2017-18 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
No way am I trading a 1st for Mike Green. Tatar would be great with Kopitar, but I don’t see how we can fit another player into our top six. We’re paying Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Gaborik, Toffoli, and Pearson top six dollars. We need them to play like it (which they mostly have).

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
No way am I trading a 1st for Mike Green. Tatar would be great with Kopitar, but I don’t see how we can fit another player into our top six. We’re paying Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Gaborik, Toffoli, and Pearson top six dollars. We need them to play like it (which they mostly have).

Yeah, Brown and Gaborik have changed that whole equation this year. If Pearson can get going, and Carter can produce after coming back, there's no need to add a scoring forward. There might be a want, because you can never have enough, but it's lower on the list.

Unfortunately, the Kings biggest needs, another center and more importantly a defenseman, are in the tougher positions to fill. Plus, the team is in a weird place. If you knew Brown and Gaborik could keep producing this way for another year or two, then you don't have to go all in this year. They're both scoring at a 30 goal rate. However, how long is the pixie dust going to stay afloat? Say a 1st for Green is going for it. If they don't go for it this year, and next year Brown and Gaborik stumble, you just wasted another season, a productive one this time, and then those guys will be yet another year old after next season. If you go for it this year, and it doesn't work, and things fall apart, you screwed yourself for the future.

Blake's got a big decision coming up in a few weeks. Since the team is at least competitive this year, I hope he goes for it. They've wasted a couple years already, it would suck to let another one go by without giving them a better chance. I don't know if Green would be the answer, but you can only work with what you have available.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Trade for Mike Green and Tomas Tatar, using our 1st or 2nd in this years draft, Campbell(Detroit’s goalie situation is bad), and one or two of Ladue/Brodzinski/Amadio

Tatar-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Gaborik-Kempe-Lewis
Clifford/Jokinen-Mitchell-Shore(faceoff % is weak)

Iafallo to Ontario and Andreoff to waivers/Ontario

Muzzin-Doughty
Forbort-Green
Martinez-Folin
MacDermid/Fantenberg
Yuck that's a lot to give up.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, Brown and Gaborik have changed that whole equation this year. If Pearson can get going, and Carter can produce after coming back, there's no need to add a scoring forward. There might be a want, because you can never have enough, but it's lower on the list.

Unfortunately, the Kings biggest needs, another center and more importantly a defenseman, are in the tougher positions to fill. Plus, the team is in a weird place. If you knew Brown and Gaborik could keep producing this way for another year or two, then you don't have to go all in this year. They're both scoring at a 30 goal rate. However, how long is the pixie dust going to stay afloat? Say a 1st for Green is going for it. If they don't go for it this year, and next year Brown and Gaborik stumble, you just wasted another season, a productive one this time, and then those guys will be yet another year old after next season. If you go for it this year, and it doesn't work, and things fall apart, you screwed yourself for the future.

Blake's got a big decision coming up in a few weeks. Since the team is at least competitive this year, I hope he goes for it. They've wasted a couple years already, it would suck to let another one go by without giving them a better chance. I don't know if Green would be the answer, but you can only work with what you have available.

You make an excellent point here, and given the way Robitaille and Blake sold themselves and their vision of the team to AEG, they have no choice but to go for it this season.

I don't necessarily share their view, but it seems to be the most logical path for them to take. You can't count on this kind of season from Quick and Kopitar either ever again. It may happen, but as they get older the odds against it increase.

And you're right this core has already wasted the last three seasons.

It's a complete unknown, but maybe Vilardi can give the Kings a shot in the arm either as a top six winger or 3C next year. It would be great if he makes it as a center, but it's asking a lot of a rookie to handle the defensive responsibilities of a 3C.

Last edited:

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Amadio, Campbell, and a 2nd rounder for Tatar and Green.

Would that get it done, and is that too much/not enough?

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Obviously not nearly enough. Detroit will laugh at that.

Somebody is desperate enough to give a 1st for Green and Tatar is a top 6 player in the mold of Pearson.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah no way around it, Green is getting a 1st.

Also potentially no Muzzin tonight, banged up....should be a laugher tonight.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Hate him all you want, Muzzin to IR is a bad thing.
Actually in this case it is no big deal.
IR is for at least a week and after tonight we go into our bye week. So it means being able to activate a player without a move.
So it's a one week delay as long as that is why they did it and not that he is actually injured enough to really go onto IR.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Blake suggested in his comments today on lakingsinsider that he is eyeing to upgrade our blue line, but wants to see LaDue in action before a move is made. Should be interesting to see if he pulls the trigger on a deal at the deadline.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Just STOP....
Amadio is piecing it all together in Ontario and you want to ship out the 3C we badly need??? NO

Agree. Amadio has 8 goals and 20 assists in 26 games, including points in 13 straight games and was AHL player of the month for the entire league in Dec. He's only 21. He's an asset, along with Vilardi, Clague, and Petersen I would not consider moving. All this after a slow start to his AHL season, then missing 8 games due to his NHL call up. I like Blake's philosophy about not mortgaging the future. Does completely rule out moving players or picks, but I think he learned a lot from watching the mistakes his former boss made.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Agree. Amadio has 8 goals and 20 assists in 26 games, including points in 13 straight games and was AHL player of the month for the entire league in Dec. He's only 21. He's an asset, along with Vilardi, Clague, and Petersen I would not consider moving. All this after a slow start to his AHL season, then missing 8 games due to his NHL call up. I like Blake's philosophy about not mortgaging the future. Does completely rule out moving players or picks, but I think he learned a lot from watching the mistakes his former boss made.

Let's see if he maintains this philosophy through the deadline.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Let's see if he maintains this philosophy through the deadline.

I'm intrigued to see how this goes, especially because no one here expected the team to be in this position halfway home.

I'm not sure how confident Blake and co. were either, though everything they've said is consistent with their expectations, they thought this would be a playoff team. Do they go for it hardcore? Sit pat and just bring up kids like LaDue? Or somewhere in the middle, trading assets for long-term solutions (example: Clague, picks for Tanev)? No matter what they do, it will be a signal of direction.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think if Blake does make a trade that is for futures, it won't be for a player on his last year of a contract. I won't be against a good fair trade for a player with a few years left.

With what hes said he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to sell the future for a few months rental.

Where'd you see Blake's comment about LaDue?

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think if Blake does make a trade that is for futures, it won't be for a player on his last year of a contract. I won't be against a good fair trade for a player with a few years left.

With what hes said he doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to sell the future for a few months rental.

Where'd you see Blake's comment about LaDue?

January 6 notes: Folin activated; Muzzin IR; LaDue's time coming; Clague notes - LA Kings Insider

I also think it appears Blake wants a good look at LaDue, but it sounds like he's open to making a bigger add if need be.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Still don't think the Kings have the assets to do much with the blue line. Other teams have more to offer.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
January 6 notes: Folin activated; Muzzin IR; LaDue's time coming; Clague notes - LA Kings Insider

I also think it appears Blake wants a good look at LaDue, but it sounds like he's open to making a bigger add if need be.

Thanks for the link my friend!

Interesting read, would love to see Paul get another chance and succeed, but it seems like he will have a short time to prove himself before the deadline.

Should be interesting to see what they do to the defense.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
What if the 3rd line center of our dreams for the trade deadline is already in our system?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
...im sure all teams have enough assets for a middle pairing defenseman.

I am no longer sure Muzzin or Martinez can carry the 2nd pairing. Ideally, Muzzin would go back to playing with Doughty. This means you are really looking for a 2D/3D if you want to make a legit run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $656.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki