Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
Mason Marchment might very well get a spot on the Leafs next year. We definitely need to get larger skilled players.

If Brock Nelson gets 6 million what are Kapanen and Johnsson going to be asking for? Could be large.

I think that people are going to be surprised by how (comparatively) little Kapanen and Johnsson sign for -- this time. Arbitration awards to wingers with 1 decent season under their belts have not been at all generous in the past. For example, Connor Brown signed for 3 years at just over $2M AAV after his 20 goal season. However, if one or both keep progressing at their current pace, they will eventually get paid.

Borschevsky

Aug 9, 2005
I was at the game last night. Lots of shots, sure. But definitely didn't seem like a lot of quality shots. Tokarski didnt have to make many big saves but it was more than I can say for Hutch.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I do not think there is a better option than Baptiste.

His competition is MacMaster, Gagne, Conrad, Clune, Sestito and Molino. If there is a better player on that list I don't see it. He's been in a 4th line role without special teams and has done a pretty good job with limited usage.

If the Leafs didn't move Klimchuk for Gagne he would probably be in over Baptiste. Never seemed like a very good move.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Raiders’ Ian Scott wins Vaughn Goaltender of the Year Award – CHL
Prince Albert Raiders goaltender Ian Scott had a banner year, winning 38 of his 49 appearances to help guide the Raiders to first place in the WHL and an eventual 16-7 playoff record that saw the club win its first Ed Chynoweth Cup since 1985.

The regular season saw the 20-year-old Calgary native top the charts with eight shutouts, while he also finished second league-wide in goals-against average (1.83) and save percentage (.932).

The Toronto Maple Leafs prospect was a seven-time recipient of WHL Eli Wilson Goaltending Goaltender of the Week honours, including three times in the postseason as he wrapped up the playoffs with 16 wins in 23 appearances, including five perfect games, to guide the Raiders to a spot the Memorial Cup tournament for the first time in 34 years. Scott has spent four seasons with the Raiders, coming away with 87 wins in 175 career appearances after he was originally selected ninth overall by Prince Albert in the 2014 WHL Bantam Draft.

For two years running, a WHL netminder has captured the Vaughn Goaltender of the Year Award, with Scott’s win coming on the heels of Carter Hart (Everett Silvertips) in 2018. Finalists this year included Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen of the Sudbury Wolves as well as Samuel Harvey of the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I do not think there is a better option than Baptiste.

His competition is MacMaster, Gagne, Conrad, Clune, Sestito and Molino. If there is a better player on that list I don't see it. He's been in a 4th line role without special teams and has done a pretty good job with limited usage.

If the Leafs didn't move Klimchuk for Gagne he would probably be in over Baptiste. Never seemed like a very good move.

Baptiste has been far better than Klimchuk has been this year. Gagne looked better than Klimchuk this year, at least for us. He only had a few really good games this year to make his production look respectable at times, but otherwise was awful.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Regardless of the series outcome, am proud of the Marlies. Great run. Great experience and opportunity for a bunch of the org’s best.
Bracco looking ready. Lili taking charge. Sandin promising. Moore and Rosen ready. Engvall, March and Korshkov showing promise as bangers. Brooks stepping up. Three other RD encouraging. Tima and Carcone looking useful. A great coach cementing his rank as one of the best outside the NHL and doing great work readying players.
Not to mention, at the very least, it’s a great chance to scout the Canes pro prospects.
I’ll bet a $1 that Kadri/Kap get linked to the Canes again this off-season ;)

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Baptiste has been far better than Klimchuk has been this year. Gagne looked better than Klimchuk this year, at least for us. He only had a few really good games this year to make his production look respectable at times, but otherwise was awful.
They've been pretty comparable AHL performers the last few years and actually compare well in a lot of individual categories. Baptiste has seen more time in the NHL. They both paced at 32 points over 82 games in the AHL this year. Klimchuk only saw 11 games for the Marlies and didn't produce much. He did elsewhere. I think they should have given him more time, I saw upside as a potential speedy defensive minded checker at the NHL level, if not he stood a better chance at being retained this summer, no chance for Gagne. He was always a better player than Gagne, who has limited scoring upside even at the AHL level. If Klimchuk didn't remove Baptiste from the lineup, he may have been a better fit than Jooris on line #4, who wasn't that good this year outside of the PK. In saying that even if he were the 13th forward heading into the post season I would've felt more confident with the roster.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I was impressed with Timashov's physical game this playoffs. He was much more aggressive throwing his weight around than I had thought. His hands on that penalty shot too. He's primed for a big season next year. I like him more than Carcone. Who looks like he's going to have one too.

Brooks kind of flies under the radar, but steadily puts up a respectable amount of points. You don't really notice him. In that sense he reminds me of Bozak. Could be the Marlies 1st line center next year.

Good season for the Marlies.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Where are we at on our 50 contract limit? Is signing Gordeev a realistic option?

He's still a project, but that size and decent skating gives him some potential, plus adds an element we're generally lacking.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Where are we at on our 50 contract limit? Is signing Gordeev a realistic option?

He's still a project, but that size and decent skating gives him some potential, plus adds an element we're generally lacking.

37/50 at this time. Kapanen, Marner and Johnsson will make it 40. Carcone will make it 41. McAdam, Gagne, Subban and Baptiste are RFAs but not sure if they will be retained. Either way, contract limit is not an issue.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
37/50 at this time. Kapanen, Marner and Johnsson will make it 40. Carcone will make it 41. McAdam, Gagne, Subban and Baptiste are RFAs but not sure if they will be retained. Either way, contract limit is not an issue.

McGregor?

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

He doesn't have the skills the other young dmen have that are already on the Marlies. He would go in as the worst defender under contract. I see it more likely that he doesn't reach his potential and I think the jump to the AHL may even be troubling for him. He may not be steady contributer for the Marlies. He would get a 3 year ELC and I think Gordeev is one they should take a pass on due to contract limits. They already have a questionable contract to deal with going forward with SDA. Given the Marlies center depth and the Leafs prospect pool at center, I'm very surprised that McGregor wasn't given one. I thought he was a lock.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If it were me I'd definitely sign McGregor and Gordeev, and I'm usually on the other side of the fence with wasting contracts on lesser prospects. I think they're both worth it, and we'd be at 40 contracts with essentially our entire NHL roster(less maybe 1 addition on the back end) filled out after qualifying Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson so that's not an issue and with our last couple drafts and only having 7 picks this year I don't think it'll be much of an issue for the entire 3 years of the ELC. There will certainly be spots down there on the Marlies for them to play too. If they don't sign them they'll have to use those contract spots on veterans to fill the 3/4C and 3LD roles anyway.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
With the contract situation and McGregor's pretty good draft + 2 season, I thought the odds of him getting an ELC was good. However he got released from that ATO fairly quickly.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I don't think being shallow at C is a good enough reason to sign McGregor, and the issue is overstated at the AHL level. Mueller should be back, we also have Brooks, Engvall, Greening (if back), Conrad (AHL contract), as well as Elynuik and Ferguson as options from the Growlers. Many, and likely all, of these options are better than McGregor, who is a low upside player himself.

I would still give him an AHL deal to play with the Growlers though.

Reactions: Saint Blue

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The Marlies will go sign whatever top AHL player that is needed to keep the team winning, that is what they do and how they stay an elite team, it's been said already.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'd love to somehow acquire the rights to Hoefenmayer. He's exactly the type of D the Leafs are trying to develop. Could get regular AHL minutes if one of Borgman/Kivihalme remain on the NHL roster.

Sandin - LoVerde (or another AHL Vet)
Borgman/Kiv - Lindgren
Hoefenmayer - Hollowell
Ex. Duszak (rotates in), Oleksy, and some other vets

I also have Liljegren on the Leafs to start due to the Dermott injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad