2017 NHL Draft Part III (June 23-24)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
If Makar is there at 9 we have to take him, at this point I see him going in the 3-6 range.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
My hope hope s we don't waste the pick on acting a kid so unready for NHL type of hockey that he is four plus years away..

I don't know. I feel like we're so far away from contending status at this point that getting someone who's ready in 1 or 2 years is almost irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I'd rather get a potentially better player who takes longer to arrive than to get a player who's much closer but has a lower ceiling.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Just finished my part of a 2 round mock draft. I drafted Pettersson at 9 and Chytil at 38. I'd be thrilled if this is how the draft unfolded for the Wings

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
No one we draft at #9 should be 4 years away if they actually develop well.

That's all i want

With a top ten pick and our first in thirty years I hope we don't blow it with a long term project

A kid who will remain in college or Europe for another three years then needing at least a year in grand rapids

They can play where ever next season but after that, one in GR and then the NHL.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Last year it was done just like that. Hope Holland had learn from previous mistake
Well last year we made our first pick at #20, and even at #16 we're unlikely to have taken Chychrun but rather a 2-4 year project. #9 is different, there should be some guys available that are ready in 1-2 years. Personally I think we should draft based on potential and not so much how close to the NHL they are, but in the top 10 you can get a bit of both.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Wow, didn't even realize the draft was next Friday. That's so exciting.

Just finished my part of a 2 round mock draft. I drafted Pettersson at 9 and Chytil at 38. I'd be thrilled if this is how the draft unfolded for the Wings

That would be pretty sweet.

No one we draft at #9 should be 4 years away if they actually develop well.

I think Petterson would fall into that kind of time frame. But I'd be ok with that.

That's all i want

With a top ten pick and our first in thirty years I hope we don't blow it with a long term project

What if that long term project becomes a great player? Or we pass on the long term project who becomes a great player?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Wow, didn't even realize the draft was next Friday. That's so exciting.

That would be pretty sweet.

I think Petterson would fall into that kind of time frame. But I'd be ok with that.

What if that long term project becomes a great player? Or we pass on the long term project who becomes a great player?

I would say based on historical trends for players drafted in the 8-10 range, those who went on to meaningful long nhl careers made the show in under four years post draft whereas those who didn't were busts

I am comfortable with my thoughts/hopes for this draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would say based on historical trends for players drafted in the 8-10 range, those who went on to meaningful long nhl careers made the show in under four years post draft whereas those who didn't were busts

Only other players this light I can think of that went top 10 were Kane and Marner. Who were 160 something lbs at 5'11", not 6'2".

So this is kind of unprecedented. But there are going to be a lot of unprecedented things that happen in this draft.

Just understand if you pass on him for this, there is the potential for you to look really dumb in 5 years. That's probably why he is going to be off the board by the time we pick at #9.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Only other players this light I can think of that went top 10 were Kane and Marner. Who were 160 something lbs at 5'11", not 6'2".

So this is kind of unprecedented. But there are going to be a lot of unprecedented things that happen in this draft.

Just understand if you pass on him for this, there is the potential for you to look really dumb in 5 years. That's probably why he is going to be off the board by the time we pick at #9.

I am not gonna lie and say he isnt skilled and intriguing but nor will I not say that his slight frame and euro background (birth AND where he plays) dosent scare me for a team desperate for a young impact player sooner rather than later (2 full seasons post draft then NHL)

If he can do that(if that's the thinking) then alright sign me up..

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
If follow this as a guide, would hope for something like

#9- Glass/Necas
#38 - Joseph/Lipanov
#72 - Morand/Samorukov

It looks like Rasmussen has been gathering some momentum the past couple of months. I don't really like him for a high first round pick, but I'm hoping someone ahead of us reaches for on him and helps push someone else down to us.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

Honestly I'm not too worried about anyone having close to a 4+ years window without them just busting to begin with. No one projected to go in our range should take longer than 3 (with the reasonable expectation being 1 year wherever they already are, 1 year with the Griffins then the show).

Petterson is the guy who should take the longest and I'd say at the longest he's two years in Sweden, a year in the AHL, then he'll be in the NHL. And that'd be the uber-conservative Ken Holland timeframe. When he gets snatched up by Vegas I expect a year in Sweden, most of a season in the AHL before making the team for the last ten games of the season and sticking there after that. It won't take him more than 2 years to add 15-25 pounds.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
If we take Rasmussen at 9 I won't watch another Wings game through a legitimate source (only streams) or buy any merchandise until Holland is gone.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It looks like Rasmussen has been gathering some momentum the past couple of months. I don't really like him for a high first round pick, but I'm hoping someone ahead of us reaches for on him and helps push someone else down to us.

Think he's ranked about the same or actually lower than where he was 6 months ago.

At any rate, not what I am looking for at #9.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Honestly I'm not too worried about anyone having close to a 4+ years window without them just busting to begin with. No one projected to go in our range should take longer than 3 (with the reasonable expectation being 1 year wherever they already are, 1 year with the Griffins then the show).

Petterson is the guy who should take the longest and I'd say at the longest he's two years in Sweden, a year in the AHL, then he'll be in the NHL. And that'd be the uber-conservative Ken Holland timeframe. When he gets snatched up by Vegas I expect a year in Sweden, most of a season in the AHL before making the team for the last ten games of the season and sticking there after that. It won't take him more than 2 years to add 15-25 pounds.

If that's the expectation by the vast majority then sounds good

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If we take Rasmussen at 9 I won't watch another Wings game through a legitimate source (only streams) or buy any merchandise until Holland is gone.

Wow, that's intense lol. I wouldn't like the pick, but not sure it's even the pick I would hate most.

I think I'd be more unhappy if we were to take Vesalainen or Tolvanen. Although those options seem less likely.

HisNoodliness

Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Wow, that's intense lol. I wouldn't like the pick, but not sure it's even the pick I would hate most.

I think I'd be more unhappy if we were to take Vesalainen or Tolvanen. Although those options seem less likely.

Yeah it's perhaps a bit intense but it's not even as much that I would absolutely hate the pick as much as it would be the straw breaking my back. It would feel like another hard indication of committing to safe, mediocre play instead of trying to ever actualy compete.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I think you are being ambitious with that prediction.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I hope McKenzie is wrong, because if the top 8 ends up like that, the Wings aren't going to have much of that top tier to choose from. Hopefully Necas is still on the board. It'll be bad news if he's not.

Just to be clear these are not MacKenzie's personal rankings, He does not compile a list based on his own rankings/opinion.

From last years final rankings;
It is determined on the basis of a survey of 10 NHL scouts to get a consensus ranking. From our end, it's a highly objective exercise in numerically plotting the highly subjective views of the NHL scouts surveyed.

But yes, if those players go top 8 it would be a kick in the nuts.. I agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad