2016 World Cup of Hockey II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Kinda crazy, but...

Marchand - Krejci - Bergeron
beleskey - Backes - Pasta
XXX - Spooner - XXX
4th line

I wonder if Julien saw the way that Bergeron is just as effective on the wing as he is at center and would consider using him in a Pavelski-type role..a pseudo C/RW to allow Spooner to come up between he and Marchand. Let the Backes line get the majority of the defensive zone assignments and free the Bergeron and Krejci lines.

Marchand -- Spooner -- Bergeron

Heinen -- Krejci -- Pasta

Beleskey -- Backes -- Czarnik

Kuraly -- Moore -- Nash/Hayes

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I wonder if Julien saw the way that Bergeron is just as effective on the wing as he is at center and would consider using him in a Pavelski-type role..a pseudo C/RW to allow Spooner to come up between he and Marchand. Let the Backes line get the majority of the defensive zone assignments and free the Bergeron and Krejci lines.

Marchand -- Spooner -- Bergeron

Heinen -- Krejci -- Pasta

Beleskey -- Backes -- Czarnik

Kuraly -- Moore -- Nash/Hayes

Bergy takes 90% of the faceoffs and then moves to a wing-esque role once the play starts flowing. I'd be fine with that

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Bergy takes 90% of the faceoffs and then moves to a wing-esque role once the play starts flowing. I'd be fine with that

They would have to swap positioning on defense as well. Don't think it would be worth the downgrade there. Spooner playing on their wing would make more sense.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I really hope these Bergeron to the wing suggestions are in jest. Canada is a super team with like 500 natural centers. Bergeron is arguably the most effective/efficient center in the league; moving him to wing is absolutely asinine. Faceoffs are a minuscule part of why he's so effective as a center.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Honestly I was skeptical heading in but this tournament exceeded my expectations for pile of reasons. Quality entertainment all around.

Time to rename Marchand "money" instead of those other nicknames. If it weren't for a late goal in game 1, he would of had the tying AND winning goals in Game 1, and the comeback winner in Game 2.

Combine that with a new contract (at a great AAV) and this has been a fantastic week for Marchand. Hopefully now he's earned some respect, and won't be the most hated player in the sport. Probably stepped up to 2nd most hated at least.

Not to mention Bergeron having a very strong tournament of his own, and being a big part of one of the best lines the sport has ever seen really if you look at what they did in this tournament. 25 points between the three of them in 6 games. Unreal. Bergeron just keeps adding to his trophy case full of hockey hardware.

Hopefully we can put to bed this whole "Chara is too old, he's cooked, nonsense". Game 1 brutal turnover aside, he had a very strong tournament.

And even our old friend Seidenberg was able to show the hockey world he is still capable of playing in the world's best hockey league, and found himself a guaranteed contract.

All around, a great couple weeks for Bruins and Bruin fans.
I am most pleased that Chara had a good tournament .

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Bergeron adds another championship title to his career total, now at seven. Six Gold championships representing Canada and a Stanley Cup, Impressive.

2004 IIHF World Ice Hockey Championships: World Ice Hockey gold
2005 IIHF World U20 Championships: World Ice Hockey gold, MVP
2010 Winter Olympics: Olympic gold
2010–11: won Stanley Cup with Boston Bruins
2012 Spengler Cup: won with Team Canada
2014 Winter Olympics: Olympic Gold
2016 World Cup of Hockey Gold

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I really hope these Bergeron to the wing suggestions are in jest. Canada is a super team with like 500 natural centers. Bergeron is arguably the most effective/efficient center in the league; moving him to wing is absolutely asinine. Faceoffs are a minuscule part of why he's so effective as a center.

This.

100%.

When Bergeron hits 38-39 and is still good but is in the stage of his career Thornton is now and is a tad too slow to be himself and perennial Selke guy it might be a good idea since he'd likely still be excellent and a star at wing.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Chalk it up to WCH giddiness of seeing our boys play well. Some boredom too.

Although I will readily admit, I have been a huge proponent of putting Spooner on a line with Bergeron and Marchand, either on the wing or as the center. This shelters Spooner and gives Marchand/Bergeron a player that can keep up with them offensively while giving our third line the facelift it sorely needed with Backes and the wingers of the coaches choice ( Beleskey and XXXXX ).

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I've just seen a non-Bruin rename Marchand the 'little ball of great'. I'm sure it won't take him long to resume normal service though :laugh:

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
International rules. It's only debateable if contact was made, which I'm pretty sure it was.

That was the worst call all tournament in a tied game less than 2 mins to go, Doughty was a follow through after trying to clear the puck and the shaft part of his stick barely and I mean just barely grazed the top part of his helmet and Rieder really sold it grabbing his face like he got hurt. That was only something you would see a Habs player doing in the NHL. Total garbage he is the one that should have been called for his over the top embellishment. Karma came through though as Marchand got the short handed goal. Just seconds before that in my mind I was thinking that could happen as Marshy is great short handed.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
That was the worst call all tournament in a tied game less than 2 mins to go, Doughty was a follow through after trying to clear the puck and the shaft part of his stick barely and I mean just barely grazed the top part of his helmet and Rieder really sold it grabbing his face like he got hurt. That was only something you would see a Habs player doing in the NHL. Total garbage he is the one that should have been called for his over the top embellishment. Karma came through though as Marchand got the short handed goal. Just seconds before that in my mind I was thinking that could happen as Marshy is great short handed.

Or...it could be that the refs regretted the Kopitar call a bit and were going to look for something to call on Canada (one of the play by play guys pointed this out). At first, I thought Kopitar's hold was pretty blatant (because of the arm off the stick), but when they showed the reverse angle, he didn't really do much of anything to Perry.

Also, I don't think it was karma :laugh:

More like two of the best in the NHL making a play.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Not Canadian (and severely pissed off at Team USA's play and results), but thrilled for Bergeron (my favorite player) and Marchand (my wife's favorite player).

I'm not expecting the Bruins to do much this season, so I'm happy Bergeron and Marchand got a taste of some success. They deserve it.

Team Canada is starting to remind me of the Soviet National Team from back in the day... almost too strong for anyone to beat. That is a great team they have up there. Hats off to them.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

me too, Spoons is still struggling on the dot, can`t keep rolling him out there to take faceoffs if he`s losing 75% of them

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
What's the take on Chara? Best players in world with speed and skills?

Looks to me like grind and injuries could take him down but skills looked like 2013-14

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
So Yea, World Cup of Hockey. Everyone at the top of their game.

Score ends 2-1 Canada, first goal and kept the lead through most of the game, Zdeno Chara #33 Boston Bruins for Team Europe

Heroically on an amazing powerplay tip is Patrice Bergeron #37 Boston Bruins to tie it up ... are we done, no.

On the shorthanded goal comes Brad Marchand # 63 Boston Bruins which becomes the game winner for team Canada.

Also, Sidney Crosby played.

:laugh: This made me smile.

Congrats Marchy !!

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
This tournament at the ACC made me proud of the fans at the TD Garden. The crowd in Boston is far louder & into the game then the much larger crowd at the ACC in Toronto.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Exactly, 11 of the 13 forwards were natural centers. But it makes no sense to put your best center on the wing.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Bergeron adds another championship title to his career total, now at seven. Six Gold championships representing Canada and a Stanley Cup, Impressive.

2004 IIHF World Ice Hockey Championships: World Ice Hockey gold
2005 IIHF World U20 Championships: World Ice Hockey gold, MVP
2010 Winter Olympics: Olympic gold
2010–11: won Stanley Cup with Boston Bruins
2012 Spengler Cup: won with Team Canada
2014 Winter Olympics: Olympic Gold
2016 World Cup of Hockey Gold

weak resume, draft bust:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad