OT: 2015 Ottawa Music Festival and Concerts Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Sure, and I'm not interested in an argument about something dumb like this, but folks here have sussed out my connection in the past and you could go track that down too, if you cared. I doubt its worth your while though.

In any case, we can agree that this year's line up is weak!

100% agree with you

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Stop smoking illegal substances in public places?

Stop smoking cigarettes where it is not allowed?

I love that Bluesfest has cracked down on these things. Its spelled out very clearly and if you still choose to partake, expect consequences. You say you were all in a tight group and no one around you gave a crap, but I can tell you that people do. There's just nothing someone is going to say or do to a group of stoners for fear of retaliation.

Seriously, Bluesfest says here is this show, you are allowed to join in the fun as long as you follow our rules. Who are you to go to their show fully intending to break their rules?

Wow, take a breath. Stay calm.

Wasn't Snoop Dogg smoking weed on stage last year? There was some artist that did. It's pretty ridiculous to be so aggressive against your paying costumers then let dudes toke up on stage.

The whole thing was a bad situation. All they had to do was say "put that out" and everything would have been cool. That was pretty much the worst way to handle it. I also take exception with the chicken **** rent a cop picking on the the weakest of the group instead of approaching the more mature people in the group. That's what I call a bully.

And LOL to "fear of retaliation from stoners".

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
A few years ago at the Hip show there was a big group of us smoking weed. Group ranged from 21 to 50 years of age. It was an outdoor festival, this is what happens. We weren't doing it around kids, we were all huddled in our little circle in the crowd and no one gave a crap. We knew about 20 people all around us. Security stepped in the minute the youngest of the group got their hands on the joint and decided to eject them. Needless to say, the group was not happy. I remember the security guard saying something along the lines of we were doing narcotics.

Anyways, it was a **** show and completely unnecessary.

Last year, I wanted to smoke a cigarette and knowing that the festival was really clamping down on that, I exited the crowd and found a corner no one was in, ask a security guard if it was cool if a lit up over here. He got very upset and ended up taking my smokes, and pretty much following me the entire night. I never get into fights but I was tempted to hit this idiot .

Just bad experiences overall lately. They need to lighten up and let people have a good time within reason.

That's ridiculous. Its like saying you can't drink beer because all the non drinkers have to deal with drunks. The smoking laws have gone to far.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Last year was stellar due to its anniversary. Let Bluesfest have a meh year. That means next year will be better.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I kinda think it's better this year to be honest. The top end is obviously not there, but there are a ton of mid-range acts that are going to be fantastic. If my work sched wasn't so unpredictable I'd have no issue dropping $200 on the full pass this year.

P.S That Bill Burr add is phenomenal. Guy is one of the best in the business. I can't miss that one.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I kinda think it's better this year to be honest. The top end is obviously not there, but there are a ton of mid-range acts that are going to be fantastic. If my work sched wasn't so unpredictable I'd have no issue dropping $200 on the full pass this year.

P.S That Bill Burr add is phenomenal. Guy is one of the best in the business. I can't miss that one.

Question on Burr, is he doing a standup routine or (and for some reason I feel like this is true) he plays in a metal band for fun.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Wow, take a breath. Stay calm.

Wasn't Snoop Dogg smoking weed on stage last year? There was some artist that did. It's pretty ridiculous to be so aggressive against your paying costumers then let dudes toke up on stage.

The whole thing was a bad situation. All they had to do was say "put that out" and everything would have been cool. That was pretty much the worst way to handle it. I also take exception with the chicken **** rent a cop picking on the the weakest of the group instead of approaching the more mature people in the group. That's what I call a bully.

And LOL to "fear of retaliation from stoners".

Sounds like you and I would get along real well.

Re: weed, I think it might have been because you guys were in such a big group it made it obvious what you were doing. I've gotten away with it relatively easy at shows like the Hip, where only 3-5 of us were partaking.

Re: cigarettes, man, isn't it just the worst when you're in an environment like that and can't really go anywhere easily for a dart. I feel your pain on that one, but unfortunately, I'm not surprised security acted as they did when you were still within the Bluesfest grounds.

Re: "you're doing narctoics"... well, you are. :laugh:

Lineup is meh, but it looks like it will be lots of fun. I'm glad this thread isn't overrun with hipsters spouting off how amazing xxxxxx that we never heard of will be.

btw, Urban and Aldeen would have been hella expensive to book. Those acts will get tons of people. The country scene in Ottawa is enormous, people from the Valley will drive for hours to get here and watch these guys.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
No wonder the lineup seems lacking in depth. An act like Kanye would likely blow most of the budget. Seems odd to go all-in on such a polarizing figure.

He may be a polarizing personality, but I'd be willing to bet he'll have the largest crowd that bluesfest has seen in a long time, if not ever. I think this move is bluesfest trying to really put themselves on the map (not that they weren't already, but you know what I mean).

Valois

Feb 12, 2012
Ottawa
Kanye is going to be great, I can vouch for the fact he is a great performer after seeing him on his last tour. I just hope this doesn't devolve into a Glastonbury situation where a segment of the non fans get really vocal and start campaigns against it instead of just accepting that there are big artists some people hate who get invited to music festivals.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
He may be a polarizing personality, but I'd be willing to bet he'll have the largest crowd that bluesfest has seen in a long time, if not ever. I think this move is bluesfest trying to really put themselves on the map (not that they weren't already, but you know what I mean).

I'm fairly sure Kanye was there a few years ago, no?

Kanye will draw a good one, but a lot of people will stay away because of who he is. It won't be anywhere near the biggest crowds Bluesfest has seen.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Kanye wasn't very good last time he was at bluesfest and his ego and talents have both gone skyrocketing in different directions since. Such a sharp decline from College Dropout days imo.

That said the kids these days seem to love that stuff especially the drama a reality tv guy like that brings so should be huge for the fest in general. This show is all about the kids now so it's a no brainer to cater to that crowd.

littleD

Kanye wasn't very good last time he was at bluesfest and his ego and talents have both gone skyrocketing in different directions since. Such a sharp decline from College Dropout days imo.

That said the kids these days seem to love that stuff especially the drama a reality tv guy like that brings so should be huge for the fest in general. This show is all about the kids now so it's a no brainer to cater to that crowd.

Different opinions.

I loved his 2007 show, he had his best album with MBDTF.

And I sure couldn't give a **** about any of his so-called drama. Of course, at 37, I'm not really the target audience.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad