2017 Draft discussion- Sabres pick 8th. Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
And as the 2 NHL amateur scouting professionals pointed out that ends and becomes unenforceable once he enrolls. Both said Makar won't play a game in the NCAA and won't be back to the AJHL.

Again, it has to do with the league he is drafted out of. That's all that matters.

Btw, from a recent example of a player drafted out of the CJHL
http://www.heraldnet.com/sports/jujhar-khaira-coming-to-camp/

It was originally thought Khaira, because he was an NCAA player, was eligible to play professionally in the minors at 19. However, he wasn’t actually drafted out of the NCAA, he was drafted following his season with the BCHL’s Prince George Spruce Kings. According to Tips general manager Garry Davidson, the Canadian junior A leagues are subject to the same rules as major junior, meaning players drafted from the BCHL aren’t eligible for the minors until they’re 20. Therefore, the only places Khaira can play this season are Edmonton or Everett.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This further compounds the bat****tiness of this cockamamie agreement.

Clearly you don't remember when teams could raid their junior prospects on recalls with impunity. Scotty Bowman as GM regularly abused it in the early '80's. Junior teams don't exist purely to feed talent to the next highest level and giving them some degree of surety allows them to make roster maneuvers accordingly. The league is aware that having junior teams strong allows for a broader development base - if junior teams fail, not only does that limit the immediate level of talent the league has to draw from, but the trickle down transfer payments that support the leagues below also shrinks, shrinking that pool. There is nothing wrong with the agreement.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
Clearly you don't remember when teams could raid their junior prospects on recalls with impunity. Scotty Bowman as GM regularly abused it in the early '80's. Junior teams don't exist purely to feed talent to the next highest level and giving them some degree of surety allows them to make roster maneuvers accordingly. The league is aware that having junior teams strong allows for a broader development base - if junior teams fail, not only does that limit the immediate level of talent the league has to draw from, but the trickle down transfer payments that support the leagues below also shrinks, shrinking that pool. There is nothing wrong with the agreement.

I personally would love to see a slight modification of the agreement. My first thought was that teams should be allowed 1 player exemption per year. However, I quickly realized that this is a bad idea because it robs the CHL of 31 of it's most promising players nearly every year. Nevertheless, the teams should be given one exemption to the CHL rule over a period of time. Perhaps one exemption over a three/four year period.

Using the Sabres as an example, they could have kept Sam Reinhart and allowed him to play in the AHL. They then could have used this again until at least 2018-19.

It's highly unlikely to happen but for those truly high end players, like a Dylan Strome, playing two extra years of juniors just it's as beneficial as playing a extra season against professionals.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I personally would love to see a slight modification of the agreement. My first thought was that teams should be allowed 1 player exemption per year. However, I quickly realized that this is a bad idea because it robs the CHL of 31 of it's most promising players nearly every year. Nevertheless, the teams should be given one exemption to the CHL rule over a period of time. Perhaps one exemption over a three/four year period.

Using the Sabres as an example, they could have kept Sam Reinhart and allowed him to play in the AHL. They then could have used this again until at least 2018-19.

It's highly unlikely to happen but for those truly high end players, like a Dylan Strome, playing two extra years of juniors just it's as beneficial as playing a extra season against professionals.

Yet Reinhart's D+1 in Kootenay allowed him to work on a variety of things the team wanted him to work on, put in a dominant performance at the WJC's, and allowed him to put in a solid playoff run. I don't agree with the AHL for 18 or 19 year olds.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Yet Reinhart's D+1 in Kootenay allowed him to work on a variety of things the team wanted him to work on, put in a dominant performance at the WJC's, and allowed him to put in a solid playoff run. I don't agree with the AHL for 18 or 19 year olds.

I think that is right 95% of the time. But every once in a while there is a guy I want in the ahl.

Zadorov is someone in my mind who was perfect to go back his d+1 and then the ahl as a 19 year old.

I thought he was a cocky player who was to physically gifted to be held accountable in juniors. If he took a bad angle he could skate well enough and reach to save plays and learn no lesson.

He could walk a couple of 16 year olds and get a weak goal by himself.

He was physically tough enough to handle the league and needed the benefit of pro coaching and physically mature opponents.

Meanwhile the NHL was too fast for him as a 19 year old.

Rare scenario, but it exists.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think that is right 95% of the time. But every once in a while there is a guy I want in the ahl.

Zadorov is someone in my mind who was perfect to go back his d+1 and then the ahl as a 19 year old.

I thought he was a cocky player who was to physically gifted to be held accountable in juniors. If he took a bad angle he could skate well enough and reach to save plays and learn no lesson.

He could walk a couple of 16 year olds and get a weak goal by himself.

He was physically tough enough to handle the league and needed the benefit of pro coaching and physically mature opponents.

Meanwhile the NHL was too fast for him as a 19 year old.

Rare scenario, but it exists.

Still not rare enough to create new rules that help NHL teams take talent out of the junior ranks.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Windsor Spitfires - Seattle Thunderbirds Memorial Cup Game from Windsor on the NHL Network now. I go to a few games there a year and love the arena so GO Spits!

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Watching Makar again. The kid is entertaining.

It's all but a given that Makar is going to Arizona , if they draft another forward Chayka should be fired. Domi, Perlini, Dvorak, Strome and Keller and yes I know Dvorak was a 2nd Round Pick.

Buffalo will be tempted to taking Liljegren but passing on Tippett wouldn't be smart . TIPPETT IS THE guy we need . After that load up on D with all of the extra picks we have

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's all but a given that Makar is going to Arizona , if they draft another forward Chayka should be fired. Domi, Perlini, Dvorak, Strome and Keller and yes I know Dvorak was a 2nd Round Pick.

Buffalo will be tempted to taking Liljegren but passing on Tippett wouldn't be smart . TIPPETT IS THE guy we need . After that load up on D with all of the extra picks we have

Given? Perhaps. I could see him going at 5 to the Canucks too. As for Tippett, there are enough concerns there to have him not thrill me.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Given? Perhaps. I could see him going at 5 to the Canucks too. As for Tippett, there are enough concerns there to have him not thrill me.

Very true on TIPPETT . I think Lilejren is the guy we wil draft, if all 3 defenseman go
In the top 7 then Pettersson is the guy we take . I really wanted a forward. But Lilejren is going to be a star and we desperately need a defenseman

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I became enthralled by Makar off his YT videos, the offensive gifts jump off the screen, but I haven't seen anything of him defending so Pronman's comments do get me thinking. I've said I'd be happy with Liljegren, that's because I see his offensive gifts as well, beautiful powerful skater and loves to rush the puck plus I've seen him play defense against SHL competition. He doesn't look overmatched as an 18 year old playing against men - he's a solid 192 pounds so you know he's going to be 200+.

Pronman has Brannstrom ranked ahead of both Makar and Liljegren at 11th. He's an inch shorter than Makar. Like Lilejegren he played in the SHL as a 17 year old.

Any chance we can get LA's 11th overall pick in the first round so that we can draft 2 of Makar, Liljegren or Brannstrom.
Something around:

Brown - 20% retained
1st overall

for

Moulson 50% retained
3rd rounder

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Any chance we can get LA's 11th overall pick in the first round so that we can draft 2 of Makar, Liljegren or Brannstrom.
Something around:

Brown - 20% retained
1st overall

for

Moulson 50% retained
3rd rounder

I doubt that Buffalo is among the 8 teams that Brown would accept a trade to.

And even if Buffalo were, I wouldn't want to add his contract.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
If all 3 dmen go in the top 7 then they'll gladly grab Glass and I'll be a happy camper

Patrick
Hischier
Vilardi
Glass
Makar
Heiskanen
Liljegren

These are my top 7 picks in this draft. I could easily see them being drafted top 7 too.

If these are the top 7, then I would maybe go Petterson, or Mittelstadt. Or maybe I simply won't care. Tippett is a low IQ player, but he's also a great shooter with wheels. He may not need to be that smart to be effective with a good center.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Something around:

Brown - 20% retained
1st overall

for

Moulson 50% retained
3rd rounder

Even at 20% retained, that's $4.7m for 5 seasons. Brown turns 33 in November, so we'd have him for that cap hit through his 37 year-old season. That's too scary for me.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
If we got Mittelstadt at 8 and those 3 were still available I would do the LA deal to get one of those D and find a way to make it work. That scenario will not happen unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad