2017 NHL Draft Part III (June 23-24)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Glass could still be on the board at 6, hes a way more promising prospect than whoever goes 15.

I want one of
Hischier
Patrick
Vilardi
Heiskanen
Glass
Mittelstadt
Petterson
Makar
Necas

Then its a big drop in my eyes to who I would pick next. (Liljegrin/Valimaki)

Obviously just my opinion but I think theres a drop after 9.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
If everybody from that top group is gone except Liljegren, I think the Wings trade down. They probably see at least one of Valimaki/Brannstrom/Timmins/Foote on a similar level.

Why do you think the Wings have one of them in the same tier as Liljegren?

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
If the Wings draft Necas at #9, how much better/similar will he be compared to Larkin? How about Petterson? Just seems redundant to have two 2C's unless we get Dahlin next season. Otherwise it seems we'd be better off getting a defenseman this year and pursuing Svechnikov next draft as our top center ....though the Wings probably won't be that bad next season right?

It'd be awesome if Necas becomes our elite franchise center if we do pick him at 9OA. Just want the Wings to get one of Dahlin/Svechnikov next draft.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
I dont think Petersson is on the board at 9, I think LV takes him.

But nonetheless he and Necas has serious home run potential.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
If the Wings draft Necas at #9, how much better/similar will he be compared to Larkin? How about Petterson? Just seems redundant to have two 2C's unless we get Dahlin next season. Otherwise it seems we'd be better off getting a defenseman this year and pursuing Svechnikov next draft as our top center ....though the Wings probably won't be that bad next season right?

It'd be awesome if Necas becomes our elite franchise center if we do pick him at 9OA. Just want the Wings to get one of Dahlin/Svechnikov next draft.

Svech is a wing. Dahlin isn't the only good defensemen in the 2018 draft.

I find Necas to be a bit more skilled with the puck than Larkin. Both are great skaters though.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Svech is a wing. Dahlin isn't the only good defensemen in the 2018 draft.

I find Necas to be a bit more skilled with the puck than Larkin. Both are great skaters though.

Agree. Necas has better vision and playmaking, and is quite adept at slowing the play and making the right decision.

Whilst not as powerful a skater as Larkin, he can vary his speed to greater effect and is more evasive.

Larkin has a better shot.

Both are different enough to add a nice dimension to the centre-line of this team.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Necas and Larkin are kind of similar, but at least based on their draft seasons Necas is more finesse and thinks & executes better with the puck. Larkin was a faster skater but basically had only one gear which hurt his creativity with the puck. I like Necas more in their respective draft years.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I am sick of waiting. Sick of reading and watching clips of prospects. I just want to see the draft shake out already so I can read and watch clips of more specific prospects. Mostly I just want to drink draught beer and watch the thing already.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
I am sick of waiting. Sick of reading and watching clips of prospects. I just want to see the draft shake out already so I can read and watch clips of more specific prospects. Mostly I just want to drink draught beer and watch the thing already.

Me too. I have my final list ready and I made sure to bid off work.

The top 4 players should all be drafted without much surprise. The rest will be all over the place.

Can't wait

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Agree. Necas has better vision and playmaking, and is quite adept at slowing the play and making the right decision.

Whilst not as powerful a skater as Larkin, he can vary his speed to greater effect and is more evasive.

Larkin has a better shot.

Both are different enough to add a nice dimension to the centre-line of this team.

I wouldn't say that Larkin had a better shot than Necas at the time of the draft. Larkin's shot improved a ton between the time he was drafted and when he made the NHL. His shot was inaccurate and inconsistent. He would flub a lot of shots. He made a lot of gains on it from when he started at Michigan to when he entered the NHL.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I dont think Petersson is on the board at 9, I think LV takes him.

But nonetheless he and Necas has serious home run potential.

I agree. If Vancouver passes on Pettersson, then I think Vegas scoops him up.
Seems like the perfect prospect for Vegas.

Either way I don't have much hope of landing him anymore.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
If it were up to me I would draft ALL Defensemen in the first 3 rds. Today's NHL you could get a boatload of return for a top 4 D and hopefully 1-2 of the draft picks would be a top 4 D.

Round 1 take Timothy Liljegren or Callan Foote (as painful as that is for me to say)

Last edited:

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I agree. If Vancouver passes on Pettersson, then I think Vegas scoops him up.
Seems like the perfect prospect for Vegas.

Either way I don't have much hope of landing him anymore.

Really? From games 56 to 82 he seemed like a real concellaction prize that I didn't even want. Who's your second option?

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I think on draft day it won't really matter for us what order guys get taken in, but we should be praying for Tippett or some other outsider to make their way into that top 8. Otherwise, I really, really don't like the odds of drafting 9th in a tier of 10 players. The Wings are too picky for that, and they'll probably trade the pick. Especially if Pettersson, Necas, Vilardi, and Glass are gone. Of course, if those guys are gone, who would want to trade for that pick?

And IMO the Wings will not pay full price for Liljegren. If they take him, it'll be after they've traded down to the teens. It's just really unlike them to gamble that way, especially on a player who's being criticized for his hockey sense.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think on draft day it won't really matter for us what order guys get taken in, but we should be praying for Tippett or some other outsider to make their way into that top 8. Otherwise, I really, really don't like the odds of drafting 9th in a tier of 10 players. The Wings are too picky for that, and they'll probably trade the pick. Especially if Pettersson, Necas, Vilardi, and Glass are gone. Of course, if those guys are gone, who would want to trade for that pick?

And IMO the Wings will not pay full price for Liljegren. If they take him, it'll be after they've traded down to the teens. It's just really unlike them to gamble that way, especially on a player who's being criticized for his hockey sense.

There are plenty of teams that want goal scoring wingers if Tippett is what is looking at us. Especially because you can be pretty certain Florida would be really happy if he fell to them at 10.

I get that we don't want a winger. But people around here need to layoff how bad a player Tippett actually is. He is the best goal scorer in this draft drawing comparisons to Kessel.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I could see glass, necas and pettersson all being gone. Leaving us makar, tippett, liljegren aka the risky guys. And then we draft Andersson

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I could see glass, necas and pettersson all being gone. Leaving us makar, tippett, liljegren aka the risky guys. And then we draft Andersson

Yeah, I'm prepared to be disappointed. Haven't posted much because I know no one wants to hear that over and over again. Hope I'm wrong and will gladly sing Holland's praises if he shows any capacity to upgrade this roster. I just have this sinking feeling we're gonna get another project where they convince themselves they're smarter than everyone else. :help:

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Wish we could get with the draft already. Feels like forever since the season ended.

Right. Ive changed my mind a lot but I'm sticking with necas. I was rewatching his videos because he kind of has that Larkin style to him, meaning he's always flying out there but necas has great vision. So I was seeing if his passes looked pre determined as in, he was going to make that pass no matter what but that doesn't look like the case at all. He just has amazing vision and instincts, and does it all at high speeds.
So he's my guy. Over glass, makar, and pettersson

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
If it were up to me I would draft ALL Defensemen in the first 3 rds. Today's NHL you could get a boatload of return for a top 4 D and hopefully 1-2 of the draft picks would be a top 4 D.

Round 1 take Timothy Liljegren or Callan Foote (as painful as that is for me to say)

I'd call up Jim Nill and find out what it would cost to get the #3 pick. At least you'll likely get a really solid player who can contribute sooner rather than later. I'd like Heiskanen but I'm fine with a center. Just don't play it conservative and miss out yet again and then whine about how things just didn't go your way yet again.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
I'd call up Jim Nill and find out what it would cost to get the #3 pick. At least you'll likely get a really solid player who can contribute sooner rather than later. I'd like Heiskanen but I'm fine with a center. Just don't play it conservative and miss out yet again and then whine about how things just didn't go your way yet again.

I know it is a little short sighted but I dont care who it is we need a D in rd 1. We are so terrible on defense with no real stud in line in the future we need to just stack that position. You can find forwards and centers later or if you get stacked on D you can trade for a boatload of C, and F.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I know it is a little short sighted but I dont care who it is we need a D in rd 1. We are so terrible on defense with no real stud in line in the future we need to just stack that position. You can find forwards and centers later or if you get stacked on D you can trade for a boatload of C, and F.

I think that's a terrible strategy for our draft position and the players in this draft.

WingNut

Jun 21, 2016
I think that's a terrible strategy for our draft position and the players in this draft.

There would be a few exceptions but if you get deep at the D position you can really make out in trades. FACT is that we are a team full of 5-6 defensmen including our 6.5 mil man DD.

Look at NSH....Their D is stacked and they could afford to trade Seth Jones for Johanson.

The only possible other position to take in rd 1 is C IMO. I believe you can find a forward later and they are a dime a dozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad