2017 Draft & UDFA Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I wouldn't get hung up on whether it's a "good" draft or a "bad" draft since the reality is no one will know until years after the fact. That awful 1999 draft was supposed to be loaded with studs and it didn't work out. This draft could end up being strong. You don't know.

Last edited:

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Nolan Patrick is a clear top talent IMO. This draft's biggest issue is that it's following after two potentially generational players just got drafted 1OA in McDavid and Matthews. Those two are gonna be the next big NHL rivalry

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
This draft isn't the worst since 99 imo, the issue is that there is no clear cut 'top' of the draft, the depth is fine, good even. Around our pick this draft looks good imo, very good even.

Agree with this completely. The top high-end talent is missing. Maybe also lacking high production at their current level but there are some interesting players coming out.

I think they really need to find a second in a deal somewhere.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Brännström will lead the Rangers to glory and smite the unbelievers.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I hope you guys are ready to be disappointed when he isn't Rangers property after the draft.

And that isn't me saying I don't want him (I do), I just don't think he's what they're looking to add with their first first rounder since 2012. Kids like Reedy and Bowers just scream Rangers picks to me. Maybe Thomas too

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I hope you guys are ready to be disappointed when he isn't Rangers property after the draft.

And that isn't me saying I don't want him (I do), I just don't think he's what they're looking to add with their first first rounder since 2012. Kids like Reedy and Bowers just scream Rangers picks to me. Maybe Thomas too

You might be right, it's hard to know though since we have clearly (imo) changed our draft approach in the last few years but we haven't had a 1st rounder :P

I'm starting to like Thomas more and more though, i'd be fine with him with our 1st. Very smart player, reminds me a little bit of Stepan.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is my top five of who I want to draft that could be in our draft range.

1. Brannstrom
2. Lipanov
3. Suzuki
4. Thomas
5. Boqvist

I also wouldn't mind players like Mitchell, Jokiharju, Elvenes.

If we draft Jesper Boqvist though, we gotta trade up to have a high enough pick to draft his younger brother Adam next year. I have a feeling he's gonna be a big favorite around here, if we still have a first round pick.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
My assumption is the team will be picking around the 23-26 range.

Some guys that fall in that range that I would okay with them taking:
Timmins
Brännström
Yamamoto
Bowers

The teams biggest need is RHD, but I also think they have a need for top end forward prospects. They really have no one outside of Buch (who really isn't a prospect). Gropp is probably their top forward prospect, and maybe Nieves. Pretty awful depth.

Obviously they're going to make some trades before the draft. I'd like to see them grab a second round pick. If they take a guy like Bowers with their first, I would love to see them take a guy like Salo or Jokiharju in the second or third (if they're still available).

Some mocks I've seen have Bowers dropping into the first couples picks of the second. If they pick Timmins/Brännström with their first, and can get a high second and take Bowers, I'd be extremely happy

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Anybody they draft in the mid 20's has a 2-4 year time frame before you really even know what you have.

Not true. There are plenty of cases of players not even getting drafted and having better careers than players that have been selected. Some could be late bloomers, too, for examples JAM, Girardi, Bozak, Giordano, Kunitz, Gorges and recently Yanni Gourde.

Putting a window is pointless. Consistency is the key to a players success. Whether by putting up points or shutting down the opposition, consistency needs to be a constant cog in a players' skill set.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

I agree with this. In the end, we all are going to have to abide to whoever the Rangers select with any of their picks, let alone their 1st rounder. As much as I would love to have Brannstrom & Co., NYR has their own scouting and personnel that has tabs out on certain players. I doubt in my mind, though, that Brannstrom is not not on their list. He should really be considered a top 15 pick.

Reedy is a reach in the 1st. Bowers not so much, however, I do think he is overhyped a little bit. The way he accelerates irks me to no end. It is taught in basic hockey skating camps that the best way to start up one's stride is by nearly walking on your toes into a fluid stride. He doesn't do that. He just chomps his feet down before ultimately getting into a stride. I feel if he could get a good skating coach throughout the offseason(s), watch out. He already has a good stride, but he can be so much more fast than he really is at the moment.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
My assumption is the team will be picking around the 23-26 range.

Some guys that fall in that range that I would okay with them taking:
Timmins
Brännström
Yamamoto
Bowers

The teams biggest need is RHD, but I also think they have a need for top end forward prospects. They really have no one outside of Buch (who really isn't a prospect). Gropp is probably their top forward prospect, and maybe Nieves. Pretty awful depth.

Obviously they're going to make some trades before the draft. I'd like to see them grab a second round pick. If they take a guy like Bowers with their first, I would love to see them take a guy like Salo or Jokiharju in the second or third (if they're still available).

Some mocks I've seen have Bowers dropping into the first couples picks of the second. If they pick Timmins/Brännström with their first, and can get a high second and take Bowers, I'd be extremely happy

If NYR can find a way to draft Salo in the 2nd round or beyond, I'd jump for joy!!

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

I've said elsewhere I believe Bowers will be the pick. He screams prototypical Ranger draft choice.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Yeah I fully expect the team to go with the "safe guy with tools" in the first unless they can add another pick or two in the top-60. Worked out well with Skjei though.

I agree with Joey that Reedy might be a bit of a reach in the 1st, but he's definitely the sort of player I'd expect them to take. That being said, the dearth of defensive prospects in the system might make them go for a D. So much discrepancy in the rankings amongst scouts that I expect a lot of head scratchers in the first round.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Yeah I fully expect the team to go with the "safe guy with tools" in the first unless they can add another pick or two in the top-60. Worked out well with Skjei though.

I agree with Joey that Reedy might be a bit of a reach in the 1st, but he's definitely the sort of player I'd expect them to take. That being said, the dearth of defensive prospects in the system might make them go for a D. So much discrepancy in the rankings amongst scouts that I expect a lot of head scratchers in the first round.

Agreed, but highly agree with the bolded.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Are they really comparable? I thought Lind was more of a sniper?

He is. I'm comparing them style-wise. Both are slender guys that spark their line's offense. I find that Lind is a better grinder than that of Morrison, but Morrison has more finesse. Lind has a better eye for the net, too.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
He is. I'm comparing them style-wise. Both are slender guys that spark their line's offense. I find that Lind is a better grinder than that of Morrison, but Morrison has more finesse. Lind has a better eye for the net, too.

Ah, gotcha, thanks!

What do you think of Joshua Norris? He's another kid that seems like he'd be a Rangers pick to me if he keeps shooting up the rankings

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Ah, gotcha, thanks!

What do you think of Joshua Norris? He's another kid that seems like he'd be a Rangers pick to me if he keeps shooting up the rankings

Playmaking center that is a visionary. Threads the needle when he passes it. Hell of a shot, too. Wins faceoffs and is not afraid to go a dig for the puck. Some knocks I have on Norris is that he doesn't use enough physicality to his game (although he's listed at 6'1"/192lbs.) and even though he has foresight in the offensive zone, it's not there yet in the defensive and neutral zones. Is at PPG in U18's and USNTDP. Not that speedy, but he's effective.

He deserves the recognition and I think he deserves to be a 1st rounder. I find that he and Cody Glass are a bit similar, however, I feel that Glass is better suited for the NHL.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree with this. In the end, we all are going to have to abide to whoever the Rangers select with any of their picks, let alone their 1st rounder. As much as I would love to have Brannstrom & Co., NYR has their own scouting and personnel that has tabs out on certain players. I doubt in my mind, though, that Brannstrom is not not on their list. He should really be considered a top 15 pick.

Reedy is a reach in the 1st. Bowers not so much, however, I do think he is overhyped a little bit. The way he accelerates irks me to no end. It is taught in basic hockey skating camps that the best way to start up one's stride is by nearly walking on your toes into a fluid stride. He doesn't do that. He just chomps his feet down before ultimately getting into a stride. I feel if he could get a good skating coach throughout the offseason(s), watch out. He already has a good stride, but he can be so much more fast than he really is at the moment.

Something to keep in mind, Andreas Borgman who we are rumored to sign plays for the same SHL team as Brannstrom, so while Brannstrom does not play that much, they definitely have watched a lot of him. Teams tend to double up at getting prospects from certain organizations. We also drafted Fast out of that organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad