GDT: 2018 Free Agency: Jay Beagle 4 x 3M, Antoine Roussel 4 x 3.25M, both w/ limited NTCs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Id rather not,,we really dont need anymore soft players on this team do we.but i was thinking that some teams that are going after big ticket UFAs ,some teams might have to move a contract,,,like above with Nylander,,,,so we could be in a postion of trades instead,,,Hey Canucks we need to clear some cap space,,,can you take this guy,,,so we can sign this guy,,,,
Could be interesting July 1st,,,

Nylander is a valuable asset, Tanev is a depreciating one,

If Benning doesn't move him this summer, then any return we get will be pitiful

So its not about whether you think Nylander is soft, it's about retaining and controlling currency that can then be spent elsewhere or kept, or about watching what currency you have slip through your fingers for nothing,

Tanev will not re-sign in Vancouver, when his deal is up he's gone, like Hamhuis, This is where Benning shows the world he is truly incompetent, he cannot grasp the basic concept of acquiring, retaining and managing assets....its been too long to come to any other conclusion,

As unbelievable as it might be, we have a GM that fundamentally does not know how to do the job for which he has been hired.

I almost feel sorry for him, as he has been set up to be the village idiot, its not is fault he isn't smart enough to do the job, he should have never been put there at all

Looking at this bloody mess of a roster.......I don't know what else to say

F**K IT.......it's not getting better so long as he's here, it can't

So just F**k it....who cares

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
How the hell do you give a 33 year old 7 goal scorer 3 million until he is 37 years old??????

We do this every year....its not going to get better

This is a generation lost for this team

At some point something will happen and someone else will be running the team,

But until that day.....its not worth it anymore

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
This team will be painful to watch this year. Beyond Horvat and Boeser who will score?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
If we finish bottom 5 again with all the additions JB made, we might actually see him gets fired

IF ??? How can this team not finish bottom 5? The forwards can’t score, the defence certainly can’t.

Even worse who on this sorry roster can actually be flipped at the trade deadline when they fall well out of contention?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Everyone understands that Gillis left the team low on assets. Everyone except Benning who tried to push that team in to the playoffs for 4 years and ending up being the worst team in the league while doing so.

Why are you so infinitely patient with having him learn how to be a GM on your hockey team? Shouldn't he have done that before, and that be the reason he is hired?

There has got to be a limit for how long Gillis gets blamed for the team Jim assembles. At some point you have got to agree that Jim is responsible for what Jim does.

Hey genius

You call going out of his way to acquire our future captain, leaving the team
"Low on asserts" He left the team with it's most important player in the prospect pool and it wasn't some random pick, he targeted Horvat. And if he hadn't.....good god

50% of the future of this team is credit of Mike Gillis, and don't talk to me about guys who have yet to play an NHL game, have played a bunch but can't score, would rather play FIFA 18 than actual hockey, or guys that were improperly scouted and thus ran back to their native countries....oh, and for the record, I'm not betting the farm on goalies who have had 6 years of development, 1 NHL game and a save % in the .800

Benning has destroyed this team with his incompetent drafting

MrBojangles

Mar 19, 2012
IF ??? How can this team not finish bottom 5? The forwards can’t score, the defence certainly can’t.

Even worse who on this sorry roster can actually be flipped at the trade deadline when they fall well out of contention?
Edler

Remains to be seen if anyone would want Del Zotto, Gagner, Sutter, Eriksson, Nilsson

Virtanen won’t grt real shot again, same as as Goldobin

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
We're signing a pair of fourth liners, one of whom is extremely on the wrong side of 30, to 4 year deals for a combined 6-6.5 M annual cap hit.

:biglaugh:

What an absolute joke this regime is. Because when you lose two of your top-six forwards, you just go blow your brains out on fourth liners to make up for it.

How well do the Benning fanboys think this team is gonna do next year? I'd love to hear some opinions. As it stands, there's no way this team is getting anywhere near out of the bottom-5.

And somehow, they're going to be even more boring to watch.

I'll give Benning full credit if he uses these (still ridiculous) moves to jettison Sutter for a good return, but given his track record, that's *extremely* unlikely to happen and we'll just see top-six Sutter instead.

Reactions: Cupless44

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Oh Christ....I just looked at Beagles stats......he's USELESS

No points,

No penalty minutes

NO NOTHING

He's 32! Past his prime, and his prime was jack squat

Just what is he being hired to do? He couldn't do anything during his prime

What does Benning think a 36-year-old Jay Beagle is going to be able to do?

WE HAVE KIDS WHO NEED TO PLAY!

This is another useless vet (Which Green LOVES) who is going to eat up ice time and do NOTHING

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I'm looking forward to the very normal and sane arguments that will be unspooled to defend these deals! The Canucks can just retain some salary when they trade uhhh (checks notes) Jay Beagle (???) for assets a couple deadlines from now.

Actually who cares. Jim Benning has destroyed my interest in this team and really the NHL in general. The world cup is holding my attention. Jim Benning has nothing to do with it. There's no chance I'll catch a glimpse of his count chocula ass dye job while I'm enjoying the footy. It's soothing. I invite everyone to join me.

Last edited:

Isi

Sep 4, 2016
let's be real, there's no-way these guys end up on the fourth line. one of them will be on pettersson's line for sure

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
These are great signings by Benning and will most certainly make us tougher to play against. Beagle will bring leadership to the room and will show the kids what it really takes to win a cup. Roussell will bring that much needed ahole factor.

If you look closely at the numbers, none of these contracts will prevent us from the most important thing: re-upping our future core RFA’s.

All in all, great signings by Benning!

Leipsic-Horvat-Eriksson
Pettersson-Gagner-Boeser
Roussel-Sutter-Virtanen
Gaunce-Beagle-Gaudette (if Gaudette proves that he can hang, bump him to the 2nd line).

Edler-Gudbranson
Hughes-Tanev
Del Zotto-Biega

Markstrom
Demko

-Trade Baertschi for pick
-Trade Hutton for pick
-Trade Goldobin for pick
-Granlund = 13th forward

Lind, Dahlen, Motte, Juolevi, Pouliot, etc, all go to Utica.

That's a very strong bottom 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: hoyhoy42

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I thought the majority of the fans wanted a rebuild?
Now that it's clearly underway a lot of you seemed to be pissed about how much we'll such next season.

I agree that a winning culture should be established in the near future as soon as possible but we're just simply nowhere near that anytime soon.

What I think has the potential to go down as possibly our best draft (2017) in years... or ever. We need at least a year or two until we're sniffing 500 Hockey.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
These are great signings by Benning and will most certainly make us tougher to play against. Beagle will bring leadership to the room and will show the kids what it really takes to win a cup. Roussell will bring that much needed ahole factor.

If you look closely at the numbers, none of these contracts will prevent us from the most important thing: re-upping our future core RFA’s.

All in all, great signings by Benning!

Yup, Beagle will show them that all it takes are players better than he is. And who is going to protect Roussel when he goes all Matt Cooke? Gudbranson better be brushing up on his fighting because he's probably going to be doing a lot of it.

Kickpuncher

Nov 7, 2017
NYC/Vancouver
I thought the majority of the fans wanted a rebuild?
Now that it's clearly underway a lot of you seemed to be pissed about how much we'll such next season.

I agree that a winning culture should be established in the near future as soon as possible but we're just simply nowhere near that anytime soon.

What I think has the potential to go down as possibly our best draft (2017) in years... or ever. We need at least a year or two until we're sniffing 500 Hockey.

Which is fine -- sign bottom-sixers to those one to two year deals, then. 4 years is blowing a six-million dollar hole (more if you factor in dreck like Sutter and Gud) in our capspace for when we theoretically should be getting competitive.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Love these deals!!! Little long for Beagle but that’s the price of admission for ufa’s!!!

Roussel is 28 and in his prime!! Always sucks playing against him so happy to have him on our team!! He’s a shit disturber except he actually fights!!

6 fights last year!!

Let’s talk this out for all of the people crying and complaining:

You’re wrong if you think these guys just took Goldobins spot.

Gaunce is not safe but who cares??

Assuming Archibald ain’t coming back, big deal.

Canucks were way too easy to play against last year!! Boeser gets killed and no one did squat.

That is not the kind of team I want to cheer for. I remember Roussel from many moons ago when he was trying to break in with the Canucks. I think fans will love him, he finishes checks, plays hard.

Beagle is determined, hard working, great at face offs. Fans will love him.

All in all, maybe the 4th years are too much but I’m okay with the Canucks paying for these two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad