Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Patrick Marleau, who’s earned over $100 million dollars is upset about term? Interesting.

That's if we're to believe these rumblings are accurate. Given the source, I'm skeptical of it but it's not impossible. Personally, I just don't like that the whole rumor is somehow triggered by Kane's contract when a few of those types of contracts were being handed out before then and even at that point with Couture. Everyone knew Couture was getting a similar deal before he even signed it. That makes no sense to me.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
That's if we're to believe these rumblings are accurate. Given the source, I'm skeptical of it but it's not impossible. Personally, I just don't like that the whole rumor is somehow triggered by Kane's contract when a few of those types of contracts were being handed out before then and even at that point with Couture. Everyone knew Couture was getting a similar deal before he even signed it. That makes no sense to me.
I find this all quite strange. I can understand being frustrated that he missed out on money earlier in his career, but when he was young it was a different league, different owner, and different financial situation. Karlsson joked about how he wished he was an RFA with all the money those guys are getting. It’s just the way the league is now.

Patty Ice

Mighty Luca
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Would we have any interest in Kadri? I think he'd make a pretty good Thornton replacement for the third line, but I don't think he'd have the same chemistry with Labanc and Sorensen.

Still, I'd consider a Kadri-Braun trade.

The way I would approach the 3rd line center, and I'll admit it's not ideal and takes faith, is to start Thornton as the 3rd C while Gambrell gets more NHL experience the first quarter of the season then give him the spot to keep Joe on the 4th and fresh for the playoffs.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
The way I would approach the 3rd line center, and I'll admit it's not ideal and takes faith, is to start Thornton as the 3rd C while Gambrell gets more NHL experience the first quarter of the season then give him the spot to keep Joe on the 4th and fresh for the playoffs.
I like this idea, but I’d like to double up on the right handed wingers with Thornton to start the season. Chmelevski on one side, Gambrell on the other. Whichever one can seize the 3C can continue and a winger can be added when Joe moves down. This is all predicated on Labanc playing in the top 6.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
If Pavs is upset about getting a 5 year deal instead of 7 or 8 then that's just bad luck. He signed his contract in the infancy of Hasso's overtaking of the team. Marleau's contract was also at the tail end of Hasso's first year as boss and was also 35 when the season started on his first year of his last contract here. There's no good reason to be upset about something like that. Organizations change when new people step in at the top and don't have the same restraints as a more budget conscious group. What's done is done on that front anyway. None of that influences Pavelski's next contract because he's in the same boat as Marleau was when he left. There's only a certain amount of term the team should give to a 35 year old player. Now I personally would've given Marleau the 3rd year if the price was the 5 mil AAV as it was reported for his two year offer to stay but three is also acceptable for Pavelski's spot. Four is acceptable as well here. It may be too much for some but I'd be okay with it to keep him happy but anything beyond that is unreasonable to me.

Maybe it’s bad luck, but regardless they have every right to be upset. We don’t know the details and if in their experiences they felt they got shafted then who is anyone to say they have no reason to be upset? Unless, of course, you’re in the know.

Btw, even though Patty is west bound (maybe), he doesn’t want to come here. I believe it’s mutual. Again, what I hear...

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I like this idea, but I’d like to double up on the right handed wingers with Thornton to start the season. Chmelevski on one side, Gambrell on the other. Whichever one can seize the 3C can continue and a winger can be added when Joe moves down. This is all predicated on Labanc playing in the top 6.
I think Labanc can be the playmaker on Hertl's wing. He was effective in that role w/ Thornton and I think he was playing at a high enough level that he can at least be as good as Donskoi was up there.

Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Pavelski-Couture-Meier
Chekhovich-Thornton-Chmelevski
Sorenson-Gambrell-Melker

Lol I hope the rookies are good enough to slot in right away. Hard to believe they're far off based on all the hype.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe it’s bad luck, but regardless they have every right to be upset. We don’t know the details and if in their experiences they felt they got shafted then who is anyone to say they have no reason to be upset? Unless, of course, you’re in the know.

Btw, even though Patty is west bound (maybe), he doesn’t want to come here. I believe it’s mutual. Again, what I hear...

The thing that Pavs would be upset about is that he didn't get an extra two or three years on his last deal that he'd get now and get paid more for now most likely. Like I understand the emotion but just thinking about it a little bit and they're both better off by having done it this way. I also don't buy that Marleau doesn't want to come here. He was pretty close to signing the deal offered even in the face of a monster third year offered elsewhere. If his family is here, which they are, he's willing to swallow whatever pride he's got in this regard and make it work again. It wouldn't be the first time Marleau was upset with management and stuck it out. I don't doubt that DW has no interest because of the contract he's on but if things happened to where Marleau became a free agent, the two sides would certainly talk and likely reach an agreement.

Gilligans Island

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

Yeah - isolating frustration on just Kane doesn't make sense to me, when Vlasic, Burns, Couture all have similar term.
The only thing I can see, if this is true, is b/c Kane was still kind of a "new" to the Sharks vs. the others.

Oh well, grow up if that's the case.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I remember when Burns signed for 8MM people on the main board and even a few here said that it was too much and that his physical play would cause the contract to be terrible on the back end. Cap inflation is a pretty big factor. Kane’s contract will prove to be good value as you’ll see all these other wingers like Skinner get $9MM per year as the cap goes up.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I remember when Burns signed for 8MM people on the main board and even a few here said that it was too much and that his physical play would cause the contract to be terrible on the back end. Cap inflation is a pretty big factor. Kane’s contract will prove to be good value as you’ll see all these other wingers like Skinner get $9MM per year as the cap goes up.

I think the biggest issue with the Burns contract was and still is the term, but EK owes Doughty a thank you card for driving up the market value of high end D-men.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I think the biggest issue with the Burns contract was and still is the term, but EK owes Doughty a thank you card for driving up the market value of high end D-men.

Yeah I know but I’ll take term at that cap hit due to inflation going forward. Just my opinion

Reactions: Sharksrule04

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Sharks should try to move Jones, even if it means they have to pay $2.5 Million of his contract. It will still free up $3 million or so and they could probally even get a 1st round pick for him if they take on salary. Just bring up one of their rookie goalies. Goalies are such a crap shoot. Just look how it turned out for St Louis with that nobody.
I’m not eating $2.5 million a year over the life of that deal (4 more years) based on one bad season that wasn’t totally his fault. Hell no on that one. Have to think long term ramifications of that kind of stuff and any GM willing to do that won’t be the GM of said club by the end of the time they’re retaining salary.

Plus, let’s say they make the prudent move and add Bobrovsky (unlikely but still) and he costs minimum $7.5 mil. You now have $10 million a year tied into a starting goalie plus whatever you’re paying your backup. The whole concept makes literally zero sense.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Well. Its not just that. I mean the entire FA landscape has changed over the last few years. DW has had his hand forced to retain our own pending FA's as well as sign UFA's based on the market.
Also, Pavs signed for the same cap hit % as Kane did on his last deal. They’re also signed through the same age. Pavs just signed his beginning his age 29 season (and signed it a year before hitting UFA) whole Kane signed at age 27 as a UFA. Not really much to be mad about there.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

I don't buy that Jumbo was upset. I remember he only liked signing 3 year deals or something like that.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't buy that Jumbo was upset. I remember he only liked signing 3 year deals or something like that.

Yup. Thornton since his rookie contract has never signed a contract that has been more then 3 years.

He has always said its about giving the team and himself flexibility.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

I think the Burns contract (along with Hertl) is our best contract. He should easily be paid 10-11M per season, we get him for 8. I don’t see him dropping at all for at least the next 4-5 years. Maybe we have a year or two of him not being Norris worthy but by then his cap hit % won’t be bad and it would have been worth it. I stand by him being the most valuable DMan in the league.

Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Like.

Reactions: Sandisfan

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I might be in the minority but I wouldn't mind the Sharks trying to sign Duchene. Hertl,Couture, and Duchene down the middle would be great. Thornton returns for 1 more year and becomes our 4th line center. EK65 is still my 1st choice though.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Mirtle: Ranking all 31 NHL team's salary-cap situations,...
Paywall. Mirtle ranks Sharks as 16th worst cap situation in league.
Honestly doesn't look as bad as advertised considering what they have on their plate this off season. A number of fairly easily moveable contracts could give them a ton of space. Dillon, Braun, Milker, Dell... Pass on Pavs, sing Jumbo for $1 to $2mil... A long shot could be moving Vlassic.

I might be in the minority but I wouldn't mind the Sharks trying to sign Duchene. Hertl,Couture, and Duchene down the middle would be great. Thornton returns for 1 more year and becomes our 4th line center. EK65 is still my 1st choice though.
I like the idea but I doubt that's how they get used. Duchene probably plays center with Couture on the wing. Hertl would stay at center for sure though I'm betting. If they sign EK65 I doubt they have room for duchene unless there is some major roster retooling at the draft. We'll know a lot in another week is my guess. Looking at what Skinner just got I would have to think Duchene is going to get almost 10mil which the Sharks should NOT spend on him IMO. Maybe he decides to take a little less ($9mil?) to come to contender like the Sharks but I don't think so. Even then I think that's too much.

If they get EK65 you have to hope they add another center though. Someone for 5 mil or less. Gotta let go of Pavs though. If they truly think Couture is the next captain, it's time to take the training wheels off. EK65 is another option of he comes back. A team with those 2 in the leadership group should be able to win. Never been he biggest fan of Coutures Debbie downer mentality but even I have to admit he is growing a legend with his post season play and that means a lot in a locker room. Lot of courage and resilience in these players and a lot of it happened without Pavs in the lineup.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad