2017 NHL Draft Part III (June 23-24)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Question for you all normally a draft is considered to be successful if a team finds 1-2 players with 7 picks. With the Red Wings total # (off the top of my head its 10 or 11) of picks what do you feel say in like 5 years time to allow for development would you consider this upcoming draft to be successful?

I know this is usually the good measure of a successful draft, but I think with where we are we really need quality over quantity. We've never had an issue drafting players that make it to the NHL. We can draft bottom 6 forwards and bottom 4 defenseman all day.

I really want to draft a top 6 center in this draft, and I think with having a top 10 pick and 11 picks total we should be able to accomplish that.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I would say 3. 1st and 2nd round players should play in the NHL, with one from the 3 through 7 playing in the NHL also.

Cool, thanks for your response.

I know this is usually the good measure of a successful draft, but I think with where we are we really need quality over quantity. We've never had an issue drafting players that make it to the NHL. We can draft bottom 6 forwards and bottom 4 defenseman all day.

I really want to draft a top 6 center in this draft, and I think with having a top 10 pick and 11 picks total we should be able to accomplish that.

Do you feel its possible given their pick position (9), or is it more because of the teams needs (which I do not disagree with you either), or potentially maybe more so a middle ground that makes you come to this position? And as well also thank you for your opinion.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Don't think his skating is that bad for a 6'6" 18 year old. It's better than Stanley's last year. More concerned with how much potential he has as a puck mover. But his shot is very good, IMO.

Better than Stanley is a pretty low threshold. I will just agree to disagree with you on that one. I think his feet look bad. There are certain guys I hope are off the board when we pick just because I don't want the team to be tempted by them. He is one of these guys. The NHL isn't getting slower and the hit rate with the giant defensemen just doesn't seem worth the risk.

Re: Mittelstadt. I will be jumping out of my chair if he is around at 9. Sadly, I don't think the combine performance matters one bit to most scouts.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I would say 3. 1st and 2nd round players should play in the NHL, with one from the 3 through 7 playing in the NHL also.

Are we talking cup of tea or legit NHLers, and I think it depends on where you are drafting. If we are talking the bottom half of draft positions. I think 2 legit NHLers out of a draft is really successful. 3 is a great draft. You have to hit on at least 1.

If you are talking top end of the draft then I agree more. If you have a high end 2nd, then I think that player should be an NHLer at some point. Plus I think you have to get a top 3 dman, starter, or top 6 forward with 1st round pick. So 2 is a must, 3 is good, 4 is great.

Wings haven't had a great draft in awhile (unless Smith, Hronek, Sambrook, and Cholo hit for last year).

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tolvanen is 5'11.25, his skating is also well above average and he managed higher then a point per game in the USHL on NA ice.

Read up on him a little.

70.5 inches is 5'10.5".

Pronman on Tolvanen:
He's small and not incredibly quick for a player his size (though I think his skating is adequate), but he's smart enough to put himself in position to score and has a little physical edge to his game too.

He's a big pass for me.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Hey Wings fans. Over on HFOil we did our annual Mock Draft. I was the Redwings this year and thought I'd share my results with you guys. This was a no trades mock, so I just made the picks as they stand today.

Heres what I ended up with:

Detroit Red Wings 2017 Draft:
(9) - Jusso Välimäki - LD - Tri-City - WHL
(38) - Alexei Lipanov - C - Dynamo - VHL
(71) - Joni Ikonen - C/RW - Frolunda - SHL
(79) - Zach Gallant - C - Peterborough - OHL
(83) - Fabian Zetterlund - RW - Farjestad - SHL
(88) - Dylan Samberg - LD - Hermantown - US
(100) - Rickard Hugg - C/LW - Leksands IF - SEL
(131) - Leon Gawanke - RD - Cape Breton - QMJHL
(162) - Jacob Tortora - RW - USA U18 - USNDP
(164) - Daniel Bukac - RD - Brandon - WHL
(193) - Logan Cockerill - LW - USA U18 - USNDP

And heres a link to the mock so you can mock me for who I passed on:

HFOil Mock Draft 2017

I can answer any questions about my decisions if y'all want.

Thanks.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Hey Wings fans. Over on HFOil we did our annual Mock Draft. I was the Redwings this year and thought I'd share my results with you guys. This was a no trades mock, so I just made the picks as they stand today.

HFOil Mock Draft 2017

Thanks.

I really, really like your top four and think you did a good job understanding our needs as an organization. Valimaki and Lipanov would be a good haul for us in the first two rounds. I personally would have taken Ferraro or Samourukov over Samberg as I think both are more skilled with the puck. Also, I am not sure where, but I do think the Wings will take another goalie this year.

Good job though.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Question for you all normally a draft is considered to be successful if a team finds 1-2 players with 7 picks. With the Red Wings total # (off the top of my head its 10 or 11) of picks what do you feel say in like 5 years time to allow for development would you consider this upcoming draft to be successful?

Holland stated (I believe I read it) that we should be able to get a player that can be in the NHL in 2 years. If that happens and we have another 2-4 players ready to play in the AHL in 2 years, I would call that successful. Wings may take college players or flyers on Europeans that take longer or a number of boom-or-bust players (more often bust than boom) so to put a number of how many make the NHL determining success is difficult for me.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Holland stated (I believe I read it) that we should be able to get a player that can be in the NHL in 2 years. If that happens and we have another 2-4 players ready to play in the AHL in 2 years, I would call that successful. Wings may take college players or flyers on Europeans that take longer or a number of boom-or-bust players (more often bust than boom) so to put a number of how many make the NHL determining success is difficult for me.

Do you have a direct quote for this? I know that others have made the same claim but I haven't seen the quote.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
In terms of this process we do one of these for fun as Mods.

I wound up with Martin Necas and Pierre-Olivier Joseph as my first two round picks while representing us. I would be pretty happy if that happened and that is kind of how it broke out. But it is fun to do this with a group of people picking with interests on each of their teams and telling you about where they believe the team to be leaning and what their local beat writers are saying.

I passed on Liljegren and Tippett to make the Necas selection. That was a little harder to do than I thought it would be, but I believe the Wings are high on Necas and I like him quite a bit as a prospect. Pettersson was off the board who as most of you know was the guy I really wanted as were Makar and Glass. Also was ready to take Josh Norris in the second and he went off the board right in front of me so that was a bummer though I like the upside of Joseph. But I figured I would share. Again it is really fun to see a group do this. We could try to do something like the Oilers board has done if we get enough people interested to take a team or two and draft.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
In terms of this process we do one of these for fun as Mods.

I wound up with Martin Necas and Pierre-Olivier Joseph as my first two round picks while representing us. I would be pretty happy if that happened and that is kind of how it broke out. But it is fun to do this with a group of people picking with interests on each of their teams and telling you about where they believe the team to be leaning and what their local beat writers are saying.

I passed on Liljegren and Tippett to make the Necas selection. That was a little harder to do than I thought it would be, but I believe the Wings are high on Necas and I like him quite a bit as a prospect. Pettersson was off the board who as most of you know was the guy I really wanted as were Makar and Glass. Also was ready to take Josh Norris in the second and he went off the board right in front of me so that was a bummer though I like the upside of Joseph. But I figured I would share. Again it is really fun to see a group do this. We could try to do something like the Oilers board has done if we get enough people interested to take a team or two and draft.

Please let this happen in real life.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

HFOil Mock Draft 2017

Thanks.

Not a fan of passing on Pettersson and Necas for Valimaki. Why did you decide to go in that direction? Would be thrilled with Lipanov and Ikonen in the 2nd and 3rd. All around good 3rd round picks to me.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

HFOil Mock Draft 2017

Thanks.

Didn't like Valimaki at 9. Would have taken Necas instead.

The rest of the picks, I think you did very good getting players where you did.

Not a fan of all the players you picked, but good job.:handclap:

Overall, I'd give you a B+(Valimaki:()

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not a fan of passing on Pettersson and Necas for Valimaki. Why did you decide to go in that direction? Would be thrilled with Lipanov and Ikonen in the 2nd and 3rd. All around good 3rd round picks to me.

Didn't like Valimaki at 9. Would have taken Necas instead.

The rest of the picks, I think you did very good getting players where you did.

Not a fan of all the players you picked, but good job.:handclap:

Overall, I'd give you a B+(Valimaki:()

I don't think we would have to worry about the Wings passing on Pettersson or Necas in this scenario. But most of us get to hear where the Wings are leaning. I think those are really the guys along with Glass that they like a ton. We shall see though I guess.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I don't think we would have to worry about the Wings passing on Pettersson or Necas in this scenario. But most of us get to hear where the Wings are leaning. I think those are really the guys along with Glass that they like a ton. We shall see though I guess.

Glass
Mittelstadt
Necas
Petterson

Any of them would be fine with me.

I'm curious if there have been any leaks on who the Wings like, other than the Necas Denny's dinner.

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Thanks for the feedback guys. Had a feeling the Valimaki pick would be unpopular.

The names I was deciding between were Brannstrom, Yamamoto, Suzuki and Valimaki who I ultimately ended up taking. Pettersson and Necas scared me too much. I'm not sure I see what everyone else does with Pettersson and Necas is too much of a boom/bust type.

Valimaki is an absolute horse and a guarantee to be a solid NHL d-man. I have him 7 on my personal list. He does everything well. I was looking for a future partner for Hronek (who I think is one of the best prospects in hockey).

In the actual draft I think Detroit should target Glass and trade up for him if need be. I think he's the best player available and a perfect fit for your team and system.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Thanks for the feedback guys. Had a feeling the Valimaki pick would be unpopular.

The names I was deciding between were Brannstrom, Yamamoto, Suzuki and Valimaki who I ultimately ended up taking. Pettersson and Necas scared me too much. I'm not sure I see what everyone else does with Pettersson and Necas is too much of a boom/bust type.

Valimaki is an absolute horse and a guarantee to be a solid NHL d-man. I have him 7 on my personal list. He does everything well. I was looking for a future partner for Hronek (who I think is one of the best prospects in hockey).

In the actual draft I think Detroit should target Glass and trade up for him if need be. I think he's the best player available and a perfect fit for your team and system.

I personally would have gone with Necas, but Valimaki is reasonable. He needs to continue to work on his skating and gap control, but I agree that he is very smart and a great passer of the puck. He won't be up in the rush at the NHL level but he should generate some offense.

People around here (hfboards) have conditioned themselves into thinking that there is more of a consensus with this draft than likely exists, especially around nine or ten. This is a natural consequence of reading prospect ranking after prospect ranking. Anyways, Valimaki is more than reasonable at 9.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I like Valimaki quite a bit.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
So polarizing prospect talk now. What do you guys think of drafting Nikita Popugaev in the 2nd? 6'6 right shot winger that can skate, shoot, and pass. Heavily criticized for his effort and consistency. Big potential here though

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
So polarizing prospect talk now. What do you guys think of drafting Nikita Popugaev in the 2nd? 6'6 right shot winger that can skate, shoot, and pass. Heavily criticized for his effort and consistency. Big potential here though

Not for me. I like other options better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad