2016 NHL Entry Draft Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's a bonus that the draft has kind of evolved away from Matthews or bust...the top 15 looks sensational..

If you did deal away Buff and Ladd for a prospect and a first each, hoping one of the contenders gets knocked out in round 1..say the Washington Capitals ...and scoring a first rounder mid-round would be perfect...It wouldn't bother me in the least if we drafted 8th and walked away without a Finn or Matthews, if its, say, Keller and Chychrun..

Even the back 15 don't look to bad. There is some talent all the way to the back of the 2nd round and early 3rd even. Lot's of potential for hidden gems in the 2nd/3rd rounds.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
This is my Mid-January Mid-Season Top 30 so far.
The top end of the draft is actually easier to rank but the back end is crazy. The talent level drops but there are so many possible middling players in this draft it actually doesn't look to bad. Potential for a lot of hidden gems in there too.
I have a feeling this one will go down as a pretty deep draft considering the one it is following up but the difference in talent level is noticeable.
I'll compare it to my end of the season rankings to see who rises and falls in the back half of the season.

1. Auston Matthews - C - 6'2 - 198 - NLA
2. Jakob Chychrun - LHD - 6'2 - 194 - OHL
3. Jesse Puljujarvi - RW - 6'3 - 201 - Liiga
4. Patrick Laine - RW - 6'4 - 209 - Liiga
5. Matthew Tkachuk - LW - 6'1 - 194 - OHL
6. Olli Juolevi - LHD - 6'2 - 183 - OHL
7. Alex Nylander - RW - 6'0 - 176 - OHL
8. Mikhail Sergachyov - LHD - 6'2 - 205 - OHL
9. Pierre-Luc Dubois - C - 6'3 - 201 - QMJHL
10. Mike McLeod - C - 6'2 - 187 - OHL
11. Tyson Jost - C - 6'0 - 194 - BCHL
12. German Rubstov - C - 6'1 - 174 - MHL
13. Keiffer Bellows - C - 6'1 - 194 - USNTDP
14. Dante Fabbro - RHD - 6'1 - 185 - BCHL
15. Logan Brown - C - 6'6 - 218 - OHL
16. Clayton Keller - C - 5'10 - 170 - USNTDP
17. Julien Gauthier - RW - 6'4 - 225 - QMJHL
18. Max Jones - LW - 6'2 - 201 - OHL
19. Tyler Benson - LW - 6'0 - 201 - WHL
20. Charlie McAvoy- LHD - 6'0 - 205 - NCAA
21. Markus Niemelainen - LHD - 6'5 - 190 - OHL
22. Jake Bean - LHD - 6'1 - 172 - WHL
23. Sam Steel - C - 5'11 - 176 - WHL
24. Alex DeBrincat - C - 5'7 - 151- OHL
25. Riley Tuft - LW - 6'5 - 190 - USHL
26. Vitali Abramov - LW - 5'9 - 170 - QMJHL
27. Luke Kunin - C - 6'0 - 196 - NCAA
28. Dillon Dube - C - 5'11 - 181 - WHL
29. Carl Grundstrom - LW - 6'0 - 194 - SHL
30. Samuel Girard - LHD - 5'9 - 165 - QMJHL

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Two hockey teams, A and B.

One is better than the other. One has the higher odds in winning. The one with better odds will win more often, but not always.

You and I can guess what one is better, but it is merely a guess. Still, only one is better.
You can use evidence (both qualitative and quantitative) to make a more informed decision, since one is better it should give signs that it is.
However, you can still get it wrong even with an informed decision.

Draft models work because there IS a right and wrong answer on which player is more likely to work. PCS does not have every variable, so it is not right all the time, but it is right often because there is a right answer.

Empirically there will be a better choice between players, but I don't think anything exists yet that can identify that choice to the point where it should rule all of a GM's choices, or hold ultimate sway among closely ranked players. Draft models like PCS help because they give you more information for your draft guesses. The variables used in PCS -- how many are used? 9 or 10? -- might be more than the tip of the iceberg, they might even be most of the iceberg, but they aren't all of the iceberg. You can probably go back a few hundred years and find scientists, kings and popes who could give you 9 or 10 reasons why they knew definitively -- not guessing, but knew definitively -- that the earth was flat. Apart from obvious choices like McEichel and Matthews there's still going to be an amount of guesswork for GMs using PCS and whatever in-house methods they use. In many cases even you can't say that according to PCS, player X is better than player Y; you are limited to saying player X gives a higher probability of being better than player Y -- and that's only according to the criteria PCS has deemed worthy of consideration, and in proportions PCS has deemed appropriate. So passing up an organizational need among a group of closely ranked players because one of them is ranked marginally higher, in a system you admit yourself is imperfect, is too slavish an adherence to rote.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
The top end of the draft is actually easier to rank but the back end is crazy. The talent level drops but there are so many possible middling players in this draft it actually doesn't look to bad. Potential for a lot of hidden gems in there too.
I have a feeling this one will go down as a pretty deep draft considering the one it is following up but the difference in talent level is noticeable.
I'll compare it to my end of the season rankings to see who rises and falls in the back half of the season.

Saw Dillon Dube tonight, and Benson a few weeks ago.

I gotta say, Barzal went mid-round last year, he is two levels better than Benson and at least one better than Dube.

Not meant to knock your list, but the depth is not in the same place as last year.

Otherwise, nice work.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Saw Dillon Dube tonight, and Benson a few weeks ago.

I gotta say, Barzal went mid-round last year, he is two levels better than Benson and at least one better than Dube.

Not meant to knock your list, but the depth is not in the same place as last year.

Otherwise, nice work.

While it's true that Barzal went mid round, at this time last year he was projected to go top 5 in some rankings and definitely top 10 in others. His rankings dropped because he was injured for a large portion of the season. He also likely would have went higher if Boston didn't go off the board with 3 straight picks.
The Depth is not in the same place in terms of the middle of the draft but there are undoubtably some interesting picks up to the 3rd round, which would make this a deep draft compared to most years outside of 2015.
A large number of scouts think this draft could turn out to be very deep. We'll see in about 4-5 years how many of them become NHlers. I'm actually pretty excited about getting some extra 2nd rounders even if possible.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Nice thanks!

Lots of LHD, I will check this guy out now, see where the Jets fall comes season end. If Jets are not getting the top 4 forwards, the top 3 LHD looks mighty fine!

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Here's a interesting name; Yegor Babenko.

Has 2 years of full time juniors under his belt, came close to ppg in the MHL (4 points off) and is going PPG on Lethbridge. The catch is he's 5'8 and was draft eligible for a year now but im surprised no one took him.

I think he'd be a good pickup for the 7th round.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Has 2 years of full time juniors under his belt, came close to ppg in the MHL (4 points off) and is going PPG on Lethbridge. The catch is he's 5'8 and was draft eligible for a year now but im surprised no one took him.

Hmmmm ..... ? Same size as Gaudreau.

Too small. :sarcasm:

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Given where I hope we finish the regular season, I want Dante Fabbro. He has as much upside as any D in this draft but should be had ~10 spots after Chych.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
he's also only played hockey for 4 years according to elite. he's still learning so he's def worth it

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

I noticed him in the WHL stats leaders but haven't had the opportunity to see Lethbridge yet this season.
He is undoubtedly getting over looked a little, even though Lethbridge is one of the best teams in the Dub right now. Haven't seen a single list with him on it. His size shouldn't matter as much given the height of many of the other higher ranked forwards. Seems the Johnson-Gaudreau effect is helping scouts and teams over come height differences a little but still some guys get over looked.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Given where I hope we finish the regular season, I want Dante Fabbro. He has as much upside as any D in this draft but should be had ~10 spots after Chych.

I think the first reach we see could be a team reaching for one of Jost/Fabbro. Kids have a ton of talent.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Empirically there will be a better choice between players, but I don't think anything exists yet that can identify that choice to the point where it should rule all of a GM's choices, or hold ultimate sway among closely ranked players. Draft models like PCS help because they give you more information for your draft guesses. The variables used in PCS -- how many are used? 9 or 10? -- might be more than the tip of the iceberg, they might even be most of the iceberg, but they aren't all of the iceberg. You can probably go back a few hundred years and find scientists, kings and popes who could give you 9 or 10 reasons why they knew definitively -- not guessing, but knew definitively -- that the earth was flat. Apart from obvious choices like McEichel and Matthews there's still going to be an amount of guesswork for GMs using PCS and whatever in-house methods they use. In many cases even you can't say that according to PCS, player X is better than player Y; you are limited to saying player X gives a higher probability of being better than player Y -- and that's only according to the criteria PCS has deemed worthy of consideration, and in proportions PCS has deemed appropriate. So passing up an organizational need among a group of closely ranked players because one of them is ranked marginally higher, in a system you admit yourself is imperfect, is too slavish an adherence to rote.

The argument was: does organizational depth/need ever supersede BPA.

Theoretically you use need for tie breakers, but really I have never had, nor have seen anyone else have, two players considered identically equal.

You want to draft the best player available. Period.

You want this because draft picks are weighted lottery tickets. Not only is the best player likely garner you more value, but they are also more likely to actually give any value, since ceiling and safe is a related factor (exception: KHL factor).

In addition, so much can change in organizational needs 4-6 years down the road, when the average prospect enters the NHL as a regular. Look at the "your team in 5 years" thread in the main boards, no one is even close.

The perfection (or really lack thereof) of any model or even scouting is another discussion altogether really.

Once you combine all your information (qualitative factors from scouts and quantitative factors from models like PCS) you try to determine who are the best players. When you do that you are trying to maximize the chance that you are right. You are assuming player A is BPA and not player B. That's what you have decided. You do not go for B saying "hey all this energy and resources I put that assumes A>B may be wrong and B plays D and I need more D".

Yes, your assumption may be wrong, because there are factors not accounted for yet and ones that would be impossible to know yet (freak accidents, etc.). Going for B is considering yourself wrong.

Knowing that you COULD be wrong is different than assuming you ARE wrong.
Going for the need over what you believe to be BPA is doing the latter, you don't want to undermine your scouts and your analysts.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The argument was: does organizational depth/need ever supersede BPA.

Theoretically you use need for tie breakers, but really I have never had, nor have seen anyone else have, two players considered identically equal.

You want to draft the best player available. Period.

You want this because draft picks are weighted lottery tickets. Not only is the best player likely garner you more value, but they are also more likely to actually give any value, since ceiling and safe is a related factor (exception: KHL factor).

In addition, so much can change in organizational needs 4-6 years down the road, when the average prospect enters the NHL as a regular. Look at the "your team in 5 years" thread in the main boards, no one is even close.

The perfection (or really lack thereof) of any model or even scouting is another discussion altogether really.

Once you combine all your information (qualitative factors from scouts and quantitative factors from models like PCS) you try to determine who are the best players. When you do that you are trying to maximize the chance that you are right. You are assuming player A is BPA and not player B. That's what you have decided. You do not go for B saying "hey all this energy and resources I put that assumes A>B may be wrong and B plays D and I need more D".

Yes, your assumption may be wrong, because there are factors not accounted for yet and ones that would be impossible to know yet (freak accidents, etc.). Going for B is considering yourself wrong.

Knowing that you COULD be wrong is different than assuming you ARE wrong.
Going for the need over what you believe to be BPA is doing the latter, you don't want to undermine your scouts and your analysts.

You appear to be ignoring the uncertainty in rating 17-18 year old kids. If one kid is rated 92 out of 100 and another is rated 91 you obviously take 92 as the BPA. Thing is those ratings are +- 10. Completely made up numbers of course. But 92-91 is probably a reasonable representation of the gap from one draft position to the next and +- 10% is probably conservative. That makes them tied for all practical purposes. When there is a more clear distinction between the player at the top of your list then you take BPA. That certainly does happen. Islanders could have tossed a coin to choose between Barzal and Connor. Maybe they did. Connor was clearly the best player left after they took Barzal. Had they played different positions Islanders could have chosen by need.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
We're almost getting to a point where a top 5 looks very likely.

One of Matthews, Pulijujarvi, Laine, Tkachuk or Chyckrun. Nice.

Laine or Tkachuk would replace Ladd in far less years than his ask for contract term, I'm guessing. Connor would pick up some slack there as well on left side.

Matthews would give a #1 franchise Center with size and skill.

Pulijujarvi is more like Wheels. Likely Stafford's replacement and upgrade in a few year.

Chyckrun adds LH d depth and possible top pairing. Would replace a departed Buff in terms of minutes and use, in a couple of years, though likely not nearly as offensive.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
laineetu180116VVV_nh.jpg

Bring this man to Winnipeg.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Laine's shot is pretty unreal. Would love to have it. We got K. Connor too with his shot coming. We could probably start scoring some goals with players like that in the line up!

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't know why, but Tkachuk doesn't interest me. He'd be a nice pick, but I think at the (hypothetical) 5th I take Nylander or Juolevi.

Thank you.

Walt is an intriguing prospect but I feel like he is a complimentary asset and on the other side of a big line in the sand.

We are so landing him aren't we? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad