Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I come in peace (maybe leave in pieces... :)). What's the feeling from Sharks fans on a Marleau (50% retained) for Braun and a pick? That's roughly salary neutral (slightly favors SJ) but does it make any sense at all. Maybe a 4th next year or a 5th this year?

I'm a CBJ fan and have an idea to move Savard (20% retained) and Macinnis (B/C prospect) to TML for Kapenen, Marleau and a pick. I'm only thinking of Braun as a 1yr replacement at RD in such a case. Crazy and probably awful but thought I'd ask. Good luck.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I come in peace (maybe leave in pieces... :)). What's the feeling from Sharks fans on a Marleau (50% retained) for Braun and a pick? That's roughly salary neutral (slightly favors SJ) but does it make any sense at all. Maybe a 4th next year or a 5th this year?

I'm a CBJ fan and have an idea to move Savard (20% retained) and Macinnis (B/C prospect) to TML for Kapenen, Marleau and a pick. I'm only thinking of Braun as a 1yr replacement at RD in such a case. Crazy and probably awful but thought I'd ask. Good luck.

Marleau has been my favorite player since he entered the league.

I have zero interest in bringing him back in anything beyond a 1 day retirement deal. I think the last thing the team needs at this point is to bring back any legacy players into the locker room. Honestly, I don't even care if he came at league minimum, we've moved on from Marleau and it needs to stay that way. In my opinion, it's time to move on from Thornton too.

Reactions: one2gamble

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

If anything, we need more coming our way than just Marleau. As much as we'd like to move on from Braun, I don't see why we're adding a pick

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011

lol.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Braun is a borderline top-4D on a solid contract with 1 year left. On his own, he will fetch us a 2nd round pick+. Some, on our board, estimate his value as a late 1st or 2 2nds.
Marleau in his current form is a top-9 winger @ 6M. I would say he has negative value with that AAV. Marleau @ 50% retention may fetch a late round pick from some team.

In addition, another issue with us getting Marleau is that it eats into the cap space we need to sign any premium UFA's (if we get lucky enough to do so). We are most likely looking at trading Braun and/or Dillon for picks anyway, so even though Patty @ 50% for Braun is a wash from a salary perspective, it keep our available cap space about the same.

Plus honestly, there is no value in that trade for us.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
There is an idea being floated that Arizona or Colorado may trade for Marleau just to buy him out. If that happens then I can see Marleau coming back to SJ next season on a cheap one year deal. I don't know if Toronto is willing to pay the price required for that to happen though. I think they'd have to trade something like a 1st or Kadri or Kapanen or Johnsson to make that happen.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Saw someone post that Sharks had interest in Alex Edler. Which, like, why? To replace EK65? He's 33 and while not bad, I dunno...

If you can get him on a reasonable term which would be 4 years max then yeah interest makes sense regardless of Karlsson's status.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Saw someone post that Sharks had interest in Alex Edler. Which, like, why? To replace EK65? He's 33 and while not bad, I dunno...
Actually I think Edler would be a good fit if we lose out on EK65. He is a LD and can move the puck. Good defensively too.

I just don' think he wants to leave Vancouver. Will probably re-sign there.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I’ve read that Edler wants a NMC so he won’t be available for the expansion draft.

Ideally, he signs a 2 year deal. If not, we could still make it work.

Forwards:
------------
Kane, Hertl, Meier, Labanc, Couture

Defense:
----------
Vlasic, Burns

Goalie:
--------
Jones

If we go 7F and 3D, we can still protect 2 more forwards (all the Cuda prospects would currently be exempt) and 1 more D. Unless Gambrell turns it around big time next year, we don't need to protect him. So in theory, we could protect Edler if we wanted to. Though, I would rather not because our D core would be looking old by then.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’ve read that Edler wants a NMC so he won’t be available for the expansion draft.

If that's what it took to bring him in at a max term of four years, I would do it. Edler doesn't need to be the guy they expose for that purpose. If Karlsson stays and they snag Edler, they can still go 4-4 for the expansion there. Protect Edler, Burns, Karlsson, and Vlasic then protect Hertl, Meier, Labanc, and Couture. Still another two full seasons before this becomes a worry.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If that's what it took to bring him in at a max term of four years, I would do it. Edler doesn't need to be the guy they expose for that purpose. If Karlsson stays and they snag Edler, they can still go 4-4 for the expansion there. Protect Edler, Burns, Karlsson, and Vlasic then protect Hertl, Meier, Labanc, and Couture. Still another two full seasons before this becomes a worry.
Don't we have to protect Kane because of his modified NTC.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
It’s weird I feel like I’ve seen Edler play for years but don’t have an honest idea of his style. Sort of a big, all-around defenseman who puts up points, yeah? Can he skate? Is he even big?! dammit, Jargon, pay attention.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If you can get him on a reasonable term which would be 4 years max then yeah interest makes sense regardless of Karlsson's status.
I’d say 3 years is the max that Edler gets from us or anyone else. 3 years at 4-4.5 mil a year definitely peaks my interest though assuming Dillon and Braun are moved and another top 4 D is brought in (Radko Gudas is a guy I’m eyeing in addition to Trouba/Myers). Would leave us with something like this:

Vlasic-Burns
Edler-Trouba/Myers/Gudas
Simek-Desimonne/Heed

I’d be quite happy with that defense. Plenty of size and puck moving ability along with some scoring punch. Also should leave salary cap room to make a significant addition to the forward group.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’d say 3 years is the max that Edler gets from us or anyone else. 3 years at 4-4.5 mil a year definitely peaks my interest though assuming Dillon and Braun are moved and another top 4 D is brought in (Radko Gudas is a guy I’m eyeing in addition to Trouba/Myers). Would leave us with something like this:

Vlasic-Burns
Edler-Trouba/Myers/Gudas
Simek-Desimonne/Heed

I’d be quite happy with that defense. Plenty of size and puck moving ability along with some scoring punch. Also should leave salary cap room to make a significant addition to the forward group.

I don't see Edler taking a pay cut on the open market unless he's picking to go to a specific spot for personal reasons. If he's legitimately seeing what's out there and is willing to go to the best deal available, he's not going to see a pay cut.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don't see Edler taking a pay cut on the open market unless he's picking to go to a specific spot for personal reasons. If he's legitimately seeing what's out there and is willing to go to the best deal available, he's not going to see a pay cut.
He’s 33 and has missed an average of 18 games a season over the past 6 years. I don’t see how he has any realistic expectation of getting a raise...

Reactions: Sandisfan

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He’s 33 and has missed an average of 18 games a season over the past 6 years. I don’t see how he has any realistic expectation of getting a raise...

Simply supply and demand. Look what's out there and realize he's one of the best d-men available. Most won't care about the injury issues if he's there when the playoffs come around. He'll get at least what he made on his last contract.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Simply supply and demand. Look what's out there and realize he's one of the best d-men available. Most won't care about the injury issues if he's there when the playoffs come around. He'll get at least what he made on his last contract.
He’s well behind the Gardiner, Karlsson, Myers group in terms of demand. Add in the availability of some guys via trade and I don’t think he gets more than $4.5 mil. Think Hamuis deal with Dallas is a solid comp for him (and not just because they both played in Vancouver). Similar caliber players hitting UFA at similar age.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He’s well behind the Gardiner, Karlsson, Myers group in terms of demand. Add in the availability of some guys via trade and I don’t think he gets more than $4.5 mil. Think Hamuis deal with Dallas is a solid comp for him (and not just because they both played in Vancouver). Similar caliber players hitting UFA at similar age.

That all may be true but that doesn't speak to some vast amount of supply available. The supply of quality defensemen is scarce and Edler is in that class. The Hamhuis deal was at a time where Hamhuis was already in steep decline and was a worse player with skills that are not in as much demand as Edler's. 34 points in 56 games this past season is going to get him paid regardless. It just may not get an extended term.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I really like Edler but a 38 year old Edler in that fourth year would suck. I think he’s going to have a hard time getting a fourth year, but don’t think 3*6M is out of the question.

At 4.5M that’s a pretty good contract but you’d need to count on Ryan for 30 games (which for SJ works out okay).

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
mmm Im honestly not big of a fan with of the combo ryan Burns, I think Simek is fine. Unless we trade vlasic for assets we're fine without edler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad