Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Would ANA have any interest in Brock Nelson, Anders Lee, or Jordan Eberle?

NYI has a glut of forwards, and I could see GMLL looking to get younger even if it means his club isn’t going to be competing for a playoff spot next season.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Would ANA have any interest in Brock Nelson, Anders Lee, or Jordan Eberle?

NYI has a glut of forwards, and I could see GMLL looking to get younger even if it means his club isn’t going to be competing for a playoff spot next season.
Anders Lee, for sure.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How good is Lee without JT?

Probably not as good and he was riding a high shooting percentage last year. But that said Getzlaf is a much better playmaker than JT. JT is probably the better player but he’s not the better distributor.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I could actually see a trade making sense for the two clubs. Especially if the Ducks see some stuff that they really like in some of their young d prospects and find someone to fill a roster spot. they could then trade one of the remaining d prospects.

Anders Lee

for

One of our d prospects
Nick Ritchie
Picks to make it even

That could really solve a lot of our lineup issues. If Steel is coming along nicely we could put him alongside Kase and Rakell for a fast and skilled scoring line while Getzlaf still has a solid LW.

Lee Getzlaf Perry
Rakell Steel Kase
Cogs Rico Silf

That's an excellent top 9 if Steel is ready.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Lee Getzlaf Perry
Rakell Steel Kase
Cogs Rico Silf

I would actually worry about that 2nd line. They're all fast and creative but nobody would be able to provide the size or net-front presence to open up space. We saw the same problem happen when Ritchie was taken off the Rico/Kase line last year. Not saying it wouldn't work, just worried that line would get bullied off the puck.

Also, maybe it's just me but I'd really like to see Cogs moved down to the 4th line and have our 4th line be our "Checking Line". He's a workhorse but other than his speed and work ethic, I feel like he just doesn't contribute much offensively. Most of his goals seem to come from him generating turnovers anyway.

If we did that, I think it would accomplish 3 things:
1. Have a checking/energy line that still effectively utilizes Cogs' defensive prowess
2. Give RC a reason to ice his 4th more. We know he loves his shutdown lines and icing the 4th line more means more rest for our top line(s).
3. Opens up the door for Silf to showcase his offensive potential. We've seen that Silf can produce offensively even on a defensive line so I think putting him with better linemates (from an offensive standpoint) will help bring back that secondary scoring.

On a final note, I don't mean this to be a knock on Cogs in any way because he's one of the few players that you see put 100% on the ice every night and play with the kind of heart that I wish our team would show, especially in the playoffs.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I would actually worry about that 2nd line. They're all fast and creative but nobody would be able to provide the size or net-front presence to open up space. We saw the same problem happen when Ritchie was taken off the Rico/Kase line last year. Not saying it wouldn't work, just worried that line would get bullied off the puck.

Also, maybe it's just me but I'd really like to see Cogs moved down to the 4th line and have our 4th line be our "Checking Line". He's a workhorse but other than his speed and work ethic, I feel like he just doesn't contribute much offensively. Most of his goals seem to come from him generating turnovers anyway.

If we did that, I think it would accomplish 3 things:
1. Have a checking/energy line that still effectively utilizes Cogs' defensive prowess
2. Give RC a reason to ice his 4th more. We know he loves his shutdown lines and icing the 4th line more means more rest for our top line(s).
3. Opens up the door for Silf to showcase his offensive potential. We've seen that Silf can produce offensively even on a defensive line so I think putting him with better linemates (from an offensive standpoint) will help bring back that secondary scoring.

On a final note, I don't mean this to be a knock on Cogs in any way because he's one of the few players that you see put 100% on the ice every night and play with the kind of heart that I wish our team would show, especially in the playoffs.
I totally get where you are coming from with Cogs. the one thing I will say is that on the right line Cogs can be very effective because he generates so many turnovers and can be smothering on the forecheck. when Kesler was healthy that line was amazing however I am not sure Rico can fill that Kesler role. If Cogs cant find a role where they can succeed on a shutdown line and still put up points I can see Cogs on a 4th line as a pure shut down line. If we were to go to rolling 4 lines we would need a guy like Lee and also some help from our young guys. I could see it working.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
my brother just went to cabo with him...sounds like they had quite a bit of fun. I also saw him playing Narch in Irvine with Jake Virtanen last month.
I did a workout with him at westminster, he got quick feet!

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I could actually see a trade making sense for the two clubs. Especially if the Ducks see some stuff that they really like in some of their young d prospects and find someone to fill a roster spot. they could then trade one of the remaining d prospects.

Anders Lee

for

One of our d prospects
Nick Ritchie
Picks to make it even

That could really solve a lot of our lineup issues. If Steel is coming along nicely we could put him alongside Kase and Rakell for a fast and skilled scoring line while Getzlaf still has a solid LW.

Lee Getzlaf Perry
Rakell Steel Kase
Cogs Rico Silf

Anders Lee is a nice player - would certainly want him on the ducks.

But why would the ducks trade for another player who will be a UFA after 2018-19? We already have Silf and Rico to sign (and probably can't afford both). So you're trading for one year of Lee.

Given the lack of term on his contract, the trade you're proposing is a pretty big over payment (in terms of what the Ducks can afford) and doesn't make sense long term.

Also, I would point out that the Lee contract is backloaded - $3.75M on the cap but $5M actual cash - another thing that makes the trade unattractive.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Anders Lee is a nice player - would certainly want him on the ducks.

But why would the ducks trade for another player who will be a UFA after 2018-19? We already have Silf and Rico to sign (and probably can't afford both). So you're trading for one year of Lee.

Given the lack of term on his contract, the trade you're proposing is a pretty big over payment (in terms of what the Ducks can afford) and doesn't make sense long term.

Also, I would point out that the Lee contract is backloaded - $3.75M on the cap but $5M actual cash - another thing that makes the trade unattractive.
I actually never even said what the price would be so it is hard to argue it is an overpayment. The question is whether we want to take another shot with this core. Right now we are middling which is the worst possible spot because we arent going to get high end prospects to build around. I say we go for it and rebuild later because have a good enough group where an add could make us a contender. Otherwise, sell assets for future talent that we can build around and try to find a 1c. Just dont sit idly in the middle.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
I totally get where you are coming from with Cogs. the one thing I will say is that on the right line Cogs can be very effective because he generates so many turnovers and can be smothering on the forecheck. when Kesler was healthy that line was amazing however I am not sure Rico can fill that Kesler role. If Cogs cant find a role where they can succeed on a shutdown line and still put up points I can see Cogs on a 4th line as a pure shut down line. If we were to go to rolling 4 lines we would need a guy like Lee and also some help from our young guys. I could see it working.

Agreed. The best thing about that line was that all three forwards were top caliber defensive players so all of them could generate turnovers which afforded them more offensive zone time than one would imagine given their individual offensive capabilities. They just had chemistry. I'm worried that without Kes, Silf and Cogs will look lost like they did last year. Idk that lost is the right term but "unable to utilize their skills to the fullest".

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I actually never even said what the price would be so it is hard to argue it is an overpayment. The question is whether we want to take another shot with this core. Right now we are middling which is the worst possible spot because we arent going to get high end prospects to build around. I say we go for it and rebuild later because have a good enough group where an add could make us a contender. Otherwise, sell assets for future talent that we can build around and try to find a 1c. Just dont sit idly in the middle.

Dude - these are your words from the post above - the one I replied to.

"Anders Lee

for

One of our d prospects
Nick Ritchie
Picks to make it even

That could really solve a lot of our lineup issues."

Separately, if you think the ducks should "go for it," trading young players and/or future draft picks for a one year player - a forward like Anders Lee - seems like it won't move the needle to the point where the ducks are contenders. If Kesler can't play to near his former level, center will be a much more pressing need for the ducks.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Jones will be given every opportunity to make the team but he could end up on a higher line especially if Eaves is out or sucks

He'll be given every opportunity in the same sense that every prospect has an opportunity if they light camp on fire, but in reality Jones doesn't appear anywhere near ready to contribute in a meaningful way and is likely headed for some AHL seasoning.

As things stand right now barring trade or injury we have Rakell, Perry, Silf, Cogs, Kase and Ritchie who would likely fill the top 9 winger spots + Rowney and Gibbons who appear to have been brought in for checking and PK roles and Eaves as a wildcard.

Then there's Comtois who despite being a year younger and still junior aged, has a better chance of playing his way into a longer look due to being a better prospect.

Can't forget about the group of older prospects with more pro and NHL experience - Roy, Blandisi, Kossila, Fiore etc.

On top of all that, Jones would be competing with a guy like Kopacka who has played his way into similar standing based on their junior careers since being drafted.

So while Jones may have the same chance as any of our prospects, he'd have to jump over a lot of names on the depth chart as things stand, and he's almost certainly best suited for AHL seasoning from what I've seen.

Last edited:

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
He'll be given every opportunity in the same sense that every prospect has an opportunity if they light camp on fire, but in reality Jones doesn't appear anywhere near ready to contribute in a meaningful way and is likely headed for some AHL seasoning.

As things stand right now barring trade or injury we have Rakell, Perry, Silf, Cogs, Kase and Ritchie who would likely fill the top 9 winger spots + Rowney and Gibbons who appear to have been brought in for checking and PK roles and Eaves as a wildcard.

Then there's Comtois who despite being a year younger and still junior aged, has a better chance of playing his way into a longer look due to being a better prospect.

Can't forget about the group of older prospects with more pro and NHL experience - Roy, Blandisi, Kossila, Fiore etc.

On top of all that, Jones would be competing with a guy like Kopacka who has played his way into similar standing based on their junior careers since being drafted.

So while Jones may have the same chance as any of our prospects, he'd have to jump over a lot of names on the depth chart as things stand, and he's almost certainly best suited for AHL seasoning from what I've seen.
Jones is currently considered Anaheims #2 forward prospect and there is a huge void in terms of physical forwards. He almost made the team last season but was sent to juniors. It's clear if he even has a similar camp to the players you mentioned he's making the team.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Jones is currently considered Anaheims #2 forward prospect and there is a huge void in terms of physical forwards. He almost made the team last season but was sent to juniors. It's clear if he even has a similar camp to the players you mentioned he's making the team.
I am not sure I have a spot in top 5 for him.

Steel
Terry
Comtois
Lundestrom
Jones is arguably #5 with Morand

I know it`s subjective but top 2 is definitely reaaaaching for it.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I am not sure I have a spot in top 5 for him.

Steel
Terry
Comtois
Lundestrom
Jones is arguably #5 with Morand

I know it`s subjective but top 2 is definitely reaaaaching for it.
It's debatable but regardless out of those mentioned (high pedigree prospects) wouldn't you say he's the most nhl ready?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

A) Considered that by who? You'd have a hard time convincing anyone Jones is a better prospect than Comtois or Terry at the moment.

B) I probably shouldn't bother, but everyone other than you would agree that physicality is not this team's issue at all.

C) The first nine players I named are all NHL wingers on one way deals, so I would say that if Jones comes in and has a similar camp to most those guys then he's 100% heading to SD and not displacing anyone.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
A) Considered that by who? You'd have a hard time convincing anyone Jones is a better prospect than Comtois or Terry at the moment.

B) I probably shouldn't bother, but everyone other than you would agree that physicality is not this team's issue at all.

C) The first nine players I named are all NHL wingers on one way deals, so I would say that if Jones comes in and has a similar camp to most those guys then he's 100% heading to SD and not displacing anyone.
Of the 9 you mentioned
Silf is a trade possibility, Cogs could get demoted the 4th line if Jones has a good camp.
Regardless I can see him starting on the 4th line Ala Perry and Getzlaf.
I. Won't even acknowledge your B point

As for A Terry is extremely undersized he needs plenty of time to develop physically and Comtois is coming straight from juniors and he definitely needs another year

I don't care what fans on this board think about whether they want physical players as of now the only forward who throws big hits let alone fight is Ritchie nobody else

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad