Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building part IV | Contract chart, cap info in post #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The 1 year less on his contract may make him more attractive to many teams though, you can't ignore that. That could make more teams interested in Kunitz than there would have been. I don't think age has as much of an impact at Kunitz's age to be honest, he's probably going to be about the same next year as he was this year. He fell off a map big time after 13-14, but I think he'll just plateau at where he is now until he has another huge drop off. I don't imagine that drop off will happen next year.

I'm pretty confident we couldn't have gotten a TJ Oshie type of player in return for Kunitz last summer, it was probably Kunitz plus something big. Brouwer (UFA this summer) was the centerpiece for the Oshie deal last summer, so I really don't think Kunitz's contract status will impact a potential Kunitz+ for top-6 winger deal.

You're pretty confident we couldn't have gotten Oshie for Kunitz when it was reported we had a deal lined up to do just that? Obviously we don't know the other pieces, but Kunitz was the centerpiece.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You're pretty confident we couldn't have gotten Oshie for Kunitz when it was reported we had a deal lined up to do just that? Obviously we don't know the other pieces, but Kunitz was the centerpiece.

Wasn't it Kunitz and a big plus for Oshie? That's how I remember the rumor went.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If the Isles are willing to retain salary, I'd still like to see Kulemin here. I can't imagine there's a big market for that guy, and the Islanders need to make some pretty big changes up front and cut salary. Beyond Tavares and their 4th line, they need actual secondary scoring.

He can play LW or RW. Could allow you to move Hagelin up with 87 or 71 since he could complement Kessel. If he replaces Kunitz, it makes us that much faster.

Without a shooter on the other wing, I'm not really sure I want two years of Kulemin at 4.1m. It made a lot of sense to get someone like Kulie when we had Neal here, as Kuleman's strengths were Neal's weaknesses (at least when he was here). And while he could still help Malkin, we would still need someone to shoot the puck on the other wing.

Then while you can make the cap work (assuming there's some minor retention)... the only RW we'd have for Malkin would either be Kessel, Bennett or Sprong. Better then what we have... but not great.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Without a shooter on the other wing, I'm not really sure I want two years of Kulemin at 4.1m. It made a lot of sense to get someone like Kulie when we had Neal here, as Kuleman's strengths were Neal's weaknesses (at least when he was here). And while he could still help Malkin, we would still need someone to shoot the puck on the other wing.

Then while you can make the cap work (assuming there's some minor retention)... the only RW we'd have for Malkin would either be Kessel, Bennett or Sprong. Better then what we have... but not great.

I'm just looking at possible cheap acquisitions who'd fit our style and very likely fit Malkin's game.

I think this team just needs to find competent top 9 players if we're going to run with 87, 71 and 81 on separate lines. Let your internal options fill in the rest.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Sign Bodeker
Don't trade Fleury until the deadline
Let Kunitz ride out his last year, or flip him at the deadline for a pick
Resign Schultz to a two year deal, 2 million
Resign Cullen to a one year deal, 1.5 million
Sign a 7th D to a cheap one year deal (that 7th D could be Lovejoy)

Bodeker-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Sheary
Sundqvist

Dumolin-Letang
Maatta-Daley
Cole Schultz
Lovejoy

Easiest offseason ever.

Great another year of mediocre wingers for Malkin.

Although I do like your offseason outlook. But I would make a few changes.

Trade Fleury+Bennett for Niemi+Nuke

Trade Pouliot for Teuvo

Trade Kunitz for 3rd

Sign Boedker

Sign 7th dman

Boedker-Crosby-Horny
TT-Malkin-Nuke
Hags-Bonino-Kessel
Kuhn-Fehr-Rust
Sundqvist

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Daley
Cole-Schultz
7th

Murray
Niemi

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I know he has the Malkin connection from the past. However, even when playing with Tavares a bunch in 14-15, he only managed 15 goals and 31 points. He wasn't a good possession guy when playing with Tavares and he was even worse this season without playing with Tavares. The sad thing is that he still played with good linemates, he was mostly on the Islanders 2nd line with Nielsen and Okposo. A big no thanks to Kulemin.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

1. You mean like Sprong? :D

2. You know, Malkin can shoot the puck. His shot and goal totals traditionally are highest when he's got a puck retriever type who meshes (Malone, Talbot, Kunitz that one year).

3. The most critical issue in constructing a line for Malkin isn't a shooter. It's to find a guy who has just enough skill to play with Geno who plays a legit two way game, always has an eye towards defense, can work along the boards and go to the net, and can work the give and go. A scoring winger is a luxury, not the essential ingredient for Malkin getting to HIS game. To many people mistakingly think the opposite.

Yeah, I know he has the Malkin connection from the past. However, even when playing with Tavares a bunch in 14-15, he only managed 15 goals and 31 points. He wasn't a good possession guy when playing with Tavares and he was even worse this season without playing with Tavares. The sad thing is that he still played with good linemates, he was mostly on the Islanders 2nd line with Nielsen and Okposo. A big no thanks to Kulemin.

It would have to be with retention, but don't discount the natural chemistry, especially here after seeing how the disparate pieces of HBK crystallized. Malkin and Kulemin have played together since they were toddlers. He's the type of guy, like a Malone or a Talbot, that Geno views as a security blanket. He TRUSTS and stops overthinking, and I think you know what I mean. He may be a situation reminiscent to Hagelin in Anaheim . . . just a bad fit. I'm not interested in Kulemin with retention because of what he'll do. I'm interested because of what Malkin could do with him. Don't get me wrong. It's a gamble, but I think it's a smart one, especially if you want to impact Malkin without spending a bunch of bucks on winger AND do so in a way that lets you test in the young guys on the other wing.

I'm just looking at possible cheap acquisitions who'd fit our style and very likely fit Malkin's game.

I think this team just needs to find competent top 9 players if we're going to run with 87, 71 and 81 on separate lines. Let your internal options fill in the rest.

Kulemin with some retention firs that. Not as confident as I would've been a few years ago, but still, given what I think you'd find at that type of number . . .

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Sign Bodeker
Don't trade Fleury until the deadline
Let Kunitz ride out his last year, or flip him at the deadline for a pick
Resign Schultz to a two year deal, 2 million
Resign Cullen to a one year deal, 1.5 million
Sign a 7th D to a cheap one year deal (that 7th D could be Lovejoy)

Bodeker-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Rust
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Sheary
Sundqvist

Dumolin-Letang
Maatta-Daley
Cole Schultz
Lovejoy

Easiest offseason ever.

Poor Geno

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Problem with him to is his concussion history. If were going to spend that 5- 5.5 maybe even 6 to get him, I'd rather we pay a little more and go after Okposo for example. But it's going to be hard to squeeze that type of salary in here.

Amazing how a couple hits can change a person's career. I think he's rebounded but in the same capacity Sid has. Sid is great and back at it...but not 2010-2011 great.

The trade that would have been monstrous is the Kunitz+ for Oshie that was rumored. Imagine if Oshie was on Sid's LW right now...

To me, I think we need to find a value LW that's got potential to fit the system. This is where someone like Zucker could be tried. I say value, meaning I would like a $3mil or less wing. Reason for that, is if they don't work out, you're not on the hook with a bad contract. I also want a player that the coaches can interchange without any stigmas about doing it. I want Sheary, Wilson, Rust, and even a couple other WBS boys to get a shot at the Top 6 LW position.

With that, I would love to send Kunitz out. Maybe for a struggling prospect or a 3rd and assume there's no salary retention.

A lot also depends on what we decide on Fleury. $5.5 (minus back up salary) and Kunitz's $3.85 would go a LONG way in helping us keep our guys and get a good solid LW. I'm fairly certain Boedker will sign in Colorado. He's a good fit there and they need him badly. I've all but taken him off my wish list. Would love to have him but I think it's a long shot.

If LA resign Lucic, there may be a deal to be had with Pearson. LA's defense is a mess when you have Scuderi playing with Doughty. Perhaps something around Pouliot if Schultz is resigned.

Looking at Columbus and their contracts they have, there's a possibility that they may be willing to move someone. Still think Foligno would work well here as would Boone Jenner. If you look at their wings, they are stack and they are likely brining on another good young forward in Puljujarvi. Looking at their depth chart, they actually have an impressive prospect pool, especially at wing:

Saad
Foligno
Clarkson
Hartnell
Atkinson
Calvert (meh)
Boll (meh)
Jenner
Sonny Milano
Kerby Rychel
Paul Bittner

and then adding Puljujarvi to that...

There's a definite possibility that they may be willing to move one of them to help solidify their defense. Yes, they just got Jones and they have Murphy but then they have Tyutin who's done, Johnson who is decent, Savard who is a bonafide top4, Prout who's meh and Goloubef who's a #7.

I'd look at a Rychel, Milano, Bittner and pick for Pouliot trade for a Pouliot+ for Jenner trade.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Great another year of mediocre wingers for Malkin.

Although I do like your offseason outlook. But I would make a few changes.

Trade Fleury+Bennett for Niemi+Nuke

Trade Pouliot for Teuvo

Trade Kunitz for 3rd

Sign Boedker

Sign 7th dman

Boedker-Crosby-Horny
TT-Malkin-Nuke
Hags-Bonino-Kessel
Kuhn-Fehr-Rust
Sundqvist

Dumo-Letang
Maatta-Daley
Cole-Schultz
7th

Murray
Niemi

:laugh: We aren't getting Nuke, TT, and Boedker. Keep dreaming though.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd rather send the Isles a 3rd for Kulemin with some retention and who only has 2 more years on his deal than spend 5-6 mil for 4-5 years on Boedker, Eriksson or Ladd.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd rather send the Isles a 3rd for Kulemin with some retention and who only has 2 more years on his deal than spend 5-6 mil for 4-5 years on Boedker, Eriksson or Ladd.

Well yeah but why are the Isles trading us Kulemin for a 3rd and retaining?

It's not like those two options are equal in likelihood.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Well yeah but why are the Isles trading us Kulemin for a 3rd and retaining?

It's not like those two options are equal in likelihood.

He's being paid 4 mil and had 22 points this season. What do you think he's going to bring back?

I'd argue he's cap dump territory.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Seal did you just include Clarkson as evidence that Columbus is stacked at wing?

That's what I'm thinking. I also could understand flipping Fehr and Kulemin. It's a small, at the margins move that could have big impact for Geno and still allows you to target a bigger fish (winger)

You know, those might be interesting moves . . .

Fleury + Kunitz (if he'd accept, assuming he was ever asked) for Bernier + JVR

Fehr for Kulemin

The NET impact of those two deals is to add 950K to payroll.

You could do that, resign Schultz (assuming money is reasonable), sprinkle in the kids, and call it a day, retaining a nice cap cushion to address needs as they may or may not arise.

He's being paid 4 mil and had 22 points this season. What do you think he's going to bring back?

I could see a straight swap with Fehr. Do the two deals I mentioned above and you've got JVR-Sid-Horny, HBK, and if one of these kids would mesh with Malkin and Kulemin . . .

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Why are they trading him at all? Why are they retaining? Why do we want a cap dump territory player?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't think we can just look at under performing players on other teams and assume their GM will eat money to trade him for a 3rd rounder.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Seal did you just include Clarkson as evidence that Columbus is stacked at wing?

Yes and no. He's there and getting paid a lot so...he's not going away. Columbus doesn't have the sack to sit a player making that much.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes and no. He's there and getting paid a lot so...he's not going away. Columbus doesn't have the sack to sit a player making that much.

Yeah but he blows so I don't think it helps your cause that Foligno might be available. He's their captain.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
If the Isles are willing to retain salary, I'd still like to see Kulemin here. I can't imagine there's a big market for that guy, and the Islanders need to make some pretty big changes up front and cut salary. Beyond Tavares and their 4th line, they need actual secondary scoring.

He can play LW or RW. Could allow you to move Hagelin up with 87 or 71 since he could complement Kessel. If he replaces Kunitz, it makes us that much faster.

I read something recently about the Isles and moving Kulemin was mentioned. My thought at the time was 'I wonder if they'd take Kunitz for him?' :laugh: Kulemin costs about $300K more for the next two seasons, IIRC. I almost posted something about it, but thought, nah, let sleeping dogs lie :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Why are they trading him at all? Why are they retaining? Why do we want a cap dump territory player?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't think we can just look at under performing players on other teams and assume their GM will eat money to trade him for a 3rd rounder.

They've got 7 forwards, 6 defensemen, and 2 goalies signed. Just under 55M committed.

BUT, Neilsen, Okposo, and Martin are UFA's. Strome and Cezikis are RFA.

They don't NEED to do it. They have 18M in cap space. At the same time, keeping Neilsen, Okposo, Martin, Strome, and Cezekis eats up almost all of that money, and I can't see the Isles NOT wanting to resign all of them.

I read something recently about the Isles and moving Kulemin was mentioned. My thought at the time was 'I wonder if they'd take Kunitz for him?' :laugh: Kulemin costs about $300K more for the next two seasons, IIRC. I almost posted something about it, but thought, nah, let sleeping dogs lie :laugh:

I'm wary, but I also think mpp9 has a point about 'gambling' two years on Kulemin versus gambling on one of the higher ticket names people throw out for Malkin.

I think it's a deal straight up for Fehr. Then you trade Fleury and Kunitz for JVR and Bernier (assuming Kunitz is okay there) and call it a day. :)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I thought I explained myself in my earlier post. The Isles have zero scoring depth beyond JT and their 4th line. They're contemplating moving on from Okposo because he's not good enough with JT, and they have no 2nd line.

They're going to need to shed overpaid players like Grabo and Kulemin to afford to shake their forward group up.

With Hamonic staying, upgrading their forward group and possibly being players for a guy like Stamkos should be their sole focus.

Maybe they can dump Kulemin as part of a deal for an upgrade, but as long as they can get rid of most of his salary in some way, I'd imagine they think about it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I thought I explained myself in my earlier post. The Isles have zero scoring depth beyond JT and their 4th line. They're contemplating moving on from Okposo because he's not good enough with JT, and they have no 2nd line.

They're going to need to shed overpaid players like Grabo and Kulemin to afford to shake their forward group up.

With Hamonic staying, upgrading their forward group and possibly being players for a guy like Stamkos should be their sole focus.

Maybe they can dump Kulemin as part of a deal for an upgrade, but as long as they can get rid of most of his salary in some way, I'd imagine they think about it.

That makes some sense. I just don't see them retaining unless they are desperate to move him.

I've also moved on from the Kulemin train. He's a 20-30 point player at this point. He does have size and speed, but I'm not convinced he's going to be all that much better with Malkin than he's been for the past 5 seasons.

If NYI retained $1-1.5MM and he only cost a 3rd round pick, I'd be interested, but I don't see that happening.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
That makes some sense. I just don't see them retaining unless they are desperate to move him.

I've also moved on from the Kulemin train. He's a 20-30 point player at this point. He does have size and speed, but I'm not convinced he's going to be all that much better with Malkin than he's been for the past 5 seasons.

If NYI retained $1-1.5MM and he only cost a 3rd round pick, I'd be interested, but I don't see that happening.

I agree that we can't bank on Kulemin being worth 4m to us even with a full season with 71.

It'd have to be something where we're dumping a less expensive but worse roster player on them, or they're retaining and it costs us a 3rd or cheaper.

I still like the idea of adding Kulemin, but I'm not giving up one of our 2nd rounders. I hope we use them in a trade for a longterm solution or drafting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad