2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I am no longer sure Muzzin or Martinez can carry the 2nd pairing. Ideally, Muzzin would go back to playing with Doughty. This means you are really looking for a 2D/3D if you want to make a legit run.

Agreed, and we've already seen what they look like together

U5dr1yg8Pf4TTgEMTEfmkkNyggcmRWZ_1680x8400

That being said, most of the true competitors who will be looking for rentals are ok in their top 4 and will be looking for offensive help. I agree that we probably can't/won't 'beat' other offers, but I actually don't think there will be that much competition for the type of d-man we're after (they'll cost a premium on their own regardless).

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
Still don't think the Kings have the assets to do much with the blue line. Other teams have more to offer.

While this is true...the other teams would have to be okay trading those better assets for said player. But just like us Kings fans not wanting to move Vilardi or Clague for a rental or a not needed asset. The other team probably wouldn't want to move their guys either. Thus, leveling the playing field back to our assets.

Other teams untradeable assets>Kings tradeable assets

Kings tradeable assets>/=other teams tradable assets

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I am no longer sure Muzzin or Martinez can carry the 2nd pairing. Ideally, Muzzin would go back to playing with Doughty. This means you are really looking for a 2D/3D if you want to make a legit run.
I wouldn't be against trading any of them except Doughty for an upgrade at defense. Doughty is the only untouchable. Any other improvement is welcomed for me on the back end if we have to add for a better player so be it. This team needs better high end talent on the back end at any cost at this point.

With that said pls come back Voynov.

Reactions: deaderhead28

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Our traded deadline pick up will be a player we are very familiar with. Jeff Carter.

If this is true, then Kings are 1 and done in the playoffs.Doesn't fill the two holes on this team to contend for the cup.The Kings need desperately to fill the top 4 defensemen hole and patch the top 6 with a decent depth fwd.Got to have depth on this team to contend.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
If this is true, then Kings are 1 and done in the playoffs.Doesn't fill the two holes on this team to contend for the cup.The Kings need desperately to fill the top 4 defensemen hole and patch the top 6 with a decent depth fwd.Got to have depth on this team to contend.

Yup kings haven't done anything besides sekera to replace Voynov and we've seen how bad that failure was.

Reactions: deaderhead28

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
This is a bit laughable. Last time I checked Carter was a top 6 forward. Now the D is still an issue but even with all the problems this team still has the number 1 D in the league while on paper it shouldn't.
Carter gives this team so serious options. Do we move him to wing and let kempe stay at the number 2 center. Move Carter in at center moving kempe down a line. If iafallo gets back up to the top line this one is just crazy. Having kempe with Gaborik on his wing on the 3rd line makes our 3rd a serious scoring line.
Or if iafallo doesn't get back kempe could move back to the wing in a top 6 or even the 3rd line.
Carter totally charges this team up front as long as he's healthy and nobody else goes down.
But I also thought losing Carter this long would sink this team and they have proven me wrong.

Reactions: funky and go4hockey

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
This is a bit laughable. Last time I checked Carter was a top 6 forward. Now the D is still an issue but even with all the problems this team still has the number 1 D in the league while on paper it shouldn't.
Carter gives this team so serious options. Do we move him to wing and let kempe stay at the number 2 center. Move Carter in at center moving kempe down a line. If iafallo gets back up to the top line this one is just crazy. Having kempe with Gaborik on his wing on the 3rd line makes our 3rd a serious scoring line.
Or if iafallo doesn't get back kempe could move back to the wing in a top 6 or even the 3rd line.
Carter totally charges this team up front as long as he's healthy and nobody else goes down.
But I also thought losing Carter this long would sink this team and they have proven me wrong.

What's laughable is the fact Ive broken this whole thing down in depth and explained that these roster holes. i.e. Top 6 fwd and Top 4 defensemen are with Carter on this team multiple times.But I understand that not everyone reads all the threads on here everyday and misses posts causing a misunderstand.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Honest question.

1) What are you gonna do when the Kings does not fill your two holes and still end up in the Western Conference finals. You're still gonna tell us all, I told you so ?

2) What are you gonna do when the Kings does fill your two holes and end up losing in the first
round ?

The chances the Kings are any other team win the Cup are slim. So basically I have a feeling you will never give it a rest and will continue to complain about the Kings shortcomings next season again. Am I right ?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What's laughable is the fact Ive broken this whole thing down in depth and explained that these roster holes. i.e. Top 6 fwd and Top 4 defensemen are with Carter on this team multiple times.

No, you haven't. because every time you're questioned on how to solve that, you say that's everyone else's job.

You say there are roster holes, are told why having Carter back gives this team insane offensive depth, then you double down without proposing a solution.

I don't think you'll find many (any?) that will disagree with you on the defensive depth right now, but this team has some serious firepower up front with Carter.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
What's laughable is the fact Ive broken this whole thing down in depth and explained that these roster holes. i.e. Top 6 fwd and Top 4 defensemen are with Carter on this team multiple times.
And I flat out disagree as do many others. At the beginning of the year I would have agreed. But Carter fixes the holes up front.

Reactions: funky

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
No, you haven't. because every time you're questioned on how to solve that, you say that's everyone else's job.

You say there are roster holes, are told why having Carter back gives this team insane offensive depth, then you double down without proposing a solution.

Raccoon Ive indeed talked and covered this in depth every time someone makes these failed accusations.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

I don't think we have a forward problem at all. We have a defense issue.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
And I flat out disagree as do many others. At the beginning of the year I would have agreed. But Carter fixes the holes up front.

Some disagree with your opinion as well and that's ok.Carters injury caused a third hole.Carter coming back doesn't fill three holes or the two already on this roster before he got hurt.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
I don't think we have a forward problem at all. We have a defense issue.

This team has lacked a credible thirdline center and top 4 defensemen depth the last few seasons and many of us have pointed this out and were attacked.Its funny now some are finally willing to admit the top 4 defensemen hole after a few seasons.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This team has lacked a credible thirdline center and top 4 defensemen depth the last few seasons and many of us have pointed this out and were attacked.Its funny now some are finally willing to admit the top 4 defensemen hole after a few seasons.

Yeah, that's what our issue was last year, a third line center and a top four defenseman.

I've run over the numbers ad nauseum--our bottom six was better than NHL average last year. Our top six was abysmal. Our defense as a group was top notch. And our Conn Smythe winning goaltender missed 5/6 of the season.

The Voynov hole was never filled and I don't know anyone who has suggested otherwise, they've only said--as Tsanuri said above and I agree--that they've performed in the top tier all these years regardless.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, that's what our issue was last year, a third line center and a top four defenseman.

I've run over the numbers ad nauseum--our bottom six was better than NHL average last year. Our top six was abysmal. Our defense as a group was top notch. And our Conn Smythe winning goaltender missed 5/6 of the season.

The Voynov hole was never filled and I don't know anyone who has suggested otherwise, they've only said--as Tsanuri said above and I agree--that they've performed in the top tier all these years regardless.

Standings and stats in regular season and playoffs are two different animals,see the 2012 team.2012 barley made the playoffs and The Carter trade filled a top 6 need and Dean brought in some fresh blood into the line up and this team blew away their opponents that were higher seeds and had better stats.Its not always about standings and it's not always about stats to prove a true contender.Its the personnel and personalities and depth and leadership,and experience that win cups.Lets also add a lil luck.Theres so much that goes into it then just stats and standing positions at the end of the season.This team lacks experience and leadership like the 2012/2014 teams had.The depth isn't the same either.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
When healthy, here's my roster evaluation:

Pearson - Kopitar - Brown = Top-six LW and RW, Elite 1C
Iafallo - Carter - Toffoli = Versatile middle six winger, Elite 2C/Low-end 1C, 1RW
Gaborik - Kempe - Lewis = Scoring middle six winger, scoring middle six C, versatile middle six winger
Jokinen-Shore-Mitchell = Versatile bottom sixer with great IQ, elite 4C, versatile bottom sixer
Clifford, Andreoff = Clifford is possession and grit

Doughty - Muzzin = best in the game, great complementary 2D or 3D
Martinez - Folin = two very good 4Ds, need an upgrade here
Forbort - Gravel = two very good 5Ds, could use an upgrade here via Martinez moving down or LaDue picking up slack, needs better puck movement
MacDermid, LaDue, Fantenberg--Fantenberg is a useful redundancy right now, LaDue is a wild card, MacDermid needs to grow but we don't have that luxury at this stage of the season.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I respect your opinion,i totally disagree, but at lease it's a civil debate or discussion.:thumbu:

For sure man but this is where I'm at, I think the Kings can solve that internally which is why I think they shouldn't waste assets on something they can fix by next year.

Defense however I don't think we can fix internally which is why assets should be used on that only IMO.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Standings and stats in regular season and playoffs are two different animals,see the 2012 team.

Don't be a hypocrite. You can't use '2012' as your argument when your whole line of reasoning has been "this team is not a true contender."

Otherwise, you'd be fine with calling up LaDue and like Amadio and Mersch and calling it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki