Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm hoping that if we do pick first that someone has clearly established themselves as the #1 by the time the draft rolls around. Right now it seems like Hughes is favored but guys like Dach, Kakko, etc. could make an argument of it. I'd really like to see someone kill that argument by the time the draft rolls around. If we're not picking first, I'm thrilled with the depth that should give us someone really good to plug into our team.

Who is going #1 isn't actually a question at all in the scouting community from what I know. I have yet to hear from a single NHL scout that it is in question. There are people trying to make arguments as in ordinary people, but barring a significant injury Jack Hughes is going #1. It isn't going to change.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Need to find a way to get a late 1st again.

Early 1st - Cozens/Dach/Turcotte
Late 1st - Bjornfot/Vlasic/Robertson

Why not Hughes? I'm assuming you are talking about your "realistic" wants as opposed to the 18.5% (or lower) chance we get at Hughes?

I'm torn on Dach, Cozens, Kakko right now. No idea who I would take at 2,3,4. I haven't seen enough from the Alex's (Turcotte and Newhook) to comment on them. I do know that I will be happy with any of Hughes, Dach, Kakko, Cozens.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Why not Hughes? I'm assuming you are talking about your "realistic" wants as opposed to the 18.5% (or lower) chance we get at Hughes?

I'm torn on Dach, Cozens, Kakko right now. No idea who I would take at 2,3,4. I haven't seen enough from the Alex's (Turcotte and Newhook) to comment on them. I do know that I will be happy with any of Hughes, Dach, Kakko, Cozens.

Yeah, even if we get dead last we have less than a 1/3 chance at Hughes/Kakko. So I’m not expecting it, because it’s not the likely outcome.

Odds are we are looking at a pick somewhere 3-6. In that range I would take Cozens, Dach, Byram in that order as of now.

As much as I don’t want a winger, I think Kakko is legit and deserving of being the #2 player. Podkolzin is enticing, but I am huge on the 3 WHL kids (sorry for being a broken record).

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
What's the latest on the consensus opinion on whether or not Jack Hughes will really be ready to handle the physicality of the NHL right out of the draft? Last I checked, it wasn't so great.

The Tank

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
If the choice comes down to Kirby Dach or Dylan Cozens who do you want the Red Wings to draft?
Both right handed centers with similar size but with very different style of game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If the choice comes down to Kirby Dach or Dylan Cozens who do you want the Red Wings to draft?
Both right handed centers with similar size but with very different style of game.

Cozens destroyed the Hlinka... I haven’t seen them as much after, it seems like Dach has been better since, so it’s hard to say.

Can’t really go wrong IMO

Reactions: Fire Ken Holland

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think Cozens is the more complete player that fits the Tyler Wright mold more. Dach I think has higher offensive potential. Personally I'd take Dach as I think he's a little less redundant on our team, and I generally swing for upside. That being said they're close no matter how you shake it.

Reactions: jkutswings

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kaapo or Krebs for me.

I’ll have to watch some more of Krebs. I’ve heard he’s playing center this year and looks good there. I know he’s a great skater and he’s smart, might also still be growing still.

Last edited:
Reactions: Larkin1578

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Right now, I'm locked in on four guys: Hughes, Kakko, Cozens and Dach. I want a high-end center.

It looks like the wings are going to have a pretty good shot at a potential frnachise center and I'm in on any of those four right now too (its early though).. but one guy to watch is Bowen Byram. Going into this season he was the second ranked dman projected to go somewhere 5-10 but he has started really strong from all I've read. He could be a guy that climbs into that top 3-5 range

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
It looks like the wings are going to have a pretty good shot at a potential frnachise center and I'm in on any of those four right now too (its early though).. but one guy to watch is Bowen Byram. Going into this season he was the second ranked dman projected to go somewhere 5-10 but he has started really strong from all I've read. He could be a guy that climbs into that top 3-5 range
For sure, sounds like he has potential to be a great all-around #1 D man. I'm really hoping we can fetch another 1st round pick at the deadline, but unfortunately I don't think that is likely. Maybe Nyquist can get us that other first-rounder, but I see him getting us a second rounder +. Would be great to have four picks in the top-36 again in the 2019 draft.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
For sure, sounds like he has potential to be a great all-around #1 D man. I'm really hoping we can fetch another 1st round pick at the deadline, but unfortunately I don't think that is likely. Maybe Nyquist can get us that other first-rounder, but I see him getting us a second rounder +. Would be great to have four picks in the top-36 again in the 2019 draft.
I know it's really hard to do, but if there's still 5-6 fantastic prospects at the top of the draft in June, I wonder if there will be a team in the mix that would listen to a trade package, where Detroit sends a handful of assets their way in exchange for ending up with TWO of the top ten picks.

Normally it's an exorbitant trade to make - and rarely has an interested partner - but it's fun to dream. :D

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I'm open to defense, but I'm in a wait and see mode with them. It could be huge if we land the top defenseman, and maybe we win next year's lottery. Lafreniere looks unreal.

Larkin1578

Jun 22, 2015
Hughes is my definite want..but if the Wings don't get #1 overall then in this order: Cozens, Kakko, Krebs and then Dach. Cozens really jumped up the chart for me lately.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
My way too early top 10 is:

1.) Jack Hughes

2.) Kirby Dach
3.) Dylan Cozens
4.) Philip Broberg
5.) Vasily Podkolzin
6.) Kappo Kakko
7.) Bowen Byram
8.) Alex Turcotte
9.) Peyton Krebs
10.) Alex Vlasic

Broberg has a chance to be my #2 overall, I really like his game a lot. I have issues with Lavoie's skating, he is a guy I am monitoring closely though in terms of this picture. I am not as high on Kakko as most though this might be a Rantanen level mistake, but I have him lower than most and will likely continue to as I like the guys I have over him already in my top 5 a lot this year. The list always changes for me though over the course of the season, last year for instance Zadina was a guy that dropped for me throughout the year and Tkachuk steadily went up my board into my top 5 so time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezekial and Frk It

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
My way too early top 10 is:

1.) Jack Hughes

2.) Kirby Dach
3.) Dylan Cozens
4.) Philip Broberg
5.) Vasily Podkolzin
6.) Kappo Kakko
7.) Bowen Byram
8.) Alex Turcotte
9.) Peyton Krebs
10.) Alex Vlasic

Broberg has a chance to be my #2 overall, I really like his game a lot. I have issues with Lavoie's skating, he is a guy I am monitoring closely though in terms of this picture. I am not as high on Kakko as most though this might be a Rantanen level mistake, but I have him lower than most and will likely continue to as I like the guys I have over him already in my top 5 a lot this year. The list always changes for me though over the course of the season, last year for instance Zadina was a guy that dropped for me throughout the year and Tkachuk steadily went up my board into my top 5 so time will tell.

Good conversation starter, I like it.

If I had to make a top 10 this early it would probably look something like this. (I’m a lot more familiar with the USDP and WHL kids)

1). Hughes
2). Kakko
3). Cozens
4). Dach
5). Byram
6) Turcotte
7.) Podkolzin
8) Krebs
9). Lavoie
10) Suzuki
11.) York

*Newhook should probably be on here, but I’ll be honest I just haven’t been able to see him play

Not sure Lavoie’s skating is that bad, he almost reminds me of Rick Nash a little (not quite as talented).

I like Byram a lot. I feel like he gets a little too looked over in this draft.

Suzuki and York have big upside for me. Those guys once they are older and put some weight on could be high end players with their skill set.

I know we’re both big on Hughes and his talent, but you can’t really ask for more as a consolation prize than someone like Dach or Cozens. Interesting you are that high on Broberg, the skating is definitely apparent, kind of similar to Heiskanen with Dallas in that regard.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

This is a guy who I really liked last season but was unlikely to be drafted due to lack of exposure. Big d-man with skill but very raw physically. He was the highest undrafted player on my Euro draft list. He's young (Aug 31st birthday), so if he keeps it up he might get some attention as an overager.

Christian Lindberg at eliteprospects.com

Just realized he looks exactly like Malte Setkov, at least in that picture.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Good conversation starter, I like it.

If I had to make a top 10 this early it would probably look something like this. (I’m a lot more familiar with the USDP and WHL kids)

1). Hughes
2). Kakko
3). Cozens
4). Dach
5). Byram
6) Turcotte
7.) Podkolzin
8) Krebs
9). Lavoie
10) Suzuki
11.) York

*Newhook should probably be on here, but I’ll be honest I just haven’t been able to see him play

Not sure Lavoie’s skating is that bad, he almost reminds me of Rick Nash a little (not quite as talented).

I like Byram a lot. I feel like he gets a little too looked over in this draft.

Suzuki and York have big upside for me. Those guys once they are older and put some weight on could be high end players with their skill set.

I know we’re both big on Hughes and his talent, but you can’t really ask for more as a consolation prize than someone like Dach or Cozens. Interesting you are that high on Broberg, the skating is definitely apparent, kind of similar to Heiskanen with Dallas in that regard.

Yeah if I have one fairly big flaw in terms of player evaluation it is that I am really enamored with skating. It is one of the major reasons I am so over the moon for all the Hughes boys. Now that isn't necessarily bad in terms of the direction of the game, but when I question it that is about as big of a red flag as I can get with a prospect. I especially worry with guys that lack explosion in their first few strides, but I also fall in love with players that might not come around but can skate. K'Andre Miller was a player I became higher and higher on while watching him skate and really he does have significant progress to make to be worth where he was selected. I like the package but there is serious bust potential there for instance.

Broberg reminds me of the young studs though in terms of his ability not only in straight line speed but I love his edge work and his initial explosion that I have seen. Honestly he reminds me of the first time I saw Dobson and that his game just continuously grew on me so I am projecting that onto Broberg. Provorov, Pietrangelo that type. I know there is a lot of offensive hope, but I do see a lot of defensive gifts as well when I have seen him thus far and that excites me a lot. His homerun comparable for me is Seth Jones and you know how I felt about him by his draft. Those are big names, but he has big time potential with his frame and skating.

York, Suzuki and Lavoie are right there for me with York probably being my favorite of that trio currently. I am very intrigued by Vlasic, he is likely to sink a little on my board but I like him a lot especially as big man that has sound hockey IQ to me.

I mean obviously we are in for a difficult season, so like last year I am prospect watching a little more. But that is the first rough draft in terms of where I have everyone right now so I figured I would throw it out there for others to see and we could go through the differences.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Those middle few picks are really not easy this time around. The one I was just thinking about is Turcotte vs Krebs. Turcotte has been hurt, so maybe to this point in the season you'd take Krebs. But I really see both of them as versatile two-way centers, probably on the 2nd line, but a chance on the 1st. Turcotte is such a bull down low for a guy with finesse skill, it's like nobody told him he's not a grinder. And Krebs is such a smart playmaker and such a shifty skater. Neither guy really jumps out at me as having a ton of goalscoring potential at the NHL level, as I don't really love either player's shot. Turcotte might score more goals because he's more likely to be right in the middle of things down low, I guess.

But these are two really good prospects, and they're getting pushed past pick 5. I think that speaks to the quality of players in the top 10 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad