2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I would trade the #7 straight up for Trouba, assuming we could sign him for 3 years or more. I think it would cost more then just the pick to get Trouba. Young top 4D are at a premium which will create a bidding war if guys like Trouba are available.

Not a chance the Jets entertain any offer so low. The Hamilton trade last summer has skewed perspectives I think. He was not available on an open market AND Boston GM was widely panned for the terrible trade.

IF (yes that's a big if) Trouba is available teams will be willing to pay a premium.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
My preference would be to hand Yandle a blank check and keep all of our picks and prospects.
If we could do this, I would be more willing to role the dice on one of the big three dmen with our 7OA and hope they can develop on the farm. The risk doesn't seem as bad if we sign a good player without costing assets.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I should add that because the expansion is looming, I don't think it would be a good year to trade away farm team assets for players we may end up losing in the draft latter on. I am all in favor of signing UFA's but not too crazy about making trades this year considering we may lose them after just one season to an expansion yeam. So I hope we keep all our picks and sign UFA's. I think it would be our best asset management.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
From Sportsnet Gare Joyce

2. I thought Logan Brown might be a climber after the World U18 Championship, and that seems like a majority opinion at the combine.

Said one veteran scout, “There’s a premium for big centres and I think there’s a shot he goes in the top five. He was great at U18s and in the second half of the season. He’s almost 6-foot-7 and he might be that by the end of the summer. In his interview he told us that he doesn’t know if he has stopped growing yet. He was a good interview, funny kid, not really like his father (former NHLer Jeff Brown), who was not the most social guy.”

The younger Brown is “tall” but not “big” at this point. He’d be two full years in junior beyond his draft year. He’ll need to pad his frame and right now it looks like the metabolism to put on 25 pounds is going to take a while.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Again from Joyce

7. You might see B.C. defenceman Charlie McAvoy and Sarnia blue liner Jake Chychrun show up in the top ten of a few mock drafts. This seems to be a reach, according to a poll of scouts.

Said one veteran scout who had viewed McAvoy five times on top of the world juniors: “The defencmen with top-pair upside here are Juolevi and Sergachev. Chychrun is at best a No. 3 defenceman [on a winning team] down the line. McAvoy might be a bit more of a wild card. The choice between Chychrun and McAvoy will come down to whether you like McAvoy’s hockey sense or Chychrun’s physical tools. Either way, if they’re not top-pair defencemen, then how do you spend a top ten pick on them?”

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I hope we ask Christian Fischer for his input on both Brown and Sergachev. Always worth getting some added insight.

Kind of funny to see that Will Bitten was asked by all teams, basically, "wtf happened in Flint this year??".

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I hope we ask Christian Fischer for his input on both Brown and Sergachev. Always worth getting some added insight.

Kind of funny to see that Will Bitten was asked by all teams, basically, "wtf happened in Flint this year??".

I move closer to Sergachev as top D every day.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Same. He wants to be here (North America). He's playing in the OHL. He's learning English. He can play the right side. He'll play in the Memorial Cup next year. There's a lot to like.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I move closer to Sergachev as top D every day.

He seemed to do well at the combine, so we may end up with him at # 7 if Brown, DuBois, and Tkachuk are off the board. Of course another team may draft him ahead of us leaving us with Juolevi as BPA (as a D).

I think the next question would be whether Nylander, Jost, Keller, or McLeod are better #7 picks than Juolevi.

I'd be fine if we ended up with Sergachev or Juolevi and Fabbro or McAvoy in the first (depending on who else might fall to us).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He seemed to do well at the combine, so we may end up with him at # 7 if Brown, DuBois, and Tkachuk are off the board. Of course another team may draft him ahead of us leaving us with Juolevi as BPA (as a D).

I think the next question would be whether Nylander, Jost, Keller, or McLeod are better #7 picks than Juolevi.

I'd be fine if we ended up with Sergachev or Juolevi and Fabbro or McAvoy in the first (depending on who else might fall to us).

I think Jost and Keller would be hard to pass on. Jost especially.

Sergachev has been my main guy for months now but I'm starting to like what I hear about Chychrun. That being said, I'm leaning away from Juolevi. I'd love to see what Juolevi can do without a stacked team.

Read Sportsnet article that mentions Chychrun getting picked on top 10 would be a reach.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Does Max Jones ever play center or just LW? Will there be an opportunity for him to play center in London next year with the departure of Dvorak?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Does Max Jones ever play center or just LW? Will there be an opportunity for him to play center in London next year with the departure of Dvorak?

Might be a crappy choice but Cliff Pu will move up to top C position. Jones is a LW.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
D needs to be top priority. Sergachev or Juolevi with Fabbro would be a great way to go. They need a solid prospect that will very likely be a very good NHL player, and Sergachev fits the bill. Imagine if Edmonton passed on Yakupov and traded down to draft Trouba.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Same. He wants to be here (North America). He's playing in the OHL. He's learning English. He can play the right side. He'll play in the Memorial Cup next year. There's a lot to like.

He should be the best D in the draft, but the kid has a very slow motor on him, he'd deke out 2 guys with ease but he'd only be taking 3 steps which when the speed of the game increases it hurts his play, incredibly smart, and a good skater, but even when the games were close he'd barely step up his game, more that other players would step up and he'd stay around the same effort level. His ability to play the right side is only so he's able to get his one-timer off, everything else like his defence is weaker from it. Out of the 3 big D he's the worst defensively, and unless his effort level increases (didn't at the U-18 and barely in playoffs) then i personally fear he might bust or go to Russia if his nonchalant play doesn't translate well to the NHL

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Might be a crappy choice but Cliff Pu will move up to top C position. Jones is a LW.

Agreed, Jones will be second line LW behind Tkachuk next year for sure, his game would not translate to the center position very well in my opinion, He's a beast though, Similar prospect to Crouse but i like Jones's shot more. A lot of Lucic in his game (seriously doubt he becomes as effective as Lucic though).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Drop down to 9-10, pick up another 2 + 4 (to flyers) and take Sergacheven and one of Gauthier or Jones at 20?

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Sergachev has been my main guy for months now but I'm starting to like what I hear about Chychrun. That being said, I'm leaning away from Juolevi. I'd love to see what Juolevi can do without a stacked team.

Agree on Juolevi, Chychrun is getting hated on for having "low IQ" but he out produced a player who's getting praised for "playmaking and IQ" and on Sarnia who only scored 80% of the goals (65 less goals) London did.

Chychrun has a better shot, ability to carry the puck, defence, skating, ability to keep the put in the offensive zone, physical play and leadership than Juolevi who's just a better breakout passer and makes more low risk plays (very teachable quality). Which is one of the reasons that Sportsnet article made me laugh at their scouting department even more than i already do because they somehow think he has top pairing potential but Chychrun doesn't.
Chychrun has constantly increased and stepped up his play. Last year as a 16 year old he was astonishing, during the season this year when people hated on him after his return from surgury he finished almost PPG while being a defence first player, also in the playoffs he was absolutely incredible, and just had an amazing combine. He cannot catch a break from people hating on him, and then he has a bad 7 game tounry and everyone hates on him more but somehow Sergachev doesn't get any fingers pointed at him for his no show.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Drop down to 9-10, pick up another 2 + 4 (to flyers) and take Sergacheven and one of Gauthier or Jones at 20?
i wonder if Hanzal talk is indication they'll go C at 7 (Brown?) and focus on D at 20 and 37.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Chychrun is physically mature. Juolevi is not. Sergachev playing with 16 year olds on a team destined to get slaughtered.

Chychrun was awful at the most important scouting event of the year. Discount it all you want but a top 10 selection isn't happening. He's falling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad