2015 IIHF World Junior Championships discussion thread Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Groulx was just interviewed and he said that the day the Sabres sent Reinhart down he texted Groulx and said, " Coach I just got sent down. We are going to win the Gold Medal."

He did so much heavy lifting to "protect" McJesus it is not even funny.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Not a single one of those guys will be eligible next year

Ahh thanks for correcting me. Bummer, thought Bailey was at least eligible. Guess one of the local sports reporters was wrong. (When he was cut, they said he could play next year.) Anthony Florentino then? - Sean Malone? We have a prospect out there whose eligible? Guess we have to trade for someone or draft someone then.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Ahh thanks for correcting me. Bummer, thought Bailey was at least eligible. Guess one of the local sports reporters was wrong. (When he was cut, they said he could play next year.) Anthony Florentino then? - Sean Malone? We have a prospect out there whose eligible? Guess we have to trade for someone or draft someone then.

Well, it's an under 20 tournament. I'm not sure what the exact cutoff is regarding birthdates, but any player who was eligible for the 2013 draft (such as Florentino) will not be eligible for the 2015-2016 tournament (as they'd had to have turned 18 before September 15, 2013). Older players who only became eligible for the 2014 draft, like Reinhart, will also be too old for the tournament. It might be that every 95 is, I'm not sure on that point. Like I said, I don't know the specific cutoff date.

The only 96s in the Sabres system right now are: Christopher Brown, Eric Cornel, Vaclav Karabacek, Brendan Lemieux and Brycen Martin

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Well, it's an under 20 tournament. I'm not sure what the exact cutoff is regarding birthdates, but any player who was eligible for the 2013 draft (such as Florentino) will not be eligible for the 2015-2016 tournament (as they'd had to have turned 18 before September 15, 2013). Older players who only became eligible for the 2014 draft, like Reinhart, will also be too old for the tournament. It might be that every 95 is, I'm not sure on that point. Like I said, I don't know the specific cutoff date.

The only 96s in the Sabres system right now are: Christopher Brown, Eric Cornel, Vaclav Karabacek, Brendan Lemieux and Brycen Martin

I believe all age-specific IIHF tournaments go by the full year. If you turn 20 in 2015 (95's) or later then you were eligible for this year's tournament. In 2016 only 96's and later will be eligible, no 95's. Not counting the younger players we'll draft this year it's not a particularly impressive group at this juncture, which makes sense as last year's draft sucked for depth and that two of our picks (Willman, Olofsson) were in their second eligible draft. Lemieux should have a great chance if he continues his production, but his antics might keep Team Canada away. They've become quite sensitive to the penalty issues they have in international play. Karabacek should be a lock despite the silliness that happened this year.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Groulx was just interviewed and he said that the day the Sabres sent Reinhart down he texted Groulx and said, " Coach I just got sent down. We are going to win the Gold Medal."

Amazing. Love seeing that level of confidence, and he followed through with it too. :yo:
I don't care who the media voted, for me he's the tournament MVP. He scored in every game and tied for the lead in points overall, he was on the #1 PK and PP, he facilitated the tournament's best line, he shut down other teams' best lines, he scored the golden goal (and 2 other game winners), and he played pretty much the entire last 2 minutes of the gold medal game to protect the 1-goal lead and won the final faceoff to sealed the deal.

Devo-2

Apr 1, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
Say what you want to about it is a stat, but I checked to see who had a better +/- than Sam's +13 at a WJC and I had to go back ten years to the dream team of 04/05 and Getzlaf's +14.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Sam was the best player of the tournament IMO, you guys have got a great prospect. He does everything right. Domi was more flashy, but without Sam we wouldn't have won, simple as that.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Going to put this in here and the Prospect Repository thread. Pronman did his write-up of all drafted prospects that played in the WJC by NHL team that drafted the players, and then assigned a letter grade to the team. Buffalo and Winnipeg were the only two teams that earned an "A".

Buffalo Sabres: A

J.T. Compher was USA's fourth-line center, but was used in different situations and on special teams throughout the tournament. He showed fine speed, skill and work ethic. He wasn't a standout in any respect, but he was somewhat noticeable.

Hudson Fasching hasn't been as impressive during his sophomore campaign at Minnesota as he was a freshman. But at this tournament, he showed some of the same promise he displayed last season. Fasching is a big, power winger with good speed, who can kill penalties and has the skill to score as a pro. He wasn't always in the offensive mix, but he certainly created a fair amount of chances both at even strength and on the penalty kill.

Victor Olofsson has had a nice season in Sweden, but in the tournament, he didn't play a ton and wasn't very noticeable at even strength. He has a great shot and a fine skill level, but possesses a small frame and is a fringe NHL prospect as of now.

Sam Reinhart was my vote for tournament MVP. He was Canada's horse all tournament long. He was first over the boards for a power play or penalty kill, and centered the top line, which was used heavily against every opponent's top line. Despite playing tough minutes, he was one of the top scorers at the tournament, displaying his elite hockey sense and vision regularly.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/stor...InsiderTwitter_Pronman_TeamGradesWJCProspects

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Reinhart was absolutely brilliant from the Finland game right until the end. I have no doubts if when he gets stronger he is a franchise center. His board play and ability to be stronger on the puck need to improve, and he can always get quicker but besides that he has alot going for him.

Compher looked alright, I still have my doubts about him being anything more then a Torrey Mitchell type of player with an edge but that is still valuable. Fasching to me looks like a legit PF prospect who can play all over your line up, he seems to play in straight lines and goes to the net. I can see him playing anywhere from our first line to our 3rd line some day.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - Canada Hangs On To Beat Russia - Ends World Juniors Gold Medal Drought - Canadian Press - TSN.ca - Monday, January 5.

Toronto, Ontario - The sweetest sound was the final buzzer. Canada built a four-goal lead on Russia and could taste Gold at the World Junior Championships. What followed was a harrowing struggle just to hold on. "We didn't panic or certainly tried not to panic," Sam Reinhart said.

There were moments of panic, but by the time Monday night was over, gold medals were hanging around the players' necks and they sang along with "O Canada" while locking arms on the blue-line on home ice at Air Canada Centre after a thrilling 5-4 victory over Russia. It wasn't easy, but Canada's World Junior Gold-Medal drought that dated to 2009 was no more. "We're World Junior Champions, we're World Champions. It's joy," Connor McDavid said. "We were never really under pressure. The media and all the fans might've been putting that pressure on us, but we were just able to brush it off. Right now this is just absolute joy."

Joy was heightened by the emotional twists and turns of this Gold-Medal game, another classic in the passionate rivalry between Canada and Russia that began with the 1972 Summit Series. This will go down as another unforgettable piece of Canada-Russia history. "This was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and experience and we took advantage of it," Max Domi said. "It's awesome. No matter what happens in our lives, we're always going to remember this."

Anthony Duclair scored to give Canada the lead and ignite the crowd of 19,004 just 23 seconds in, and Russian starting goaltender Igor Shestyorkin was chased after Nick Paul scored the second goal less than three minutes in. Thanks to goals from McDavid, Domi and Reinhart, Canada proceeded to build a four-goal lead at 5-1, and this looked like it would follow the script of past games in this tournament.

This veteran team led by 19-year-old captain Curtis Lazar, a rookie with the Ottawa Senators, had never trailed and cruised into the final. Goal by goal the lead got smaller, and at 5-4 coach Benoit Groulx was forced to use his timeout to settle a rattled team that looked like teenagers for the first time. "That's no question the most adversity we've faced throughout the tournament," Reinhart said.

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.tsn.ca/canada-hangs-on-to-beat-russia-end-world-juniors-gold-medal-drought-1.175650

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - World Junior Championships - Gold Medal Game - Canada Back On Top Of The Junior Hockey World -
Captures Gold Medal - 5-4 Win Over Russia - WorldJunior2015.com - Monday, January 5.

Toronto, Ontario - Canada twice had the Russians on the ropes, and twice the Russians got back into the game, falling just short in a dramatic and tense gold-medal showdown. Loud, proud, and sold right out, the 19,014 fans who packed into the Air Canada Centre were treated to another special battle between the two greatest hockey countries. In the end, Canada withstood a fierce comeback from Russia to win its first gold since 2009 and 16th title overall.

"This is amazing," gushed captain Curtis Lazar. "I really wanted to help Canada get back on top, and everyone did their part. I was just along for the ride. We had the momentum; we let it slip away a little bit, but we hung in there." Lazar was quick to credit the Toronto fans who flocked to games both with Canada and without in remarkable numbers. "The crowd supported us and was with us every step of the way. They were so loud, and to sing the national anthem along with them was special."

Max Domi had a goal and two assists to give him ten points for the tournament, fourth in the scoring race behind three Canadian teammates who all had eleven -
Sam Reinhart, Nic Petan, and Connor McDavid. "We’re World Junior Champions," said McDavid succinctly. "It’s joy. Right now, this is just absolute joy."

The Russians had goals from four different scorers, but on this night it was goaltending that was much of the story. "It was 5-4," lamented Nikolai Goldobin. "Just one goal. And we had the whole third period to score. We started pretty badly. We allowed two goals, weak goals. But we have a great team."

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/can-rus-gold/

Game Summary/Boxscore - WJC Gold Medal Game - Canada 5 Russia 4 - Monday, January 5 - Stats.IIHF.com -
http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417131_74_3_0.pdf

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Game Recap - World Junior Championships - Bronze Medal Game - Slovakia Stuns Sweden 4-2 -
First Medal Since 1999 - WorldJunior2015.com - Monday, January 5.

Toronto, Ontario - In a true Cinderella story, Slovakia upset Sweden 4-2 in the Bronze Medal Game. Pavol Skalicky got the third-period winner during a five-minute power play. For the Slovaks, this was a monumental victory. Their one and only previous World Junior medal (bronze) came in 1999 in Winnipeg. "It was a great experience for all of us," said captain Martin Reway. "We did a great job from the first game to the last."

At the end of the second period, Swedish defenceman Julius Bergman got his stick up into the face of Slovakia’s Patrik Koys. Bergman was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct, giving the Slovaks a huge opportunity. Then at 2:52 of the third, Skalicky gave Slovakia a 3-2 lead with a quick, low shot from just below the hash marks, set up nicely by Reway, who finished with three assists. Koys, David Soltes, and Mislav Rosandic also scored for Slovakia. William Nylander and Jens Looke replied for Sweden.

Godla, Slovakia's player of the game, became the darling of both the Montreal and Toronto crowds for his heroism under relentless fire. He made his fans at home in Slovakia very proud too with this last bravura performance. Shots on goal were even at 28 apiece. "Godla is an amazing guy," said Slovakia's Samuel Petras. "He has a lot of luck but he's very good. Everybody likes him. He's our hero. He's a rock star. He's everything for us, our god. We can pray to him because he's awesome."

The result is a huge disappointment for Sweden, which nowadays expects to at least make the World Junior gold medal game. Leading up to Toronto, the Swedes had appeared in three straight finals. "We have no excuses for losing this game," said Swedish captain Jacob de la Rose. "We didn’t play our best hockey. That’s reality."

Rest Of The Game Recap - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/games/2015-01-05/SWE-vs-SVK/

Game Summary/Boxscore - WJC Bronze Medal Game - Slovakia 4 Sweden 2 - Monday, January 5 - Stats.IIHF.com -
http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/417/IHM417130_74_4_0.pdf

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Godly Godla - Slovakia Goalie Named MVP - World Junior Tournament Award Winners Announced - WorldJunior2015.com - Monday, January 5.

He was the hero in Slovakia’s bronze-medal campaign. Now Denis Godla was named Most Valuable Player, Best Goalkeeper and All-Star Goalkeeper.
Godla was not only strong in the Bronze-Medal win against Sweden but also throughout the tournament.
He saved 224 of 242 shots on his goal for a save percentage of 92.56.

Individual Awards (Selected By The Directorate) - Best Goalkeeper - Denis Godla - Slovakia.
Best Defenceman - Vladislav Gavrikov - Russia. Best Forward - Max Domi - Canada.

Most Valuable Player (Selected By The Media) - Denis Godla - Goalkeeper - Slovakia.

All-Star Team (Selected By The Media) - Goalkeeper - Denis Godla - Slovakia. Defence - Gustav Forsling - Sweden.
Defence - Josh Morrissey - Canada.
Forward - Sam Reinhart - Canada. Forward - Max Domi - Canada. Forward - Connor McDavid - Canada.

Complete Article - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/godly-godla/

Groups For Helsinki 2016 - Host Finland To Face Silver Medalists Russia - WorldJunior2015.com - Monday, January 5.

Groups - 2016 IIHF World Junior Championship - Helsinki, Finland.
Group A - Canada - Sweden - United States - Denmark - Switzerland.
Group B - Russia - Slovakia - Czech Republic - Finland - Belarus.

Complete Article - http://www.worldjunior2015.com/en/news/groups-for-helsinki-2016/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad