2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster
FORWARDS (14)
Rightwing: T. Toffoli ($4,600,000) - G. Vilardi ($800,000) - D. Brown ($5,875,000) - T. Lewis ($2,000,000)
Centre: A. Kopitar ($10,000,000) - J. Tavares ($10,000,000) - J. Carter ($5,272,727) - M. Amadio ($717,500) - J. Brodzinski ($650,000)
Leftwing: A. Kempe ($894,167) - T. Pearson ($3,750,000) - A. Iafallo ($925,000) - K. Clifford ($1,600,000) - A. Andreoff ($677,500)
DEFENSE (4)
Right: D. Doughty ($7,000,000) - A. Martinez ($4,000,000)
Left: J. Muzzin ($4,000,000) - D. Forbort ($2,525,000)
GOALTENDER (2)
J. Quick ($5,800,000) - J. Campbell ($675,000)
BUYOUTS
M. Greene ($0)
DETAILS
Roster Size: 20
NHL Salary Cap: $82,000,000
Recapture Penalty: $1,320,000
Cap Hit: $73,915,227
Cap Space: $8,084,773

8 mil in cap but we need to save 3-4 mil of that for doughty extension. So 3-4 mil left for the last 2 D spots and the extra defenseman...

We can dream right? I would love this but I do not see it happening. When was the big name free agent who signed in the West over the East let alone in LA?

In this dream world I would have carter on the RW and have Vilardi play a year in the AHL

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
If I was Tavares no way would I re-sign with the Islanders. (Why would he?)

The rink situation is looking good, the oilers gifted them a good second line and their only big whole is on D. There is no travel, there is not a huge amount of pressure. I think there are a lot worse places for him to sign.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
We can dream right? I would love this but I do not see it happening. When was the big name free agent who signed in the West over the East let alone in LA?

In this dream world I would have carter on the RW and have Vilardi play a year in the AHL

I never said I thought it would happen. Was just showing that it would be possible cap wise, although it would get tight eventually...

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA

He's only 18, can't play in the AHL until the 19-20 season.

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Kempe-Kopitar-Toffoli
Pearson-Tavares-Vilardi
Iafallo-Carter-Brown
Clifford-Amadio-Lewis

That is certainly a sexy ass forward group though...

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The rink situation is looking good, the oilers gifted them a good second line and their only big whole is on D. There is no travel, there is not a huge amount of pressure. I think there are a lot worse places for him to sign.

The hole in net is bigger than their issues on defense. They need a goalie in the worst way.

Griess and Halak have a combined Save percentage of under .900. That's god awful.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
That center group would probably be top three best in the league
Top 3? Best in the league by far. Crosby and Malkin are better than Koptiar and Tavares but Carter is >>>>>>> whatever they put out there on the 3C.

As great as Tavares would be, and he would be GREAT, I think the Kings need to invest on defense more. I'd rather spend $7-8 million on McDonagh than Tavares. I know they're free agents different years but the defense needs more help than the forwards in my opinion. Muzzin-Doughty, McDonagh-LaDue, Martinez-Gravel/Folin looks pretty dominant to me.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Top 3? Best in the league by far. Crosby and Malkin are better than Koptiar and Tavares but Carter is >>>>>>> whatever they put out there on the 3C.

As great as Tavares would be, and he would be GREAT, I think the Kings need to invest on defense more. I'd rather spend $7-8 million on McDonagh than Tavares. I know they're free agents different years but the defense needs more help than the forwards in my opinion. Muzzin-Doughty, McDonagh-LaDue, Martinez-Gravel/Folin looks pretty dominant to me.

See, that's a more likely avenue to go down in terms of team needs and the cap situation. Now the only problem is trading for McDonagh, and not being outbid by the rest of the league.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The King’s should target Tatar at the deadline. He is signed for a few more years, is a consistent goal scorer, and could have good chemistry with Kopitar or Carter. McKenzie said that his price is likely a prospect and 2nd round pick, which is worth it since he is signed with term.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
If Kings brass really believe Kempe and Vilardi are our centers of the future I could see Anderson-Dolan available for trade for someone that has term.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The King’s should target Tatar at the deadline. He is signed for a few more years, is a consistent goal scorer, and could have good chemistry with Kopitar or Carter. McKenzie said that his price is likely a prospect and 2nd round pick, which is worth it since he is signed with term.

It seems like Detroit would want more than that, but who knows. He is having a down year, would be great buy low situation.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
The problem with passing on a UFA Tavares is from all accounts, Tavares likes California. He vacationed in the state over the summer. So if he's not a king, he could sign in San Jose or Anaheim. How big a problem would that be?

We have to consider that possibility. That's another reason to consider getting him so the sharks don't. They have a lot of cap space.

Reactions: Reaper45

LAKings88

Formerly KOTR
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
The problem with passing on a UFA Tavares is from all accounts, Tavares likes California. He vacationed in the state over the summer. So if he's not a king, he could sign in San Jose or Anaheim. How big a problem would that be?

We have to consider that possibility. That's another reason to consider getting him so the sharks don't. They have a lot of cap space.
Joe Thornton replacement for sure.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The prospects named by Sam McMaster showed just how poorly that team was managed. It's pretty reminiscent of what is going on today (though not as bad).

In '91, '92, and '93, the Kings had no first round draft selections, granted, two of those said picks were involved in the Gretzky trade, and the other was involved in the Paul Coffey trade.

Their highest pick in all three of those drafts were second round selections, which turned into Guy Leveque, Justin Hocking, and Shayne Toporowski. All three players combined appeared in 21 games in the NHL. Now that is some horrendous scouting.

In their entire stretch of second round picks in the 90s, the only players to appear in 100+ NHL games were Matt Johnson and Josh Green. And even during Taylor's era, the only two second round selections he had any success with were Michael Cammalleri and Andreas Lilja. That's it.

It emphasizes just how critical draft success is in team building. Those Kings teams had no future because they hardly had anyone worth a damn come up and play important roles. All of the top positions were mostly filled by outside acquisitions back then.

It is even more crucial nowadays in the post-cap era.

They were a poor drafting team back then, but look at the context of those picks. Who should they have drafted in 91? Realistically. The only guy within 10 picks is Perreault, and the Kings eventually got him for basically nothing. After that, in the entire 3rd round, McCarthy, Osgood, Konowalchuk, and Nylander played more than a couple hundred games. Any one of them would've been better than Leveque, but they did draft Zhitnik in the 4th round, so it sort of evens out. In 92, Peca was the pick right after Hocking, so they missed there. Norstrom was a couple picks after Hocking too, and they eventually got him as well. In 93, there are 29 picks between Toporowski, and the next guy that did anything, Vinny Prospal. Although the Kings did have an additional pick a couple spots ahead of where Prospal was taken.

Would a team take a cap dump if one of Muzzin/Martinez and the 2018 1st were included?

Just looking at what goes out and what comes in...
I think most people would trade Gaborik, a 1st, and one of muzzin/martinez if it got Tavares in return - especially if voynov returned to fill the vacant d spot

You want another team to take on $9m of cap space for the next couple years? For one veteran top 4 D, an old winger that is having a tough time getting in/staying in the lineup, and one 1st round pick? So that the Kings can sign another #1C? I don't think anyone likes Blake or the Kings that much to do them such a favor. Muzzin/Martinez and a 1st? Another team might do that. One of those two D would be the cap dump. Why would anyone want Gaborik included? What's his value to the trade?

If a rebuilding team needed to hit the cap floor, why would it be out of the question for one of them to take Gaborik off our hands for a couple draft picks?

Not only does he help them reach the cap floor, but they get a couple picks to help with the rebuild. Plus there’s the off chance that Gaborik could actually be a decent player(unlikely, obviously) for them. Hell, we could eat up 1 mil of his cap if needed...

I’d think a 3rd this year and 2nd next year could get it done?

If he had 1 year left on his deal, that would make sense. He's signed until 2021 though. Arizona took Bolland, with multiple years on his deal, and all it cost the Panthers was Crouse and no 1st round picks. However, Bolland was never going to play. Do the Coyotes even pay his salary, or is it taken care of by insurance? They just wanted the cap hit. That's not the situation with Gaborik. He's as healthy as possible right now. Plus he's never hurt so bad that it threatens his career. It's always some nagging little thing that never goes away, but nothing that would decrease his future quality of life. There's been no hint that Gaborik won't be ready to play for the next couple years. He's up for almost $11m. That's not like Hossa.

I would think, minimum, is a couple 1st round picks. Or a 1st and a top prospect. The other team would be taking Gaborik's cap hit, salary, and spot on a roster, for by all indications, the next 3 seasons. If the Kings were rebuilding, would you do another team that favor for a 3rd and 2nd? What are the odds of a 2nd or 3rd round pick doing anything for you? It's like 80-90% that they'll be a bottom of the roster player, at best.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
If Gaborik has no future here, I think the best option to get his contract off the books is to waive him, send him to Ontario, and let him decide whether he wants to spend the next three years in the minors or agree to a contract termination and go back to play in Europe where he can still get paid.

Reactions: Reaper45

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Tavares is a pipe dream.

Voynov is not coming back.

Carter will be the only deadline acquisition.

Blake will be active at the deadline.From what I'm hearing in LW help not Top 4 defensemen.Bernstein for what it worth is reporting Voynov is applying to come back.
IMG_1232.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If Tavares comes out west as a UFA, he will be one of the few marquee players to sign with a west coast team.

Scott Niedermayer is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, and the Ducks had the added benefit of already having his brother on the roster.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA

I've been going after Tatar for 1 year plus now. He'd be perfect winger for Kopitar.

Tatar--Kopitar--Brown
Pearson--Kempe--Toffoli
Iafallo--Carter--Gaborik
Lewis--Amaido--Brodzinski

I just don't know what Detroit would want.

2nd + Shore + prospect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad