League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I totally understand them going all in. They wanted to send a message, three fold: To the fans that they are committed. To the players that they believe in their potential, and maybe then also to Bob and Bread that they were committed to winning, so please stick around. So I get the messaging.

But the implementation was dreadful. They bring in guys with zero history of leadership or really even much character. They don't address their real needs. And they paid a boatload without securing long term deals like GMBM and GMGM did with their moves. It was a desperation move, and those rarely work.

They aren't winning any series and when this is over, they are 200% f***ed!

Goood!

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I totally understand them going all in. They wanted to send a message, three fold: To the fans that they are committed. To the players that they believe in their potential, and maybe then also to Bob and Bread that they were committed to winning, so please stick around. So I get the messaging.

But the implementation was dreadful. They bring in guys with zero history of leadership or really even much character. They don't address their real needs. And they paid a boatload without securing long term deals like GMBM and GMGM did with their moves. It was a desperation move, and those rarely work.

They aren't winning any series and when this is over, they are 200% ****ed!

Goood!

But aren’t they held hostage to the market of deadline players available this year?

You don’t typically bring in late season reinforcements to be “leaders”. They’re hired guns brought in to reinforce and produce.

Maybe their locker room leadership group isn’t that strong, but I suspect Torts helps strengthen that if it’s a weakness.

Lots of games left. I’m not writing them off.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
But aren’t they held hostage to the market of deadline players available this year?

You don’t typically bring in late season reinforcements to be “leaders”. They’re hired guns brought in to reinforce and produce.

Maybe their locker room leadership group isn’t that strong, but I suspect Torts helps strengthen that if it’s a weakness.

Lots of games left. I’m not writing them off.

Pens just shut them out, what are you holding out for? :D

I think we see the difference between BMac and them. If there isn't a deal that fits right in, don't do it just for the sake of doing it. BMac seems to have learned well from his initial mistakes.

And while I don't know much about their locker room, if the organization as a whole was a tight knit family, I wouldn't expect their biggest stars to have already reserved a moving van in December. Again its a difference between us and them. We've locked up everyone we've wanted to lock up - Ovi, Backie, Kuzy, Orlov, JC, Holts, Willy. Thats some serious draft pick talent that stuck with us even before we were Cups champs.

Reactions: calicapsfan

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
The cycle is complete when Avs get the 1st overall pick summer, followed by Duchene re-signing, Bob and Panarin walking and Senators getting an 1st overall pick year after now from Columbus in that Duchene -trade.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If they make a deep run, I’m sure someone high up in Columbus has hopes they can convince 1 of them to stay, maybe both.

I doubt that is in the cards. Bob is in his twilight I think. He would be smart to sign his last big contract with the best possible combo "money + city". And even then I doubt he will be much effective during that period. So why would Columbus sign him to bad contract?

Panarin is even harder. His GF wants better city and he wants to play for the glory while he can (and he can manage to stay on this level for some years surely). There is no Columbus in his future.

Should have traded both in advance. Knowing Panarin wants to be UFA they had enough time honestly.

PS: Hmm, maybe someone really had hopes making false assumptions, like we armchair GMs like to do.

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010

They aren't winning any series and when this is over, they are 200% ****ed!

Goood!

Regardless of the rationale for these moves - we don't know what they know about their fan base, STHers, players and so on - I have to wonder whether the decisionmakers considered what happens if they don't win any series because they don't make the playoffs. If you're considering possible outcomes, and developing plans to respond to those situations, what does the "9th in the Conference" plan look like? It's likely that you haven't given pending UFAs any additional reasons to stick around, and your potential nuts (i.e., picks) are sorely lacking. Seems like thinking fans wouldn't be very happy in those circumstances.

Jun 15, 2007
Player Discussion - Jay Beagle

Vancouver fans not very happy with Beagle.

You can be the most likeable guy in the world, but if you sign a big contract you have no hope of living up to, you'll quickly turn into a villain.

Happy for Beagle that he gets his money, even happier for us it wasn't us who signed him.

VaCaps Fan

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2018
What did they expect from overpaying a Stanley cup “glue” guy? GMBM flat out told Jay to go for the money and support his family...

Reactions: Silky mitts

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I doubt that is in the cards. Bob is in his twilight I think. He would be smart to sign his last big contract with the best possible combo "money + city". And even then I doubt he will be much effective during that period. So why would Columbus sign him to bad contract?

Panarin is even harder. His GF wants better city and he wants to play for the glory while he can (and he can manage to stay on this level for some years surely). There is no Columbus in his future.

Should have traded both in advance. Knowing Panarin wants to be UFA they had enough time honestly.

PS: Hmm, maybe someone really had hopes making false assumptions, like we armchair GMs like to do.

If one left and one was willing to stay for career contract $, Columbus would jump at the chance IMO. I'd think Bob is the likely one if anyone. Panarin can walk for his payday in a warmer location and probably shittier team.

Should have moved him. Oh well..

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hard to imagine, that 13 year deal is coming close to its end, and it was a ridiculous steal, for us, in more ways than just dollars!

I think it's been equitable for both sides.

Like many good businessmen, Leonsis took a risk on that deal with a massive commitment in Ovy's and Nicky's deal, and they paid off and will continue to pay off for a long time. Think about it, he committed almost $200 mil to two players, when the franchise's value in 2012, 2 years AFTER Backstrom's deal was signed was only $250 mil.

Ovy simply gets to live on forever as a Legend, maybe the GOAT of goal scorers and is set financially.

Ownership really made Ovy a part of the family for life essentially immediately, then not only walked the walk by paying him for 13 years, they embraced his family. His dad was there nightly at games shaking hands and kissing babies and LOVING that lifestyle for the last really good years of his life. They really built the franchise around him and Nicky. It's been an amazing commitment both ways IMO.

Crazy we can see the end of the tunnel coming.....is someone cutting onions??!!?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Player Discussion - Jay Beagle

Vancouver fans not very happy with Beagle.

You can be the most likeable guy in the world, but if you sign a big contract you have no hope of living up to, you'll quickly turn into a villain.

Happy for Beagle that he gets his money, even happier for us it wasn't us who signed him.

I think this is the line of reasoning Tex is selling with the idea of Connolly signing here somewhat "cheaper" than his market value. Jay Beagle could be a buyout candidate at some point if he REALLY disappoints or management changes direction or gets fired, you just never know. Maybe Connolly see's that and takes a Mil less a year to stay in the safe, but still lucrative , and most importantly ONLY confines he's been successful in as a Pro.

Then we could resign Beagle on the cheap after his buyout lol...Orpik style.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Crazy we can see the end of the tunnel coming.....is someone cutting onions??!!?

Im certainly not. Cup changed everything and now Im a very proud Caps fan. Witnessing Ovi live at numerous tournaments changed a part of my life and its f***ing great. Was great, is great and will be great forever. There No rAgrets.

Second part of Ovi's career is full of great hockey. No worries.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Beagle after BO could be not the same player we remember. I can still claim I've said he lost a step 1,5 years before signing with Canucks. There was no point in resigning Beagle and GMBM did not. And he won't do that any time in the future. Dowd has to make DC great again.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Beagle after BO could be not the same player we remember. I can still claim I've said he lost a step 1,5 years before signing with Canucks. There was no point in resigning Beagle and GMBM did not. And he won't do that any time in the future. Dowd has to make DC great again.

Totally joking on resigning him. Lol...

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jun 15, 2007
Werenski has looked like trash. If they trade one defenseman, it'll be him.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Columbus made a crazy bet and is getting a predictable catastrophic outcome. Maybe the silver lining for them will be that it will be so catastrophic as to leave them no choice but to start from scratch (and feel justified doing so) -- but now with some organization memory to prevent such disasters in the future -- the Forsberg vaccination, if you will.

But it will be sad if they break their fanbase's back in the process. Thrashers come to mind for some reason -- a team that had some promise and real talent at one time, and it all withered away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad