing down but I haven’t really followed his career
That’s pretty interesting. 66-82 tracks but sub average is wild relative to eye test. Is that all categories?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Lizotte and especially Beau have had some nice years but our bottom 6 is where production goes to die so 7 pts in like 62 games feels in the cards :laugh:

That’s pretty interesting. 66-82 tracks but sub average is wild relative to eye test. Is that all categories?

Yeah I mean... I know I'm not giving these guys a fair shake but c'mon... how many times have we all seen this film?

Re: skating metrics it seems deceptive much of the time. Like IIRC some of the fastest/slowest skaters on the Pens includes names you wouldn't figure just by watching. Bigger guys always look slower, too. Like... DOC is the fastest guy on the Pens but that's never been my impression watching even though you can tell he gets around great for a big guy.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Anyway, not seeing much to get excited about in the bottom six outside of PoolParty if he can keep it up tbh…I like Puusty bc he has better offensive skills than other options and should be on at least PP2. The quick or heavy forecheckers with stone hands that populate our bottom six isn’t good enough…Glass I can see bc of age and being our only right handed center…I’d jettison Beau, Lizette, Acciari as needed…not going to happen but I’d rather play others lol…but it’s Sullivan so…

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd be fine with McG starting in the NHL in the top-9. I'd also be fine if they did the Guentzel route with him where he got time in the AHL to build confidence and get used to the pro game for half a season before being called up permanently.
FYI Guentzel started in WBS for 16 games, got called up for a few, went back down for 17 and then that was all she wrote

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Re: skating metrics it seems deceptive much of the time. Like IIRC some of the fastest/slowest skaters on the Pens includes names you wouldn't figure just by watching. Bigger guys always look slower, too. Like... DOC is the fastest guy on the Pens but that's never been my impression watching even though you can tell he gets around great for a big guy.
I can buy OC being our fastest F (because our Fs are super slow) but kinda insane EK wouldn’t be the fastest player. Games I’ve been to he was easily our best skater.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not really holding out any hope that any of the bottom-6 guys show anything offensively, tbh. This coach took a 100pt blueliner and tried to make him into Paul Martin--to predictably disastrous results. With the way Sully utilizes bottom-6ers, and the lackluster personnel at hand, it's gonna be another dogshit season from that group more likely than not. Like, I genuinely don't give a shit who the 4th liners are. Throw 'em in a blender and run whatever, probably ain't gonna make a lick of difference. :laugh:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can buy OC being our fastest F (because our Fs are super slow) but kinda insane EK wouldn’t be the fastest player. Games I’ve been to he was easily our best skater.

For sure but I think these metrics really only take straight line speed and top bursts into account. A player's OVERALL skating ability is what you tend to notice when you watch. And a player like EK has SUCH superior edgework, agility, stopping/starting etc. to DOC that I think that's where the deception is. Because I agree... I watch the team and EK, Letang and Crosby ALL seem like "faster" players than DOC. They aren't... but they are much better on their skates.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Tuned out for the past few months. Does McGroarty actually have a chance of cracking this lineup? The bottom-6 looks horri-bad on paper.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Tuned out for the past few months. Does McGroarty actually have a chance of cracking this lineup? The bottom-6 looks horri-bad on paper.
i don't think so.

that's not a good thing.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I'm fine stashing Groats in the AHL at least to start but man... I dunno... dude has looked mostly fine against some decent competetion and has even kicked in a couple points. I still have some concerns over some of his puck skills and skating but I think a more adventurous organization that realizes it doesn't have much to lose would audition him with the team's top six. There is KIND of a hole at LW, after all. I mean... it's just the preseason. Maybe they still will IDK.
i thought he started out very well last night, but as the game went on he started to show the old groot. when he needs to react (on de) his skating is not good as is his whole def. play.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
They’re definitely giving McGroarty every chance possible to show he should be in the NHL. I thought he was really damn good yesterday with Acciari and Puljujarvi. It would be interesting if they want to give him a shot in the NHL due to Lizotte’s injury.

I’m a bit interested in seeing how the Puustinen situation plays out. He did have that really nice assist on the powerplay but I thought he was really quiet yesterday outside of that. If he’s fighting Puljujarvi for a spot, Puljujarvi is definitely winning for it. There is definitely a spot for both in the bottom-6 but I have a feeling that Sullivan views Puljujarvi and Puustinen fighting for the same spot.

Yea I was at the game last night and focused a ton on Puus bc I really like him. I saw the same...a very weak effort.

At min I think he has a spot on this team's woeful PP, but admittedly am biased.

Mike Sullivan's mantra----- "youth is wasted on THIS TEAM"

Fixed it for you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad