2017 NHL Draft Part III (June 23-24)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I dont care if we take a kid who will need to develop for 4 more years bc we wont be competitive for the next 4 years anyways...

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I dont care if we take a kid who will need to develop for 4 more years bc we wont be competitive for the next 4 years anyways...

while I agree on the contending part

has any kid taken in the top 10 gone on to have a successful and long(12 or more years) career in the NHL who also took 4 or more years post draft to even reach the league?

to me if your a top 10 pick and you arent ready to make an impact within 4 years of your draft, its probably because you simply arent very good in the first place or arent committed to the league and what it takes to make it there

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
while I agree on the contending part

has any kid taken in the top 10 gone on to have a successful and long(12 or more years) career in the NHL who also took 4 or more years post draft to even reach the league?

to me if your a top 10 pick and you arent ready to make an impact within 4 years of your draft, its probably because you simply arent very good in the first place or arent committed to the league and what it takes to make it there
Blake Wheeler was the very first player that came to mind. I'm sure there are others, but probably not many.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Think he's ranked about the same or actually lower than where he was 6 months ago.

At any rate, not what I am looking for at #9.

I thought he was in the low teens? My mistake, though I still hope it portends well for someone to reach for him and push someone else down to us.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Agreed. Even a super skinny kid like Pettersson should be able to put on enough muscle in 2-3 offseasons to at least get to a point where he's able to step into the NHL, even if it takes him longer to develop into his full potential.

Right now I'd say we're most likely to draft Necas. Seems like a very Red Wings type of pick. Still hope Pettersson falls to us though.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Agreed. Even a super skinny kid like Pettersson should be able to put on enough muscle in 2-3 offseasons to at least get to a point where he's able to step into the NHL, even if it takes him longer to develop into his full potential.

Right now I'd say we're most likely to draft Necas. Seems like a very Red Wings type of pick. Still hope Pettersson falls to us though.
I really want Pettersson, I just don't think it happens. Dropping 2 spots really blows

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I really want Pettersson, I just don't think it happens. Dropping 2 spots really blows

I'd love Petterson. I think he fits what our team needs on offense to a T. #1 center with great offensive upside, sick hands and exceptional IQ. Unfortunately I think either Vegas or Vancouver takes Petterson and the other takes Glass. I feel pretty confident that the first 6 players taken will be:
1&2: Hischier & Patrick
3&4: Vilatdi & Heiskanen
5&6: Petterson & Glass
Then some combination of Mittelstadt, Makar, Liljegren, Necas, Rasmussen, and Tippett will occupy 7, 8 and 9. I'm hoping for Necas, Mittelstadt or Liljegren and would be fine (but not particularly happy) with Makar. Necas I think is the most likely pick for us an would fill a very similar role to Petterson. He has exceptional skating but I don't think he's as smart (still very smart) nor has as good hands (still good) as Petterson.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I've been thinking about this a lot, and I really don't know why taking Nick Suzuki at #9 would be a bad move.

People like Petterson, with the thought process of if he gains strength/weight, he will be a beast. Well, if Suzuki improves his skating, I think he's Claude Giroux V2.

He is one of the youngest players in this draft, and he scored 45 goals in his draft year. He improves every year by leaps and bounds, and I think you have to love that type of trajectory. My only concern is that he will not be able to play center, that's really it. But not sure Petterson or Necas even stay at center either.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I've been thinking about this a lot, and I really don't know why taking Nick Suzuki at #9 would be a bad move.

People like Petterson, with the thought process of if he gains strength/weight, he will be a beast. Well, if Suzuki improves his skating, I think he's Claude Giroux V2.

He is one of the youngest players in this draft, and he scored 45 goals in his draft year. He improves every year by leaps and bounds, and I think you have to love that type of trajectory. My only concern is that he will not be able to play center, that's really it. But not sure Petterson or Necas even stay at center either.
I guess I just view the potential deficiency of needing more weight/strength as much easier to overcome than the potential deficiency of needing to improve skating (at least in a vacuum; I'm not nearly informed enough to hazard a guess whether Petterson as an individual stands a better chance of bulking up than Suzuki as an individual could improve his skating).

But I'd definitely take a chance on Suzuki before Rasmussen or Hague or Foote.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I'd love Petterson. I think he fits what our team needs on offense to a T. #1 center with great offensive upside, sick hands and exceptional IQ. Unfortunately I think either Vegas or Vancouver takes Petterson and the other takes Glass. I feel pretty confident that the first 6 players taken will be:
1&2: Hischier & Patrick
3&4: Vilatdi & Heiskanen
5&6: Petterson & Glass
Then some combination of Mittelstadt, Makar, Liljegren, Necas, Rasmussen, and Tippett will occupy 7, 8 and 9. I'm hoping for Necas, Mittelstadt or Liljegren and would be fine (but not particularly happy) with Makar. Necas I think is the most likely pick for us an would fill a very similar role to Petterson. He has exceptional skating but I don't think he's as smart (still very smart) nor has as good hands (still good) as Petterson.

I think Petterson is a very, very skilled and smart hockey player, but I simply do not trust him to make the physical gains necessary to play center at the NHL level. As someone with little interest in spending a first-round pick on a wing, I have little interest in spending our pick on Petterson and hope to god he is off of the board when we pick.

It is certainly ok for people to want something, but simply wanting something to happen does not make it more likely to occur. I may want to win the lottery tomorrow, but it does not increase the odds of it actually happening. People want Petterson to put on thirty pounds without adversely affecting his quickness and mobility. It is a far taller task than anyone is willing admit.

Unlike most others around here, I do not expect the first round to be nearly as formful as the rankings suggest.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I think Petterson is a very, very skilled and smart hockey player, but I simply do not trust him to make the physical gains necessary to play center at the NHL level. As someone with little interest in spending a first-round pick on a wing, I have little interest in spending our pick on Petterson and hope to god he is off of the board when we pick.

It is certainly ok for people to want something, but simply wanting something to happen does not make it more likely to occur. I may want to win the lottery tomorrow, but it does not increase the odds of it actually happening. People want Petterson to put on thirty pounds without adversely affecting his quickness and mobility. It is a far taller task than anyone is willing admit.

Unlike most others around here, I do not expect the first round to be nearly as formful as the rankings suggest.

Couldn't disagree more.
I went from 175LB to 205LB in my senior year of high school alone (without growing taller). And I was a slim kid at 6'3".
I wasn't even actively trying to put on weight or muscle either to compete in professional hockey.
If the kid still has a baby face I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he can already grow a beard in a week... I might be worried about his ability to mature and add weight.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Even if he struggles to put on weight I value hockey IQ higher than a lot of other attributes. Pettersson could have a Sedin-like development curve.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Here's an interesting question...

If you're the Wings, would you rather end up with a 1st line winger or a 2nd line center?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

If you're the Wings, would you rather end up with a 1st line winger or a 2nd line center?

Really depends on the quality. I probably wouldn't be able to turn down a 65 point winger in favor of a 45 point center. That winger would be the best offensive talent on the team

njx9

Feb 1, 2016

2nd line center, by far. Wingers don't win anything for a team with no one who can play C. Additionally, this team is chock full of wingers - taking one intentionally (as in your scenario) would by utterly idiotic. If you make it the choice between an elite winger and a middling 2C, that probably changes it, but a stock standard 1W gets this team absolutely nowhere and has absolutely no trade value.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I guess I just view the potential deficiency of needing more weight/strength as much easier to overcome than the potential deficiency of needing to improve skating (at least in a vacuum; I'm not nearly informed enough to hazard a guess whether Petterson as an individual stands a better chance of bulking up than Suzuki as an individual could improve his skating).

But I'd definitely take a chance on Suzuki before Rasmussen or Hague or Foote.

The amount of work Petterson needs in the strength dept is significantly more than what Suzuki needs in the skating dept.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The amount of work Petterson needs in the strength dept is significantly more than what Suzuki needs in the skating dept.

Well we're not going to be good anytime soon and I quite like the idea picking high in next year's loaded draft so I am fine with that. I don't have strong feelings on any of the guys outside of the top 3, just looking forward to next Friday. :yo:

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

2nd line center easily for me. We've got wingers and have shown we can acquire them relatively easily in the draft. Our only real center of the future is Larkin and there's a good chance he ends up better as a winger.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Really depends on the quality. I probably wouldn't be able to turn down a 65 point winger in favor of a 45 point center. That winger would be the best offensive talent on the team

Unfortunately, that's how I view it. Obviously we need a center more than a winger, and should only be taking a winger if we are damn sure they project better than the centers.

But to the people are saying they'd rather have a 65 pt winger over a 45 pt winger... I think if I gave you an actual example of each currently in the NHL, and asked who would you rather have, you would all pick the winger.

It's basically the difference between Phil Kessel and Jordan Staal. Raise your hand if you want Jordan Staal over Phil Kessel.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
It's basically the difference between Phil Kessel and Jordan Staal. Raise your hand if you want Jordan Staal over Phil Kessel.

Without a second thought. This team isn't EVER going anywhere if all it ever does is add more wingers.

I also call it a bit disingenuous to cast an 80+ point player in the same light as a 65 point player. One is elite, the other is absolutely not. Would you take JvR over Staal?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
2nd line center AINEC

Put another way would you have wanted Anthony Mantha or what Riley Sheahan did a couple years ago.

I get that centers have more value than wings, but an upper end 1W does more for you than a 2C. Give me the shot at an elite player and I backfill with a guy who fits my system elsewhere.

The Wings have a bunch of wingers, but how many truly have bona-fide star potential on the top line? They have Mantha. Most every other guy they have can play on a top line, but are optimally 2nd line guys. Tatar and Nyquist are more 1.5W guys.

And hell... right now on your team. Do you want Dylan Larkin or David Pastrnak?

That's a 2C vs a 1W comparison. I'd probably take Pasta over D-Boss.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Without a second thought. This team isn't EVER going anywhere if all it ever does is add more wingers.

I also call it a bit disingenuous to cast an 80+ point player in the same light as a 65 point player. One is elite, the other is absolutely not. Would you take JvR over Staal?

You get elite or star talent where you can get it. If the 1W has a chance at being a star and the 2C has no prayer (a la Sheahan in his draft year), you go with the wing. If it is remotely close in their ceilings, you go center.

There is a point at which need is subordinate to best available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad