2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
As bad as this team needs a top 4 D, no deal >>> bad deal. I hope something comes along but I'm hoping Blake doesn't force something.

Agree, but only to a certain extent. Vilardi and Amadio may be here next year--so there's some cheap young forward depth. But unless LaDue or Gravel or someone else takes a big step forward, we still have a gaping hole in our top-4 that's been there since 2015 and has been our achilles heel. If you can make a hockey trade for a longer-term solution there, I think you have to (though obviously we're about to see if LaDue can channel Slava Voynov for a little bit at least).

AmadiosAmigos

Oct 27, 2010
Way too much for Phaneuf. How about they take back Clifford's bad contract if we are taking Phaneuf.... and I know you like him KC but it has to balance out somewhere.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Way too much for Phaneuf. How about they take back Clifford's bad contract if we are taking Phaneuf.... and I know you like him KC but it has to balance out somewhere.
I would rather get rid of andy then clifford but if it would balance the money Clifford could go if he had to I just don't see it necessary however

Also if no Clifford to play in bottom six your stuck with andy as your forward that plays physical and how well did that work out while Clifford was injured ?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Phaneuf no goals since October 26th, averaging 20:32 of ice time which is low for him, 2:00 on the PP and 2:10 on the PK which is surprising. If you make a deal for Phaneuf at this stage of his career it has to be a steal for the Kings, not much going the other way, salary retained. You pair him with Doughty and hope his numbers increase, the Kings do like to run a stationary Dman PP with slap shots from the point and that is what he is good at, or was good at at one time in his career.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
If they were able to add Karlsson, with Ottawa probably retaining something, I'm guessing that's just for this and next year. All in, and then at least one of the two leaves, and you live with not getting anything for it. Other than possibly a Cup or two.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It could've happen except for Teubert :laugh:. My god, it would take a Kings ransom in both acquiring him, and signing him for it to work.

A classic example of why you don’t draft for need is Teubert. I get the logic of everything planned cane to fruition... Lombardi had a grand plan that Teubert and Hickey would become his #2 pairing behind Doughty and Johnson. He envisioned a top 4 like the Avs had with Bourque (Doughty), Blake (Johnson), Foote (Teubert), and Skoula (Hickey).

He kept suggesting Teubert would be like Bryan Marchment. I guess Deano just didn’t envision that he’d be playing that role in the German league.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
A classic example of why you don’t draft for need is Teubert. I get the logic of everything planned cane to fruition... Lombardi had a grand plan that Teubert and Hickey would become his #2 pairing behind Doughty and Johnson. He envisioned a top 4 like the Avs had with Bourque (Doughty), Blake (Johnson), Foote (Teubert), and Skoula (Hickey).

He kept suggesting Teubert would be like Bryan Marchment. I guess Deano just didn’t envision that he’d be playing that role in the German league.

To be fair, that was a trend at the time that was driving many here and elsewhere crazy--drafting 'defensive' d-men with high picks. Did any of them actually stick? Teubert, McIlrath, Gormley, Tinordi...Even Oleksiak has struggled to fit, and Forbort kind of fits that, even though he was seen as more two way. Gudbrandson was #3 OA behind Hall and Seguin! Don't forget Schenn before Teubert in the same draft!

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Still no Muzzin today per Rosen.

"Jake Muzzin (IR/upper-body) is not on the ice at practice. Alex Iafallo has moved back to the left of Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown. Kevin Gravel has been recalled, though Jonny Brodzinski remains in Ontario. The lines appear to show Iafallo-Kopitar, Brown, Pearson-Kempe-Toffoli, Gaborik-Shore-Lewis and a consortium of Clifford-Jokinen-Mitchell-Andreoff up front and Gravel-Doughty, MacDermid-Martinez and Forbort-Folin on the back end with Oscar Fantenberg skating as an extra defenseman."

Kinda surprised no LaDue yet given all the noise before the bye week, but we ARE playing the Ducks tomorrow, so MacDermid in the lineup can be theoretically useful.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
Funny how the guys on Hockey Central were talking about places Karlsson would be traded to and LA was brought up. Made me laugh.

The thought of both guys signing with the Kings for 180 mil combined is just hilarious.
Like how John Tavares someone keeps getting linked to the Kings. How in the world are the Kings going to afford Kopitar, Tavares, and Doughty all at $10+ million?

It could've happen except for Teubert :laugh:. My god, it would take a Kings ransom in both acquiring him, and signing him for it to work.
Drafted Voynov that year too in the 2nd round.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
Funny how the guys on Hockey Central were talking about places Karlsson would be traded to and LA was brought up. Made me laugh.

The thought of both guys signing with the Kings for 180 mil combined is just hilarious.

Well if you wanted to make a run this and mortgage the future.. I actually brought this up in another thread.
Long term it probably would suck but boy it would be a blast for a year and a half

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Still no Muzzin today per Rosen.

"Jake Muzzin (IR/upper-body) is not on the ice at practice. Alex Iafallo has moved back to the left of Anze Kopitar and Dustin Brown. Kevin Gravel has been recalled, though Jonny Brodzinski remains in Ontario. The lines appear to show Iafallo-Kopitar, Brown, Pearson-Kempe-Toffoli, Gaborik-Shore-Lewis and a consortium of Clifford-Jokinen-Mitchell-Andreoff up front and Gravel-Doughty, MacDermid-Martinez and Forbort-Folin on the back end with Oscar Fantenberg skating as an extra defenseman."

Kinda surprised no LaDue yet given all the noise before the bye week, but we ARE playing the Ducks tomorrow, so MacDermid in the lineup can be theoretically useful.
He later listed him as day to day. But with the full week off they really couldn't even evaluate him. Think he'll be back soon they just needed him to skate to know that he's ok.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
To be fair, that was a trend at the time that was driving many here and elsewhere crazy--drafting 'defensive' d-men with high picks. Did any of them actually stick? Teubert, McIlrath, Gormley, Tinordi...Even Oleksiak has struggled to fit, and Forbort kind of fits that, even though he was seen as more two way. Gudbrandson was #3 OA behind Hall and Seguin! Don't forget Schenn before Teubert in the same draft!

Lombardi admitted to me and a friend that they drafted Teubert to build team toughness.

Had nothing to do with him being a defensive d-man. It was a need for toughness, which is a terrible need to address, especially at the draft.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Was hoping for a Mitchell type as player at best as soon as Forbort didnt score a single goal in college after his draft year. He seemed to have an offensive touch with the National Under 18 team the year before.

Too bad they wasted two more high picks with these big defensive defensemen in Cernak and Lintuniemi.

As Dutchman I obviously wanted Daniel Sprong instead of Cernak. A miracle this kid got drafted so late.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If we had the option to take Tavares or Karlsson, I'd take EK.

I still consider forbort to be a failure in terms of where he was drafted. He's a 5-6 defenseman on good teams, and on a very solid team he doesn't make the cut imo.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Like how John Tavares someone keeps getting linked to the Kings. How in the world are the Kings going to afford Kopitar, Tavares, and Doughty all at $10+ million?

You trade Carter for cheap young assets, probably Pearson too assuming Kempe can take his spot, and then start dinking and dunking cheaper contracts like Lewis if need be. The first answer would always be Brown or Gaborik, but we know the deal there. If the cap goes up, you get a little extra room. It could be done, but Carter would almost certainly have to go. Of course now he's hurt, and you never know how the slice on his leg may alter his skating, so you might not get as much for him as you might have previously. Muzzin or Martinez might have to go too.

Complicated, but if you really wanted Tavares, and he wanted to play here, you probably could make it happen.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Would be very pissed if Blake gets Gudbranson.

I hope we go after a two way defenseman.

Voynov come back.

Kings need to make smart moves and not sign another pylon.

Any updates about whitecloud?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
But LaDue is a top 4 defenceman, as per the mayor’s cringeworthy round table appearance.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Imagine other teams trying to defend against Karlsson and Doughty.But seriously,what would you trade for Oliver Ekman-Larsson?I believe he is making 6 mil.Not sure if he has any term left after this season tho.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad