Blue Jays GDT: (2015 v8) Next: vs Hou | Sun, Jun 7th | 1pm ET/10am PT | McHugh vs Dickey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
It would be really advantageous if Jose and ee could get their averages up near their norms. Would really help

I'd like to think they'll get there over the next month or two... Crazy to think the offense is this good without them at their norms

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Yikes, Joe Mauer is hitting only .275/.335/.371/.706 with 1 homerun and making 23M as a 1st baseman/DH. Still has 69M remaining on that deal after this season!

This is a perfect illustration of why, when people once upon a time suggested moving JPA to 1B, or wondering if the Mets would move d'Arnaud to 1B if he keeps getting hurt, it's never a good idea.

Even having a down year by his standards, Mauer would be right around top 10-15 offensively among catchers with his #s so far this year. But those same #s translated to 1B make him 30th in wOBA among 1Bs with at least 100 PAs to their name this season and no higher than 17th in any slash line category (including being 28th in OPS and like 34th of 38 in SLG)

Joe Mauer the catcher is a great offensive piece for a catcher. Joe Mauer the 1B would be good but not great. Joe Mauer the fading 1B is pretty bad.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Why didn't they just walk Bautista to begin with?

He has one of the best eyes in the big leagues. He knows they're not going to give him something to hit.

Why run the risk of the pitcher making a mistake he could crush? Put him on and hope for a double play.

What Gibson lacks in strikeout 'stuff' he makes up for in control and IQ. Make the batter try to hit a bad pitch.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Its a beautiful park I just can't help but think of cardboard when I see that. It looks really ugly whatever it is. If they wanted nature theme and tacky they could've had an image of wolves barking at the moon.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. It's pretty hard to tell that it's stone unless they zoom in on it.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It would be really advantageous if Jose and ee could get their averages up near their norms. Would really help

Not sure why it matters.

Bautista's OBP is around .375 (with a hit and walk today). That's above his career OBP, which means he's been slightly more productive this year than usual.

EE's numbers are a little off, but he is known as a slow starter and his power numbers are right where they would be expected.

Maybe it's because I play in a fantasy league that doesn't use average, but I don't even look at that stat anymore. I consider it largely irrelevant.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
This is a perfect illustration of why, when people once upon a time suggested moving JPA to 1B, or wondering if the Mets would move d'Arnaud to 1B if he keeps getting hurt, it's never a good idea.

Even having a down year by his standards, Mauer would be right around top 10-15 offensively among catchers with his #s so far this year. But those same #s translated to 1B make him 30th in wOBA among 1Bs with at least 100 PAs to their name this season and no higher than 17th in any slash line category (including being 28th in OPS and like 34th of 38 in SLG)

Joe Mauer the catcher is a great offensive piece for a catcher. Joe Mauer the 1B would be good but not great. Joe Mauer the fading 1B is pretty bad.

Unless your name is Buster Posey, it'll definitely be an unflattering transition.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Not sure why it matters.

Bautista's OBP is around .375 (with a hit and walk today). That's above his career OBP, which means he's been slightly more productive this year than usual.

EE's numbers are a little off, but he is known as a slow starter and his power numbers are right where they would be expected.

Maybe it's because I play in a fantasy league that doesn't use average, but I don't even look at that stat anymore. I consider it largely irrelevant.

What's his OBP in a Jays uni? I bet it's higher than .375. Can't necessarily look at his career numbers as a whole, because he wasn't the same hitter before 2010.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He's got that Buehrle ability to change speeds/locations. Seems like you should be able to tee off on the guy. All these men in scoring position are going to catch up to him though.

His pitch count is already around 60 .. Hope the Jays can get to that pen by the 5th at least.

Despite the crappy hitting with runners in scoring position, they're working the count well

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site

Same reason I hate the idea of moving Pentecost from Catcher to another position. His value is that of an above average hitting catcher. Move him to another position and his value takes a nose dive.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
What's his OBP in a Jays uni? I bet it's higher than .375. Can't necessarily look at his career numbers as a whole, because he wasn't the same hitter before 2010.

All I have in front of me is his career stats.

But I would estimate his Blue Jays OBP is around .375. He's had a couple years when it was higher and a couple when it was lower. Should even out around that. I'm sure others have the exact stats.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Not sure why it matters.

I wouldn't call BA irrelevant, but I would absolutely say that it has shifted from basically being the measure of general hitting prowess to more of a complementary stat to sit alongside OBP.

The only time I really use BA a alot is to compare it to OBP to see how much of a player's on-base ability is coming from walks and how much is coming from hits (under the general assumption that a high OBP built on hits is harder to maintain than one with a healthy walk component, and can also be judged in concert with BABIP).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad