Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
One reason I could see a team besides the Sharks wanting to give Pavelski more money/term than we would is that he could be really great on one of those perpetually under-performing-supposedly-talented teams where "culture" is mentioned as the problem. One of those teams, bringing in someone like Captain America to lead/mentor the team could be very appealing. Like, that's one reason why Toronto wanted Marleau, and all of Mathews/Marner/Nylander cite Marleau's mentoring as huge factors in their development. I think Pavelski could do the same thing, perhaps on a team like Buffalo, who seems to desperately need leadership.

Reactions: Roasted Nuts

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
One reason I could see a team besides the Sharks wanting to give Pavelski more money/term than we would is that he could be really great on one of those perpetually under-performing-supposedly-talented teams where "culture" is mentioned as the problem. One of those teams, bringing in someone like Captain America to lead/mentor the team could be very appealing. Like, that's one reason why Toronto wanted Marleau, and all of Mathews/Marner/Nylander cite Marleau's mentoring as huge factors in their development. I think Pavelski could do the same thing, perhaps on a team like Buffalo, who seems to desperately need leadership.
Is Pavs just chasing the dollars or does he want to win a cup?

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
I agree that Couture would be a great choice for the next captain.

Too many teams need a top 6 center. Duchene’s contract is going to be stupid high for 7 years.

DW has a very difficult decision with Pavelski. He can get paid a lot of money if he chooses to go UFA and it’s clear that a decline in his play is coming soon.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gilligans Island

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Too many teams need a top 6 center. Duchene’s contract is going to be stupid high for 7 years.

DW has a very difficult decision with Pavelski. He can get paid a lot of money if he chooses to go UFA and it’s clear that a decline in his play is coming soon.

Even without EK in the mix, I'm absolutely torn on Pavelski. Agree, he's headed for a downfall and other than the leadership intangibles and mastery in going to the soft spots to score on the PP, his game is severely limited. It's probably an insult to him but I'd do a 2 yr @ $6.5M or a 3 yr @ $5M. If EK re-signs, I don't know if I'd even do that. He'll tie up too much cap, IMO.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I am actually very curious if they give EK65 the C if he decides to sign with us and we let Pavs walk.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
They aren't letting Pavelski walk, he wants to be here. I honestly like Pavs as C, hes strong. Couture doesn't have the same toughness. I'd like to see Meier earn that C someday though, I can tell he's going to be a career Shark.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
They aren't letting Pavelski walk, he wants to be here. I honestly like Pavs as C, hes strong. Couture doesn't have the same toughness. I'd like to see Meier earn that C someday though, I can tell he's going to be a career Shark.
These are the kind of statements I never understand. What exactly does Pavs have that Couture does not?

You do remember Couture is the guy who got his teeth knocked out in the Vegas series and continued to play right? He is also the guy who led the Sharks in playoffs goals and points this post-season. I am not opposed to Pavs being captain over Couture but it is simply based on experience. Your perceived 'toughness' of Couture would have little to do with that.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
These are the kind of statements I never understand. What exactly does Pavs have that Couture does not?

You do remember Couture is the guy who got his teeth knocked out in the Vegas series and continued to play right? He is also the guy who led the Sharks in playoffs goals and points this post-season. I am not opposed to Pavs being captain over Couture but it is simply based on experience. Your perceived 'toughness' of Couture would have little to do with that.
He also played in that Edmonton series 2 years ago with a much worse mouth situation than Pavs did this year.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Not the same kind of toughtness, I didn't say Couture wasn't tough in other ways. But the situations like when Timo Meier was getting pushed around, he stood there. Like it didn't mean anything.

Pavelski will fight Chara passing by.... Thats Captain tough. If you want to be Captainofthe Sharksu gotta be the toughest one in many ways. Pavelski is tough like that.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Not the same kind of toughtness, I didn't say Couture wasn't tough in other ways. But the situations like when Timo Meier was getting pushed around, he stood there. Like it didn't mean anything.

Pavelski will fight Chara passing by.... Thats Captain tough. If you want to be Captainofthe Sharksu gotta be the toughest one in many ways. Pavelski is tough like that.

Lol. Ok.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Bravo!
No one should be questioning Coutures heart/toughness

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I’m torn on Pavs. I love the guy and his presence in front of the net but he’s about to hit 35 and the coaching staff and DW said his injury report resembled that of a person that had been in a car wreck. Two concussions and what could be a lingering leg injury on an already slow player? I don’t think I’d offer him much cap or term. I’d say 2 years 10MM. If you want to stay in SJ take it if not then we’ll use the cap to get younger and faster.. perhaps keep Gus and Karlsson.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I’m torn on Pavs. I love the guy and his presence in front of the net but he’s about to hit 35 and the coaching staff and DW said his injury report resembled that of a person that had been in a car wreck. Two concussions and what could be a lingering leg injury on an already slow player? I don’t think I’d offer him much cap or term. I’d say 2 years 10MM. If you want to stay in SJ take it if not then we’ll use the cap to get younger and faster.. perhaps keep Gus and Karlsson.

I think Pavs is a good complimentary player but he gives us neither of the two things our team is already lacking in. Speed or physicality. If we were a team that had a lot of that, I would be ok with still having Pavs back. I have said this a few times earlier but he is too expensive and good to be a 3rd liner on our team and not fast/physical enough to compliment our top-6.

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
Guys I'm sorry i think it's highly unlikely that the 2019-2020 sharks team looks much different from last year. At least to start the season. I bet no EK65 and we resign Pavs and Martin Jones is our starting goalie. Most likely a new backup, maybe a depth D or or we just resign Nyquist.

Also i think we see Jumbo for one final year and he announces it beforehand .

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Joe pavelski has 5 fights in his career and only 1 as a captain.

Doesn't seem like he will fight chara in passing by.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Guys I'm sorry i think it's highly unlikely that the 2019-2020 sharks team looks much different from last year. At least to start the season. I bet no EK65 and we resign Pavs and Martin Jones is our starting goalie. Most likely a new backup, maybe a depth D or or we just resign Nyquist.

Also i think we see Jumbo for one final year and he announces it beforehand .

What you are saying is likely to happen. But I just have a feeling DW is going to do something this off-season to get us a big name if EK65 walks away. Not having a 1st round pick in 2020 puts us in a situation where sitting idle is not the best option.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
pretty sad when marleau is tougher then you.
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad