Line Combos: 2018-19 Roster Thread - Perry who?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Rowney will be fine.

Ennis is done as an NHL player.

Duclair I suspect has some off-ice issues that have affected his game. Players of his age don't usually go downhill so quickly unless there are other issues at play. The fact that he signed a one-year minimum deal speaks volumes. Hopefully he gets his act together and can get a better contract for 19-20 but I can see why most teams (including the Ducks) stayed away.

I also think Rowney will be fine. Still think he could have been had for the league minimum and 1 yr but still not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

Saying Ennis is done I disagree with. He went 8-14=22 in 73 games last season which is about double what Rowney has put up in the same # of games (his entire career). He also plays C which, if Kesler is a no-go, having him for 3C behind Henrique will be good.

As for Duclair, I agree that he must have some off-ice issues but he's also flashed more potential than any of our other signings. Kane had known off-ice issues but he still showed up and produced for the Sharks. And he and Ennis could have both been had for the price of Rowney.

All Mighty

Sep 20, 2014
California
allmightyhockeytalk.com
I also think Rowney will be fine. Still think he could have been had for the league minimum and 1 yr but still not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things.

Saying Ennis is done I disagree with. He went 8-14=22 in 73 games last season which is about double what Rowney has put up in the same # of games (his entire career). He also plays C which, if Kesler is a no-go, having him for 3C behind Henrique will be good.

As for Duclair, I agree that he must have some off-ice issues but he's also flashed more potential than any of our other signings. Kane had known off-ice issues but he still showed up and produced for the Sharks. And he and Ennis could have both been had for the price of Rowney.
Ennis took a grand total of 12 faceoffs last year, he is definitely not a center. While I would agree Ennis is more offense-oriented, he is most certainly in serious decline and very one-dimensional, not to mention injury prone as a small guy. We pretty much lost our entire 4th line, so I assume BM's priority was to find 4th liners who can provide safe minutes every game. I haven't seen Rowney enough to say for sure he's capable of that, but I'd assume he's more suited to that role than Ennis is.

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
Ennis took a grand total of 12 faceoffs last year, he is definitely not a center. While I would agree Ennis is more offense-oriented, he is most certainly in serious decline and very one-dimensional, not to mention injury prone as a small guy. We pretty much lost our entire 4th line, so I assume BM's priority was to find 4th liners who can provide safe minutes every game. I haven't seen Rowney enough to say for sure he's capable of that, but I'd assume he's more suited to that role than Ennis is.

Alright, that's a fair assessment. He definitely had injury problems for a couple years but he did play 73 games last year so its not entirely unlikely for him to be able to stay off the IR. And even if he isn't a true C, neither is Rowney. I believe Ben Street is the FA C signing we made. I think he has even less GP than Rowney iirc. Tbh, I didn't expect GMBM to go after anything significant since I don't think there's anything feasible we could do to push us over the edge barring heavily mortgaging our future but I didn't expect him so sign a bunch of AHLers and players who don't even have a full season's worth of games under their belt. Very strange FA even for Bargin Bin Bob lol

Reactions: All Mighty

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I know he's only 1 guy, but this team would get a HUGE boost if Ritchie took a big step this year. If he can become a threat, it would do wonders in terms of spreading our offense. I'm not holding my breath on it, but I really hope he brings something to the table this season.
I think our center situation will weigh heavily on that, hopefully he's no worse off than last season and plays with Rico again. Otherwise, I know it may be jumping the gun, but I'd love to see how Nick and Steel mesh.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think our center situation will weigh heavily on that, hopefully he's no worse off than last season and plays with Rico again. Otherwise, I know it may be jumping the gun, but I'd love to see how Nick and Steel mesh.
I've been going through highlights of our games last season and Ritchie was really, really good the last two weeks of the year. He had four or five goals in the last dozen games, and was consistently around the net causing trouble.

I really think he's due for a breakout next season and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he hit 20.

He and kase should continue as a duo because they work well off each other.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Can we trade Perry to another team for their underperforming players? Would we want Dubinsky + Wennberg for Perry + Holzer? I think that would be a hockey trade to salvage or jumpstart the players. Got to think Perry could get 20+ goals at least one more season if he had power play time, and Dubinsky and Wennberg have to be able to get a dozen goals a year right?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Can we trade Perry to another team for their underperforming players? Would we want Dubinsky + Wennberg for Perry + Holzer? I think that would be a hockey trade to salvage or jumpstart the players. Got to think Perry could get 20+ goals at least one more season if he had power play time, and Dubinsky and Wennberg have to be able to get a dozen goals a year right?

No way Columbus gives up on Wennberg after one bad year.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Ritchie wasn’t terrible in the offensive zone. He could work on getting to the net more, but his D zone work needs drastic improvement. Have to think he is one of the main culprits Bob was referring to when he talked about us constantly going back into our own zone. Ritchie turned back towards our own goal with the puck along the boards an extreme number of times last season.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No way Columbus gives up on Wennberg after one bad year.
And his year wasn’t even that bad. Disappointing compared to the prior season but not bad at all for age 23. Put up 0.55 PPG. I think he’ll put up 55 points this coming season

I see no scenario where he doesn’t end up at least a 2C (barring injury of course)

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
And his year wasn’t even that bad. Disappointing compared to the prior season but not bad at all for age 23. Put up 0.55 PPG. I think he’ll put up 55 points this coming season

I see no scenario where he doesn’t end up at least a 2C (barring injury of course)

He didnt appear impressive at all in the games that I viewed and 8 goals for a player that will be making $5.35 M the next 4 years seems worse than Beleskey's contract, even if he is only 23 and a former high draft pick. I think his upside is an elite 3rd line center, but only if he can become a good faceoff guy. He would definitely add a ton more speed in comparison to Perry for sure. Sometimes a change in scenary for players can do some good.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I know that I'm wishing a bit, but I really hope this is the year Steel forces his way onto the team.

Also, how close are we to saying Terry is definitely on the roster? I assume that him re-signing with us, when he didn't have to, came with some guarantees of playing time. Is he a lock for our opening day roster?

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
I know that I'm wishing a bit, but I really hope this is the year Steel forces his way onto the team.

Also, how close are we to saying Terry is definitely on the roster? I assume that him re-signing with us, when he didn't have to, came with some guarantees of playing time. Is he a lock for our opening day roster?
The way this off-season has gone it seems BM expects both Steel and Jones to make the team.
(not signing a center and not signing any physical forwards)

imjustzach

May 9, 2018
The way this off-season has gone it seems BM expects both Steel and Jones to make the team.
(not signing a center and not signing any physical forwards)

I think we only have 2 LW on the roster atm (Ritchie/Rakell). We do have 6 RW on the roster w/ the additions Rodin/Rowney so they may have someone switch to LW but I wouldn't be surprised if we see someone like Jones/Steel/Terry make the jump. Jones is a LW and Henrique is a natural LW iirc from his time in NJ so if Steel/Terry make the jump, they might try them at center and push Henrique back to the outside.

To be honest, the fact that there is so much uncertainty has me excited because I think that between that and BMs comments at the end of the season, we might see some real changes on the team whether in terms of roster or system. Never know with RC still at the helm but I'll happily endure a losing season to see the team try some new things (for more than a couple games at a time).

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
I think we only have 2 LW on the roster atm (Ritchie/Rakell). We do have 6 RW on the roster w/ the additions Rodin/Rowney so they may have someone switch to LW but I wouldn't be surprised if we see someone like Jones/Steel/Terry make the jump. Jones is a LW and Henrique is a natural LW iirc from his time in NJ so if Steel/Terry make the jump, they might try them at center and push Henrique back to the outside.

To be honest, the fact that there is so much uncertainty has me excited because I think that between that and BMs comments at the end of the season, we might see some real changes on the team whether in terms of roster or system. Never know with RC still at the helm but I'll happily endure a losing season to see the team try some new things (for more than a couple games at a time).
Cogliano

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012

Steel, yes. Terry is not a C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad