2015 NHL Entry Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
I feel sketchy about taking a D-man in the top 10... would rather go for a centre and use our 2nd on a D-man.

The year we drafted Ceci, he was 9 of 15 defenceman drafted in the top 15! Now..unless we pick in the 3-6 range for Hennepin or Kylington, I would tend to agree with you on getting a forward otherwise.

I also think we will draft a goalie with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I also think we will draft a goalie with a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Our organizational depth in goal is alarmingly thin, especially if Lehner doesn't come around soon. No question that we absolutely have to come out of this draft with at least one top shelf goaltending prospect.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Our organizational depth in goal is alarmingly thin, especially if Lehner doesn't come around soon. No question that we absolutely have to come out of this draft with at least one top shelf goaltending prospect.

Goalie is one of those positions, where there is only so much ice time between the NHL and AHL squads (4 spots, basically). As such, it isn't bad to simply go out and trade for a guy who is being stuck in a numbers game at the age of 20 (no room at the AHL level) or being stuck in a contract waivers issue later (like we got Bishop from the Blues).

Looking at a team like Tampa again has Gudlevskis as their back-up in the AHL, might make sense to trade for him to be our Bingo Starter. Or a team like Anaheim might trade Bobkov, because they simply don't have room to let him play with Gibson ahead of him as the heir apparent. There are other teams in similar situations, but the advantage is you get to trade for a guy with less risk given you have seen them succeed at the higher levels when drafted, but typically don't have to give up a higher pick than when drafted. Even drafting goalies in the 2nd round, half seem to bust within 3-4 years. 1st rounders aren't much better.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Goalie is one of those positions, where there is only so much ice time between the NHL and AHL squads (4 spots, basically). As such, it isn't bad to simply go out and trade for a guy who is being stuck in a numbers game at the age of 20 (no room at the AHL level) or being stuck in a contract waivers issue later (like we got Bishop from the Blues).

Looking at a team like Tampa again has Gudlevskis as their back-up in the AHL, might make sense to trade for him to be our Bingo Starter. Or a team like Anaheim might trade Bobkov, because they simply don't have room to let him play with Gibson ahead of him as the heir apparent. There are other teams in similar situations, but the advantage is you get to trade for a guy with less risk given you have seen them succeed at the higher levels when drafted, but typically don't have to give up a higher pick than when drafted. Even drafting goalies in the 2nd round, half seem to bust within 3-4 years. 1st rounders aren't much better.

True. Adequate goalies can be acquired. Not all star starters. But adequate ones hat can fill in. I feel coaching is also a huge part of goalie development.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
True. Adequate goalies can be acquired. Not all star starters. But adequate ones hat can fill in. I feel coaching is also a huge part of goalie development.

Well, Emery is the only starter we ever drafted. Anderson, Hasek, Lalime and others were all traded for or signed.

So basically, the best goaltenders we've had were not drafted.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Wouldn't be surprised to see Ottawa end up with 3 First Round Picks this year.

If we can't retain Methot, he would probably net us a first, as well as packaging our two seconds.

That's also not taking into consideration whatever we get back for Neil and Phillips if they are dealt.

Draft the best avail C, D and W, then call it a day.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
2 players I want

1) 6'3 200 pound LW Lawson Crouse would be a nice fit

2) 6'5 185 pounds RHD Brandon Carlo

Karlsson2Turris*

2 players I want

1) 6'3 200 pound LW Lawson Crouse would be a nice fit

2) 6'5 185 pounds RHD Brandon Carlo

People overrate size too much around here.

As lethal said, I want skill

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We need elite skill. True game breakers. We have enough size.

We have some elite skill, Hoffman is tied with Forsberg in rookie goals & most consider Forsberg to be an elite talent. Stone is having a pretty good first yr & has more pts than Hoffman right now. Ryan is suppose to be an elite goal scorer, isn't he? Turris & MacArthur have been hot & cold but they too can & have potential to be better pt producers. Than there is everyone's favourite on here Karlsson who is an elite defenceman, is he not? Ceci is getting better every yr & we have Puempel coming who has sniper potential. I also expect Zibanejad at some point to score a little more consistently & become an elite player as most on here said he would eventually become. He was drafted fairly high after all. So we do have some skill on this team & a number of game changers as you say.

We have size but they are mostly a bunch of cream puffs, no toughness to speak of with this team except for Neil & Boroweicki. It would be nice to get a big tough skilled forward who isn't afraid to get his nose dirty like Simmons & can also score consistently. IMO Ottawa needs bottom six players who are big, tough & can produce some much needed secondary scoring, something Condra, Pageau & Lazar are not providing consistently at all right now. At least Legwand, Michalek & Chiasson are producing some pts considering their ice time & line mates at times but they could be better too or replaced with better players. Ottawa also needs a very good faceoff guy in the bottom six, Ottawa only won 22% of faceoffs tonight in the 2nd period. That is pathetic & a big reason we are stuck in our end so much.

provorov hes good... and hes not swedish. just for you aragon
Thank you / merci beaucoup / muchos gracious / obregado.

since92

May 9, 2011
I'd love to see us draft Matthew Barzal or Travis Konecny with our 1st. BPA obviously but with an premium put on skill. If we can package the seconds with our 1st and move up into the second tier (4,5,6) I'd love to target Strome or Marner. Ive watched him live in London and he looked awesome.

With one of our seconds I'd like to see who drops but a skilled PMD LD like Tomas Chabot would be a solid pick. I don't think he will fall to us at ~50ishOA but he has skills and would help our transition in the left side.
With our other 2nd I want top rated G Mackenzie Blackwood. Our goalie prospect depth is nil and its time to groom a successor for either Anderson's eventual decline or if Lehner fails to take the reigns. Seems like the skaters are getting all the love this draft but I think having the luxury of 2 2nds we could pick up a blue chip goalie.

Last edited:

since92

May 9, 2011
I'd do back flips if we ended up with Marner.

Marner's hands and vision was the lasting impression he left me with. He's one of those players who just sees the game 3 steps ahead of everyone else. I honestly would package all three (1st, 2x2nds) for him I'm that sold.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Marner's hands and vision was the lasting impression he left me with. He's one of those players who just sees the game 3 steps ahead of everyone else. I honestly would package all three (1st, 2x2nds) for him I'm that sold.

We are in a good position right now to draft him, it seems. We wouldn't even have to lose any picks!

since92

May 9, 2011
We are in a good position right now to draft him, it seems. We wouldn't even have to lose any picks!

If he drops to us without moving any picks it will feel like when we drafted Karlsson after he fell to us. Kids gonna be good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad