Proposal: 2016-17 Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread Part X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Some people still don't get it.

What would you rate our defense now? Probably middle of the pack. What would you rate our goaltending? Probably middle of the pack too or even top 10, optimistically speaking. What would you rate our offense? Average. Adding Duchene makes it above average. It still doesn't make it contending status. And definitely doesn't propel this team to legit contender status.

So I ask you, what makes this team reach contending status faster? Improve the defense significantly or improve the offense?

I think the defense is definitely the answer. Unless Tavares becomes available.

Ceci for top 6 forward and trading/signing a top 2 D > trading for an average top liner + signing top 4 D.

That line-up !!!! Especially the defence. Looking very good on paper.

Yup that lineup is excellent. With that being said, We can't keep both MacArthur and Smith. We are gonna be replacing Ceci's 2.8 mil with Shattenkirk's 6.8ish mil so add another 4 mil. Then we are gonna be adding Palat's 5ish mil on his new contract. So that's 9 mil extra. We gonna get rid of Ryan(hopefully) so that's net result of 2 mil. Meh, not bad actually, assuming Kelly and Neil will be gone, the numbers might just work out.

Duchene isnt the answer,we need a better top line center not another number 2 guy

Exactly. Though I wouldn't call him a number 2 guy. He's a clear number 1 but isnt an enormous upgrade over what we have so the cost of getting him would be futile.

I agree Duchene isn't an elite 1C

but Duchene Brassard Turris down the middle is extremely competitive.

I don't think we'll be able to afford it. Also, I still don't think that makes us extremely competitive at all.

Therefore the best thing is for us to do is hope these guys plus a few others develop into impact NHLers. We have too many holes to fill via trade, and there's no sense in creating one hole to fill another. If past years are anything to judge by, we ain't signing a top 6 forward or top 4 D via free agency either.

1) We only have 2 major holes to fill. Another top 4 D, which I am very confident Chabot will more than fill

2) A number 1 C or top 5 winger, which we do not have unless you wanna wait for Brown to develop in 3 years.

Time is something we no longer have. A lot of our core is on the wrong side of 25. We need to start contending soon. I disagree about waiting. I mean... if there is NO other alternative, we definitely have to wait... but we also must utilize Karlsson's prime years. And since we only have one more major need, we should do everything in our power to fill it asap.

I get that chabot is hyped up and has top pairing potential but you are also getting a young high end center which is equally as difficult to find.

if we didn't have karlsson then I would be more worried about keeping chabot but with Karlsson Phaneuf and Ceci developing i would do it to get a high end center and depth

What is this? Ceci has shown nothing of real substance over becoming a number 3 guy and Phaneuf is on the wrong side of 30. We have absolutely nothing special after EK and Chabot is absolutely everything we need to have for balance in the defensive future.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hate to disagree with a mod, but if Minni wanted to trade a package like that for a centre, wouldn't they rather want Duchene than Brass+1? In other words, if this trade happens it's with Ottawa out of the picture?

They can't fit Duchene in under the cap. Brassard comes in a bit cheaper, mind you, not enough thinking about it. I keep thinking of him at his salary and not his caphit.

I guess in a similar deal, Turris would make more sense from their perspective.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
Friedman mentioned on a NYI broadcast that Colorado is looking for either a top young D-man or a high-end goalie prospect for Duschene or Landeskog. I wonder if Hogberg could be of interest as a piece of the deal.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Friedman mentioned on a NYI broadcast that Colorado is looking for either a top young D-man or a high-end goalie prospect for Duschene or Landeskog. I wonder if Hogberg could be of interest as a piece of the deal.

Doubt it. Every team has a Hogberg type prospect.

SameeTheSniper

Jun 15, 2016
Ottawa
I have mixed feelings about this proposal, but I'll throw it out here.

Colorado Aquire
Thomas Chabot
Bobby Ryan (1.5 million retained)

Ottawa aquire
Matt Duchene
Joe Colborne

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Duchene could get his elite status back with a player liek Stone on his wings

This is what I was thinking mightttttt happen. He has finished top 2 in scoring on his team in the last 5 straight seasons and he's lead the team in scoring 4 of the last 7. Playing with a 60 point player in Stone and a 80 point player in EK might make him a 65-70 point center here. Which would be top 10 center level production.

Go on...

How many teams have 3 centers under 30 who have accomplished 60-70pts in a season.

extremely competitive.

Hoffman-Duchene-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Dzingel
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan

I unno, the C depth would make us very competitive but our winger depth isn't anything too pretty to bring out the best of those centers. We have enough good wingers for 2 legit lines lol. Whoever is on the 3rd line will be on major short end of the stick. If MacArthur comes back and clicks with Turris immediately then those lines can be nasty but alas.

That would definitely be a contending forward group if we had a very good defense, like say CBJ do.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Ever think the Sens would reconsider going after Evander Kane? I know he's got his off ice issues but I feel like Guy Boucher could whip this guy into shape. He's still relatively young, can score and fits nicely into the Top 6 on the LW

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Kane-Turris-Ryan
Smith-Brassard-Stone
Hoffman-Pageau-Pyatt
Dzingel-Lazar-Kelly/McCormick

Adds a nice element to the top 6 and every line is a threat to score. Not a top end addition but one that creates some elite depth.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
Ottawa should really try to get Hanzal. I don't even care is he walks after this season, we have colin white. But just imagine a healthy line up with Mac back and Hanzal as 3rd C

Dzingel - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Brass - Stone
Hoff - Hanzal - Pageau
Mac - Kelly/Lazar - Pyatt

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Why is everyone so keen to make a trade?

How soon we forget that last year Uncle Gene dug deep into his pocket and bag of tricks and got us Scott Gomez, and if memory serves correct, his one assist over 13 games nearly put us over the top. There's gotta be more of that available this time around too.

*spends next hour dodging tomoatoes*

BobbyRyan

Apr 11, 2016
Ottawa should really try to get Hanzal. I don't even care is he walks after this season, we have colin white. But just imagine a healthy line up with Mac back and Hanzal as 3rd C

Dzingel - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Brass - Stone
Hoff - Hanzal - Pageau

No thanks. This team, even with the addition of Hanzal, is not good enough to compete with the big boys (Pittsburgh, Washington, Chicago).

I don't want us to give up a 1st round pick (likely the minimum cost of Hanzal) for a run I have no faith we can make.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016

How soon we forget that last year Uncle Gene dug deep into his pocket and bag of tricks and got us Scott Gomez, and if memory serves correct, his one assist over 13 games nearly put us over the top. There's gotta be more of that available this time around too.

*cries real tears cause it's the sad truth*

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016
Hoffman-Duchene-Stone
Smith-Brassard-Dzingel
MacArthur-Turris-Ryan

I unno, the C depth would make us very competitive but our winger depth isn't anything too pretty to bring out the best of those centers. We have enough good wingers for 2 legit lines lol. Whoever is on the 3rd line will be on major short end of the stick. If MacArthur comes back and clicks with Turris immediately then those lines can be nasty but alas.

That would definitely be a contending forward group if we had a very good defense, like say CBJ do.

yeah I'm not sure about contending for a cup, because like you said we would need help on the wing and add to the defence. When I say competitive I think of having a good chance of winning the division/consistently making the playoffs and winning a round or two...along those lines

Sens Vader

Jan 23, 2016

Dzingel - Turris - Ryan
Smith - Brass - Stone
Hoff - Hanzal - Pageau

yeah id love Hanzal depending on the price, he would really help our bottom 6 and fits the teams style.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

Such an odd comment, imo.

The team signed Gomez simply because we had no depth at C... Who did you want to play C?

Zibanejad couldn't capitalize on the extra time, Pageau stole his spot, Turris was injured, who was left? Phil Varone? Nick Paul? Lol.

I still don't mind the add. Just a warm body really. Maybe some nice vet experience that possibly helped some young guys. That's it.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
Some people still don't get it.

What would you rate our defense now? Probably middle of the pack. What would you rate our goaltending? Probably middle of the pack too or even top 10, optimistically speaking. What would you rate our offense? Average. Adding Duchene makes it above average. It still doesn't make it contending status. And definitely doesn't propel this team to legit contender status.

So I ask you, what makes this team reach contending status faster? Improve the defense significantly or improve the offense?

I think the defense is definitely the answer. Unless Tavares becomes available.

Ceci for top 6 forward and trading/signing a top 2 D > trading for an average top liner + signing top 4 D.

Sorry which top 2 d-man are we gonna trade for or sign again?

Literally over half the teams in the league could use another top 4 dman and that is exacerbated by Las Vegas coming in and taking a bunch of them. There is no way that we get a top pairing d via trade that just isn't realistic.

I hate using the Hall trade as a comparable because one trade doesn't set market value and it's pretty clear that Edmonton overpaid. But the point is, they overpaid because they had to and were in a position to do so. We aren't, and even if we wanted to we can't. Not realistic to expect this at all.

As for signing one, Stone and Shattenkirk are the top FA this year IIRC and neither are top pairing by any stretch of the imagination. Besides that, is it really a great idea to bank on the Ottawa Senators making a huge FA signing like that - lol, probably not.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I talked to some friends of mine, who are very avid Avs fans and they said Duchene is only at his best with 2 elite players on his line. He can't be the best player on his line if u wanna make serious noise. They also said he has chemistry with no one, probably only O'Rielly and that he's very hard to play with unless u put him up with elite talent.

Lol, no thank u to any of that.

I still think acquiring Jagr and depth D would be the best move we can do and could actually have just as big an impact as any other (reasonable) additions. In the summer we'll deal with the rest.

yeah I'm not sure about contending for a cup, because like you said we would need help on the wing and add to the defence. When I say competitive I think of having a good chance of winning the division/consistently making the playoffs and winning a round or two...along those lines

Well if that's out goal then we might as well stay par for the course. Chabot and White will make us legit playoff team where we'll win a round or two.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
the goal is to contend. But that doesnt happen after 1 trade.

Well, like I've said time and time again, we are 1 elite forward and 1 top 3/4 defender away from contending. I believe Chabot will fill the latter, we just need to find the former.

Since that forward may not be available, we must stay par for the course until the opportunity presents itself and then we should pounce immediately. Until then we draft well and try to win by committee, accumulating great depth, like CBJ is doing, and by excellent bang-for-the-buck trades like we did prior with Cullen/Sutton and with good meaningful free-agent signings.

(Or you could alternatively say we are 2 top 3 defender and 1 top 6 forward away from competing: EX: Shattenkirk+Chabot added to D and Palat to F)

Bottom line: We need to make a splash when we need to, doesn't have to be soon tho but it should be addressed for same time next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad