2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Reports that Sean Day has looked just awful at the combine. His unmotivated on-ice play has carried over to the combine.

Sergachev, on the other hand, measured in 13 lbs. more than previously reported (207 lbs up to 220). And they're saying it's gained muscle. He's definitely putting the work in if that's the case.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I hope we can just trade the damned pick.

Trading Dylan Strome for Dougie Hamilton would've been idiotic.

Trading whatever warty "maybe" we're flipping a coin on at 7th for a real NHL D? Sign me the Feck up. Put my name down twice.

All depends on who it is and how much they cost to re-sign. Marco Scandella is not worth the 7th overall. Trouba or Barrie, sure, but I'm not sure either should be the highest paid player on the team right now.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Keller measures in a 5'10, taller than I thought he would be. He has some sublime skill, should be interesting to see where he goes

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Keller measures in a 5'10, taller than I thought he would be. He has some sublime skill, should be interesting to see where he goes

I hope he tacks on some mass, and another inch or two wouldn't hurt either, but when I watch him play, he never looks small. He's got great hands, but he doesn't play that shifty little guy game like Kane or Gaudreau. He's more similar to Giroux, in my viewings. Giroux is by no means a giant, but neither does he tend to be the first guy people think of when they picture an undersized scoring forward. I still think Keller ends up as a wing, though.

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario
I hope we DON'T trade the pick. If we do, I'd be disappointed with anything higher than 10.

If we trade it for a player, there is no garuntee they stay with us after the contract is over. I'd rather draft a player and have them longer with the draft than potentially losing them or another promising player due to the expansion.

Save these trades for another year.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I agree. This draft is really really important to the Coyotes. We can't screw this one up. As it stands now, Murphy is only top pairing because of chemistry with OEL. I would put Murphy in with the others you mentioned, and I don't think he will ever be a top pairing, ever.

I think Murphy had a coming out party at Worlds. His game is still growing. This is normally where I tease rt about that selection.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I thought it was interesting that one scout said about Sergachev "I think there’s a chance that he could be the best player in this whole draft eight or ten years from now. " He might be our best move.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I just peeked........ :amazed:
7 - Sean Day (out-of-date scouting report)
20 - Connor Bleackley redraft
37 - David Bernhardt from Sweden due to confusion about his parentage
57 - Edgars Kulda redraft
All the rest of the picks: 20 year old goalies from the NAHL
Reports that Sean Day has looked just awful at the combine. His unmotivated on-ice play has carried over to the combine.

Sergachev, on the other hand, measured in 13 lbs. more than previously reported (207 lbs up to 220). And they're saying it's gained muscle. He's definitely putting the work in if that's the case.
Sergachev at 7, Day in the third round. If Day ever finds and presses the "Serious" button, he's too big and too good skater to not be a stud.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I hope we DON'T trade the pick. If we do, I'd be disappointed with anything higher than 10.

If we trade it for a player, there is no garuntee they stay with us after the contract is over. I'd rather draft a player and have them longer with the draft than potentially losing them or another promising player due to the expansion.

Save these trades for another year.

I agree. Let's wait a year and see how the next crop of rookies do.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think Murphy had a coming out party at Worlds. His game is still growing. This is normally where I tease rt about that selection.

I think the way it looked like he had a coming out party was because of the US team and it's lack of depth.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I thought it was interesting that one scout said about Sergachev "I think there’s a chance that he could be the best player in this whole draft eight or ten years from now. " He might be our best move.

"There's a chance" is the operative word there. You could easily say the same thing about at least a half dozen other defenders, probably more. But Sergachev's upside is undeniable. He's got a great package of size, mobility, skill and assertiveness (at least offensively). But there are some major questions about his commitment in his own end, and as minimal as I think the "Russian factor" is, it's still a risk that North American-born players don't carry.

All that said, the sturdiest, most projectable thing in the Coyotes organization is OEL (as slick as Domi and Duclair looked this year, they'll still need to prove it wasn't a fluke), and Sergachev's playing style looks a lot like OEL's, namely his poise carrying the puck through the neutral zone and his ability and willingness to fire wristers on net from the blueline. In terms of complementing OEL, Sergachev is not the best option and would probably be used not just on a separate even strength pairing but on a separate powerplay unit, too. Definitely an exciting prospect, though.

Would Jost be similar to Turris when he was drafted?

Not exactly. Despite being a couple inches shorter than Turris, Jost already has 20-30 pounds on Turris when he was drafted. To say he's more physically developed is an understatement. Jost is also not quite the puck wizard that Turris was in the BCHL (and he lacks the gamebreaking shot that Turris had), but he's a very creative player in his own right and plays a more solid game overall. He could probably use a year in college and then a year in the AHL before making an NHL team (and for his own sake, hopefully in that order, unlike Turris's path). Because he'll be drafted out of the BCHL, he also has the option of going to the WHL for a year and then jumping to the AHL, unencumbered by the age restrictions players drafted from the CHL face.

I'd project him to actually be a slightly more productive NHL player than Turris has been so far, something in the 30-goal/40-assist range with effective two-way play. Could be a very effective wing, too.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
"There's a chance" is the operative word there. You could easily say the same thing about at least a half dozen other defenders, probably more. But Sergachev's upside is undeniable. He's got a great package of size, mobility, skill and assertiveness (at least offensively). But there are some major questions about his commitment in his own end, and as minimal as I think the "Russian factor" is, it's still a risk that North American-born players don't carry.

All that said, the sturdiest, most projectable thing in the Coyotes organization is OEL (as slick as Domi and Duclair looked this year, they'll still need to prove it wasn't a fluke), and Sergachev's playing style looks a lot like OEL's, namely his poise carrying the puck through the neutral zone and his ability and willingness to fire wristers on net from the blueline. In terms of complementing OEL, Sergachev is not the best option and would probably be used not just on a separate even strength pairing but on a separate powerplay unit, too. Definitely an exciting prospect, though.

Not exactly. Despite being a couple inches shorter than Turris, Jost already has 20-30 pounds on Turris when he was drafted. To say he's more physically developed is an understatement. Jost is also not quite the puck wizard that Turris was in the BCHL (and he lacks the gamebreaking shot that Turris had), but he's a very creative player in his own right and plays a more solid game overall. He could probably use a year in college and then a year in the AHL before making an NHL team (and for his own sake, hopefully in that order, unlike Turris's path). Because he'll be drafted out of the BCHL, he also has the option of going to the WHL for a year and then jumping to the AHL, unencumbered by the age restrictions players drafted from the CHL face.

I'd project him to actually be a slightly more productive NHL player than Turris has been so far, something in the 30-goal/40-assist range with effective two-way play. Could be a very effective wing, too.

I concur.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not exactly. Despite being a couple inches shorter than Turris, Jost already has 20-30 pounds on Turris when he was drafted. To say he's more physically developed is an understatement. Jost is also not quite the puck wizard that Turris was in the BCHL (and he lacks the gamebreaking shot that Turris had), but he's a very creative player in his own right and plays a more solid game overall. He could probably use a year in college and then a year in the AHL before making an NHL team (and for his own sake, hopefully in that order, unlike Turris's path).Because he'll be drafted out of the BCHL, he also has the option of going to the WHL for a year and then jumping to the AHL, unencumbered by the age restrictions players drafted from the CHL face.

I've seen some conflicting reports that the CHL agreement may also apply to Junior A players.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130816/BLOG12/130819886#Jujhar-Khaira-coming-to-camp

If anyone knows of examples of BCHL or other junior A players that ended up in the AHL their draft+1 season it would help to figure out if this article is accurate or not.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I've seen some conflicting reports that the CHL agreement may also apply to Junior A players.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130816/BLOG12/130819886#Jujhar-Khaira-coming-to-camp

If anyone knows of examples of BCHL or other junior A players that ended up in the AHL their draft+1 season it would help to figure out if this article is accurate or not.

I might have missed someone on this list, but my spot check couldn't find a single player drafted from the BCHL who then jumped to the CHL for one season before jumping to the AHL. Absence of proof isn't proof of absence, but that's not all that helpful. Might just not be any precedence either way.

EDIT: The closest I could find was Travis Zajac, who was drafted out of the BCHL in 2004, then played two full seasons at North Dakota but squeezed in a couple AHL games at the end of that second season, after signing a pro contract. But because his NCAA season was over, I'm not sure this is any proof (I believe he could have played in the AHL at the conclusion of a CHL season under the same circumstances). He played in the NHL from the start of the following season.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Zajac was drafted the after his first eligibility if I'm not mistaken.

I think you're right, but he was drafted out of the BCHL either way and then played in the NCAA the following season.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Zajac was drafted the after his first eligibility if I'm not mistaken.

Same situation as Yandle. Back then 18 year olds had to opt-in for the draft, whereas 19 year olds were automatically eligible. If you were 18 and declared for the draft then you'd forfeit your NCAA eligibility. So players like Zajac and Yandle (who had planned to go to New Hampshire) didn't file for the draft at age 18.

The NCAA changed its rules in 04-05 that players could opt into the draft at 18 without losing their eligibility and the NHL subsequently changed its draft rules in the 2005 CBA that all players were eligible at 18 without any requirement to opt-in for the draft.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I think the way it looked like he had a coming out party was because of the US team and it's lack of depth.

I disagree and in fact don't think that even makes sense. Murph's becoming quite the player. A player that was not sheltered out of fear -'something many here see as the norm.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He played very well. Deserved all the accolades he received.

What I saw he played very well, but in my opinion, he is not a 1st pairing Dman and most likely never will be. Someone mentioned awhile back that Murphy should be a 3rd pairing and I remarked that would be a waste of talent, but looking at Murphy's analytics, points etc. he is border line 2nd pairing. He is still very young so I guess anything can happen, but I expect him to end up a 2nd. pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad