Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
The best goalie against us by far in the playoffs was Anderson. No coincidence that Hornqvist only played 13 minutes of that series.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Cullen - 56.4%
Bonino - 52.3%
Crosby - 49.2%
Malkin - 46.9%

How much of a factor is faceoff ability going to play in GMJRs thoughts about filling those 3C and 4C roles?

The last 10 minutes of game 6 it felt like Cullen took every single defensive zone draw.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I am with you one million percent. UB44 mentioned that Hags only skill is speed. Yes, Maybe, but that speed allows you to get to their d-man, pressure them and have your center or the pincher d-man scoop up the puck. Hags has that skill its not just speed, its anticipation and good positioning. This also allows you to carry not so great d-man, less work for them

Also he does not have golden mitts but I think his skills with the puck are greatly exaggareted in a negative way...

Horny I don't want even to waste my time on that.

Well he can't pass, shoot, or stickhandle in traffic but other than that......

I like the player. I mention his speed a lot because saying he's "fast" is underselling just how fast he really is compared to everyone else. Just saying there are guys that can get around the rink well enough and produce as much or a little more than Hags in the context of "what if Hags wasn't a Penguin". Some of them might even make less than Hags.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hags' production has been pretty consistent throughout his career except for this season where his shooting percentage numbers were shockingly low.

The only reason to be suspicious of his ability to produce is that he's had prolonged rough patches at two organisations after leaving NYR.

Also while you'd like to think more face-off ability would figure into the equation, they were leaning pretty heavily on Sid as was during the play-offs, so maybe not all that much.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm sorry, I just can't get behind the idea that Hornqvist is more replaceable than Hagelin. I think Horny's injury was a big part of why he wasn't with Sid later in the playoffs.

He's the heart and soul of the team IMO. His attitude and the way he plays helps drive the bus. If you are a young guy and want to learn what it takes to play playoff hockey, Horny is your guy to watch. He takes a beating and rarely, if ever, takes a selfish retaliatory penalty. I think Sully is a major reason for the discipline turnaround, but I suspect Horny is a big part of it too. Watching that guy take the abuse he does and just skates away is a team rallying cry (Sid is a big great example as well, obviously).

I'm not suggesting Horny is irreplaceable, but saying he's "blocking Archie and Rust" is pretty absurd to me. Archibald is a 4th liner with maybe 3rd line upside and Rust can effectively play the left and right side. I can buy an argument that Sprong is blocked, but I'm not starting him in the NHL anyway.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As far as the roster construction goes, if we could get Hanzal on a discounted short-term deal (~4.5/5 mil), we wouldn't need to to worry about moving Hags or Horny.

Just re-sign our RFAs and Ruhwedel, and we look pretty damn good.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Given how much this team gets hurt and how Sullivan was changing the lines in the playoffs I'm not sure we'll see Hornqvist kept out of a top 6 role for that long or when it counts.

I feel like we saw a lot of opportunities for Sullivan to put Horny back with Sid get passed up even before he busted his hand.

In any case, if Sullivan wants to use him a lot with Sid, cool, don't trade him. If Sullivan doesn't want to him with Sid though the point stands.

I'd like to think we'd get a feeling for where Sully is on this from the trade rumours but we'll see.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
If Schmidt is everything I hear, why in the heck would Vegas trade a young good D? That makes zero sense

Because its funny and cause typically if something in hockey could happen to crush the Caps fans spirit any more than it already has been, it will... its the hockey equivalent of murphy's law only much funnier for every non Caps fans

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Schmidt would be a great get.

I honestly wonder if VGK would be interested in Hagelin for Schmidt?

Then perhaps Maatta for Sam Bennett?

Sign Kulikov or MDZ

Jake-Sid-Sheary
Rust-Geno-Kessel
Wilson-Bennett-Hornqvist
Kuhn-Sundy-Archi
Rowney

Dumo-Letang
Cole-Schultz
Schmidt-Kulikov/MDZ
Pouliot

Also have ZAR and Sprong in the mix.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Because its funny and cause typically if something in hockey could happen to crush the Caps fans spirit any more than it already has been, it will... its the hockey equivalent of murphy's law only much funnier for every non Caps fans

That and they look like they want picks and to tank. Will a 26 year old RFA be there when they start improving? Flipping him now might have the best value for them. The price might be too high for the Pens but I don't think Schmidt will be there for too long.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005

Hopefully the Islanders just end up making a series of desperate moves, trying to grab Tavares by the arm as he starts heading toward the door.

Eberle was horrendous in the playoffs this year. I feel like the Oilers almost have to be retaining some of that $6M salary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad