Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Just saw Brodeur post on the prospect forum that Swedish defenceman Sebastian Aho is still draft eligible. I would take a chance on him with our later 3rd round pick. Would do wonders for the left side of our D core to add Rykov, Aho and Bayreuther as prospects in a one year span.

And this Heponiemi kid playing for Swift Current seems to be a faller due to his size. I would also take a flier on him if he's available in that range. Adding him and Kelleher would be tremendous for our skill forward prospects pool.

If he's half as good as the other Aho then he'd be worth it.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Coyotes win.

Devils - 68GP/25W/62Pts
Coyotes- 68GP/25W/58Pts

Getting #2 would be a much better spot since Vegas is in the #3 spot pre lottery.

Edit: Just realized Vegas and #4 spot have same odds. Not huge difference between them and #2.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Getting #2 would be a much better spot since Vegas is in the #3 spot pre lottery.

Edit: Just realized Vegas and #4 spot have same odds. Not huge difference between them and #2.

It's going to be a huge difference when teams from further back win the lottery.

If Devils finish #2, the lowest they can draft is #5. They finish #4 the lowest they can draft is #7.

I'm assuming Vegas gets the #3 slot.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ

The big difference is the furthest you could drop with the 2nd spot is 5th vs 7th with the 4th spot.

With the low level of top line talent...that's huge.

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
It's going to be a huge difference when teams from further back win the lottery.

If Devils finish #2, the lowest they can draft is #5. They finish #4 the lowest they can draft is #7.

beat me to it...and chances of dropping 3 slots are slim. so having that 2 slot is a huge advantage vs the 4th.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

I think you make a great point. At 5 we get one of Necas, Middlestadt-spelling, Codly Glass or Tippett. I do prefer Necas at 4 or 5, who's a dynamic player.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think you make a great point. At 5 we get one of Necas, Middlestadt-spelling, Codly Glass or Tippett. I do prefer Necas at 4 or 5, who's a dynamic player.

Add Vilardi into that mix, and at least one of those guys will be there at 7.

Winning the 1st or 2nd pick is really where the action is.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I believe if we finish 2nd worst, the worst we can pick is 5th. If we finish 3rd worst, the worst we can pick is 7th (due to the Vegas factor)

so Arizona passing us is big

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Add Vilardi into that mix, and at least one of those guys will be there at 7.

Winning the 1st or 2nd pick is really where the action is.

In all honesty, if we can get to #2, it just about solidifies us for a top four spot, five if we're very unlucky.

Where we're at now, we need the luck of getting better assets whatever way we can. If we can manage to come out of the draft with either Hischier or Patrick I would be ecstatic.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I believe if we finish 2nd worst, the worst we can pick is 5th. If we finish 3rd worst, the worst we can pick is 7th (due to the Vegas factor)

so Arizona passing us is big

ya, this was mentioned above.

But as Brooklyn kind of pointed out, is there that big a difference in prospects from 3-7? Sure the higher up you are, the more guys you will have to choose from, but it seems like there is Patrick and Nico, then a pool of players who could go almost anywhere through 10.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto

Yes you are right. Finishing at the #2 spot would be good and guarantee us a top 5 pick.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
ya, this was mentioned above.

But as Brooklyn kind of pointed out, is there that big a difference in prospects from 3-7? Sure the higher up you are, the more guys you will have to choose from, but it seems like there is Patrick and Nico, then a pool of players who could go almost anywhere through 10.

Still, I'm sure Castron has his own board and preference as to whom he'd like to pick. I'd much rather be in a position of control rather than have to wait and see who falls to the Devils. It's also better from a trading perspective, whether a deal presents itself to trade for a player or the Devils want to trade back and still get who they want.

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
The Yotes passing us will be huge. Patrick, Hischier or Vilardi give me one and I'll be happy. Liljegren is still a nice consolation prize though.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
What is the combined percentage that the worst two team have at winning the lottery? Curious in case we end up second and what our chances of getting Patrick and Hischier if we finish bottom 2.

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
For me I think the drop offs are...

Patrick
Hischier

Vilardi
Middlestadt

Tippett
Lilejgren
Petterson

Necas
Hieskanen