2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I disagree and in fact don't think that even makes sense. Murph's becoming quite the player. A player that was not sheltered out of fear -'something many here see as the norm.

Don't get me wrong, I like Murphy, but not as a 1st. pairing. There is a reason we want to add 2 top 4 Dman.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I like Murphy, but not as a 1st. pairing. There is a reason we want to add 2 top 4 Dman.

1 RD
1 LD

Murphy can lay in our top 4 today. I have him as a 2/3. Comfortable if you pencil him in as a 3 for next year. Is there a RD available who's better?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
1 RD
1 LD

Murphy can lay in our top 4 today. I have him as a 2/3. Comfortable if you pencil him in as a 3 for next year. Is there a RD available who's better?

Next year we have:

OEL/_________
_____/Murphy/Stone
Kconn/Murphy/Stone

A number 2LHD will be easier to acquire then a 1RHD. We actually have a giant hole on the left side after OEL. Are Kconn/Dalhback really legit NHL players? Priority has to be LHD, and by some miracle if we acquire an RHD better then Stone/Murphy, amazing, but not likely without a costly fortune in assets. Murphy likely pairs with OEL again. Not ideal but maybe we go with it for now. Next year we will have more defined assets to acquire an RHD we covet, so I think we should wait it out.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
"There's a chance" is the operative word there. You could easily say the same thing about at least a half dozen other defenders, probably more. But Sergachev's upside is undeniable. He's got a great package of size, mobility, skill and assertiveness (at least offensively). But there are some major questions about his commitment in his own end, and as minimal as I think the "Russian factor" is, it's still a risk that North American-born players don't carry.

All that said, the sturdiest, most projectable thing in the Coyotes organization is OEL (as slick as Domi and Duclair looked this year, they'll still need to prove it wasn't a fluke), and Sergachev's playing style looks a lot like OEL's, namely his poise carrying the puck through the neutral zone and his ability and willingness to fire wristers on net from the blueline. In terms of complementing OEL, Sergachev is not the best option and would probably be used not just on a separate even strength pairing but on a separate powerplay unit, too. Definitely an exciting prospect, though.

Not exactly. Despite being a couple inches shorter than Turris, Jost already has 20-30 pounds on Turris when he was drafted. To say he's more physically developed is an understatement. Jost is also not quite the puck wizard that Turris was in the BCHL (and he lacks the gamebreaking shot that Turris had), but he's a very creative player in his own right and plays a more solid game overall. He could probably use a year in college and then a year in the AHL before making an NHL team (and for his own sake, hopefully in that order, unlike Turris's path). Because he'll be drafted out of the BCHL, he also has the option of going to the WHL for a year and then jumping to the AHL, unencumbered by the age restrictions players drafted from the CHL face.

I'd project him to actually be a slightly more productive NHL player than Turris has been so far, something in the 30-goal/40-assist range with effective two-way play. Could be a very effective wing, too.

OK thanks for the insight Pho!

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
Brock Otten's first ever mock draft:

1. Toronto - Matthews
2. Winnipeg - Laine
3. Columbus - Puljujarvi
4. Edmonton - Tkachuk
5. Vancouver - Brown
6. Calgary - Dubois
7. Arizona - Juolevi

The Coyotes have talked openly about the idea of adding a defender at this year's draft, and coming off a Memorial Cup victory, Juolevi could be that man. New Coyotes GM John Chayka is a big analytics guy and I don't think there are many players in this draft who would be better in Corsi (or any other new age stat) than Juolevi (if it were properly kept). He's so smart with the puck and his ability to start the breakout is definitely the best of the big three OHL guys. Not to mention that they obviously saw a ton of him while keeping tabs on Christian Dvorak. Seems like a great fit.

Read the rest here: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/06/2016-nhl-mock-draft.html?m=1

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
1 RD
1 LD

Demers?

Next year we have:

OEL/_________
_____/Murphy/Stone
Kconn/Murphy/Stone

A number 2LHD will be easier to acquire then a 1RHD. We actually have a giant hole on the left side after OEL. Are Kconn/Dalhback really legit NHL players? Priority has to be LHD, and by some miracle if we acquire an RHD better then Stone/Murphy, amazing, but not likely without a costly fortune in assets. Murphy likely pairs with OEL again. Not ideal but maybe we go with it for now. Next year we will have more defined assets to acquire an RHD we covet, so I think we should wait it out.

That will probably be the way it shakes out.

indczn

May 28, 2008
Brock Otten's first ever mock draft:

1. Toronto - Matthews
2. Winnipeg - Laine
3. Columbus - Puljujarvi
4. Edmonton - Tkachuk
5. Vancouver - Brown
6. Calgary - Dubois
7. Arizona - Juolevi

Read the rest here: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/06/2016-nhl-mock-draft.html?m=1

This is, imo, the worst possible way the draft could play out. If that's the top 6, I'd be pushing hard to trade down or even out. Also, Juolevi probably the 4th or 5th D I want. Don't see top pair potential from him.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
If that is the top 6—and it seems like the most likely half dozen, if maybe in a slightly different order—I grab Keller or Jost at 7 and feel pretty good about it.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If that is the top 6—and it seems like the most likely half dozen, if maybe in a slightly different order—I grab Keller or Jost at 7 and feel pretty good about it.

Yeah from you guys and other sources have said, and from highlights either of those or sergachev would be my preference. I'd still not be totally upset with chychrun either, I just don't want juolevi. Of course in 4 years juolevi will be the best of the bunch haha.

Grvmnd

Apr 20, 2015
Nylander?

I'd be fine with it. I like his production and most drafts I've seen he's taken before then. People here have also made a good case though as to why we should pass. I think he'd be a little safer than a Defense dice roll.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

I was going to say Jost would be my pick too (unless the scouting staff are very sold on a Dman - and trade down a spot or 3).

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Nylander is probably my least favourite of the top seven prospects though I do definitely consider him to be top seven. Leading Sweden at the U20's as a draft eligible was pretty impressive. He'll have to learn to give a **** in the D zone, but that's pretty common with ultra skilled wingers his age.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I like Keller a lot personally. He's got the feet, the hands, and the head you need to be a good NHL'r

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Nylander is probably my least favourite of the top seven prospects though I do definitely consider him to be top seven. Leading Sweden at the U20's as a draft eligible was pretty impressive. He'll have to learn to give a **** in the D zone, but that's pretty common with ultra skilled wingers his age.

The motor is all-around quite low. Instincts and skills are amazing. But his level of engagement is worrisome. Then again he always gets the job done. So it's hard to argue.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
WOW. Most have him in the top five or six.

He's talented. The Boedker factor has scared me off. On skill he should probably be a top 10 guy. I just worry about consistency and effort so I ranked him at 11.

Mosby

Feb 16, 2012
I don't really have a favorite at 7. I think I'm leaning toward trading down to 10 or so and hopefully grabbing an extra 2nd.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I don't really have a favorite at 7. I think I'm leaning toward trading down to 10 or so and hopefully grabbing an extra 2nd.
thats why patience is key. Hope there's a break in the top 6 and one those forwards fall to 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad