2017 NHL Draft Part III (June 23-24)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I like Valimaki quite a bit.

I would have a hard time taking him over the four players Vatican listed. I wouldn't kill the pick if they did it, I just would want somebody different is all.

Valimaki at least has some size to him. I think it was pointed out they aren't real thrilled with the smaller defenders as they already have some. Now I think they would still consider Makar but that is an interesting rumor in terms of them liking the centers more than D that we heard a few weeks back. Sorry I know I should dig up the source but I remember reading they were higher on the forwards in the draft.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Holland stated (I believe I read it) that we should be able to get a player that can be in the NHL in 2 years.

If that's what he said, then they'll most likely draft someone like Necas. Probably explains why they took him out for dinner. I can't imagine any d-man is ready in two years, and Pettersson has a lot of filling out to do before he'll play in the big league.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
My Ideal draft:

(9) - C; Elias Pettersson (Timra IK) - Upside for days. A smart, skilled, playmaker that sees every angle. Perfect for what we need. Offensive creativity down the middle to shape the offense and potentially maximize the potential of Mantha and Svechnikov down the road. Not worried about his physique... it's the only reason we have a shot at him to begin with. (also like Middestadt and Brannstrom)

(38) - D; Max Gildon (USNDT) 6'3" 187LB - A little raw. But he really put it together at the end of the year and showed what the final product could be. Smart defensively, great size and mobility. Comes from Non traditional hockey market (Texas), so he could be a late bloomer. Scary considering he was already named to the U18's all star team and scored nearly a Point per game in the tournament. Had a Bertuzzi like 2nd half to his season. I saw him when he was playing great hockey at the U18's, so naturally I'm high on him. (Also like Robin Salo, and Robert Thomas)

(71) - D; Noel Hoefenmeyer (Ottawa) - 6' 190LB - I think people are sleeping on him. Put up very good offensive numbers considering how bad Ottawa was offensively. Great anticipation and can read the play in front him. Very tough to beat off the rush. Plays in all situations and I've seen his nasty side, despite that being a common knock. (Also like Evan Barrett)

(79) - C; Adam Ruzicka (Sarnia) 6'4" 208LB - Big strong kid with talent, hands and offensive vision. Plays with a little sandpaper and knows where his own end of the rink is. Questions about his skating, but that's why he might be available in the 3rd. Another high upside pick IMO. Another Czech in the mix. (also Like Zach Gallant)

(83) - D; Filip Westerlund (Frolunda) 5'11" 180LB - Really composed with the puck. Great Skater and has good instincts on where the pressure is coming from in the clips I've seen of him.

(88) - C Scott Reedy (USNDT) 6'2" 200LB - Big two way centre. Not many holes in his game. Kid looks like a safe pick in teh mold of Riley Sheahan... without the 1st round price tag.

(100) - D; Scooter Brickey (Des Moines) 6'3" 195LB - Detroit area player attending Western Michigan. Physical defender who can skate and he put up good offensive numbers by USHL standards.

(131) - C; Parker Kelly (Prince Albert) 5'10" 170LB - Feisty player. Kid went on a tear to close out the season scoring 29 points in his final 30 games on a terrible team.

(162) - D; Michael Karow (Younstown) 6'2" 200LB - Solely on potential. Good rookie year in Younstown and now off to Boston College. They tend to develop them.

(164) - G; Jordan Hollett (Regina) 6'4" - 195 - Big and Athletic. Just traded to a situation where he will be able to develop as a starter in the WHL. We need something in the pipeline in goal. There is some upside here. But he hasn't had much of a chance yet.... I know goalies are never popular.

(193) - RW; Petrus Palmu (Owen Sound) 5'6" 172LB - Double Overager, eligible to go direct to Grand Rapids next year. Small but stocky. Always Dangerous offensive talent who drove one of the most high scoring offenses in the OHL. Not a Pulkinnen 2.0. Much better hockey IQ and much, much, much stronger. His offense doesn't rely solely on his shot. (also like Finn Evans as an OJHL flyer)

Last edited:

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If that's what he said, then they'll most likely draft someone like Necas. Probably explains why they took him out for dinner. I can't imagine any d-man is ready in two years, and Pettersson has a lot of filling out to do before he'll play in the big league.

Yeah honestly based on what we've heard I feel as confident that we're going to draft Necas as I think one really can about a pick (obviously it's always super unpredictable. Necas could get snatched up early or someone they love could fall etc). I think it was Friedman (might have been Mackenzie) that said we are leaning towards a forward and then Holland said the player we get should be NHL ready sooner rather than later. For players that will probably be available where we pick that suggests Necas (Glass would be my next thought but I doubt he's available). On top of that we know they took Necas out to dinner.

That's fine by me. Necas Larkin and Athanasiou would be an absolute nightmare to match up against if you don't have great speed throughout your D. On top of that everyone is going to have pretty good size with Mantha and Svech obviously being quite large. If we draft a forward in the first I hope we use almost every other pick this year on D (grab one of the touted goalies in the third and another center somewhere).

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
So polarizing prospect talk now. What do you guys think of drafting Nikita Popugaev in the 2nd? 6'6 right shot winger that can skate, shoot, and pass. Heavily criticized for his effort and consistency. Big potential here though

I think drafting a winger, a position the Wings have historically drafted extremely well and already have young talent at, before the 6th round (in general, not specifically) is a massive, massive mistake. I'd rather reach on a slightly worse D or C 10 times out of 10.

In this specific case, there isn't a sport that exists where I'd draft a guy with questionable-to-bad work ethic.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would have a hard time taking him over the four players Vatican listed. I wouldn't kill the pick if they did it, I just would want somebody different is all.

I would too. But if we were to go for a defenseman, he is who I want.

Sorry I know I should dig up the source but I remember reading they were higher on the forwards in the draft.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-draft-mailbag-twitter-questions/c-289772622?tid=289593026

So polarizing prospect talk now. What do you guys think of drafting Nikita Popugaev in the 2nd? 6'6 right shot winger that can skate, shoot, and pass. Heavily criticized for his effort and consistency. Big potential here though

It's an interesting option, at least. Comtois is another dropper that could be an interesting option in the 2nd. I don't even know if I would mind taking a goalie in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
It's an interesting option, at least. Comtois is another dropper that could be an interesting option in the 2nd. I don't even know if I would mind taking a goalie in the 2nd round.

Eh I wouldn't be a big fan. There is bound to be some forward/Dman that the team likes quite a bit still at 38. With four third round picks you would still be able to nab one of your favorites in the third.

Another 2nd round possibility of might drop to us but probably not is Joshua Norris. Norris is the dot yours i's and cross your t's of Wings prospects. Competitive 2-way center with + skating ability that can distribute the puck well. Norris was born in Michigan and will attend U of M in the fall. He also absolutely destroyed the combine with his performance there. He has a pretty good chance of being selected in the 1st round, but if he is available, I have a hard time seeing the Wings pass on him

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Eh I wouldn't be a big fan. There is bound to be some forward/Dman that the team likes quite a bit still at 38. With four third round picks you would still be able to nab one of your favorites in the third.

Another 2nd round possibility of might drop to us but probably not is Joshua Norris. Norris is the dot yours i's and cross your t's of Wings prospects. Competitive 2-way center with + skating ability that can distribute the puck well. Norris was born in Michigan and will attend U of M in the fall. He also absolutely destroyed the combine with his performance there. He has a pretty good chance of being selected in the 1st round, but if he is available, I have a hard time seeing the Wings pass on him

*Should have prefaced that by saying if Oettinger or Petruzzeli are left in round 2, I wouldn't mind taking a goalie.

Norris would be ok... high floor guy, pretty likely to become a 3C at the NHL level. Feels like a safe homegrown pick to me, like Abdelkader. Kind of similar to Larkin. I'm looking more for guys who contrast how Larkin plays. Guys who can slow the game down and set people up. So Norris... wouldn't hate it, wouldn't love it.

This is a draft to me that could have some gems from Euro or US HS guys, and I think it's a fairly deep goalie draft.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think drafting a winger, a position the Wings have historically drafted extremely well and already have young talent at, before the 6th round (in general, not specifically) is a massive, massive mistake. I'd rather reach on a slightly worse D or C 10 times out of 10.

In this specific case, there isn't a sport that exists where I'd draft a guy with questionable-to-bad work ethic.

While I generally share your sentiment, you just can't be that dogmatic in drafting. I agree that we should focus on centers and defensemen in the first two rounds, but it is so hard to simply find an NHLer after those two rounds that you can't afford to obsess about position. It is better to spend a fourth-round pick on a bottom-six, NHL winger than on an AHL center.

For the record I want nothing to do with the big Russian.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
All else being equal means just that. It doesn't mean that they are only considering forwards.

I don't consider any of the wingers in the #9 range to be better than the centers. So to me, that means they are more than likely looking at centers.

I've heard teams have Tippett ranked in the 12 to 25 range. I know you have heard we were looking at a winger, maybe I'm just hoping it's not true lol.

Also, I had no idea how to interpret this:
While defense also is a need, the best defensemen are on the small side and as the scout said to me, "We have the market cornered on small defensemen."

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
While I generally share your sentiment, you just can't be that dogmatic in drafting. I agree that we should focus on centers and defensemen in the first two rounds, but it is so hard to simply find an NHLer after those two rounds that you can't afford to obsess about position. It is better to spend a fourth-round pick on a bottom-six, NHL winger than on an AHL center.

For the record I want nothing to do with the big Russian.

Sure, and 6th round was probably a bit late, but I think the team really needs to spend as many picks as possible on the positions it drafts poorly. If Hakan, for instance, is really, really high on a guy, then fine. But I'd rather the team prioritize a guy who could be a career AHLer over a guy who's likely to be a 4th line winger.

I feel like the team is good enough at finding/developing those mid-to-bottom 6 wingers over time, that they can pretty safely chase the positions it tends to draft/develop poorly for a year or two.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
*Should have prefaced that by saying if Oettinger or Petruzzeli are left in round 2, I wouldn't mind taking a goalie.

Norris would be ok... high floor guy, pretty likely to become a 3C at the NHL level. Feels like a safe homegrown pick to me, like Abdelkader. Kind of similar to Larkin. I'm looking more for guys who contrast how Larkin plays. Guys who can slow the game down and set people up. So Norris... wouldn't hate it, wouldn't love it.

This is a draft to me that could have some gems from Euro or US HS guys, and I think it's a fairly deep goalie draft.

I agree, just not sure how available that type of player is in the 2nd round. Lipanov fits the bill and I would be happy to draft him. The organization hasn't been to willing to draft players out of Russia though which is disappointing.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't consider any of the wingers in the #9 range to be better than the centers. So to me, that means they are more than likely looking at centers.

I've heard teams have Tippett ranked in the 12 to 25 range. I know you have heard we were looking at a winger, maybe I'm just hoping it's not true lol.

Also, I had no idea how to interpret this:

I absolutely love Makar, but also understand if they are reluctant to take an undersized defensemen (which is him and Brannstrom if you really think about it, maybe Liljgren if you consider 6'0" undersized). I say this because there are a number of nice undersized defensemen in next year's draft and your defense is going to get small quick (as the saying goes) if you take undersized defensemen with good picks in three straight drafts.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I absolutely love Makar, but also understand if they are reluctant to take an undersized defensemen (which is him and Brannstrom if you really think about it, maybe Liljgren if you consider 6'0" undersized). I say this because there are a number of nice undersized defensemen in next year's draft and your defense is going to get small quick (as the saying goes) if you take undersized defensemen with good picks in three straight drafts.

I think there is 0 chance Makar is left when we pick, I saw yesterday that he received a vote for #1 prospect in the final rankings McKenzie is going to release next week. Which I'm ok with.

Next year there are some undesized guys who could be there in our range (Merkley, Boqvist), but then there are also some good sized guys as well (McIsaac, Wilde). Just better options in general next year, IMO. Plus those kids are 16, so someone could still grow by the end of next season.

I like Valimaki and Joseph in this draft, I think those are guys that could be big minute guys on your left side. There are a bunch of HS kids and Euro guys I am trying to learn more about. Kvasnicka is a really interesting option. Trying to get more info on Leivermann, Walsh, and some others. Also I really like Samorukov and his skillset.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010

I agree that it seemed a confident statement to the effect that a center or forward would be taken.

Wings4Life

Apr 11, 2007
Ov Steamrolls Jagr!
If Liljegren is still available at #9, we should pick him no questions asked. He's bigger and heavier than Brannstrom/Makar, is a tremendous skater and has all-world potential, unlike any other Dman in this draft.

Button has Liljegren at #10 on his final list, which I think is kind of low.

Liljegren is the only piece with franchise potential that will be around after the top 8 picks of this draft are taken. Next year (a better draft + we'll pick closer to #5 than #10) should be our year to draft a forward (Dahlin lottery miracle win aside).

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If Liljegren is still available at #9, we should pick him no questions asked. He's bigger and heavier than Brannstrom/Makar, is a tremendous skater and has all-world potential, unlike any other Dman in this draft.

Button has Liljegren at #10 on his final list, which I think is kind of low.

Liljegren is the only piece with franchise potential that will be around after the top 8 picks of this draft are taken. Next year (a better draft + we'll pick closer to #5 than #10) should be our year to draft a forward (Dahlin lottery miracle win aside).

I love Liljegren as much as pretty much anyone on here and would definitely be happy with the pick if that's how we go. Especially because it means he has the Hakan stamp of approval, and that's enough for me to bet he'll boom instead of bust. However he's had a pretty poor season and I really like some of the forwards who will be available when we pick (Necas seems like he's already penciled in on our depth chart. Plus any of Glass, Mittelstadt or Pettersson would be awesome.)

Furthermore I think we need to draft a D next year, Liljegren this year or not. Dahlin, Boqvist, McIsaac and Merkley all look better than really any of the forwards (Lil Svech aside). It looks like it'll be a somewhat weak draft for forwards and a very strong one for D and its not like Liljegren will be enough to fix this terrible D.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Dahlin, Boqvist, McIsaac and Merkley all look better than really any of the forwards (Lil Svech aside). It looks like it'll be a somewhat weak draft for forwards and a very strong one for D and its not like Liljegren will be enough to fix this terrible D.

Liljegren might be enough, if Hronek and Cholowski keep developing properly. If all 3 pan out, the Wings would just need to sign a middle pairing Dman once they feel set to contend, and the top 4 would be all set.

That said, if you have a chance to draft Dahlin, you take it.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
My draft board going into this thing basically looks like this:

Hischier
Patrick
Vilardi
Heiskanen
Glass
Makar
Petterson
Middlestadt