2016 NHL Entry Draft (Part IV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
How can Pulj rise? He's finished playing for the year. Some scouts are even rating Laine above Mathews now. Both are playing at the worlds. I doubt either one drops below Pulj at this point. Can't see a scenario where that is possible TBH.

Did I mention Laine is the only right shot (more desireable at the draft table) of the top 6 forwards?

You're likely right, but I have read some scouts putting Pulj ahead of Laine, albeit fewer scouts.

Didn't know about the right shot thing. Interesting

Wedgeden

Mar 31, 2012
Picture of the year!

Screenshot_2016-05-01-16-07-38.png

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Anybody else catch this in the Lawless article? I'm often very critical of Chevy, but this is what I love reading. Tells me the front office is functional rather than some GM disregarding everything the scouts say.

“I watched Puljujärvi a lot at the under-18s and I’ll now head over to the world championship and hope to get to watch Laine. I’ve seen both players and so have our scouts. I’ll get to watch them again and ask a lot of questions and then our scouts will make the decision. It’s exciting. These are very good players we’re going to get to choose from.â€

This is what confirms my belief that the Jets will draft Puli. First, Chevy says he has watched Puli a lot. Yeah yeah, seen 'em both but I've watched Puli A LOT. So he's subtly steering his audience in that direction. The clincher is when he says the scouts will decide. Now that every man and his dog is saying the Jets will pick Laine, and wow he could be even better than Matthews, he's making it clear now that when the less popular pick is made, well... It was out of my hands. This is what the scouts wanted. What could I do?

Yep, I'm putting money on the Jets drafting Puli at #2. Well, not literally. I'm not that dumb. :)

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
This is what confirms my belief that the Jets will draft Puli. First, Chevy says he has watched Puli a lot. Yeah yeah, seen 'em both but I've watched Puli A LOT. So he's subtly steering his audience in that direction. The clincher is when he says the scouts will decide. Now that every man and his dog is saying the Jets will pick Laine, and wow he could be even better than Matthews, he's making it clear now that when the less popular pick is made, well... It was out of my hands. This is what the scouts wanted. What could I do?

Yep, I'm putting money on the Jets drafting Puli at #2. Well, not literally. I'm not that dumb. :)

That is over analyzing it a bit lol.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

He said he just watched Pulj a lot (in Grand Forks) and was getting on a plane soon to watch Matthews and Laine. How can that mean anything?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

I think there is more chance of Matthews dropping to #2, then the Jets reaching for Puli at #2. Laine's MVP playoff performance has pushed him closer to #1 range.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Few things I've learned about Laine this year.

Laine absolutely hates losing, and you can see it in games, he carried the whole team when it was needed, and he has said he has trained himself his whole life to be money on must win games, he loves playing them.

Both Pulju and Laine live and breath hockey, both are known for their training and Laine has said he wants to be the best player in the NHL and best player from this draft.

Laine also knows what his biggest weakness is, and his strenght coach has said their focus will be improving his skating, and 1st few steps, how to get more power to his 1st step.
His coach also said he is very raw physically stil, with ton of room to grow and develop, which makes what he has done this year alright, and the guy these days is 6'4 209lbs.

So out of all the posts after the draft win this is one of if not my favourite. I love guys that don't shy away from the spotlight and want to be the difference makers. I don't mind Laine's top end speed and its great they are focused on that quickness. We have all seen how Scheifele has transformed his skating. I love it when guys are highly driven and I am glad that is how Laine is wired.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I will say I am a Leaf fan first but Winnipeg is for sure my West coast team (I used to live in Flin Flon back in '98). This is the best outcome for me and while I agree Laine and Matthews are pretty close Leaf fans have been dreaming of a big top C to replace Sundin and I think Toronto has him in Matthews.

Laine is going to be a absolute perfect fit in Winnipeg, really excited to see how he does next year.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

Well, when we were doing worse in the standings and could have expected to draft 4-7 instead, it was possible that he fell to us. That could have been a reason to watch him more. Or the fact that he was playing just down the highway, while Laine was half a world away.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
If he's that driven to be the best, no doubt he'll figure out his skating. And when that happens, oh boy..

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I also like that that Laine has a bit of a personality and not a cliche regurgitating robot. Whether the NHL will beat that out of him when he lands in NA remains to be seen

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I also like that that Laine has a bit of a personality and not a cliche regurgitating robot. Whether the NHL will beat that out of him when he lands in NA remains to be seen

I know what you mean. In this case our media isnt too harsh on the team for the most part compared to the bigger Canadian cities. I think he will fit in really well here.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So out of all the posts after the draft win this is one of if not my favourite. I love guys that don't shy away from the spotlight and want to be the difference makers. I don't mind Laine's top end speed and its great they are focused on that quickness. We have all seen how Scheifele has transformed his skating. I love it when guys are highly driven and I am glad that is how Laine is wired.

I love players with Sisu, he has that special drive, he is willing to do whatever it takes to win, it's hard to explain but you can see it when he plays.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Man that just feeds into our team chemistry with guys like Wheeler and Scheif. So stoked about this draft.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Somewhat related: I may be reading between the lines a little too much, but his agent seems to think he's going to be a Jet (emphasis added):

The agent recently heard an analyst compare Laine and fellow Finnish winger Jesse Puljujarvi to Jari Kurri and Teemu Selanne. He wants the brakes pumped here.

“Really? Really? Seriously? It was meant as a compliment, but why don’t we say he stickhandles like Mario Lemieux while we’re at it. That’s unfair. They’re both exceptional players at their age. They’re 18. I think they’ll both be great NHL players, but… steps. Process,†Liut says.

:naughty:

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Thus just means Chevy was scouting the u-18 tournament in N Dak and Pulju played there but Laine didn't. Maybe they pick Pulju, but Chevy's statement can't be interpreted that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad