2017 Draft & UDFA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
I like Lias Andersson. Son of one of the Andersson brothers (Mikael that was a highly regarded checking forward for Tampa and Niklas that played pretty good hockey for NYI for what a handful of years). Think that you basically are gonna get Landeskog value from him. People are having him a bit too high for us though, right?

Yeah, he looks like he's gone in that 10-15 range.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Are we interested in Dennis Everberg?

I have a vague recollection that Kallur (our Swedish scout), called out Colorado somewhat for going with the Norwegian forward over Everberg. DE did pretty well for Colorado but opted to go back to the SHL instead of playing another year in the AHL. Something is rutten in Colorado... Saw a report that like 20 NHL teams had expressed interest in him for next season since he has become a UFA.

I could be mixing up Kallur with someone else, might have been Hedberg of another member of the old crew.

Everberg plays a bit of a PF game. Strong on the puck along the boards. Goes to the net. Not punishing really, but the European version... But besides being an OK PF, he is also very smart with the puck. Think that many see him as a potential possession driver like say a Benny Pouliot.

Last edited:

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Everbergs underlying numbers in his Avs stint were pretty atrocious, even when compared to the awful Avs team... I don't think he's even close to an NHL calibre player tbh...

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Looking at some of the positives to this draft. Arguably the most coveted position currently in the NHL is a serviceable RD. This particular draft has approximately 10 Defenseman slotted or ranked to be potentially get drafted in the first round. Of them, 8 of them play the Right side, 6 of them are Right Handed shots. Im not an advocate of drafting for position, and truly believe in BPA method. This just struck me as odd though. Seemed to be an abundance of RHD coming out this year. Does position, and need for this particular asset skew some of the ranking in this year’s draft class?

1) Timothy Liljegren RD RHS
2) Callan Foote RD RHS
3) Nicolas Hague RD LHS
4) Cale Makar RD RHS
5) Juuso Valimaki LD LHS
6) Henri Jokiharju RD RHS
7) Conor Timmins RD RHS
8) Filip Westerlund RD RHS
9) Miro Heiskanen LD LHS
10 Erik Brannstrom RD LHS

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like Lias Andersson. Son of one of the Andersson brothers (Mikael that was a highly regarded checking forward for Tampa and Niklas that played pretty good hockey for NYI for what a handful of years). Think that you basically are gonna get Landeskog value from him. People are having him a bit too high for us though, right?

I think he'll go 10-20 range. He's definitely a good player, just doesn't have the upside of some of the high end Swedes in this draft, and even some of the late 1st/early second Swedes like Boqvist or Elvenes could be better value picks. I think Andersson is one of the safest players in the draft. If we can take him at 31, because of course we'll win the Stanley Cup :laugh:, I would take it, but I don't think thats his range, and I would not be happy with that pick from 10-20, if I was a fan of the team picking him in that range.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He's in my top 3 / top 5 of players i want for NYR (among the players that are likely available at our spot).

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Are we interested in Dennis Everberg?

I have a vague recollection that Kallur (our Swedish scout), called out Colorado somewhat for going with the Norwegian forward over Everberg. DE did pretty well for Colorado but opted to go back to the SHL instead of playing another year in the AHL. Something is rutten in Colorado... Saw a report that like 20 NHL teams had expressed interest in him for next season since he has become a UFA.

I could be mixing up Kallur with someone else, might have been Hedberg of another member of the old crew.

Everberg plays a bit of a PF game. Strong on the puck along the boards. Goes to the net. Not punishing really, but the European version... But besides being an OK PF, he is also very smart with the puck. Think that many see him as a potential possession driver like say a Benny Pouliot.

I liked his game. COL is in dire financial straits with really poor hockey management. The Boedker trade should tell you how bad they are run.

Everberg could be a good Bellmare type of 4th liner if he hustles all out every shift. I don't see a scorer in him.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Looking at some of the positives to this draft. Arguably the most coveted position currently in the NHL is a serviceable RD. This particular draft has approximately 10 Defenseman slotted or ranked to be potentially get drafted in the first round. Of them, 8 of them play the Right side, 6 of them are Right Handed shots. Im not an advocate of drafting for position, and truly believe in BPA method. This just struck me as odd though. Seemed to be an abundance of RHD coming out this year. Does position, and need for this particular asset skew some of the ranking in this year’s draft class?

1) Timothy Liljegren RD RHS
2) Callan Foote RD RHS
3) Nicolas Hague RD LHS
4) Cale Makar RD RHS
5) Juuso Valimaki LD LHS
6) Henri Jokiharju RD RHS
7) Conor Timmins RD RHS
8) Filip Westerlund RD RHS
9) Miro Heiskanen LD LHS
10 Erik Brannstrom RD LHS

The commodity drives the desire, especially with a weak draft. I know a few people have Makar as the best one.

It's not like 2008 when a bunch of good RHD's went in a row: Doughty, Bogo, Petro, Schenn. Not all are great, but two Canadian National team members and a top 4 and a 10 year NHLer.

If the Rangers get a more premium D, then grab it. But I like Luke Martin a lot. A guy that can be a 3rd pair guy.

He won't be available late in the 2nd, but if the Rangers can get a good one in the 1st, and Luke in the 2nd, then that's great.

In a draft like this, and with so little picks, I'm not sure I would go boom or bust with the 1st.

Can anyone share what some of these Finns like?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
I'm surprised Jokiharju isn't talked about more around here. Kid has an absolute laser of an outlet pass.

I find his lack of physical play to be very disturbing, though. He almost never clears out the opposition in front of the net. Needs to seriously bulk up some.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
The commodity drives the desire, especially with a weak draft. I know a few people have Makar as the best one.

It's not like 2008 when a bunch of good RHD's went in a row: Doughty, Bogo, Petro, Schenn. Not all are great, but two Canadian National team members and a top 4 and a 10 year NHLer.

If the Rangers get a more premium D, then grab it. But I like Luke Martin a lot. A guy that can be a 3rd pair guy.

He won't be available late in the 2nd, but if the Rangers can get a good one in the 1st, and Luke in the 2nd, then that's great.

In a draft like this, and with so little picks, I'm not sure I would go boom or bust with the 1st.

Can anyone share what some of these Finns like?

I agree to go BPA with the first, no matter position (even if it's Oettinger).

In regards to the Finns projected to go in the 1st round, I feel that Tolvanen is the best one out of them. Easy top 5 pick, IMO, who has elite winger capability. Then would be Valimaki and Heiskanen in a 2A/2B situation. Both top 10 talents; Valimaki is more of a two-way defender with a cannon and will put up points offensively, whereas Heiskanen is more solid, complete two-way defender that will do the little things right. After that, I would say Urho Vaakanainen is next as he is a very good two-way defender prospect. Still unsure if he is more offensive or defensive minded, but he has dabbed his foot in both departments this year with JYP. Would round out the 1st round in an order like this: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, Kristian Veselainen and then Henri Jokiharju.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I agree to go BPA with the first, no matter position (even if it's Oettinger).

In regards to the Finns projected to go in the 1st round, I feel that Tolvanen is the best one out of them. Easy top 5 pick, IMO, who has elite winger capability. Then would be Valimaki and Heiskanen in a 2A/2B situation. Both top 10 talents; Valimaki is more of a two-way defender with a cannon and will put up points offensively, whereas Heiskanen is more solid, complete two-way defender that will do the little things right. After that, I would say Urho Vaakanainen is next as he is a very good two-way defender prospect. Still unsure if he is more offensive or defensive minded, but he has dabbed his foot in both departments this year with JYP. Would round out the 1st round in an order like this: Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen, Kristian Veselainen and then Henri Jokiharju.

I really wish GMs would realize this too. Always go BPA in the first round. If the player isn't what you want, try to trade down. Add a late pick

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I find his lack of physical play to be very disturbing, though. He almost never clears out the opposition in front of the net. Needs to seriously bulk up some.

But the rest of his game is just so solid. Cerebral, can skate and move the puck, and uses his stick very well. He's just so calm with the puck on his stick, even under pressure.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
But the rest of his game is just so solid. Cerebral, can skate and move the puck, and uses his stick very well. He's just so calm with the puck on his stick, even under pressure.

He's already got the skillset that's exactly what this team needs now and in the future. He can bulk up a bit as he grows.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He's already got the skillset that's exactly what this team needs now and in the future. He can bulk up a bit as he grows.

Yeah, I agree. I'm willing to overlook lack of strength because he's just so solid everywhere else. I expect him to have a few issues in the corners and in front of the net, but his defensive reads are extremely impressive for a 17 year old.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Everbergs underlying numbers in his Avs stint were pretty atrocious, even when compared to the awful Avs team... I don't think he's even close to an NHL calibre player tbh...

I am sure, but -- and even if I just saw a little of him in Colorado -- my impression was that he wasn't NHL ready back then. He should have been a full year or two in the AHL. Like Fast and Lindberg both needed 1.5-2 seasons in the AHL before they were NHL ready. Colorado more or less played Everberg full time in the NHL his first season and then started in the wrong end demoting him his second year. Bad development.

Everberg is far from a great player. But his vision, smarts and hockey sense is definitely there. He is the type who have had to work really really hard to get where he is today.

I liked his game. COL is in dire financial straits with really poor hockey management. The Boedker trade should tell you how bad they are run.

Everberg could be a good Bellmare type of 4th liner if he hustles all out every shift. I don't see a scorer in him.

Yeah, and they are completely different players, but Everberg got that Fast side to his game. He is smart, linemates and coaches will like him a lot. With his reach, Everberg get much more time than Fast and can use that hockey sense to create more chances.

But who knows, if he can keep developing, he could serve as a big body on more of a scoring line. The reason for why he isn't a bigger star at lower levels than the NHL is because he is a big guy playing in a a smaller faster players game right now. To a certain extent he will play better with better linemates. In the end, I am not super excited about Everberg. I would prefer to get more grit into the lineup. But he wouldn't be a bad guy to add to the competing mix so to speak.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
First game of the Frozen Four is on. Harvard vs UMD. Really exciting so far but the refs are questionable. Pionk has an absolute rifle from the backend on the PP. Moves the puck very well at even strength, but he's coughed it up under pressure a number of times leading to scoring chances.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

Touché. IMO, think his strength could be worked on tremendously. Would be fine with NYR taking him in the 1st, but I would much rather he defensive side of the puck to be more of Stralman instead of Ryan Murphy, if you get the drift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad