GDT: 2018-19 Training Camp and Preseason Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which new addition are most looking forward to?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Screenshot_2018-09-06-13-34-41.png

No idea if that last response is accurate or if it's poor English from a Frenchman but if true, nice.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I pray to god that isn’t true about Girard. I understand he needs to add some pounds and strengthen up, but 17 pounds in one summer isn’t a healthy way to do so. If he was excercisung even somewhat frequently that would basically require him to eat cheeseburgers and nachos regularly.

5ish pounds of lean muscle in one summer is all you should really put on. Anything more than that likely isn’t lean muscle unless you’re a genetic freak of nature.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
17 pounds for such a small frame is quite a lot indeed.

Edit: I asked that twitter guy for a source, we'll see.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
17 lbs in a summer is a lot, but the first 5 could have been gaining back losses from the season, then adding 10+ on top. At 19/20, that’s not really that much. The risk of losing speed/flexibility is real at any age, but that type of weight gain isn’t too shocking in his first “real” pro offseason

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Great. We finally get rid of Pepin and Martinsen. Zadorov appears to be in shape to start the season. But now we have to deal with Silent Sam eating everyone’s lunch. So many fatties.

Reactions: BrickAHL

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm really not a fan of smaller players gaining bulk quickly... this would put him around 180 and I think that is a bit much right now. I'd like to see him in the low 170s for a year, then pushing 180 (and never beyond that).

Reactions: McMetal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
16 lbs of muscle in ~4 months and he didn't lose any speed/agility? I know this is "everyone is in the best shape of their life" time of year but it's still surprising to read that.

Whatever the actual number is, I'm glad Girard spent time bulking up a bit. Him and Jost are the two guys I'm most excited to see this season.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I pray to god that isn’t true about Girard. I understand he needs to add some pounds and strengthen up, but 17 pounds in one summer isn’t a healthy way to do so. If he was excercisung even somewhat frequently that would basically require him to eat cheeseburgers and nachos regularly.

5ish pounds of lean muscle in one summer is all you should really put on. Anything more than that likely isn’t lean muscle unless you’re a genetic freak of nature.
Nothing about Girard screams genetic freak to me haha

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
If Girard put on 17 pounds over a summer on that frame, half of it will be water and gone once he gets through training camp. You can't really add more than 2 pounds of lean muscle in a month. Perhaps even less if you have a lot of conditioning work, which I assume hockey players have during summer training.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A lot of that "17 pounds" will be gone by midseason. It's probably based on his end of year weight which is usually at it's lowest. Players don't do a lot of strength training during the season. Between the games and the bike though, they do a ton of cardio, and carry very little water weight.

This seems to happen every year with players. Young players packing on mass is one of the most popular talking points this time of year, and it's usually pretty misleading. 17 pounds just isn't realistic unless he ate ice cream all summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad