OT: 2015 Ottawa Music Festival and Concerts Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Kanye's a dbag, but that goes without saying. It's not that big a deal.

Either way this is a huge get for Bluesfest and I hope it all goes well.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
El-p & Killer Mike, Nas, and Kanye.

Pretty decent hip hop right there.

Are you serious Nas is coming????? That's awesome.

BTW I don't think Kayne could scratch top 30 all time hip hop/rap artist. IMO he's like the same level as a guy like xzibit. Some good music but kind of the justin beiber of rap.

Almost a freak show now. Did you guys see when he flipped out on sway from shade 45 xD what a joke.

Last edited:

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Some good music but kind of the justin beiber of rap.

Almost a freak show now. Did you guys see when he flipped out on sway from shade 45 xD what a joke.

Calling him the Justin Bieber of rap is laughable. Whether you think he's in the top 30 of rap or not, he's been hugely influential through his production work. That alone kind of discredits any label like the "Justin Bieber of rap".

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Calling him the Justin Bieber of rap is laughable. Whether you think he's in the top 30 of rap or not, he's been hugely influential through his production work. That alone kind of discredits any label like the "Justin Bieber of rap".

Yeah ok he is.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
He's put out good music, he'll draw a good crowd and he will put on a good show, he always has. I liked his older stuff, but haven't been a fan of his newer stuff in quite a while now.

He should absolutely be playing the festival though, people writing petitions and stuff should get a life. There's been plenty of artists that have went to bluesfest that I haven't liked or who were fairly controversial and nothing was made of them. I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't like my style of music either.

People can get pretty dumb sometimes, live and let live.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Are you serious Nas is coming????? That's awesome.

BTW I don't think Kayne could scratch top 30 all time hip hop/rap artist. IMO he's like the same level as a guy like xzibit. Some good music but kind of the justin beiber of rap.

Firstly Nas is legendary, not much more needed there...easily one of the greats imo

As for the KW...top 30? I guess it depends what circles you run in and what age you are but Kanye doesn't come close to my top 100 nor anyone i associate with music wise.

There are/were a lot of influential/innovative people in hip hop but i would have a hard time buying Kanye the rapper has provided anything of any substance to the genre other than shock value and would be surprised in 10-20 years time if people even remembered the guy let alone celebrated his career like some of the true greats. Kanye the producer is a completely different story though, the man knows whats up there.

I agree I lump Kanye rap career in with the Justin Biebers, Lady Gaga's and Katy Perry's of the current scene.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Honestly, most people who say kanye's music sucks haven't actually listened to his albums and have only heard his Radio hits and seen him yelling at paparazzi or whatever he's called a ****** for. Most people who are actually into hip hop regard him as one of the best ever. If you've actually given his albums the time of day and you still don't like him then that's fine, that's your opinion. For all others, I ask you to listen to my beautiful dark twisted fantasy and then call him the "Justin bieber of rap."

Saying kanye isn't in the top 100 hip hop artists just shows ignorance about his influence on the genre.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Honestly, most people who say kanye's music sucks haven't actually listened to his albums and have only heard his Radio hits and seen him yelling at paparazzi or whatever he's called a ****** for. Most people who are actually into hip hop regard him as one of the best ever. If you've actually given his albums the time of day and you still don't like him then that's fine, that's your opinion. For all others, I ask you to listen to my beautiful dark twisted fantasy and then call him the "Justin bieber of rap."

Saying kanye isn't in the top 100 hip hop artists just shows ignorance about his influence on the genre.

His early work was decent especially a lot of the tracks that he did for Jay-Z...through the wire/College Dropout was good...not much since then...i have listened to his albums and don't listen to the radio outside of sports.

I grew up in the primetime of Nas, Biggie, Tupac, Big L, Gangstarr and Wu-Tang....Kanye West barely even registers on my hip hop radar to be honest

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I've been listening to rap since grade 7 I'm 29. I liked the song there with him on the bike with what's her face on it too but tbh in no way has he moulded rap or done some ground breaking music IMO. It's just rap is soo not great right now that a middle of the pack guy is one of the better artist right now. I'd put Lamar above Kayne for music I'd rather listen to.

Like I grew up on slick rick, Tupac, biggie, wu tang(methot man, GZA, RZA, old dirty *******, inspector deck, ugod, Gostfaceetc..),Snoopdog, EPMD, 50 cent, Eminem, Master P, Xzibit, Jay-z, DMX, LL Cool , outkast etc... I could keep going for a while here lol of artist I think are better than him or same level.

He's not ground breaking and really not a level above guys even today.

Also not that I'm a huge drake fan either but he is actually the number 1 rap artist in the world right now. Straight from Sway on shade 45.

And he's probably the premier guy to be making these judgements.

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I'm sad that this awesome thread has turned into a Kanye West discussion...

I think it's fine. He's widely controversial everywhere. He believe's he's the best artist that ever lived and says it to everyone Which brings everyone to arguing about it because it would be like foo fighters saying they were the best band i the world.

They're pretty good but yeah not even top 30 best bands once again.(just as an example).

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Last edited:

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
There's an interview that's since been taken down but it was a really raw one with Kanye years ago. Basically it was about the rap game and how he knew that his talent alone was never going to keep him relevant forever so every now and then he has to say something bat**** crazy to keep his name in the press and have people talking about him.

There is apparently the real Kanye and Kanye the entertainer and apparently, they are two completely different people. One is crafted for media/press

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

I like his old stuff. His new stuff I have no interest in. I like Danny Brown and Kendrick Lamar more.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
I've been listening to rap since grade 7 I'm 29. I liked the song there with him on the bike with what's her face on it too but tbh in no way has he moulded rap or done some ground breaking music IMO. It's just rap is soo not great right now that a middle of the pack guy is one of the better artist right now. I'd put Lamar above Kayne for music I'd rather listen to.

Like I grew up on slick rick, Tupac, biggie, wu tang(methot man, GZA, RZA, old dirty *******, inspector deck, ugod, Gostfaceetc..),Snoopdog, EPMD, 50 cent, Eminem, Master P, Xzibit, Jay-z, DMX, LL Cool , outkast etc... I could keep going for a while here lol of artist I think are better than him or same level.

He's not ground breaking and really not a level above guys even today.

Also not that I'm a huge drake fan either but he is actually the number 1 rap artist in the world right now. Straight from Sway on shade 45.

And he's probably the premier guy to be making these judgements.

Well it's all about taste. Except for Snoop and Wu-Tang, I don't even like the others you listed and would probably put Kanye above them.

I grew up on Run DMC, De La Soul, Pharcyde, Hieroglyphics, Souls of Mischief, Aesop Rock, Common, Talib Kweli. Now I find all of those better than Kanye.

Either way, why are people whinning about this? They do know that the Bluesfest is not manditory, right? Nobody is making them go to this.

Either way, the only act I really want to see is Charles Bradley. It's gonna be magnificent!

Plasket97

Apr 12, 2011
Anyone hear anything about the Arkells playing the Hometown Hockey thing at KRC this weekend?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad