Injury Report: 2019-2020 Injury Thread Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
This will sound horrible to some but I hope it takes MacKinnon out for a few games (just precautionary, not legitimately missing them due to pain or body damage) so that the man can get some god damn rest. He's been so overworked and this would be the only way Bednar wouldn't grind him to dust. A week-ish of rest would do our MVP by miles some serious good. Hopefully he can still practice/skate. But maybe a little downtime and mental relaxation would be for the best.

Reactions: Boulder Avalanche

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
On not giving us timelines:

The fact is, with many injuries they probably don't give a timeline because they don't know. It would be nice to get exact dates for players' returns, but the human body doesn't work like that. What takes one guy a week to recover from, another guy might take a month. And it's not like the Avs never tell us anything. They don't tend to reveal the exact injury, but when they know from the start that it's long-term, they generally tell us (Wilson is of course the exception, but that's out of respect to his family).

I suspect that for the "day to day" guys, they genuinely don't know when they'll be ready to play. Look at Bura. He came back for one game and has been out since. I think it's clear at this time of the year they're not actually aiming for 100% healthy. For 100% they could probably give an actual timeline. But what about "healthy enough to play"? That's probably a much harder thing to quantify. So when they say day-to-day, I take that to mean that the player could wake up tomorrow feeling better and play that night, but he might also feel worse and be out for two more weeks. It seems like some of you want them to always give the worst case scenario number, but what if the worst case scenario is out for the season, yet they actually return after three games?

What I suspect is that even if all our guys come back, they'll still not be 100% healthy, and this offseason will be full of news about the nagging injury they played with during the playoffs. I would be shocked to see multiple off-season surgeries.

On players being targeted:

I totally agree with not saying what MacKinnon's injury is. You can claim all you want he'll be targeted anyway, but will they target the specific area of his injury if they don't know. What if it's his right thigh (for example)? If they know that, I could foresee lots of little jabs and stick taps there, if not worse. If they don't know that, they'll just commit all the usual un-called penalties on him.
Nobody here is asking for an exact date. All we would like is something better than day-to-day that turns into a month. And I think all of us are ok with not knowing what the injury is.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Regarding Kaut and Dries being sent back we need to remember that the Eagles are in their own race for 1st place in their division. I'm sure the Avs want to help them as much as they can. That might be a moot point anyway as they might have had to send them back anyway if some guys are coming back.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
This will sound horrible to some but I hope it takes MacKinnon out for a few games (just precautionary, not legitimately missing them due to pain or body damage) so that the man can get some god damn rest. He's been so overworked and this would be the only way Bednar wouldn't grind him to dust. A week-ish of rest would do our MVP by miles some serious good. Hopefully he can still practice/skate. But maybe a little downtime and mental relaxation would be for the best.
Mack is the only star player that plays a lot? If Mack is ok he will play and be fine, he’s not exhausted and does not need rest. And he does not need a injury to rest. Nothing good would come of that.

Reactions: missionAvs

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
EKvOHNUUEAAOpPr
“Jesse we’re cooking tonight”

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Mack is the only star player that plays a lot? If Mack is ok he will play and be fine, he’s not exhausted and does not need rest. And he does not need a injury to rest. Nothing good would come of that.
I've said before that he's maaaybe the most freak athlete in the league in terms of forwards and I agree he could average 23 a night for the rest of the season and be fine. I still think a little rest could do him good.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
I can't imagine Mack sits voluntarily when he's this close to 100pts. If he sits out for a week he's going to make it difficult to reach that mark. Dude is as competitive as they come, I don't think he would allow a precautionary benching.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Avs shit regarding injuries would not fly in a hockey market. But thanks to our inept media we are left in the dark.

Avs best estimates being always so far off does not instill confience either in the medical staff ability to get players ready to play.

Maybe they don’t know what d2d is. D2d is a guy could play next game or very soon. It’s not we are tracking his progress day-to-day but he won’t be back for weeks. At this rate every injury should be d2d because one day you can’t play and then another you can so...

Avs are the worst at communicating with fans. Just last game our own media didn’t know who was scratched and who wasn’t.:facepalm:

My best guess is they just have a different definition of Day to Day than what you described there. My thinking is that to them, Day to Day is basically code for "we're not really sure but we don't think it's long-term".

Where I will agree is that the Avs are not good at communicating information to fans (it feels like a huge treat when Sakic actually speaks publicly or gets interviewed) and that this wouldn't fly in a hockey market.

Yeah if he has to be hurt I hope it's something like a minor hand injury that he absolutely can't play with but he can still skate and will recover fully in a week.

Nobody here is asking for an exact date. All we would like is something better than day-to-day that turns into a month. And I think all of us are ok with not knowing what the injury is.

Responding to the bold: that's literally not true. Read the thread. You don't even have to go back very far.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
Any chance any one would listen to this drivel just to give us a quick synopsis IF anything meaningful is said.... big IF. I won't hold my breath, thanks!

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
With Kaut getting called up, the math would suggest one of the injured players is back tonight... of course they could go with 7 D or play Barberio at forward again.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I mean, it’s highly possible no one comes back today. AFAIK guys are skating but haven’t participated in full practice (correct me if I’m wrong). I think we see a guy or 2 back by this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad