League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Well, the Sens suck, but the Gilligans aren't far behind.

There aren't many RALPHs in the history of hock. Great movie I know you know I know. I love the radio scene. Man Stoner : [on police radio] Hello, hello, hello, hello, hello, can you hear me?
Clyde - Narc : Hello, headquarters? Hello, headquarters? Come in, headquarters. This is Officer Clive... we are...

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I still think Columbus gets in.

I don't feel Montreal is very good.

Yeah but the Habs have Price and that can be a really good equalizer.

Jackets remaining:

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 10.34.43 PM.png

Habs remaining:

Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 10.35.12 PM.png

Last edited:

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
When are the lower ranking Penguins going to relaize sticking up for the higher ups is a bad idea? :rolleyes:

Really wish McQuaid hadn’t gave Hornqvist an option.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I honestly don’t feel bad at all. This is the same team and fan base that was laughing it up and mocking the Kuzy bird celebration in a meaningless regular season game.:laugh:

Its so stupid for a team to build around two guys that don't want to be there... and they knew well in advance.

Should have just moved on... it's not like Panarin and Bobrovsky are legendary Hall of Famers.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Most of us armchair GMs could see that the Jackets we're making a terrible mistake. I truly can't understand what thought process convinced Davidson and Kekelainen that this would work out well for that franchise.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Most of us armchair GMs could see that the Jackets we're making a terrible mistake. I truly can't understand what thought process convinced Davidson and Kekelainen that this would work out well for that franchise.

One playoff series. Win just one. That was the process. If they sold they weren't going to get instant impact players. They would then have no quality takers of free agent contracts. Their fan base after dealing with never winning a playoff round would be facing years of rebuilding.

Go all in, win one playoff series and maybe they can retain Duchene and attract free agent players to use the new cap space.

Consider that the damage to the franchise for selling and losing and buying and losing look very similar to them.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
6 years with the organization and the record is not good to say the least. They are obviously in a desperation mode. Also Duchene is an excellent player no matter what people say about him. He just cant quite get his mojo back since the trade. If he was scoring at ppg pace with CBJ, that would have been a different picture.

Last edited:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
One playoff series. Win just one. That was the process. If they sold they weren't going to get instant impact players. They would then have no quality takers of free agent contracts. Their fan base after dealing with never winning a playoff round would be facing years of rebuilding.

Go all in, win one playoff series and maybe they can retain Duchene and attract free agent players to use the new cap space.

Consider that the damage to the franchise for selling and losing and buying and losing look very similar to them.

I get that a series win was the hope, but I think it's this part that's a huge miscalculation, which I can't belive the CBUS front office made. Selling and losing would have at least built their asset pool. Buying and losing will leave them with no roster, no assets, and no good way forward. Was pure hubris to think they could salvage this season with high-priced TDL acquisitions.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I get that a series win was the hope, but I think it's this part that's a huge miscalculation, which I can't belive the CBUS front office made. Selling and losing would have at least built their asset pool. Buying and losing will leave them with no roster, no assets, and no good way forward. Was pure hubris to think they could salvage this season with high-priced TDL acquisitions.

I don't think it was hubrus. I think it was desperation. I think they thought the damage to the franchise would be too great building their asset pool or not.

I could be wrong, but they know their fan base. There is logic to the thinking given certain conditions that we cant know. I am positive they didn't think they were going to challenge for a cup. That tells me that they felt like it was critical to get in and win one series. Enough to take these risks. I don't think it was gunslinging.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
If they make a deep run, I’m sure someone high up in Columbus has hopes they can convince 1 of them to stay, maybe both.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't think it was hubrus. I think it was desperation. I think they thought the damage to the franchise would be too great building their asset pool or not.

I could be wrong, but they know their fan base. There is logic to the thinking given certain conditions that we cant know. I am positive they didn't think they were going to challenge for a cup. That tells me that they felt like it was critical to get in and win one series. Enough to take these risks. I don't think it was gunslinging.
Yeah, maybe. But it's hard to look at the moves they made and think the outcome would be a series win. It looked to me from the start like they dropped a bomb into that dressing room.

Last edited:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Many organizations also rationalize poor decisions by inventing limitations that may not exist if they just went to the fanbase and honestly explained their decision-making. Maybe there was ownership interference as well...who knows but they should have stuck to their guns regardless of whatever history they're trying to overcome. Is the ultimate goal to finally win a playoff series or the Cup? Fact of the matter was/is it's hard to win when some of your best players are halfway out the door. It's a credit to them that it hasn't been a massive distraction up until recently. But even if we go along with the strategy, the execution was also pretty questionable. They did need a center but did they need to go all-in on Duchene and agree to not just give up one first rounder but also potentially a second one should they re-sign him? That's a poison pill type agreement. Was Dzingel really the player they needed vs. one of the many other options? The same goes for McQuaid, even if the D market was pretty thin.

The mix looks very off at the moment and some of that's hindsight but where I'd mostly center the decision-making is on whether their younger core group is deep enough to be so aggressive regardless of what may happen with UFAs. I think the answer on that has always been no, esp. with the season Wennberg is having and that they don't have much in the way of real high-end talent in the pipeline (although it's not altogether terrible). Even with a bunch of cap space this is probably a team that will need considerable alterations and retooling over the next couple seasons, particularly should they miss the playoffs. I'd bet on that vs. MTL/CAR and the next week or two may be all it takes to sink them mentally.

Reactions: calicapsfan

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
I'm guessing they thought that because Bob and Panarin were in contract years, they'd be motivated to prove their worth. But they could suck from now until April, not make the playoffs, and still get overpaid, because at any given time there's always at least 5 NHL GMs (and often far more than that) that act like they're hopelessly drunk romantics with their owner's money. It's a tough spot for Jarmo - trading them effectively confirms that even the CBJ brass gets that no one wants to play in Columbus. But I just don't see how you can have the 2 most important players on a team down the stretch toward the playoffs be two guys that made it clear they don't want to be on the team. I mean the battle quotient of their top players in the last couple of games has been pretty limp. For everyone other than Panarin, I think it's less an effort level, and more a stress thing. But if Torts can't get the team to at least compete their butts, then what is he good for.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah, maybe. But it's hard to look at the moves they made and think the outcome would be a series win. It looked to me from the start like they dropped a bomb into that dressing room.

There were people in the hockey media that thought they had suddenly jumped to the top of the metro. It wasn't just one outlier either.

Myself, being a Caps fan and too familiar with the weight of losing, felt like dumping that pressure into that locker room was as you say like throwing a grenade in there. They would crack. And so they are.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Many organizations also rationalize poor decisions by inventing limitations that may not exist if they just went to the fanbase and honestly explained their decision-making. Maybe there was ownership interference as well...who knows but they should have stuck to their guns regardless of whatever history they're trying to overcome. Is the ultimate goal to finally win a playoff series or the Cup?

As always good stuff....

I’ll say this though. Yours is an easier position to take when it’s not your team, your players, and most importantly your fan base.

I would almost guarantee ownership was involved in this. Sooooo many moves mortgaging the future.

The ultimate goal is the Cup, but you have to win a playoff series to win a Cup right?

Crawl before you walk. Prioritizing one foundational goal doesn’t mean you have necessarily taken your eyes off the prize.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Crawl before you walk. Prioritizing one foundational goal doesn’t mean you have necessarily taken your eyes off the prize.
All true. I just don't think the lifers there to stay for a while are good or deep enough yet to where the risk outweighed the reward, particularly in how it was executed. That's easier to say right now from afar and with them just four points from being in an okay spot. If they had another promising young piece or two I could see it. As-is, it risks being a flash in the pan with growing pains to come. Some success would be good and progress but the foundation isn't quite there. Compare that to a pick in the 11-15 range at the latest, plus a pretty good prospect and a first for Panarin. Plus having all of the other assets they gave up in addition to loads of cap space and it was an opportunity that Kekelainen should have been able to sell more strongly. All they've maybe done is make a rebuild situation much worse.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
All true. I just don't think the lifers there to stay for a while are good or deep enough yet to where the risk outweighed the reward, particularly in how it was executed. That's easier to say right now from afar and with them just four points from being in an okay spot. If they had another promising young piece or two I could see it. As-is, it risks being a flash in the pan with growing pains to come. Some success would be good and progress but the foundation isn't quite there. Compare that to a pick in the 11-15 range at the latest, plus a pretty good prospect and a first for Panarin. Plus having all of the other assets they gave up in addition to loads of cap space and it was an opportunity that Kekelainen should have been able to sell more strongly. All they've maybe done is make a rebuild situation much worse.

This is why I believe Ownership said go win us a series and more this year. JD and Kek would be signing their own death warrants doing all that on their own. When have they ever had more talent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad