2015 IIHF World Junior Championships discussion thread Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroPT*

Small sample size but little comparison

McDavid: 6GP 3G 8A +11
Eichel: 4GP 1G 3A -3

That's really unfair towards Eichel. He was the hub of his team. If he had Reinhart getting all the tough checking assignments and top units he would have tore it up.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
That's really unfair towards Eichel. He was the hub of his team. If he had Reinhart getting all the tough checking assignments and top units he would have tore it up.

I know he's a year older but Reinhart managed just fine

KennyFnPowers*

I wanna talk to Sampson!!!

2017 - Sabres win their first Stanley Cup. BOOK IT!

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013

I made the same point after USA got eliminated. Also, didnt McDavid have half of his points against Germany and Denmark?

Last edited:

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Eichel played the same teams as McDavid, minus Denmark

I didnt mean to quote you. I meant to quote the other guy. Earlier i said the biggest difference between Eichel and McDavid this tournament was Reinhart. CAN didnt lean as heavily on McDavid like USA did on Eichel.

My point wasnt about him playing same teams as much as half his points came against the 2 weaker teams in the tournament.

ZeroPT*

am I wrong?

No. My point was that McDavid played lesser competition because of Reinhart. Eichel was the heart of team USA. It's not fair to compare them.

Eichel drew the tough checking assignments and top D-pairs (vs Canada he was against Reinhart all night) and McDavid was able to play lesser players

KennyFnPowers*

am I wrong?

probably.. most certainly a troll. McDavid did not live up to expectations in this tournament. Period. All of Canada would probably agree to that (and you could see/hear it in the media throughout the duration).

McDavid also had a hell of a lot better supporting cast/team than Eichel did » CAN was obviously superior to US. He missed on a ton of opportunities, he looked nervous, but he did score the no-brainer, gimmies.

No reason to even argue this... if you don't want to admit it, whatever. Nice rose-colored glasses braah.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
probably.. most certainly a troll. McDavid did not live up to expectations in this tournament. Period. All of Canada would probably agree to that (and you could see/hear it in the media throughout the duration).

McDavid also had a hell of a lot better supporting cast/team than Eichel did » CAN was obviously superior to US. He missed on a ton of opportunities, he looked nervous, but he did score the no-brainer, gimmies.

No reason to even argue this... if you don't want to admit it, whatever. Nice rose-colored glasses braah.

McDavid started slowly but at the end of the day he put up more points than Crosby did in his draft year WJC. I'm not sure what expectations were but they shouldn't have been particularly high because draft year players pretty much never dominate the tournament. McDavid was great in the last few games. Yes, circumstance made it easier for him than it did Eichel but I don't really see how he didn't meet expectations.

KennyFnPowers*

McDavid started slowly but at the end of the day he put up more points than Crosby did in his draft year WJC. I'm not sure what expectations were but they shouldn't have been particularly high because draft year players pretty much never dominate the tournament. McDavid was great in the last few games. Yes, circumstance made it easier for him than it did Eichel but I don't really see how he didn't meet expectations.

Eichel made his team better, he just looked like a pro amongst kids out there (including his own teammate). I honestly, and nothing agaaainst him, just did not get that same OMG this kid is nuts vibe from McNasty. I know he's sick, I just think the hype has eclipsed the actual amount of talent he possesses. That is all. not trying to troll the kid. he's just a kid after all. i'm sure he'll win a few Cups when all is said and done.

ZeroPT*

Eichel made his team better, he just looked like a pro amongst kids out there (including his own teammate). I honestly, and nothing agaaainst him, just did not get that same OMG this kid is nuts vibe from McNasty. I know he's sick, I just think the hype has eclipsed the actual amount of talent he possesses. That is all. not trying to troll the kid. he's just a kid after all. i'm sure he'll win a few Cups when all is said and done.

when he was passing the puck yes. Unfortunately that rarely happened.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
when he was passing the puck yes. Unfortunately that rarely happened.

I think we can all agree that Eichel did try to do it all on his own to much at times... but where was Tuch? When Eichel was dangling 2 or 3 players, I literally dont think I saw Tuch in a position to give Eichel an option. And there were times where Eichel DID get past those 2 or 3 defenders to not have a shot AND not have a team mate to pass too...

I dont think USA had as much depth as most had thought pre-tournament. Either that, or many of the players just had a poor tournament overall. I tend to lean towards the latter.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Both players made their teams better because they're good players. What Eichel did or didn't do is one thing but it shouldn't impact whether the other (McDavid) met expectations. If people thought McDavid didn't meet expectations their expectations were probably too high. Like I said, you hardly ever see a player this age dominate the tournament.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

and I'm the troll :laugh:

Tied for tourney lead in points in his first games back from being off 6 weeks with a broken hand. You sure I'm the one wearing the glasses?

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=747318

http://www.sportsnet.ca/blogs/the-spin/mcdavids-star-burns-brightly-but-not-alone/

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...erformance-team-canada-world-juniors-one-ages

Yeah all of Canada and the media definitely agree with you man. In fact, find me one article that says he was underwhelming. You're just making stuff up at this point

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto

Wow...that is the most ridiculous statement I've heard yet.

KennyFnPowers*

Wow...that is the most ridiculous statement I've heard yet.

Eh, there's "no reason to even argue this" so don't even worry about it.

blame the hype machine... if you had an argument you'd probably make it... this board isn't (completely) censored.. state your case. or just make more snarky non-constructive comments. ah right, the anonymous public internet forum status quo » that's more like it!

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
blame the hype machine... if you had an argument you'd probably make it... this board isn't (completely) censored.. state your case. or just make more snarky non-constructive comments. ah right, the anonymous public internet forum status quo » that's more like it!

make his case???? Did you even read the links? Every sports website posted McDavid was impressive and you come back with this? Make his case? There is three links for you to read. How about you make your case? I guess you just look at the stats. Wait! Even if you were looking at the stats you would realize he tied the lead in points and the kid is only 17. Sounds like you read something completely different then what is typed.

But in the big picture, McDavid will be the one remembered with one of the most impressive individual performances by an under-18 Canadian player.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...erformance-team-canada-world-juniors-one-ages
But in the big picture, McDavid will be the one remembered with one of the most impressive individual performances by an under-18 Canadian player.

His breakaway goal against Russia in the gold-medal game gave him 11 points. It's a total topped only Wayne Gretzky and Eric Lindros among Canadians in this tournament.

Your post....just wow.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

"The hype Machine" is THE most USELESS thing to compare a player to. IMO, hyping a player has ZERO impact on a player's worth and value.

As a 17 year old kid who is very skilled, McDavid did just fine especially in a U-20 tournament. Of course he was behind Reinhart and got the lighter load of competition. Why should anybody downplay McDavid's play because of a coach's decision? The coach is trying put his TEAM in a position to win, he can't care less about what facing McDavid vs Eicel will do to their draft status.

All we can go on is the ice time he had, what he did during that time, and look how well or bad he did.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Let me start by saying I think that McDavid solidified his hold on #1, and I thought Eichel started trying to do too much the latter stages of USA's tourney. McDavid had the better tournament overall, IMO, but I thought Eichel was better earlier in the tournament. Some will assert the injury factor for McDavid, and that may be true, but that doesn't change the fact that I thought Eichel was the better player for the first 3-4 games.

Also, as others stated, I think McDavid had a much easier go of it. Reinhart was playing against and getting matched up against every other team's top forwards and defense pairings. That's a huge advantage for McD, who would otherwise get those matchups. Eichel was facing teams' top checking lines and defensive pairings on every shift. That's at least relevant to the analysis.

I also think Osiecki did a terrible job with the lines. Like Milano or not, he's another guy who can create, and instead of playing him with Eichel--and thereby taking some of the playmaking weight of Jack's shoulders--Osiecki stuck Milano with Larkin and Fasching, who were having no issues creating opportunities regardless of their third linemate. Then instead of giving Eichel-Tuch a skilled third linemate like Schmaltz or Milano, he frequently gave them Miles Wood or John Hayden--they also had Motte, who's a nice player, but not in any way a creative player.

Small sample size but little comparison

McDavid: 6GP 3G 8A +11
Eichel: 4GP 1G 3A -3

Didn't Canada play seven games and the USA five?

Honest question: How many of those points were against USA, Finland, and Russia for McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad