Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part V

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Korshkov signs, I assume he'd bump MacMaster to the 4th.

Moore-Mueller-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Carcone
Timashov-Engvall-Korshkov
Baptiste-Greening-MacMaster/Jooris

Will be really interesting to see and compare where Engvall and Korshkovs development paths have taken them.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Korshkov signs, I assume he'd bump MacMaster to the 4th.

Moore-Mueller-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Carcone
Timashov-Engvall-Korshkov
Baptiste-Greening-MacMaster/Jooris

Will be really interesting to see and compare where Engvall and Korshkovs development paths have taken them.

MacMaster was already on the 4th line. I would not be terribly surprised if they decide to move him up to play on a more offensive oriented line, and have the 3rd line last game become the 4th line.

Timashov-Mueller-Bracco
Marchment-Brooks-Moore (this line has the most chemistry)
Carcone-MacMaster-Korshkov
Engvall-Greening-Jooris

Baptiste and Molino come out. Either that or Greening/Jooris become your 3C and 4C and then you have Baptiste in there over MacMaster.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
The Marlies didn't have a particularly outstanding season, but they're calder cup experienced and are the only team who swept their opponent in the first round. Do they have a chance to go deep, or is their goaltending too atrocious?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The Marlies didn't have a particularly outstanding season, but they're calder cup experienced and are the only team who swept their opponent in the first round. Do they have a chance to go deep, or is their goaltending too atrocious?

Their goaltending this season was terrible in the first half ish of the season. Absolutely terrible.

Now that Hutchinson is back with the Marlies, and Kaskisuo playing out of his mind in the first round, they do have a chance to go far if they keep receiving good goaltending.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Our goaltending is a large reason why they swept the first round.

We are the major favourites against Cleveland. We should be able to easily dispatch them, regardless of what they did with Syracuse and having beat us a few times in the regular season. Just don't get cocky like Syracuse did with them and we'll beat them.

Charlotte is the main concern. I think we can beat any of the other teams left, even the good West teams. Our team is a lot better than our record suggests since we have a full team (and then some, now that we have Korshkov) for the first time in a long time, and we don't have any ECHL quality guys in the lineup anymore. However, Charlotte is not going to be an easy beat and I hope Hershey can really give it to them in their series.

If we can beat Charlotte, I like our chances to repeat.

Reactions: Fogelhund

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It's funny that is what we all are saying.
Untill they get to the big club no one knows.

Marincin hall and Sparkes look grt for the Marlies. Suck in the NHL .

Moore did anyone see this from him on the Marlies .

Yes, I saw this from Moore. I watched in mid 2017-18 Moore playing on the fourth line for the Marlies and said he should be on the first line. By the end of the season he was on the first line and in the playoffs looked like he would follow Johnsson's trajectory (if there was room for him to get a call up).

Marincin, Hall and Sparks were great on the Marlies, and, as you said being great on the Marlies is no indicator of NHL success. So Liljegren looking great on the Marlies means nothing.

You can say that we don't know until they are on the Leafs, but the organization doesn't believe that. They didn't see how good Nielsen would be on the Leafs before they traded him. They recognized, without putting him in the NHL lineup that he didn't have what it took. They didn't try Dermott out on the Leafs until his showed he could dominate on the Marlies - dominate production wise. What we have as a good indicator of success is production. It is not perfect and there are outliers, but they are rare, and it is a bad idea to assume that a prospect you like will be an outlier.

Sticky said that Gordeev's production was low and he shouldn't get an ELC.

Everyone responded emotionally saying that Sticky hadn't watched Gordeev play, and Gordeev was really good defensively and in transition, and that points don't mean anything etc.

Nope, of course that wasn't the case. Because people are rational when it is not one of their favorite prospects.

Liljegren's production is very low. It has been for 110 AHL games now. It has been for 3 years now, including his time back in Sweden and International competition. It was not before that time. I watched Liljegren play games in the SuperElit at 16. I don't mean highlight clips. I mean full games. He was completely dominant. He was on a bad team. When he was not on the ice it was completely tilted against his team. When he was on the ice it was completely tilted for his team. Didn't matter who he was on with or against. Almost all those players were 2 - 3 years older than him. Same goes for International tournament games when he was 16. The question always is does the player have the ability to take that to the next level? For the last several years the answer has looked less and less promising. Liljegren has plenty of tools. I already knew that from watching him when he was 16 and watching him last year. Does he have the toolbox? Wish he did, but at this point, it doesn't look that way.

But when people say that, others loose their minds. Wheeler and Pronman are two prospect evaluators who are very predisposed to love a player like Liljegren. But as they have become less and less enamored with him they have received nothing but invective from the mob. They were completely right in their assessment. Dubas talked up Liljegren last December - saying that before the injury they had been hoping that he would have been challenging for a spot in the spring. At the same time, according to Friedman the Leafs were down on Liljegren, and it appears Dubas was offering Liljegren in a trade, but the Kings were down on him too. I would say that it is 50/50 that the Leafs trade Liljegren before he plays a game with the big club. Makes more sense then subjecting him to fan expectations as a first rounder that he can't meet. The reassessment on him by Leafs fans in the weeks after a trade are going to be amazing.

Last edited:

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
you can watch all the games on the Leafs mobile app as long as you're in Canada (source). game also appears to be airing on TSN2.

I have 2 Android phones and 3 tablets in this house and not a single one is compatible. I think this app only works if you are in the Leafs region. I will try using a VPN to see if that helps (I'm in New Brunswick, I will see if a Toronto VPN will allow me to install)

edit: didn't work. I will see if my dad is able to get the app on his iPhone

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I have 2 Android phones and 3 tablets in this house and not a single one is compatible. I think this app only works if you are in the Leafs region. I will try using a VPN to see if that helps (I'm in New Brunswick, I will see if a Toronto VPN will allow me to install)

edit: didn't work. I will see if my dad is able to get the app on his iPhone
Check that the IOS is high enough

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I also find it humorous when people use “Sandin is a better prospect” to somehow drag Liljegren.

Sandin is turning into something special. Of course he’s a better prospect. That’s like dragging Bracco by saying Marner was a better prospect. No ****.

Liljegren has essentially turned into a modern day defensive d-man.

He can;
- Handle the puck under pressure
- Is a Zone Exit BEAST
- Is very good at gap control.

he’s essentially the opposite of everything people complained about with Polak and Zaitsev.

Its hilarious too because if you asked me to describe the Right-Handed defenseman the team needs to acquire with this core... it would be Liljegren.

If he scores points, thats a bonus.. but the thing is the Leafs have more than enough guys to score points. We need a defenseman with strong gap control and transition to make play go the right way - like you know, Liljegren.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Is the media turning on this kid? Now today on 590 Good Show they actually used the word "bust" as a possibility and said maybe it's better to trade Lil sooner while he has value. Mentioned LA not wanting him in Muzzin trade, why all the negative takes in the media all of sudden? TO is a funny market.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Is the media turning on this kid? Now today on 590 Good Show they actually used the word "bust" as a possibility and said maybe it's better to trade Lil sooner while he has value. Mentioned LA not wanting him in Muzzin trade, why all the negative takes in the media all of sudden? TO is a funny market.

I'm not sure what they said during the show, but if you take a look at the other defensemen during Liljegren's draft year, there has only been 1 stand0ut to jump in the league and play a full season & that's Miro Heiskanen. Makar & Brannstrom are definitely on the list to be the next to jump into the NHL sooner rather than later.

I don't think the Leafs are extremely happy with his development as to what they expected him to be. But I think the injuries have slowed him down a bit.

A bust could definitely be possible based on the position, but to call it 2 years after his draft year is a bit earlier, no?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007

Pretty funny that LA would rather have an older prospect playing in a vastly inferior league than a younger prospect performing very well in his 2nd year in a MUCH better one. You want Durzi? Fine by me.

Reactions: Dermott The Frog

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Liljegren is a great prospect. Toronto media might be our teams worst enemy.
It's funny because to everyone who isn't a Leaf fan, they think the Toronto media just gushes over all things Leafs when in reality, all they do is stir trouble, create false narratives and annoy people just for views.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Pretty funny that LA would rather have an older prospect playing in a vastly inferior league than a younger prospect performing very well in his 2nd year in a MUCH better one. You want Durzi? Fine by me.

Durzi hasn't even been amazing this year. At least not until the playoffs. Hollowell actually outperformed him, which is probably why Dubas was fine with trading him. Plus Durzi had injuries.

Durzi shouldn't have even been drafted in the 2nd round last year. I am perfectly fine with him getting dealt, because we now have more room to give other RD prospects a chance.

Reactions: Saint Blue

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Maybe it was Grundstrom they wanted instead and Durzi was already part of it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Durzi hasn't even been amazing this year. At least not until the playoffs. Hollowell actually outperformed him, which is probably why Dubas was fine with trading him. Plus Durzi had injuries.

Durzi shouldn't have even been drafted in the 2nd round last year. I am perfectly fine with him getting dealt, because we now have more room to give other RD prospects a chance.

Trading Durzi was incredibly smart.

Even our first rounder this year, while not a small addition, I’m not in love with anyone in the 20-30 range really.

Grundy sucks to lose. He’ll be good for LAK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad