Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would think Leafs would want him in Toronto to work with Babs.

Only way he really deals with Babcock is if he goes deep training camp to get exhibition games and then if he is good enough to make our main roster. All the stuff Rasanen needs to work on simply requires ice time. I don't know if he is going to get as much as he needs to develop in the KHL, it didn't look like it this year.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
Only way he really deals with Babcock is if he goes deep training camp to get exhibition games and then if he is good enough to make our main roster. All the stuff Rasanen needs to work on simply requires ice time. I don't know if he is going to get as much as he needs to develop in the KHL, it didn't look like it this year.
I don't think KHL is the right option for him. He is not getting ice time he needs. Could it be realistic that he signs with Marlies to play like every other game and then gets to work with the trainers of the Leafs organization?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I don't think KHL is the right option for him. He is not getting ice time he needs. Could it be realistic that he signs with Marlies to play like every other game and then gets to work with the trainers of the Leafs organization?

It is possible, the RHD in the organization looks to have grown quite a bit.

RD for the Marlies next year could feature Liljegren, Hollowell, Lindgren, Holl and Duszak.

Leafs have the depth and $$$ to take him on but I think he does need actual ice time. He got home sick so I wouldn't even be opposed to some time in Finland next year, even if it is Tier 2. Although I think he signed a 2 year KHL deal.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

RD for the Marlies next year could feature Liljegren, Hollowell, Lindgren, Holl and Duszak.

Leafs have the depth and $$$ to take him on but I think he does need actual ice time. He got home sick so I wouldn't even be opposed to some time in Finland next year, even if it is Tier 2. Although I think he signed a 2 year KHL deal.

I think Liljegren and Holl are on the Leafs next year. Holl is cheap, which is what the Leafs need for depth. I originally had him on the Marlies, but at this point, we won't need him. Have Hollowell, Lindgren, Duszak and Rasanen as your RD for next year. That's a pretty deep RD group. Look at vet LD to compliment them. One of Kivihalme or Borgman will likely be on the Marlies next year (I personally think it'll be Kivihalme) along with Sandin. Add Gordeev on an AHL deal (as long as he takes it) to be the depth option and you've got a defense that is good. The defense is not even really getting younger. We'll have younger depth guys, and we'll have a younger guy replacing Rosen. That's about it.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm

I remember reading that the second year of his contract was terminated.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Jeffler is continuing with the Bracco can't produce 5 on 5. However, he is second on the team in even strength P/G, and 19th in the entire league among players who have played at least 60 games.

Reactions: cookie

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think they actually said something like Jokerit has terminated the remainder of his deal so he could come to Toronto. I expect he will be in Liiga next season which is a better level for his development.

Yeah, maybe 1 more year there and we can re-assess

By then, Liljegren will have definitely graduated the AHL.

That will leave Duszak, Hollowell, and Lindgren. He has more draft pedigree and unique elements the big club doesn't have.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I think they actually said something like Jokerit has terminated the remainder of his deal so he could come to Toronto. I expect he will be in Liiga next season which is a better level for his development.
Yes, that's what I remember. Jokerit terminated his contract. Liiga sounds like a solid option for him. That route has been good for, for example, Lindgren.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
He's good enough for the Marlies next year. If he was on NFLD, he'd be top 4.
Thats what I mean. Borderline on heading to the Growlers.

Even if Liljegren makes the Leafs, it seems that Lindgren,Hollowell, and Duszak are ahead on the right side right now. All of which should be playing.

Then you have a decision to make on Subban, if they move on they probably bring in a vet RHD for the group.

If Rasanen is over here I'd want him playing as many games as possible so I'd have him on the Growlers right now.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

Even if Liljegren makes the Leafs, it seems that Lindgren,Hollowell, and Duszak are ahead on the right side right now. All of which should be playing.

Then you have a decision to make on Subban, if they move on they probably bring in a vet RHD for the group.

If Rasanen is over here I'd want him playing as many games as possible so I'd have him on the Growlers right now.
They only have Kivihalme and Sandin on the left side. With Gordeev as a possibility. A RHD may have to move to the left side anyways. I think it's possible he could play over some of those listed ahead of him. I do think a move to the Liiga is his best alternative. Going back to the KHL may be career suicide at this point, I'd much prefer him on the Marlies than have him go there.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I thought you meant borderline like may not make their lineup :laugh:

Honestly, what you are saying is what I originally thought (i.e. not good enough for the Marlies, but full timer for the Growlers), but HF has made me a bit cynical recently.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
It's pretty funny on the main boards seeing Durzi all of a sudden become seen as a legitimately good prospect with hype after he got traded. No one here or on the main board cared about the guy at all until the trade, and his season has been nearly identical to last (except he's on a better team that is still playing).

It' could change down the line but it's definitely a bit strange, Liljegren and Lindgren (with the year he had) are clearly a step above. Hollowell is at least on the same tier, and productivity-wise, a good argument can be made he deserves to be ranked higher now as well.

I remember when he was still a Leaf prospect and many fans were either indifferent or leaning towards being pessimistic about his slow start to the year (and performance in the rookie camp).

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
It' could change down the line but it's definitely a bit strange, Liljegren and Lindgren (with the year he had) are clearly a step above. Hollowell is at least on the same tier, and productivity-wise, a good argument can be made he deserves to be ranked higher now as well.

I remember when he was still a Leaf prospect and many fans were either indifferent or leaning towards being pessimistic about his slow start to the year (and performance in the rookie camp).

I was like that before we even drafted him. He was not worth a 2nd round pick. I had him ranked in the Stotts range. Late 3rd or into the 4th, maybe a bit earlier if we really liked him, but not at 52...

I don't blame Dubas though. With control freak Hunter at the helm I doubt he really had any real control over the draft board until he took over the GM job, so he really only had like a few weeks to get his draft board together. A lot of the draft was taking familiar guys it seems...

Reactions: firstemperor

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I was like that before we even drafted him. He was not worth a 2nd round pick. I had him ranked in the Stotts range. Late 3rd or into the 4th, maybe a bit earlier if we really liked him, but not at 52...

I don't blame Dubas though. With control freak Hunter at the helm I doubt he really had any real control over the draft board until he took over the GM job, so he really only had like a few weeks to get his draft board together. A lot of the draft was taking familiar guys it seems...
Addison would've been so nice there. I also wonder if we would've been in on Akil Thomas if he fell one more slot. Never liked the Durzi pick and Hollowell legitimately outplayed him this year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They only have Kivihalme and Sandin on the left side. With Gordeev as a possibility.

There is also Borgman and Rosen to discuss as well on the left side. The Finns think Kivihalme is a top 4 NHL ready guy now.... of course, you would be correct in pointing out, that they've been overly optimistic in the past as well.... Surely at least one of, maybe two of Borgman, Rosen and Kivi will be with the Leafs. Leafs also have LHD drafted, but not yet signed in Holmberg and Kara. The Marlies could also directly sign a veteran AHL LHD, if deemed necessary.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
There is also Borgman and Rosen to discuss as well on the left side. The Finns think Kivihalme is a top 4 NHL ready guy now.... of course, you would be correct in pointing out, that they've been overly optimistic in the past as well.... Surely at least one of, maybe two of Borgman, Rosen and Kivi will be with the Leafs. Leafs also have LHD drafted, but not yet signed in Holmberg and Kara. The Marlies could also directly sign a veteran AHL LHD, if deemed necessary.
Holmberg and Kara are both forwards

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Right now.

Rielly - Dermott
Muzzin - Zaitsev
Rosen - FA
ex. Borgman

They need a defender from FA, 2 if Zaitsev leaves. Rosen is an opening day lineup lock. Borgman is a lock for the 7th D position. Leaving the Marlies with 2 LHD. Sandin is likely replacing Dermott to start next season because of his injury and has a strong chance of finishing the year with the Leafs, leaving them with only Kivihalme to start with the Marlies. I do suspect that they target a LHD in FA for the Marlies, if they do not sign Gordeev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad