2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Regarding Myers, he is still expected to be back for training camp. I guess there is always concern about recovery until he does (or doesnt). He is a good #3 IMO. He plays mostly with Enstrom. Would allow Murphy to be the guy on a second pairing.

The Jets have too many forwards right now. There may be a player they can include with Myers to get #7 and something. Burmistrov is a possibility. Others could be Lowry (possible Hanzal replacement) or Dano. More likely to add a forward than trade the 22nd pick.

So Myers + Burmistrov for #7 and

** Bob McKenzie just tweeted on yet another Trouba rumour because of his alleged salary demands. It just wont go away. Trouba would be perfect beside OEL. Trouble is Jets need to get a LHD back. Coyotes dont have one that would help them.

Main concern with Trouba is his commitment to getting better. Off season conditioning an issue. Gary Roberts was unhappy with his effort level during their sessions. Very content to get by with just natural talent instead of pushing to be an elite player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm very interested in Myers if we're confident that he'll be healthy and ready to go. His contract is fantastic: 4, 3.5 and 3 over the next three years.

Don't want Myers. Besides injuries his analytics are not good and his contract is terrible. Trouba would be a better fit and is younger, but it would depend on his demands.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Main concern with Trouba is his commitment to getting better. Off season conditioning an issue. Gary Roberts was unhappy with his effort level during their sessions. Very content to get by with just natural talent instead of pushing to be an elite player.

Then I would pass. :nod:

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Bob McKenzie: Coyotes are "not bullish" to make bad hockey trade for Matthews strictly for marketing purposes.

Shocking, I know.

---

In the same segment, Dreger also mentioned that in order for the Wings to move Datsyuk's cap, they may need to include Jurco or Pulkinnen. Not sure I'm interested in collecting dead contracts (Pronger + Datsyuk), but those are interesting assets nonetheless.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Bob McKenzie: Coyotes are "not bullish" to make bad hockey trade for Matthews strictly for marketing purposes.

Shocking, I know.

---

In the same segment, Dreger also mentioned that in order for the Wings to move Datsyuk's cap, they may need to include Jurco or Pulkinnen. Not sure I'm interested in collecting dead contracts (Pronger + Datsyuk), but those are interesting assets nonetheless.

Jurco, no.

Teemu? I'd be tempted.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
For 7 I pass. 20 OV + Dahlbeck?

I just don't want a problem child. What are his demands? We can't afford to have players with attitude problems, but then again, did these remarks come directly from Roberts or some third party?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Shocking, I know.

---

Give me their first rounder instead. Not interested in neither.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I just don't want a problem child. What are his demands? We can't afford to have players with attitude problems, but then again, did these remarks come directly from Roberts or some third party?

Came from an interview wth a reporter. I've shared it before and would have cited a source.

I would expect he's asking for max term at around $6M per with plans of settling for Doug Hamilton contract. If he wants out of Winnipeg that would be the way to force a deal.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I have read a few versions of the Trouba / Gary Roberts thing. It is fair to say it did not work out. Trouba did not like Roberts' methods. Is it necessarily a flaw? Not sure. I mean, he did still train. He went back to Michigan.

To me it is a no brainer for Arizona to pursue this. Jets will obviously want more than the Coyotes 1st pick. Maybe both 1st round picks? Ideally they would swap for a young cost controlled LHD (Philly may be able to help or Florida) but Arizona cannot help there.

In the end I think it is all media hype. I expect the Jets to sign him to a bridge deal.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Calgary gave up 15, 45, and 52 overall for Hamilton. IMO a better D than Trouba and picks in a better draft.

So would a comparable deal not be 7 and 37, plus 53 or Dahlbeck?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Calgary gave up 15, 45, and 52 overall for Hamilton. IMO a better D than Trouba and picks in a better draft.

So would a comparable deal not be 7 and 37, plus 53 or Dahlbeck?

We see how well that worked out. Calgary overpaid. I wouldn't trade ba high first for Trouba. Not at #7. I like the talent at 7. Maybe a combination of 20 plus 2nd round picks and player, but not #7.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Trouba himself was a 9th overall.

I wouldn't blame the Flames poor season on Hamilton either. The bulk of that goes to their god awful goaltending.

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
I think my favourite scenario is using #7 to select the best defenceman they can, then trading back from #20 for multiple 2016/17 2nds if a team is willing. Hopefully they can then pickup a few more defencemen to completely transform the prospect pool, or trade a pick to add an immediate depth D signing.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
We see how well that worked out. Calgary overpaid. I wouldn't trade ba high first for Trouba. Not at #7. I like the talent at 7. Maybe a combination of 20 plus 2nd round picks and player, but not #7.

Really?

You wouldn't trade the 7th pick for a young, big, strong, mobile #2 rhd that plays mean and has offensive upside?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Really?

You wouldn't trade the 7th pick for a young, big, strong, mobile #2 rhd that plays mean and has offensive upside?

Look at it as a risk - benefit calculation. The risk of making a monumental screw up (Kessler trade, Sequin trade e.g.) is far greater than the risk of screwing up on the #7 pick. Management doesn't have the solid fan base of either the Leafs or the Bruins and fan support will dry up if they screw up a trade and the other guy becomes a superstar.

The safe bet is to keep the pick.

Yea, its true. I'm not much for group think.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Really?

I wouldn't but I'm pretty luke warm on Trouba. I'd move the 7th but for someone else. Plus the FA D are decent this year, might as well grab 2 of them for $11m and not spend $7m on one player who frankly isn't worth it yet.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Look at it as a risk - benefit calculation. The risk of making a monumental screw up (Kessler trade, Sequin trade e.g.) is far greater than the risk of screwing up on the #7 pick. Management doesn't have the solid fan base of either the Leafs or the Bruins and fan support will dry up if they screw up a trade and the other guy becomes a superstar.

The safe bet is to keep the pick.

Yea, its true. I'm not much for group think.

The way it sounds most want to trade the #7 or trade down. I want to keep it. Not often teams pick in the top 10 year after year, Edmonton excluded.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wouldn't but I'm pretty luke warm on Trouba. I'd move the 7th but for someone else. Plus the FA D are decent this year, might as well grab 2 of them for $11m and not spend $7m on one player who frankly isn't worth it yet.

That's my thinking as well, but I keep the #7.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
The way it sounds most want to trade the #7 or trade down. I want to keep it. Not often teams pick in the top 10 year after year, Edmonton excluded.

I think it's more a matter of what we could get for it or who is available when we pick.

If we can get a #2 pairing youngish D-man, then it should be considered (I would hope that other pieces would be involved to make it worthwhile)

If there is such a wide range of options at #7, then we wouldn't be hurt by trading down a bit to get additional picks (or prospects). In the end, we'd still end up with a solid player.

I'm guessing they will keep the pick, but I wouldn't be surprised if they make a move involving the pick plus Hanzal, Stone, Domingue, Duclair, Perlini, Dauphin, or MacInnis to improve the current NHL roster. Of course those players could also be added to one of our later picks in a deal if they opt to keep the #7.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Really?

I would trade the #7 straight up for Trouba, assuming we could sign him for 3 years or more. I think it would cost more then just the pick to get Trouba. Young top 4D are at a premium which will create a bidding war if guys like Trouba are available.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

Shocking, I know.

---

We've been saying our stupid owners would do something like that for a while now. Welcome to the team McKenzie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad