Speculation: 2017-18 Roster Discussion - Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
After listening to Yzerman’s interview on the draft floor yesterday, it doesn’t sound like any big named high priced D are coming in. He said Koekkoek and Sergechev were going to compete for Garrison’s slot and that he wasn’t going back into cap hell. After what it took and cost to get Carle, Filppula, and Garrison’s contract off the books, who could blame him. The last thing we need is Alzner at 5x5, it would be Carle 2.0. One thing the expansion draft told us, Yzerman must believe in Koekkoek and Dotchin as NHLers or he wouldn’t have paid so much to protect them. I expect the most we get is cheap depth on D like Franson.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
After listening to Yzerman’s interview on the draft floor yesterday, it doesn’t sound like any big named high priced D are coming in. He said Koekkoek and Sergechev were going to compete for Garrison’s slot and that he wasn’t going back into cap hell. After what it took and cost to get Carle, Filppula, and Garrison’s contract off the books, who could blame him. The last thing we need is Alzner at 5x5, it would be Carle 2.0. One thing the expansion draft told us, Yzerman must believe in Koekkoek and Dotchin as NHLers or he wouldn’t have paid so much to protect them. I expect the most we get is cheap depth on D like Franson.

I wouldn't be surprised if we left the D as is right now. Maybe visit it later. I do expect to see them make a move for some depth scoring. We lost Drouin. We will get Stamkos back but we need some more depth. Also who knows if he will stay healthy this season or how he will be coming back from injury again. I expect a move or two to try to get some more scoring.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I'd wager my house, my car, my 401k, and the kids college fund that we will see some more big moves this off season.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Really that confident why ?

The Garrison trade. That wasn't a subtle deal, you keep him as a bottom pairing D and only pay him 2.5 mill in actual salary unless you have a very specific plan to use his 4.6 million cap hit. As it stands we still could use another D.

Tampa being in on rumored deals with Minnesota and for Hamonic too. We aren't sitting pat.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The Garrison trade. That wasn't a subtle deal, you keep him as a bottom pairing D and only pay him 2.5 mill in actual salary unless you have a very specific plan to use his 4.6 million cap hit. As it stands we still could use another D.

Tampa being in on rumored deals with Minnesota and for Hamonic too. We aren't sitting pat.

Yeah, Yzerman tends to spend every bit of available cap. I think this mainly means he's going to try to keep the term in check.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't be surprised if we left the D as is right now. Maybe visit it later. I do expect to see them make a move for some depth scoring. We lost Drouin. We will get Stamkos back but we need some more depth. Also who knows if he will stay healthy this season or how he will be coming back from injury again. I expect a move or two to try to get some more scoring.

This is what I'm thinking too. It suddenly looks like our need for a LHD is greater than our need for a righty. This is all dependent on Jake Dotchin, mind you, but, assuming we start the year with Hedman/Dotchin, we mainly need someone to play with Stralman.

If Hedman/Dotchin can maintain their level of play from last year, one solid lefty will give us one of the more effective top-4s in the league, even if Dotchin's name keeps it from being overly dazzling on paper.

Hedman - Dotchin
XXXXXX - Stralman
Koekkoek - Coburn
Sustr

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

Does not mean he will get deals done and spend it but it gives him options if he can get things done.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

To give up what for hamonic? And what for dumba ? We don't have the assets to get those deals done. What would a deal look like with the wild if we were in ?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Who said they could do any better than Stevie Y? You sound like a drama queen. Calm down. There's nothing wrong with sharing opinions on a message board. You wanna hold hands and sing kumbaya together? I hate it when posters try to tell others how to post. I don't think anyone said FIRE YZERMAN, did they? I don't think anyone gave up their lightning allegiance either. Too many fragile posters that can't handle a little VALID criticism.

lmfao todd happens to be my best friend on these boards he goes overboard lol on negative i let him know it

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
To give up what for hamonic? And what for dumba ? We don't have the assets to get those deals done. What would a deal look like with the wild if we were in ?

We don't have what Calgary gave up for Hamonic? :laugh:

I'm glad Yzerman didn't give that up for Hamonic. For Dumba or Brodin though? I'd absolutely give that up. We need to generate offense from our D.

Tieing this into the lengthy discussion we've had on dealing prospects, packaging one of our young D like Hajek in a deal makes sense here.

If I'm picking between Brodin and Dumba, I take Dumba 10/10. Even after drafting Foote, our best long term assets are on the left side, Dumba would help even that out a bit, and there should be a lot of good value in the next contract he signs. Coburn can play either side, so in the short term I'd say we are about even.

3 years from now
Hedman-Dumba
Sergachev-Foote

:help:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
i think foote and sergachev are way past what we expect and both shine moving forward

i think cooper has one more year he can say no to moving forward with say a sergachev I think both play on team in 2018 for sure

I think as stands both are better players right now then koekkoek and dotchin and thats not knocking either of them they have their place

we sign boyle gourde sustr tyjo and drej for now and go into season like that as long as works we stay with it sustr moves at some point though especially if sergachev is given a spot.... which he should be but might not be because of cooper

this is coopers last run without a cup I think he gets moved on my two cents

I think none of us remember how good this team is with healthy stamkos and how that opens up everything else. Stamkos is the key for all the failings he has and issues of not being crosby like he flat out makes our team 100% better

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
i think foote and sergachev are way past what we expect and both shine moving forward

i think cooper has one more year he can say no to moving forward with say a sergachev I think both play on team in 2018 for sure

I think as stands both are better players right now then koekkoek and dotchin and thats not knocking either of them they have their place

we sign boyle gourde sustr tyjo and drej for now and go into season like that as long as works we stay with it sustr moves at some point though especially if sergachev is given a spot.... which he should be but might not be because of cooper

this is coopers last run without a cup I think he gets moved on my two cents

I think none of us remember how good this team is with healthy stamkos and how that opens up everything else. Stamkos is the key for all the failings he has and issues of not being crosby like he flat out makes our team 100% better

Are you saying Sergachev and Foote are both better than Koekkoek and Dotchin? I can give you Sergachev as he has all the tools, just needs to match those against NHL speed which he didn't do in his 4 games last year. Foote has a ways to go, his skating is not nearly good enough. His lateral movement needs work as well as his first step, it's probably similar to Dotchin but not close to Koekkoek. Koekkoek has a better shot, first pass and instincts. His Calder cup run was great, if he can bring that play to the NHL next year there's no way he's not in the lineup every night.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
This is what I'm thinking too. It suddenly looks like our need for a LHD is greater than our need for a righty. This is all dependent on Jake Dotchin, mind you, but, assuming we start the year with Hedman/Dotchin, we mainly need someone to play with Stralman.

If Hedman/Dotchin can maintain their level of play from last year, one solid lefty will give us one of the more effective top-4s in the league, even if Dotchin's name keeps it from being overly dazzling on paper.

Hedman - Dotchin
XXXXXX - Stralman
Koekkoek - Coburn
Sustr

That lineup makes the most sense. Neither Koekkoek or Dotchin will clear waivers this fall. After paying to protect them it would be foolish to lose them on waivers, so they are either in the lineup or traded. Can’t see a rookie being the #7 scratch so Sustr or Witko would fit that role.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
lmfao todd happens to be my best friend on these boards he goes overboard lol on negative i let him know it

I think that's great. My point was not everyone is going to agree with every move so one should expect fans to be fans. Drouin's value was more than just 53 points. I can't tell you how many times he would keep puck possession by himself during a shift change in the opposing zone...or pick any other situation for that matter. He did things that just don't show up in the box score. I was hoping for the trade to give back the Lightning a win now piece. And yes, our window is now. I fully understand the balance between now and planning for the future. The future is now. It may change...but IMHO too many decisions for the future and not enough for today...this coming season. Let's hope Yzerman has more up his sleeve.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Im hoping SY trades for a defender and if he is able to get a deal done with some of our goods then do it. The FA for defence doesn't look as good and if they do will most likely have to overpay. A winger from FA is better than going for a defender and would most likely not be as much as in salary. Im just hoping that Shatternkirk doesn't come here as he is going to get paid way to much for way to long.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I think that's great. My point was not everyone is going to agree with every move so one should expect fans to be fans. Drouin's value was more than just 53 points. I can't tell you how many times he would keep puck possession by himself during a shift change in the opposing zone...or pick any other situation for that matter. He did things that just don't show up in the box score. I was hoping for the trade to give back the Lightning a win now piece. And yes, our window is now. I fully understand the balance between now and planning for the future. The future is now. It may change...but IMHO too many decisions for the future and not enough for today...this coming season. Let's hope Yzerman has more up his sleeve.
Puck possession is key to winning cups for darn sure and with drouin we will indeed miss that. Montreal got a lot better and they will love drouin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad