Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
He's not the best skater and not the worse. He's only 17, they can work on his skating. JT was once known to be a poor skater and he worked on it and became pretty impressive.

Exactly. Vilardi can definitely improve his skating, and you have to remember that he's literally one of the youngest players in this draft class. The more I watch the more clear it becomes that it should really be Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi as 1-2-3. Theres a talent gap between each of them, but then there's another drop off between guys who will go 4-10. If we end up picking 5th or 6th I would definitely look into trading up into the top 3 if possible.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Totally forgot we have Colorado's 3rd because of the Gelinas trade. That could very well end up being the first pick in the 3rd round...Yikes that was a bad deal for them

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
i think we can overtake ARI. i say we continue our skid to 13 losses in a row. i want that #2

I don't think people realize how brutal we'd have to be to take over #2. :laugh:

Not that I'd be against it, but that's expansion level terribleness for the rest of the season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think people realize how brutal we'd have to be to take over #2. :laugh:

Not that I'd be against it, but that's expansion level terribleness for the rest of the season.

Just imagine the uproar if we did bottom out to finish second, then Arizona wins the lottery from the 3/4 slot :P

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Looking at the next 14 games on the schedule it's very possible. Plus, if we end with the same number of points but the Coyotes have more wins, the tiebreaker puts us #2. The Devils currently have only one more win than AZ with one game inhand.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Arizona would have to uncharacteristicly won and we legit can't win anymore games.

Odds are against that happening despite how bad we are.

why is it so impossible? don't they just have to win 3 more games? i mean theoretically we could drop the next 3, they could win their next 3, and then we just stay par for the course for the rest of the season

edit: i see zippys post below. but still, if we throw a youth movement now, and suck hardcore, or ARI pulls a youth movement as well, and see an explosion of winning (both being possible considering the difference in supposed level of skill between our teams' prospects), i think those averaged numbers aren't necessarily accurate. i mean our sample size is only 68 games, and 14 games isn't really a small sample size.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Looking at the next 14 games on the schedule it's very possible. Plus, if we end with the same number of points but the Coyotes have more wins, the tiebreaker puts us #2. The Devils currently have only one more win than AZ with one game inhand.

Devils would need the Coyotes to win 3 more games than they do.

If the Coyotes keep up their current pace of .84 points per game, then they'd get an addition 12.6 points for the rest of the year. Let's round that out to 12 points which would give the Coyotes 68 points.

That means the Devils would have to get 6 points or less in the remaining 14 games. That means they'd have to go 3 - 11 - 0 or 2 - 9 - 2 or 1 - 7 - 4 or any worse combination.

That's a horrendous record to go on top of the Devils already unlucky 10 game winless streak.

why is it so impossible? don't they just have to win 3 more games? i mean theoretically we could drop the next 3, they could win their next 3, and then we just stay par for the course for the rest of the season

Arizona winning "just three more games" has little chance of happening though. It's not like the Capitals or Rangers winning "just three more games"

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

edit: i see zippys post below. but still, if we throw a youth movement now, and suck hardcore, or ARI pulls a youth movement as well, and see an explosion of winning (both being possible considering the difference in supposed level of skill between our teams' prospects), i think those averaged numbers aren't necessarily accurate. i mean our sample size is only 68 games, and 14 games isn't really a small sample size.

Coyotes play the Avalanche tonight at home. A win puts them 4 points back of NJD with both teams even in games played and wins.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Who should we be looking at 2nd round. A lot of the talk is about our 1st round pick, but I haven't really been hearing much about the 2nd round. We should probably be looking at 2 defenders, maybe Robin Salo.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
4 points back is a lot. Sportsclubstats has the Devils as 9% to finish 29th.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Who should we be looking at 2nd round. A lot of the talk is about our 1st round pick, but I haven't really been hearing much about the 2nd round. We should probably be looking at 2 defenders, maybe Robin Salo.

Depending where Brannstrom falls I would love to get him. I think he's possibly the steal of the draft if he makes it past 30.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Well, I'm hoping to see Kole Lind fall to our hands. A smart and all-around solid RW with 81 points in 67 games and a good one-timer. I've seen him ranked as a first rounder too so who knows. Fills a need but would also be a good pick skill wise.

Other choices for me personally would revolve around guys like Robin Salo, Stelio Mattheos and Adam Ruzicka. Vaakanainen has also been falling all season long so maybe we get a chance, although I've never been that high on him. For the third round, Aleksi Heponiemi who I believe leads the WHL in rookie scoring with 81 points in 68 games would be a solid risky pick. A small center (as in 5'9", 150lbs small) with a great offensive IQ. Then there are guys who I have just stat watched like Maxim Fortier, Adam Thilander, Cale Fleury, Jake Leschyshyn... I dunno. Maybe some of them, not that familiar with their games though.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Why are some scared off by Tippett? We need more RWs and have heard nothing but praise about his game, specifically about his scoring ability. Sign me up for that.

It'll obviously depend on who is available and where we draft, but I'd have no ragrets about taking him. Not even a single letter. Not to mention the potential familiarity with McLeod and/or Bastian.

EDIT: I didn't even realize this was discussed on the last page. :laugh: I'm with Sascha Goc!

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Devils would need the Coyotes to win 3 more games than they do.

If the Coyotes keep up their current pace of .84 points per game, then they'd get an addition 12.6 points for the rest of the year. Let's round that out to 12 points which would give the Coyotes 68 points.

That means the Devils would have to get 6 points or less in the remaining 14 games. That means they'd have to go 3 - 11 - 0 or 2 - 9 - 2 or 1 - 7 - 4 or any worse combination.

That's a horrendous record to go on top of the Devils already unlucky 10 game winless streak.

:laugh:

Unlucky? The roster is AWFUL right now and objectively looks like the worst lineup on paper in the entire league. Your statement is reflective of how brainwashed some of this board is. There is no such thing as an UNLUCKY 10 game winless streak. TEN GAMES

They could easily only get 6 more points. What don't people get? They are going to be running into teams that have all in the world to play for still while they have literally nothing.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
:laugh:

Unlucky? The roster is AWFUL right now and objectively looks like the worst lineup on paper in the entire league. Your statement is reflective of how brainwashed some of this board is. There is no such thing as an UNLUCKY 10 game winless streak. TEN GAMES

They could easily only get 6 more points. What don't people get? They are going to be running into teams that have all in the world to play for still while they have literally nothing.

Devils are awful, but they'd have to be even more awful than an already awful Coyotes team. You get too bent out of shape over the whole unlucky thing.

Losing 10 games in a row (without getting a single loser point) is unlucky no matter how you slice it. Devils could've easily pulled out a win at some point in one of those games or even pulled a couple more into OT. It's unlucky they're only going to win 3 games (or get 6 points) for the rest of the year. It would mean the Devils would go 3 - 22 - 2 (or some combination like that) in the last 27 games. Even MacLean's Devils weren't that pathetically bad. We were 10 - 32 - ? at one point that season.

We're also due to have Cammalleri and JJ back which will at least help to make the Devils have a semi-competent offense. We're not going to be running with this Coleman - Rooney - Pietila fourth line for the rest of the season.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
To be fair if we're talking about motivation for other teams, we still play the Jets, Carolina, Detroit and Dallas in their last 14 games who are clearly out of it, two games with the Flyers in the last week when they'll almost certainly be out of it, and a bunch of other division games where they're playing for no more than seeding (Isles aside). As we've seen in our good years that can be an iffy motivator down the stretch.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Yeah, people are talking about making it down to second?

I'm just waiting for the useless 4 game win streak to close the season that takes us out of the top 5.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
Devils are awful, but they'd have to be even more awful than an already awful Coyotes team. You get too bent out of shape over the whole unlucky thing.

Losing 10 games in a row in an NHL league is unlucky no matter how you slice it. Devils could've easily pulled out a win at some point in one of those games. It's unlucky they're only going to win 3 games for the rest of the year. It would mean the Devils would go 3 - 24 - 0 (or some combination like that) in the last 27 games. Even MacLean's Devils weren't that pathetically bad. We were 10 - 32 - ? at one point that season.

We're also due to have Cammalleri and JJ back which will at least help to make the Devils have a semi-competent offense. We're not going to be running with this Coleman - Rooney - Pietila fourth line for the rest of the season.

I would not be one bit surprised if they don't hurry either of Camm and Josefson back. Especially Camm.

I tell you guys this every year. Things get much worse mid-February onward because 70% of the league has a lot more to play for than the Devs do. I'd even argue a higher % since several other bad teams have more good young talent with more motivation to play their butts off. Yet everyone seems to be shocked a mystified when this happens. Nevermind the fact that bad teams generally sell at the deadline and potential contenders get even stronger.

Last year Devs point % pre Feb: 55%
Feb onward: 45%, with a schedule where 9 of the 32 games were against bottom 5 NHL teams I think.

You are also looking at the data as if the 10 game stretch must be combined with the remaining games. Lol no. They are irrelevant at this point. The real question is can they go some variation of 3-11 the rest of the way. That is very plausible. Anddd here's the remaining schedule:

Jets
Flyers
Pens - L
Jackets - L
Rangers - L
Leafs - L
Canes
Stars
Isles - L
Flyers
Flyers
Pens -L
Isles - L
Wings (what an interesting game this will be, seriously)

Edit add: It's also somewhat hilarious to refer to the 10 game streak as "unlucky", when for part of it (and X amount of preceding games) the Devs PP has hitting at over 40%....
Double edit: data pulled incorrectly so I updated the numbers. Whoops. Shoulda noticed that

Last edited:

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

I'll be happy if we select with all our picks but I wouldn't doubt one of these 2nds at least is moved in a draft day deal.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
I would not be one bit surprised if they don't hurry either of Camm and Josefson back. Especially Camm.

I tell you guys this every year. Things get much worse mid-February onward because 70% of the league has a lot more to play for than the Devs do. I'd even argue a higher % since several other bad teams have more good young talent with more motivation to play their butts off. Yet everyone seems to be shocked a mystified when this happens. Nevermind the fact that bad teams generally sell at the deadline and potential contenders get even stronger.

Last year Devs point % pre Feb: 1.1
Feb onward: 0.9, with a schedule where 9 of the 32 games were against bottom 5 NHL teams I think.

You are also looking at the data as if the 10 game stretch must be combined with the remaining games. Lol no. They are irrelevant at this point. The real question is can they go some variation of 3-11 the rest of the way. That is very plausible. Anddd here's the remaining schedule:

Jets
Flyers
Pens - L
Jackets - L
Rangers - L
Leafs - L
Canes
Stars
Isles - L
Flyers
Flyers
Pens -L
Isles - L
Wings (what an interesting game this will be, seriously)

Edit add: It's also somewhat hilarious to refer to the 10 game streak as "unlucky", when for part of it (and X amount of preceding games) the Devs PP has hitting at over 40%....

We play the Flyers tough, I just doubt we beat them 3 times. Other than that I can see us winning a total 3 games the rest of the way. Dallas knows how to score and Cory is just brutal right now. We'll probably beat one of the Jets or Canes and take two from the Flyers for our 3 wins.

Edmonton East

Nov 25, 2007
We play the Flyers tough, I just doubt we beat them 3 times. Other than that I can see us winning a total 3 games the rest of the way. Dallas knows how to score and Cory is just brutal right now. We'll probably beat one of the Jets or Canes and take two from the Flyers for our 3 wins.

Ironically I was going to say that in my post: Saving grace might be the Flyers 3 times where they might get 3/6 points.

For the record, I don't think it is likely the Yotes catch the Devs, but I do disagree with people talking as if it has a minuscule chance of occurring. Last week I gave the Yotes a 10% chance of catching the Devs in a post on this board. Now I'm thinking 20-25%. Arbitrarily.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Ironically I was going to say that in my post: Saving grace might be the Flyers 3 times where they might get 3/6 points.

For the record, I don't think it is likely the Yotes catch the Devs, but I do disagree with people talking as if it has a minuscule chance of occurring. Last week I gave the Yotes a 10% chance of catching the Devs in a post on this board. Now I'm thinking 20-25%. Arbitrarily.

It's definitely possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad