2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Any chance we can get LA's 11th overall pick in the first round so that we can draft 2 of Makar, Liljegren or Brannstrom.
Something around:

Brown - 20% retained
1st overall

for

Moulson 50% retained
3rd rounder

LAK is not in a position to be trading away first round picks, regardless of their cap situation. I can't imagine a scenario where LA does anything like this. I mean, when your cap is busted, you need draft picks to bail you out.

Also, extremely irrelevant, but LA drafted 11th overall 3 years in a row: 2004, 2005 and 2006. They got Lauri Tukonen, Anze Kopitar and, as of 10:30 pm on Monday night, burgeoning Anaheim Ducks playoff hero/goat Jonathan Bernier.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Even at 20% retained, that's $4.7m for 5 seasons. Brown turns 33 in November, so we'd have him for that cap hit through his 37 year-old season. That's too scary for me.

Only really relevant if there is a recapture to pay for the next 2 years. I'd be shocked if Brown plays 3 more.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I doubt that Buffalo is among the 8 teams that Brown would accept a trade to.

And even if Buffalo were, I wouldn't want to add his contract.

Brown is from Ithaca, so who knows...

But yeah, I wouldn't want that contract either.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
LAK is not in a position to be trading away first round picks, regardless of their cap situation. I can't imagine a scenario where LA does anything like this. I mean, when your cap is busted, you need draft picks to bail you out.

Also, extremely irrelevant, but LA drafted 11th overall 3 years in a row: 2004, 2005 and 2006. They got Lauri Tukonen, Anze Kopitar and, as of 10:30 pm on Monday night, burgeoning Anaheim Ducks playoff hero/goat Jonathan Bernier.

UPDATE: goat.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Patrick
Hischier
Vilardi
Glass
Makar
Heiskanen
Liljegren

These are my top 7 picks in this draft. I could easily see them being drafted top 7 too.

If these are the top 7, then I would maybe go Petterson, or Mittelstadt. Or maybe I simply won't care. Tippett is a low IQ player, but he's also a great shooter with wheels. He may not need to be that smart to be effective with a good center.

I would be good with Mittelstadt or I would look to move down a few spots and grab Valimaki/Brannstrom.

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
I think Makar could certainly be there at 8, it's a little difficult to gauge where he will go at this point

He's a guy who could go anywhere from 3 to 13

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I think Makar could certainly be there at 8, it's a little difficult to gauge where he will go at this point

He's a guy who could go anywhere from 3 to 13

5 to 15 IMO. Can't see him going in top 4 and also could possibly see multiple GMs that need D being afraid of the comp he played in so he could slip to the bottom of the lottery slots. Having said that, if he's there at 8 we should take him IMO.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Trading a draft pick to get out of the busted cap situation IS using the draft pick to bail you out.

JoinTheArmia

Jun 12, 2013
Hey guys, just a thought to throw out there.

What about drafting Josh Brook from the Moose Jaw Warriors with Minnesota's 2nd rounder? He finished 23rd overall in the WHL in points for defensemen. He lost a lot of last season to injury after being drafted 4th overall in the Bantam draft. Very nice guy and I think he will probably do quite well next year. Also, Moose Jaw's other high rounders recently have been Brett Howden and Brayden Point (both with Tampa) and they look to be good contributing players. I definitely don't want Tampa to snag Brook.

The Sabres also have a history of drafting defenseman (sometimes forwards) from the WHL that went really high in the Bantam draft.

- Brendan Guhle, 3rd overall 2012
- Giorgio Estephan, 4th overall 2012
- Brycen Martin, 2nd overall 2011
- Sam Reinhart, 15th overall 2010
- Mark Pysyk, 3rd overall 2007
-

Also, don't know if this has been discussed but Kaiden Guhle was drafted 1st overall in the Bantam draft which I thought was cool.

I'd appreciate some thoughts. Thanks guys.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If anyone wants to get a great view of Spits' draft eligibles, they're in action tonight. Dipietro has been unreal again tonight.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Great job Spits! They were only a fifth seed in the OHL Playoffs and got bounced by London and in the Memorial Cup they beat the OHL, WHL, and QMJHL Champions!

They could win this whole thing!

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
After reading team forums on here and team blogs elsewhere it looks like Makar may go one pick ahead of us to Arizona. But after Patrick/Hischier the rest of the Top 10 looks as unpredictable as any draft could be. Just saw a Top 10 list that had Vesalainen and Robertson in it. I don't see any team reaching for Makar before Arizona.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
After reading team forums on here and team blogs elsewhere it looks like Makar may go one pick ahead of us to Arizona. But after Patrick/Hischier the rest of the Top 10 looks as unpredictable as any draft could be. Just saw a Top 10 list that had Vesalainen and Robertson in it. I don't see any team reaching for Makar before Arizona.

I've seen Makar as a possible VanCan pick.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I've seen Makar as a possible VanCan pick.

Maybe a trade with Vancouver around our #8 and Kane for #5 plus???

Draft Makar?? Guess it depends on how Botts compares Makar to the rest of the prospect available. Everything I read indicates a toss up between #5-#15

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
DiPietro was outstanding last night.

If we hang onto both second rounders (barring trading one for expansion draft protection), I'd love to scoop him up with the Minnesota pick.

With the uncertainty of Petersen's stance, I think it's pretty important to get a nice goalie prospect in this draft.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
DiPietro was outstanding last night.

If we hang onto both second rounders (barring trading one for expansion draft protection), I'd love to scoop him up with the Minnesota pick.

With the uncertainty of Petersen's stance, I think it's pretty important to get a nice goalie prospect in this draft.

The way he "loses" his stick in tight and just hurls himself around reminds me of old Dom moments.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The way he "loses" his stick in tight and just hurls himself around reminds me of old Dom moments.

The one on the poke check right before Serg drew the hold late in teh first wasn't a Dom one, though.

The way he picked up the stick showed that it wasn't planned.

I wonder if having new-ish Bauer Vapor 1X gloves and stick were a factor.

I think he was in Vaughn gear earlier in the year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The one on the poke check right before Serg drew the hold late in teh first wasn't a Dom one, though.

The way he picked up the stick showed that it wasn't planned.

I wonder if having new-ish Bauer Vapor 1X gloves and stick were a factor.

I think he was in Vaughn gear earlier in the year.

I was thinking more about how he hurled himself backwards, using both hands to "Superman" his way to the save after losing his stick in tight.

Good catch on the equipment. There are some pics of him in the Vaughn stuff from last season but I've seen him in Bauer gear from December pics. Not sure -- maybe he's got brand new gear and didn't break it in enough when they had their month+ off since being eliminated.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I was thinking more about how he hurled himself backwards, using both hands to "Superman" his way to the save after losing his stick in tight.

Good catch on the equipment. There are some pics of him in the Vaughn stuff from last season but I've seen him in Bauer gear from December pics. Not sure -- maybe he's got brand new gear and didn't break it in enough when they had their month+ off since being eliminated.

The Vapor 1X line is new. Only a few NHLers had it this season and it isn't at retail yet. But, it looks like he's had it all season.

Although, it fro Getty Images, it looks like he might just have gotten a new Vapor 1X set since the OHL playoffs and the Memorial Cup since there are a lot fewer puck marks on the gear now than a month ago.

:dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad