NFL: 2018 NFL off-season news & notes thread (Vikings sign Hunter to big extension)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Short or long really comes down to ththe amount of guaranteed money. Despite cousins getting a fully guaranteed deal from the Vikings, it’s still no different than what jimmy G got in SF which was a 5 year deal. Basically no dead money after year 3. So, not married to him for th full 5 years.

I’d imagine the guaranteed money would carry a significant dead cap hit for 3 years for Beckham.

This really doesn't answer anything. Beckham is more valuable to the Giants than to other teams. The Giants are better off keeping him.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This really doesn't answer anything. Beckham is more valuable to the Giants than to other teams. The Giants are better off keeping him.
Giants should do what’s best for their team. There is a cost of doing business in the NFL. They have a pretty good idea what a long term guaranteed contract with Beckham is going to look like. If that works for them sign him. I’m not a big fan of the franchise tag. But, if the giants opt to use it, then accept the cons that go with it. Unhappy player, plus the media questions about his future, which impacts the rest of the team.

If he’s truly aiming for a QB type contract vs being the highest paid WR, I would let him walk. No issues paying him more than Evans or anyone else at WR. But, not paying him Derek Carr or Jimmy G money for example.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

I initially thought "hell yes" to this (and it's a solid return for the Giants if they want to go full rebuild), but I'm willing to re-evaluate my opinion if someone could make a strong argument the other way. The Browns would have a skill position group of

#1 overall QB
WR - Gordon
WR - Beckham
WR - Landry
WR - Coleman
TE - Njoku
TE - DeValve
RB - Duke Johnson
RB - Carlos Hyde

Plus a defense led by Myles Garrett and a rebuilt secondary (though keeping McCourty would have been nice). That's gotta be a playoff team that even Hue couldn't **** up.

IMO, they still have a lot of holes to fill and should probably use those picks to keep building. Assuming they're healthy and they stay out of trouble, the WR group is one of the areas where the Browns actually look pretty good. I think they'd be better off not investing more high draft capital and a lot more money at that position. Those two things you mention at the end are actually where I think they should go with the 4th overall pick. The offense looks solid on paper so use the pick to get Chubb (if available) or one of those guys in the secondary.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
IMO, they still have a lot of holes to fill and should probably use those picks to keep building. Assuming they're healthy and they stay out of trouble, the WR group is one of the areas where the Browns actually look pretty good. I think they'd be better off not investing more high draft capital and a lot more money at that position. Those two things you mention at the end are actually where I think they should go with the 4th overall pick. The offense looks solid on paper so use the pick to get Chubb (if available) or one of those guys in the secondary.

Yeah, they're probably fine as is at WR, but I was just thinking that Beckham could take them to the next level and would provide a ton of help to a rookie QB (or Taylor). They'd have to win games 35-31 though. But even if they did deal these two picks, they'd still have #35 and another 2nd. Truthfully, I don't know much about many players beyond the top of this draft so I'm not sure how much those other 2nds would be able to address those needs.

Rapoport quoted this

saying they do have a ton of picks, so maybe he's hearing something.

EDIT:

Last edited:

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Uh huh. Gettleman definitely hasn't moved on from players in the past -- especially those that are due new and large contracts.
Gettleman never dealt with a player in Carolina that was of Odell's magnitude. And for how everyone wants to talk about Odell's ''antics'' and ''red flags'' (which really aren't that earth shattering), just remember that the Giants are the same team that re-signed Josh Brown after he beat his wife. A kicker.

It's all posturing. People are naive if they believe otherwise. The Giants will pay him his money. Bookmark this post so you can tell me I was right when it happens.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Gettleman never dealt with a player in Carolina that was of Odell's magnitude. And for how everyone wants to talk about Odell's ''antics'' and ''red flags'' (which really aren't that earth shattering), just remember that the Giants are the same team that re-signed Josh Brown after he beat his wife. A kicker.

It's all posturing. People are naive if they believe otherwise. The Giants will pay him his money. Bookmark this post so you can tell me I was right when it happens.

K. That doesn't mean Gettleman doesn't have a long history of moving on from very good players. They are not as dynamic nor as young as Beckham, but he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and a Belichick want to be. Beckham doesn't play a position that Gettleman puts a high value on. The fact that you spoke so definitively is what irked me. He's going to do what he wants to do, regardless if it makes sense. The dude is stubborn as shit, and that's why he got fired.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
K. That doesn't mean Gettleman doesn't have a long history of moving on from very good players. They are not as dynamic nor as young as Beckham, but he thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and a Belichick want to be. Beckham doesn't play a position that Gettleman puts a high value on. The fact that you spoke so definitively is what irked me. He's going to do what he wants to do, regardless if it makes sense. The dude is stubborn as ****, and that's why he got fired.

he did spend pretty heavy draft capital on WRs. but second contracts might be different though imo that doesn't make a lot of sense.

anyway, i'm not sure if he's willing to spend metric ton on keeping OBJ.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
he did spend pretty heavy draft capital on WRs. but second contracts might be different though imo that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Eh, Benjamin, Funchess, and Samuel are the only ones he's ever taken, but they were 1st, 2nd, and 2nd rounders. I think he'd be foolish to move him, but it's silly to rule it out as a possibility.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

In a sense he's right. The receiver position is more about fitting skillsets together than just talent. OBJ is just a rare player that he can fill every role at the position.

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
OBJ would be good for the Browns and it'd cost the, 4 and 33. That said the Giants need him especially if they do the smart thing and pick a QB at 2.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
OBJ would be good for the Browns and it'd cost the, 4 and 33. That said the Giants need him especially if they do the smart thing and pick a QB at 2.
Not all 1st rounders are created equal. #4 is more valuable than say the ravens pick at 16.

If Cleveland wants obj then I would move #4 to buffalo for extra picks and then use a good chunk of those buffalo picks to then get obj and still have an extra pick of 2 left from buffalo. If I can get both 12, 22 and a second I could send 12 and 33 and still have 2 seconds and 2 first rounders.

I don’t Think a team between 5-11 will be going after obj. Maybe SF but they don’t have their own 2nd. They have the saints 2nd in the last 50’s.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Calm down LA, jesus

I had a thought to myself; "Huh, if the Giants are seriously thinking about dealing OBJ, I wonder if the Rams would consider it after losing Watkins." Apparently they had that idea long before i could even finish the thought.

OBJ would be a huge add to an already loaded team, on the flipside that locker room could potentially have the stability of a runaway nuclear reactor throwing him in with all those other big egos.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Texans refuse to learn lesson they should have learned just a few months ago and signed Brandon Weeden as their backup :laugh: & :huh:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Giants better take a QB at #2 and start getting him ready if they really do trade OBJ. I think they should be doing that anyways but this win now with Eli stuff should go out the window if they trade their best player, who has been the biggest reason why Eli has looked better recently.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Texans refuse to learn lesson they should have learned just a few months ago and signed Brandon Weeden as their backup :laugh: & :huh:

Who should they have signed? Jay Cutler (Seems to be leaning retirement again)? Matt Moore (Who was crap when actually starting last year)?

He knows the coaches system and did well as Texans backup a couple years back. He also is experienced with 25 NFL starts in his career

Watson is expected to be healthy for start of year and most NFL teams drop off from #1 to #2 is big and likely difference between playoffs and no playoffs

Coaches want guys who know the system and are familiar with locker room (Weeden was with Texans for 2 years I believe)

Still doesn't mean they don't draft a QB in mid rounds as well like Raiders did with Cook when they had Carr as #1 and a meh backup (McGloin) on roster

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ultimately I think OBJ stays a Giant. Mara knows guys like him don't come across very often, aside from the fact that at his best he's the best receiver in the NFL, he is someone you can easily market and have as your franchise guy. They should sign him and draft a QB at #2 so they have hopefully won't have a big drop-off in QB play when Eli calls it quits.

Even with the boat trips in Miami, the on field antics, he's too good of a player to just move on from like that. It could be a long time before they get someone like him again.

Barnwell had a good contract idea

Beckham and his representation have made public proclamations about wanting to be the highest-paid player in the NFL. That's not going to happen, but it's likely that OBJ will end up with a huge deal courtesy of some inflated numbers at the end of the contract. In February, I suggested Beckham would sign a seven-year, $115 million deal with a $40 million signing bonus and $54 million due over the first three years. The recent video possibly depicting Beckham in a compromising situation in Europe could affect the negotiations, but the former LSU star remains the favorite to set financial records among wide receivers.

He'll be the highest paid WR and have a nice guarantee to protect himself. Plus his endorsement deal with Nike and all the other endorsements he has and will get as a star athlete in NYC/playing for one of the most popular teams.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Who should they have signed? Jay Cutler (Seems to be leaning retirement again)? Matt Moore (Who was crap when actually starting last year)?

He knows the coaches system and did well as Texans backup a couple years back. He also is experienced with 25 NFL starts in his career

Watson is expected to be healthy for start of year and most NFL teams drop off from #1 to #2 is big and likely difference between playoffs and no playoffs

Coaches want guys who know the system and are familiar with locker room (Weeden was with Texans for 2 years I believe)

Still doesn't mean they don't draft a QB in mid rounds as well like Raiders did with Cook when they had Carr as #1 and a meh backup (McGloin) on roster

He started one ****ing game with the Texans and that's enough to erase the fact he's garbage for the other 24 games he started?

Moore meanwhile, since you don't seem to understand context started games against the Ravens in Baltimore and the Patriots in Foxboro, a tall ask for even better QB's. Despite this, he has a higher career Y/A, lower INT%, better TD/INT ratio and pretty much every other metric that says he's a better QB.

Please leave the analysis to people who understand.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
He started one ****ing game with the Texans and that's enough to erase the fact he's garbage for the other 24 games he started?

Moore meanwhile, since you don't seem to understand context started games against the Ravens in Baltimore and the Patriots in Foxboro, a tall ask for even better QB's. Despite this, he has a higher career Y/A, lower INT%, better TD/INT ratio and pretty much every other metric that says he's a better QB.

Please leave the analysis to people who understand.

He has to trash Moore because Moore performed better with the same supporting cast.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Why would the Browns give up huge assets for OBJ? Aren’t Gordon and Landry enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad